Day 21: Argentina vs. Belgium

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Whoever plays on the counter will win this IMO. Both have controlled every game so far and have come up against teams sitting back and absorbing pressure all game pretty much, and they've both found a way to win them all. This time Belgium have a really strong defence so they could easily win if they sit back and crowd out Messi and co, and then break quickly with Hazard, De Bruyne and Mertens/Mirallas.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Mirallas, Hazard and co going up agaist that Argie defence. I fancy 2-0 Belgium seeing as they're strong at the back too.

punpun

Strong at the back? They were lucky not to concede more tonight.

Cogs

I've got to go with Belgium in this one, looked good going forward tonight and I thought Argentina looked suspect defensively in their game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It depends if Hazard decides to show up. Without him in good form, their chances diminish. If they plan on depending on just De Bruyne like they did tonight, they'll go out.

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
Belgium will win this , 2-0 , Argentina is the weakest team remaining for me.

beergod

I can't pick between the two, neither team has played well as a group to this point.

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
Belgium played pretty well today imo , they could have scored 5 goals or more , if it was not for that crazy Tim Howard..

7th level red

chelsea bought him for 7ish i think, sold for 15ish i think - now he would fetch 25+ on the market.

i think JM sold him because he didn't graft defensively - quality player that won't be staying in wolfsburg for too many more seasons.

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
Messi and co will show up this time and be too strong for Belgium.
who is 'and co' ? Mascherano? Gago? Higuain? they dont have any good players except Messi and Di Maria ,how they gonna show up? I dont get it ? Go Belgium, as a Spanish and Real Madrid fan , I cant support Argentina anyway , they worship the devil , Messi.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Strange comments by Wilmots ahead of this game. He says he doesn't see how Argentina will be able to deal with them (and also that they play with 5 defenders).

Not saying he's wrong, just weird that he's opening himself up to look like a fool if they lose.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
This game to be a sluggerfest. A winning goal in extra time by Messi.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Belgium will win this, because argentina is shit and belgium have Fellaini
Argentina will win this, and you-know-who will be proclaimed the best player ever ever in the universe if Argentina wins 3 more matches. :(

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Argentina will win this, and you-know-who will be proclaimed the best player ever ever in the universe if Argentina wins 3 more matches. :(
mate, that doesnt makes Ronaldo any less. He is one of the greatest and no matter what messi does, that will never change

Cal?

CR7 fan
mate, that doesnt makes Ronaldo any less. He is one of the greatest and no matter what messi does, that will never change
If you lot win the WC, I'll never say anything to disagree about him being the best player ever. :nervous:

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Belgium will win this, because argentina is shit and belgium have Fellaini
It's really strange how Belgium went from average to the best thing since sliced bread in 1 single game.

I don't know why we don't save ourselves the time and hand them the trophy already, no one will be a match for them now anyway.

Last edited:

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
Belgium is improving while Argentina is showing how weak they are game after game (France scored 5 vs Switzerland and they struggled to score 1) the momentum is on the Belgium side , they will need a Messi doing a 'Maradona 1986 performance' to get through , can he do it? probably , but it will be difficult , Belgium team overall is better than Argentina , I still cant believe Tevez and Banega are watching this at home , they must be laughing so much (or crying)

Dante

Average bang
Do Belgium have anyone who can do a man-marking job on Messi? A lot's been made of their box-to-box midfield, but if they can at least partially nullify Argentina's main man, they'll have to be favourites.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Hopefully Belgium to win this. :drool:
You're obsessed. :lol:

I'm rooting for Belgium too though. I can't stand the Argentina hype here, they've been diabolical in this tournament yet people talk about them as the best thing ever. Likewise Brazil, I hope (and think) Colombia will destroy them.

Essaux

It's a shame the US were defensively a shambles. Belgium could have won 6-0 if not for poor finishing and some good saves by Howard.

Even though Argentina aren't defensively great themselves, they do have a better attack then the US. I can see this to be a goal scoring QF. 2-2 and Argentina to nick it in extra time!

Treble

Whoever plays on the counter will win this IMO. Both have controlled every game so far and have come up against teams sitting back and absorbing pressure all game pretty much, and they've both found a way to win them all. This time Belgium have a really strong defence so they could easily win if they sit back and crowd out Messi and co, and then break quickly with Hazard, De Bruyne and Mertens/Mirallas.
Same here. Origi is very quick as well. To sum it up: Belgium have a better defence than Switzerland and quicker and generally better attacking players. So, Argentina have to be really cautious with their approach and Messi has to be at his best.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
People forget 1 thing - I'll say Belgium are slight favourites going into this (based on form) but Argentina have had to face sides parking the bus all tournament.

I think Belgium will allow the Argentine attackers much more space, which could see this become a classic. Though hasn't Wilmots been fairly defensive in his approach thus far? Will be interesting to see how he approaches this because Belgium has the players (skill and pace) to go head to head with Argentina.

Should be a cracker either way. Hoping for another Messi masterclass.

milan4ever

Argentina will go out because of average midfield and off-form strikers.
I can't believe they can't produce a better midfielder than such a mediocre player Gago : not athletic, no killer ball, average at playmaking, not good at dribbling.
Higuian still hasn't found his form yet, and that might prove costly against Belgium.

Ironically their defence has not been that bad although Romero is an accident waiting to happen.

milan4ever

People forget 1 thing - I'll say Belgium are slight favourites going into this (based on form) but Argentina have had to face sides parking the bus all tournament.

I think Belgium will allow the Argentine attackers much more space, which could see this become a classic. Though hasn't Wilmots been fairly defensive in his approach thus far? Will be interesting to see how he approaches this because Belgium has the players (skill and pace) to go head to head with Argentina.

Should be a cracker either way. Hoping for another Messi masterclass.
Messi can't always save his team by himself.

For this Argentina team, if they manage to reach semi-final, I think it's a pretty good result for them. Anything beyond that is pretty much overachieving.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Same here. Origi is very quick as well. To sum it up: Belgium have a better defence than Switzerland and quicker and generally better attacking players. So, Argentina have to be really cautious with their approach and Messi has to be at his best.
Messi can't always save his team by himself.

For this Argentina team, if they manage to reach semi-final, I think it's a pretty good result for them. Anything beyond that is pretty much overachieving.
Looking at their squad, and their form, it seems quarters was overachieving - luckily they had a decent group and fairly winnable ties up until now.

Let's hope they actually step it up against Belgium and show everyone why they were on top of the South American qualifying. (they were, right? Or was it Colombia in the end?).

Winrar

Looking at their squad, and their form, it seems quarters was overachieving - luckily they had a decent group and fairly winnable ties up until now.

Let's hope they actually step it up against Belgium and show everyone why they were on top of the South American qualifying. (they were, right? Or was it Colombia in the end?).
They finished ahead of Colombia by 2 points

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Messi is going to nick this one for the argies.