g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 19: Morocco vs Portugal | England vs France (QF 3&4)

croadyman

Why? Struggling to see what Deschamps would get credit for tonight that Southgate wouldn’t. England were the better team in every metric.
Jeez don't say that I am finding in hard to forget about it. Definitely gonna be a sleepless night thinking what IF

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Jeez don't say that I am finding in hard to forget about it. Definitely gonna be a sleepless night thinking what IF
Just pretend England never existed and move on with your life, it's what I do every tournament.

Bury all feelings deep down its totally healthy.

With every major tournament come up with a plan to deal with England disappointment because its bound to happen at some point.

TheLiverBird

Whyyyy did he change run up on that second one,damn it letting his club teammate get in his head at the wrong time.
That’s exactly why he changed the run up, his head was simply gone for the second penalty

with hindsight it sounds great now to say why wasn’t a 2nd penalty taker thought of in this scenario?…..it’s Harry Kane, before the miss, Most would have said he’s probably got this

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
That’s exactly why he changed the run up, his head was simply gone for the second penalty

with hindsight it sounds great now to say why wasn’t a 2nd penalty taker thought of in this scenario?…..it’s Harry Kane, before the miss, Most would have said he’s probably got this
The first pen was unsaveable imo. Just bury it same side.

wangyu

@slyadams

Well that’s a good post and I agree with most you said. But I just didn’t feel England was going to pull it off, it lacked a spark to me, something that France did have today. Despite being dominated I think France generally felt ok with it. They were still able to produce good counterattacks. It was reminiscent of the game vs Belgium 4 years earlier. Belgians felt hard done by but in the end France was quite comfortable for most of the game.

I name Shaw as lacking that spark for example. He lost a few duels in the air where he didn’t even jump, Foden disappeared in the 2nd half when England was at their best. Saka was both good and bad. He got dispossessed a lot and the ref never saw a fault. Let this happen to the Argentines and they roll around for 30sec making the ref nervous.
Stuff like that is simply needed imo if you want to go far.

It is always something with England BUT who knows maybe the players lacked the necessary experience, they’re young.
Keep in mind though this was practically a B side for France with all their injuries.

Those 50/50 games never go in favor of England and there must be a reason for that. For me it a lack of self believe. The fans have the same problem. The “ it’s coming home” chant is just a way of coping with failure tournament after tournament, the fans don’t believe in success either.

In Europe football fans say those English fans are arrogant but that is not how I see it, it is a trauma and the players have it too.

PS maybe passion doesn’t win games but a lack of passion certainly makes teams lose games.

croadyman

What made his head go is the big question

croadyman

@slyadams

Well that’s a good post and I agree with most you said. But I just didn’t feel England was going to pull it off, it lacked a spark to me, something that France did have today. Despite being dominated I think France generally felt ok with it. They were still able to produce good counterattacks. It was reminiscent of the game vs Belgium 4 years earlier. Belgians felt hard done by but in the end France was quite comfortable for most of the game.

I name Shaw as lacking that spark for example. He lost a few duels in the air where he didn’t even jump, Foden disappeared in the 2nd half when England was at their best. Saka was both good and bad. He got dispossessed a lot and the ref never saw a fault. Let this happen to the Argentines and they roll around for 30sec making the ref nervous.
Stuff like that is simply needed imo if you want to go far.

It is always something with England BUT who knows maybe the players lacked the necessary experience, they’re young.
Keep in mind though this was practically a B side for France with all their injuries.

Those 50/50 games never go in favor of England and there must be a reason for that. For me it a lack of self believe. The fans have the same problem. The “ it’s coming home” chant is just a way of coping with failure tournament after tournament, the fans don’t believe in success either.

In Europe football fans say those English fans are arrogant but that is not how I see it, it is a trauma and the players have it too.
Yeah it's clear as day the players lack self belief in those critical moments and just aren't clutch. I also think you are spot on about there being little belief we are going to end that long wait.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just finished the game. England will be kicking themselves. This game was there for the taking and they were they dominated after the 20 minute/ opening goal mark. Mbappe didn't do anything and France couldn't really get moves going.

The problem with England was
- Mental block they've always had in these big knockout games
- Their CBs who just had to cost them
- I think they could have done with one more attacker on the pitch. Foden and Saka are good but both semi midfielders. Rashford in place of Foden may have taken some fire power burden off Kane

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Have to say, don't feel anything like the despair I do when United lose. Quite a few pundits at the beginning of the tournament said that it was quite likely we would face Spain in the QF and didn't expect us to get beyond that. I agreed. The sad thing is France didn't play all that well so we had a chance and didn't take it. I really feel Southgate has taken the team as far as he can and we now need a much more experienced national team manager.

On a separate note, I wonder if Portugal will now approach one Jose Mourinho...

Houdini

Close game. Upa with several brainfarts, Maguire with one (the Giroud goal). Kane is not to blame, he was under huge pressure. At the end of the day, keepers were the difference.

BorisManUtd

Whyyyy did he change run up on that second one,damn it letting his club teammate get in his head at the wrong time.
Shame, but I did have the feeling he'd miss after scoring first one, especially as it was as you say against his club teammate.

Zetrio2002

Why is Morocco wearing Spain and portugal's national colors? Like 80% red 20% green

Danny

Close game. Upa with several brainfarts, Maguire with one (the Giroud goal). Kane is not to blame, he was under huge pressure. At the end of the day, keepers were the difference.
Giroud goal not on Maguire. He had to react late due to Stones not picking up?