Day 24: Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Did Kleberson start, and perform at a high level, in the World Cup?
Yes. From Wikipedia:

Kléberson made his first international appearance for Brazil in a friendly match against Bolivia on 31 January 2002. He also marked his debut by scoring Brazil's fourth goal in a 6–0 win. He also scored against Iceland in March 2002. He was subsequently selected by Luiz Felipe Scolari for Brazil's squad for the 2002 FIFA World Cup. He was initially relegated to the bench for the first four matches in the tournament. He was brought into the starting line-up for Brazil's game against England, with Scolari feeling his tenacity would help counter the high work-rate of the English side. His tackle on his future teammate Paul Scholes led to Brazil's equaliser before Brazil ended up winning 2–1. He then was included in the starting lineup for the rest of the tournament. Brazil defeated Germany in the final, with Kléberson setting up one of the two Brazilian goals, as Brazil won the World Cup for a record fifth time.

Pagh Wraith

And likely Spain in the next round. So, it isn't an easy route at all, there is nothing lucky on facing teams which have eliminated top teams.
Of course it's lucky. It's literally the definition of luck :lol: But there is nothing wrong with it because it's nothing England can influence. So it's a pointless discussion anyway.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No-one said it's England's fault. It's just the truth, it's an easy route.
Have to remember though pretty much all the press were panning Southgate here after losing the Belgium game "kill momentum" etc.

My gut instinct was he did the right thing and it's paying off nicely.

England would be out by now if they'd played Brazil.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Won't be long until half this England team are off to Real Madrid, Barca and PSG

Tiber

Did Kleberson start, and perform at a high level, in the World Cup?
He started the final, so I imagine his manager probably thought so.

Tournaments are great, but having a good tournament means a lot less than having a good season for your club - atleast to me

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Have to remember though pretty much all the press were panning Southgate here after losing the Belgium game "kill momentum" etc.

I said all along, lose the damn game. There is no instinct required, just intelligence. Anyone who said otherwise is an idiot

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Southgate deserves most of the credit here, methinks.

Bobski

Paddy Crerand would cringe at this commentary:lol:

Going to be interesting if England win this tourney, we have had years of footballers being annihilated in the media as atrocious role models, disgusting narcissistic man-children, heads might snap off with the incoming U-Turn.

marlowe78

Disagree. I don't watch that many EPL games and I've been saying he'd own England's defence in no time. A much more important player than Smalling, Jones and the likes. Now it might be too hard to grab him to United.
I rated Maguire also but I didn't expect him to play this well. Others might be a better judge, though.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

The only people reading the English press are the bitters in here it seems :lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I’m watching this in Croatia and this is exactly how peooe feel here as well. They don’t seem too scared of England.
They shouldn’t be either.

Their world class midfield against Henderson and...nobody else.

It’ll he a walkover unless we change personnel.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Sweden only got this far because they faced the likes of Mexico and Switzerland. First decent team they play and they look limited technically.

Sterling will become a byword for bad decision making in the future. “He did a Sterling there”
Think it will become a by-word for someone living on reputstuor alone, but somehow success follows him around for some reason.

"Trump's brought peace to the Korean peninsula and accepted the Nobel peace prize as a result. Critics will say he achieved this mostly be constantly threatening nuclear war, and he really just Sterlinged the situation"

Revan

Assumptionman
Of course it's lucky. It's literally the definition of luck :lol: But there is nothing wrong with it because it's nothing England can influence. So it's a pointless discussion anyway.
No, it is not. Spain and Germany wouldn't have made it more difficult, considering that those teams were worse than teams England is eliminating.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Paddy Crerand would cringe at this commentary:lol:

Going to be interesting if England win this tourney, we have had years of footballers being annihilated in the media as atrocious role models, disgusting narcissistic man-children, heads might snap off with the incoming U-Turn.
Think the media are even happy we are in the semis. It is progress with the base of a young side and a young manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Southgate deserves most of the credit here, methinks.
I'm happy for him. Was a great player for my club in the 90s and obviously got all that abuse after the penalty miss so this is his payback now.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Sweden so poor, the first half goal killed their whole gameplan. Guess it's a good run getting this far for them.