Day 2: Chile vs. Australia

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Proud of the boys. Feared we wouldn't get a shot on target at the tournament, so to be able to score a goal and put in a positive performance is very pleasing.

Eila

Spain played well as usual at the beginning. Chile - Spain will not be easy for Chile, that's for sure. Good to see Chile winning this one, because it means Spain absolutely have to win the next match. Shall be fun as a neutral.

Nomadic

I think so. Chile were crap against a limited but resilient and courageous team. Spain were destroyed by great tactics and world class players who put the fear of God in them. Huge difference, and we're talking about the World Champions here. Teams like that don't go crap over night. No need for the kneejerk reaction you gave me.
Didn't you watch Utd this season?

Ruht

This game was a bit too late for me to catch sadly, how were the Chileans? They are one of my teams to watch in this WC, love what I've seen from them.

Heard the Aussies had a good performance, might have conceded 3 but they should still be proud considering the squad they have.

rpitchfo

This game was a bit too late for me to catch sadly, how were the Chileans? They are one of my teams to watch in this WC, love what I've seen from them.

Heard the Aussies had a good performance, might have conceded 3 but they should still be proud considering the squad they have.
obviously for me too, my attempt to watch every minute of every game sadly ended at some point during the first half. Woke up confused on the sofa at about 3am :(.

SeaCarrot

Obviously disappointed with the result, but encouraged by the effort. On another day with more cliches it could have been different, bit of sloppy defending/keeping and a lapse in the final minutes prevented a 1-1. We weren't outclassed that's for sure.

Sadly it was most likely our best chance to pick up points in the cup but the pressure is off now and I hope we throw the barn door at Spain just like the Netherlands did. Who knows we could get lucky. Hoping that wasn't our last goal of the tourney.

I actually think Ange's style of play would be pretty suited to a quality bunch of players in a European league; but we'll likely never know.

Lyricist

obviously for me too, my attempt to watch every minute of every game sadly ended at some point during the first half. Woke up confused on the sofa at about 3am :(.

Chile started amazingly well. Lots of energy, lots of speed, constantly sprinting and fluid in movement. Somebody called their approach early on "gung-ho" which fits it well. After 13 mins I believe they were 2-0 up. Australia looked like a Championship team at best at that point. Chile then lost their energy a bit though and Australia grew back into it. Australia kind of out of nowhere then scored the 2-1 through a Cahill header after a cross from the right. Funnily Chile's central defense apparently consisted of a DM and a FB, who are both a little short...even shorter than Cahill.
From that point on, and all the way through the second half, Chile were absolutely shitting bricks. They completely lost their game, misplaced the easiest short passes, failed to control balls, etc...the complete package. You could still tell Chile's technical ability was about twice as good as Australia's but they looked absolutely shellshocked. Australia despite also misplacing passes and not being able to control easy balls had more than enough chances to equalize in the second half and actually scored an equalizer that was RIGHTFULLY called off though. Good decision by the African ref there (talk about unexperienced refs).
In the 92nd minute or something like that Chile then scored the 3-1 when Australia weren't tracking back well enough anymore. The goalie managed to keep the first effort out but the second effort, a low drive from about 20 yards out, was too well placed for the goalie to get there. 3-1 Chile, they needed the 3 points and will be glad about the 2 goal advantage as well! But kind of like the 3-1 in the opening game, the final score doesn't necessarily give the actual match justice.