Day 2: Chile vs. Australia

Maksimilian

Was watchin a show on tele earlier this evening and they were interviewing the socceroos asking them questions about the Chilean National team. Questions like whats the capital city? leading goal scorer in history? etc. They then asked them to name 3 players from the Chile squad......and only Bresciano and I think one more Socceroo could guess 3. Some ddnt even know who Sanchez was.

If this wasnt a piss take (which I dont think it was) its extremely frightning and telling of how pathetic we are. To not know everything about your opponent a few days before a game is disturbing. Surely the coaching staff should have done better educating the squad. To think these players havnt studied their opposition players from the second the draw was made is so unprofessional

Cina

Do people think there should be a separate thread for each game or one for each match day (bar England games). I think the latter generally looks better, otherwise we could see some really barren threads for certain games, but whatever.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Do people think there should be a separate thread for each game or one for each match day (bar England games). I think the latter generally looks better, otherwise we could see some really barren threads for certain games, but whatever.
This is true. But let's say you want to discuss England vs Italy on day 3 and it's in the middle of another game. That discussion is going to get lost in the inane chatter that is in-game posting.

I was against it at first but I don't mind making separate threads.

Maksimilian

I read an article saying the nation would celebrate if they even manage to score a goal in their 3 games before going out.
Nah thats bull S. The casual fans actually think we will do ok thanks to our 'fightin aussie spirit'. They dont care who the opposition is, nor would they know if theyre good or not. The football experts in the country all seem to be ripping into everything : squad, training, preperation etc. The experts are probly more correct, but ide rather they show a little more optimism (even if its misguided).

For example the mainstream media is mentioning how we 'mite do well' because our players are taller, and Chilss defenders wont be able to jump higher than Cahill

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Nah thats bull S. The casual fans actually think we will do ok thanks to our 'fightin aussie spirit'. They dont care who the opposition is, nor would they know if theyre good or not. The football experts in the country all seem to be ripping into everything : squad, training, preperation etc. The experts are probly more correct, but ide rather they show a little more optimism (even if its misguided).

For example the mainstream media is mentioning how we 'mite do well' because our players are taller, and Chilss defenders wont be able to jump higher than Cahill
I'm glad to hear it's not that dire, I've enjoyed some of Australia's games in the past, that 2-1 win over Serbia in 2010 was a great game.

Maksimilian

I'm glad to hear it's not that dire, I've enjoyed some of Australia's games in the past, that 2-1 win over Serbia in 2010 was a great game.
Not for me I'm Serbian-Australian :lol::lol:

But yeah they always punch above their weight. That 2006 game against Japan was great, as was the comeback against Croatia (Who were both clearly better teams). We also played well against heavyweights Brazil and Italy at that tournament. But we did have much better players than at 2010 and 2014.

JefferiesTube

I hope 90% of the game takes place in Australia's half with only Chile GK in their half. 21 player mad scramble :D

Malva

My man Valdivia will lead the Chileans to glory.
Aye.

Chile is my darkhorse pick of the tournament.

Valdivia is such a genius passer. I'd honestly consider him one of the 10 best passers in the world period.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Was watchin a show on tele earlier this evening and they were interviewing the socceroos asking them questions about the Chilean National team. Questions like whats the capital city? leading goal scorer in history? etc. They then asked them to name 3 players from the Chile squad......and only Bresciano and I think one more Socceroo could guess 3. Some ddnt even know who Sanchez was.

If this wasnt a piss take (which I dont think it was) its extremely frightning and telling of how pathetic we are. To not know everything about your opponent a few days before a game is disturbing. Surely the coaching staff should have done better educating the squad. To think these players havnt studied their opposition players from the second the draw was made is so unprofessional
That really is depressing if true.

I think Chile will win this 2-0, though this match is probably our best chance of getting any points.

MarcRed96

Chile should win this comfortably, probably 2 or 3-0. Sanchez will likely cause Australia all sorts of problems and I reckon he'll score at least once.

ea385

Vamos Chile. We must top the group and avoid Brazil. Freaking Brazil.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Ange won't set Australia up to park the bus. I can see Chile winning comfortably.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Chile to win this comfortably, Australia are one of the worst sides in the whole WC.

jus

I don't think we'll do as bad as most are suggesting. Some people honestly think we'll get beaten 6-0 in every match because we lost 6-0 twice last year. I think we'll get a point at least. I hope we do well though because I can 't stand the negativity. It's fecking depressing. I feel so priviliged to be alive at a time where I see Australia play in 1 World Cup let alone 3 in a row. It's a massive achievement for this country... people like to take things for granted though

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I don't think we'll do as bad as most are suggesting. Some people honestly think we'll get beaten 6-0 in every match because we lost 6-0 twice last year. I think we'll get a point at least. I hope we do well though because I can 't stand the negativity. It's fecking depressing. I feel so priviliged to be alive at a time where I see Australia play in 1 World Cup let alone 3 in a row. It's a massive achievement for this country... people like to take things for granted though
The Aussie Rules supporters here in Australia will be over the moon if the Socceroos get smashed three times in the group stage.

ManUnitedLover

Aussies have a decent side, Bresciano, Jedinak, Cahill, Ryan, Langerak and Troisi, to name a few. However in my opinion the likes of Medel, Sanchez and Valdivia will prove too strong.

Look out for Luongo and Wright, they play in Leagu 1 in England.

Chile 3-1 Australia.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Well, I'm looking forward to this one, I rate Chile. I just want to see one match at this WC not affected by shocking referees. Hoping for 4th time lucky.

Bwuk

Australia will get battered all three games. No shame when you consider the opposition.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
confirmed Chile 11:

----------Claudio Bravo---------
Isla----Medel--------Jara-----Mena
---------------Díaz------------------
---Vidal------------Aranguiz--------
-------------Valdivia---------------
----Sanchez----------Vargas-------

crazy... Hoping for a big victory.

vanthaman

Winner
Absolutely shattered but gonna try and watch as much as this as possible then watch rest in morning, hopefully this will not be boring

Dylan94

Well, I don't think it will quite live up to the last game, but all 3 of them have been pretty good so far so here's hoping that continues. And it should be another interesting game. Chile have got some good players and Australia are not an easy team to beat.

Sam

I don't think I can handle another match. I'm knackered.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Say what you want but this World Cup has been a cracker!