Day 24: Brazil vs. Netherlands

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
I definitely wasn't convinced the Brazilians would win this tournament with ease, honest. :houllier:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I was basing it on last season. The season before they were excellent together but last year when they played together they were shite and as they have had two seasons together one good and one poor I'd chose the most recent season to go off.
But you are forgetting they only started 12 league games together last season, injuries playing a part plus the tactics of an incompetent manager but despite this Rooney was top scorer and most assists and was the best outfield player and Van Persie's goals to games ratio was quite good also. So how you can make that statement is beyond me

Fellaini's Afro

Supports
Valencia
Rvp's return in this tournament and Gerrards last season just proves you can't base anything solely on stats.

RVP had shocking performances bar second 45 against Spain. Only difference from 2010 was he scored two crackers. Yet four goals in six games looks impressive on paper!

As for the game I thought Holland could have scored many more but seemed content with 2 goal lead for most of the game. Brazil never looked like scoring bar clear pen. Brazil caused Germany more problems at the back the other night. Really do believe that game is making people blind by the fact Germany haven't been impressive bar Portugal game. Hopefully Argentina win as the Germany wankfest over a couple of games is cringeworthy. Their bad performances are ignored, all four sf teams have had issues and been lucky at times.

IMO there hasn't been a great team this year and had Holland beat Argentina this site wouldn't be wanking over the Germans. Nor would we see majority comments like Germany will win comfortably etc.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
But you are forgetting they only started 12 league games together last season, injuries playing a part plus the tactics of an incompetent manager but despite this Rooney was top scorer and most assists and was the best outfield player and Van Persie's goals to games ratio was quite good also. So how you can make that statement is beyond me
Yeah thinking about it I think I mostly made it up :lol: I forgot they weren't fully match fit either. I think they'd do a lot better with a player of Mata's calibre behind them next year too, and I have a feeling now that LvG will get the best out of RvP.

TheMuffer

Fantastic touch bringing on Vorm for the last few minutes. Surely it's unheard of to use all three goalkeepers in an international tournament. I've never seen a Holland team with such a fantastic team spirit, for years there's been problems between players.
France, Belguim, Czechs and Greece have all used 3 goalkeepers in a tourney..so its nothing new

Fritz

De Vrij was imperial

Best young CB at this WC.

Sign the beast

roykeane19

50 millions defender...
Haha so true, I think its because he thinks hes a simpsons character at times, instead of a footballer, just look at him yesterday, he was barely in position, he spent almost whole match in the Netherlands half, making aimless passes, getting dispossessed, just basically thinking he can be the hero or something and win the match for brazil

Whereas in truth he was all over the place, and not in a good way, on a sidenote he really needs a proper haircut, I hate when players let their hair define them, ie like fellaini( though after 2-3 years its nice to see he finally got one, and looks more of human being now)

Zii

5-1 3-0 ?? Italy ?? you must be kidding right ....??
I am saying ON PAPER, those team should be finishing ahead of Holland. So Van Gaal over-performed and I am right. You telling me that Spain should have gone out in the groups on paper and holland get 3rd place? Read the context before replying.

Alun

love this so gonna post it, even though it's probably popped up before. Can't stand all that half-time, projector, drawing squares bullshit analysis that takes place during each game. The way some 'expert' takes a segment of a game out, where nothing is really happening and then attempts to explain what every player in the screen is trying to do. Football is a simple game, hate all this gimmicky yank analysis that tries to overcomplicate it.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
lFootball is a simple game
True, but winning the game is complicated.

I heard Alan Shearer's halftime analysis on the Brazil Germany game, and he oversimplified it to his own level. He explained the annihilation of Brazil by the Germans getting the tackles in. No, in modern football that's not where it comes down to, If the England manager thinks like that, he will be trashed 17-1. Football has moved on from the simple approach, England can join in, or get trashed like Scolari.