Day 20: Sweden vs Switzerland and Colombia vs England

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This is my first World Cup on the site and I'm really surprised by the vociferous support for England on here when you consider the reputation United fans have when it comes to the national team. And Liverpool fans, really. Support seems much more fervent on here than it does for any United game.

Feck all wrong with that, obviously. But just a little surprising.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
England seem to have a really good balance. They have plenty of pace up front and plenty of goals (on paper anyway) They have areal chance, imo
They don't.

They have four players up front that sorta do something for half an hour or so and then get knackered. They don't actually create chances, they just run around a bit.

They've got a bunch of players at the back that are alright but once they get knackered suddenly forget how to defend.

And then a massive void in the middle where there's nothing and nobody.

We're gonna get punished for that complete lack of midfield at some point.

TheReligion

Abusive
This is my first World Cup on the site and I'm really surprised by the vociferous support for England on here when you consider the reputation United fans have when it comes to the national team. And Liverpool fans, really. Support seems much more fervent on here than it does for any United game.

Feck all wrong with that, obviously. But just a little surprising.
It's a new England era tbh so think alot of United fans have softened.

SqueakyWeasel

England get out of jail (note, not gaol for all fans of anagrams) but I blame the whole extra time and pens on GS. Why the feck did he allow Columbia back into the game with 15 to go by making so many defensive changes? We were well on top and to give them momentum makes no sense to me! It was depressingly like watching Jose’s United (sigh) that starts up again soon ⚽

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
England dominated that game and deservedly won. The manner of the win should be concerning however.

Colombia's passing was atrocious throughout and England showed some really good link up play. They're a very good side, but the game was taken to penalties.

I think the better team came out the victor, however, if I was an England fan, I wouldn't be shouting that 'Football's Coming Home' just yet, the inability to put the game to bed is concerning. Yes the team will be jubilant going into the QF, but so will Sweden, and they've shown themselves to be a stern test.

They beat Mexico 3-0 who beat Germany. They put out Italy in the play-offs. Sweden are a bit like Leicester from that league winning season, they'll catch you on the break and are well organised at the back.

Many fans will look at Sweden as a walkover, and don't get me wrong, England should come out on top, but it's not such a foregone conclusion as some are making out. Sweden will be a tricky one.

Well done England for today though.

Utdstar01

The only worry is the lack of a proper central midfielder of quality. there's enough depth everywhere else but midfield is the worry.
The solution was there on the bench. We brought Dier on and had 2 sitting midfielders and basically went 442 while we were 1-0 up which was baffling tbh. RLC should've came on instead of Dier.

Rajma

Congrats to English fans on here, the curse is broken now but that was far from convincing. Good thing it is Sweden that England will have to face in the next.

Revan

Assumptionman
Still nothing compared to other three mentioned. Mark my words every single English player will get the Sir title if they win the world cup. Imagine a Sir Southgate compared to the greatest manager in the world just Pep.
In knock out tournaments you need to be lucky first of all and no one is more lucky in this draw than England so far.
Pep is not British so he cannot get a Sir title. And what has that to do anything with Southgate? IF England wins the WC, that is mostly on Southgate, so of course he will be knighted.

Ban

England get out of jail (note, not gaol for all fans of anagrams) but I blame the whole extra time and pens on GS. Why the feck did he allow Columbia back into the game with 15 to go by making so many defensive changes? We were well on top and to give them momentum makes no sense to me! It was depressingly like watching Jose’s United (sigh) that starts up again soon ⚽
I think Dier sub took all the momentum from England.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
England dominated that game and deservedly won. The manner of the win should be concerning however.

Colombia's passing was atrocious throughout and England showed some really good link up play. They're a very good side, but the game was taken to penalties.

I think the better team came out the victor, however, if I was an England fan, I wouldn't be shouting that 'Football's Coming Home' just yet, the inability to put the game to bed is concerning. Yes the team will be jubilant going into the QF, but so will Sweden, and they've shown themselves to be a stern test.

They beat Mexico 3-0 who beat Germany. They put out Italy in the play-offs. Sweden are a bit like Leicester from that league winning season, they'll catch you on the break and are well organised at the back.

Many fans will look at Sweden as a walkover, and don't get me wrong, England should come out on top, but it's not such a foregone conclusion as some are making out. Sweden will be a tricky one.

Well done England for today though.
England badly needs the first goal v Sweden....if there is one.

Would be interested to see how Sweden react to that as they've not been used to that scenario in recent times.

Inter Yer Nan

Good riddance to Colombia, they were a disgrace, surrounding the ref, trying to get England players booked, 3 minutes of appealing after the ref awarded the penalty, card waving, playacting etc..... I hope Ospina didn't break his hand whilst saving Henderson penalty. Funny enough, their sh!thouse tactics makes this victory even more sweeter.
Indeed. I really thought Colombia ruined the spirit of this cup with that performance today so glad to see them go home and we can enjoy the quarter finals. They were disgraceful. I love seeing teams like this go out on the cruelty of penalties.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dunno why, but Im really happy England went through.

Hendo is a joke though, with his unfazed tough guy act before the pen.