Day 2: Wales vs Switzerland | Denmark vs Finland | Belgium vs Russia

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The rules don't look at it that way. Active/passive is a question of proximity and moving towards the ball and/or directly interfering with play (e.g. blocking a defender or the GKs vision). Refs aren't supposed to guess why defenders behave the way they do and in any case the cross came right at the defender, it was almost impossible not to play it in some way.
Fair enough. Proximity and direction of travel seem sensible indicators to base the judgment on. Whatever indicators you use, there’ll always be some exceptions that don’t feel right but fit within the agreed boundaries, so it’s an acceptable sacrifice. To me that’s one of those exceptions where it’s a bit stupid, clearly he tried to clear the ball because he was worried about Lukaku.

Nick7

I appreciate the Russians willingness to slide tackle at every single opportunity whether it’s needed or not.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Fair enough. Proximity and direction of travel seem sensible indicators to base the judgment on. Whatever indicators you use, there’ll always be some exceptions that don’t feel right but fit within the agreed boundaries, so it’s an acceptable sacrifice. To me that’s one of those exceptions where it’s a bit stupid, clearly he tried to clear the ball because he was worried about Lukaku.
It's nearly a carbon copy of the Man City one earlier in the season isn't it.

el3mel

I appreciate the Russians willingness to slide tackle at every single opportunity whether it’s needed or not.
It seems like they watched a lot of Captain Tsubasa anime and wanted to imitate what they watched.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
In 2015, he joined La Liga side Atlético Madrid for a reported €20 million, scoring in the final as they were runners-up in the UEFA Champions League. After a two-year spell with Dalian Professional in the Chinese Super League, Carrasco returned to Atlético in early 2020 on a loan basis. In September 2020 it was announced that Carrasco would officially transfer to Atletico on a permanent basis and would sign a contract for four years.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yannick_Carrasco#cite_note-5

Bit of a sideways move, but I'm glad he's back

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Agree. But, i mean Finland...
One shot towards the goal, shitty penalty by Hoejbjerg ...
Their heads clearly weren't in the game. It was played at a testimonial pace when they returned. Compare that to the energetic performance before the incident.

FatTails

Russia are terrible. Lukaku should be looking to do a Miroslav Klose and rack up the goals.

Nick7

This move was bizarre back then. Looked like he was only interested in money. Not sure if he changed his opinion later on or just missed playing on top level.
It probably helped Atletico as well. He moved to the Chinese team that have the same owners if I remember correctly. Bit of creative accounting, he makes off with a kings ransom both teams are positively affected.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Belgium could really spank Russia if they step up a bit. They cruised that half.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It seems like they watched a lot of Captain Tsubasa anime and wanted to imitate what they watched.
But where is the twins catapult?!?!? The goalkeeper who pushes off the posts to save shots?!?!?!

Ramos

Castagne has an orbital fracture. That's him probably out for the rest of the tournament. Not good news for Belgium.