Day 24: Sweden vs England and Russia vs Croatia

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Sweden are boring as almighty feck you'd swear Mourinho was managing them. Really hope you's do them because I do not want to have to sit through those boring feckers playing in a World Cup semi final.

Have a sneaky feeling Russia will end up nicking it against Croatia who almost shat themselves against Denmark, the crowd will be rabid in that one, gonna be good.

Judas

Open to offers
For the tournaments sake, imagine how potentially drab a Russia/Sweden semi could be. Both teams huddled in their own penalty areas, the ball just sat untouched in the centre of the pitch.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
With all the talking by the Swedish team about how England are being arrogant etc, I'm expecting them to be blasted by England today. Early two goals by England and then a comfortable 3-0 win.

MadMike

For the tournaments sake, imagine how potentially drab a Russia/Sweden semi could be. Both teams huddled in their own penalty areas, the ball just sat untouched in the centre of the pitch.
People are doing Russia a huge disservice. They might not be a particularly good side, but they're not a defensive one. Against Spain they were hardly touching the ball but when they did they broke with more intent the Spain showed all game. I' don't see them as a defensive team in the slightest.

alsabi

ITV will be showing the semi-final for this side of the draw.

Jacob

:lol:
Tbf I'll take a Stones OG too. Nerves are kicking in, this would be huge for us.
I'm quite relaxed being the underdog, only worried about Kane... Hard work will take care of the rest.

1-2 to Sweden
Kane with a long shots
Forsberg with a deflected shot
Lindelöf with a header from a set piece

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
With all the talking by the Swedish team about how England are being arrogant etc, I'm expecting them to be blasted by England today. Early two goals by England and then a comfortable 3-0 win.
Me too, some are bringing up stats of games against Sweden and the most recent being a friendly 6 years ago in which Zlatan scored 4 and England fielded 6 debutants. That scenario is so far from todays game its unreal. And further back than that you may as well be comparing the England 66 team to anyone!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
England will need to score early to lure the Swedes out of defence, the longer the Swedes hold the English back the more frustrated the English will become. Sweden will be hoping for a lapse in concentration when they counter and try to nick a goal.

Jacob

True, against a team like Sweden, they'll have no fear so they'll attack them. Sweden are the true kings of negativity.
Do you really expect all teams to be attacking? That's just irrational. Rather win ugly than loose 'beautifully'. History remembers results, less so the methods.

Siorac

Do you really expect all teams to be attacking? That's just irrational. Rather win ugly than loose 'beautifully'. History remembers results, less so the methods.
Well that's not quite true, is it? People probably remember Holland '78 more fondly than Argentina '78. Hungary '54 are far more acclaimed than West Germany '54.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Well that's not quite true, is it? People probably remember Holland '78 more fondly than Argentina '78. Hungary '54 are far more acclaimed than West Germany '54.
Maybe for their flair, but certainly not for the significance.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Well, off to the pub to get stupidly sunburnt and drunk. Can't remember being this nervous before a game as an adult, even for Champions league finals.

Dolf

Congratulations all on this European victory. Now that only true winners are left, the tournament can finally start. May the best one win!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Now i have huge respect for our posters who support other clubs. When emotions kick in, you have so many things to say about other team and you must be quiet. I will avoid redcafe if we draw england in semis. The things what i want to say about harry kane would be direct ban:lol:

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not sure what you mean by that.
Germany winning that particular world cup was huge. Massive impact on a nation's confidence after what happened the decades before that.
Maybe it's just a German thing and the outcome of that world cup is regarded entirely differently outside of Germany, but winning that was the ultimate underdog story.

That said, very happy that it is indeed coming home this year :)

Siorac

Germany winning that particular world cup was huge. Massive impact on a nation's confidence after what happened the decades before that.
Maybe it's just a German thing and the outcome of that world cup is regarded entirely differently outside of Germany, but winning that was the ultimate underdog story.

That said, very happy that it is indeed coming home this year :)
There is an argument by some historians that the disappointment of 1954 - and it was SAVAGE disappointment in a country living incredibly dark days under a totalitarian dictatorship - played a part in the events that led to the 1956 revolution. Some 400 people were arrested in Budapest after the final and it's a small miracle that the spontaneous protests did not snowball into large-scale protests against the communist regime. It was lucky for the Party that some of the ire was directed against the players and the coach.

But anyway, feck that idiot of a Welsh linesman who felt like raising his flag when Puskás scored a perfectly good goal, probably because he was bored or something. The wanker.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
There is an argument by some historians that the disappointment of 1954 - and it was SAVAGE disappointment in a country living incredibly dark days under a totalitarian dictatorship - played a part in the events that led to the 1956 revolution. Some 400 people were arrested in Budapest after the final and it's a small miracle that the spontaneous protests did not snowball into large-scale protests against the communist regime. It was lucky for the Party that some of the ire was directed against the players and the coach.

But anyway, feck that idiot of a Welsh linesman who felt like raising his flag when Puskás scored a perfectly good goal, probably because he was bored or something. The wanker.
Ah wow, goes to show what I know. Wasn't aware that this also had big implications on Hungary outside of football.
From what my dad told me, winning this underdog story brought a great sense of believe back to a nation in ashes, so maybe some opposite effect to the one you described for Hungary.

About the last part, since I'm German not sure I can agree :)

Running out of replies for the day, so have a good day of football all of you! Coming home it is!

Siorac

Ah wow, goes to show what I know. Wasn't aware that this also had big implications on Hungary outside of football.
From what my dad told me, winning this underdog story brought a great sense of believe back to a nation in ashes, so maybe some opposite effect to the one you described for Hungary.

About the last part, since I'm German not sure I can agree :)

Running out of replies for the day, so have a good day of football all of you! Coming home it is!
It's funny how significant and serious football can be, isn't it? It's supposed to be just a game after all.

A good day to you as well. I'm hoping for an England v Croatia semi-final, with the winner meeting Belgium.

togg

There is absolutely no reason why, on paper, we should have anything to fear about Sweden. We should be beating them and I expect us to. We haven't played that well, but we have momentum and have gained confidence and we are not easy to beat.

Winning the world cup? Well, that's a different story!!

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Hard to see past England for this one but I'm hoping the Swedes can make them really work for it. Heja Sverige!

marlowe78

I'd have gone for Loftus-Cheek and Rashford over Dele and Sterling but not surprised to see an unchanged side.
I was just about to post that. I think playing Loftus-Cheek would've been a risk worth taking.