Day 25: France vs. Belgium SF

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
England will have to go full "Colombia" on France's ass to get a result.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah, I thought he was really good and I thought KDB stunk up the joint. Surprised to see KDB getting a pass despite being the creator and Lukaku - who had next to no service is getting all the stick.
Pretty much. De Bruyne really had a disappointing game (maybe it was Kante effect, I didn't pay enough attention if he had one eye on him) and don't know what Lukaku could have done much better as a focal point bar trying to get on some random cross during the game.

Canagel

I said after the Uruguay game that France have the winning formula and they showed it again. Lloris is a top keeper. You won't find a better defensive partnership than Varane and Umtiti anywhere. Add the defensive shield that is Kante and you have the perfect defence already. Then Pogba, Griezmann, Mbappe and Giroud can hurt any defence without actually seeing a lot of the ball. France had 30 something possession compared with Belgium 60 but they had more shots and more efforts on goal. This shows the power of the French attack. I also think the negative experience of Euro 2016 has really helped this team and toughened then up mentally. They say you need to lose first before you can win and I think this France team is ready to win. They can adapt to different teams and play both offensively like we saw vs Argentina or more reserved like today and still create the same quality of chances. Not many teams can do that.

Last edited:

CA_vampire

I thought Hazard showed up. Kevin de Bruyne is much better than he showed tonight, he really played badly minus a couple of decent moments.

If we get past Croatia I don't hold much hope for us vs. this French team.

Having said that I've watched most of the French games this tournament and they are dire to watch. A soulless yet unstoppable juggernaut.
On the contrary, England can beat this mediocre French team. Belgium was terrible today. Even Pogba seemed to be good in defense. How? Did he suddenly became a different player? Of course not. The explanation is that Belgium was so bad today that anyone would seem a great defender vs them.

Sildegil

On the contrary, England can beat this mediocre French team. Belgium was terrible today. Even Pogba seemed to be good in defense. How? Did he suddenly became a different player? Of course not. The explanation is that Belgium was so bad today that anyone would seem a great defender vs them.
Actually, it was said that Argentina was trash. Then Uruguay wasnt good enough. Now Belgium is "so bad". Maybe is there a pattern, dont you think?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Actually, it was said that Argentina was trash. Then Uruguay wasnt good enough. Now Belgium is "so bad". Maybe is there a pattern, dont you think?
You joined a Utd forum just to post about this :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
:lol: We weren’t good but France was way worse than us. And they have the best young CB partnership in the world. Anyway, they play a horrible brand of football.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
He made that choice himself, what happened to Brazil when they always had great players? My second team after Portugal and I think you guys could win this world cup but missing Casemiro was the key plus a lot of luck from Belgium 26 to 3 shots.....
I totally agree. This time, I felt Brazil could've won this WC because I failed to see anyone better than them (unlike the previous tournaments) and I judge it has been the best Brazilian performance in a WC since 2002. If they didn't sparkle everyone's eyes with excitement, they performed quite solidly and leave nothing to be desired in comparison with this French squad IMO. I remember I've stressed the importance of Casemiro comparing him to Kanté in a previous thread before this match.
[URL="https://www.redcafe.net/threads/team-of-the-tournament-so-far.439825/#post-22761824"]Team of the Tournament (so far)[/URL]

He is that kind of player who isn't as hyped but crucial for the defensive system. Unfortunately Fernandinho, his substitute, was the worst player on the pitch and he couldn't help his teammates to stop the dangerous Belgian counters. That's part of the game though... :annoyed:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Actually, after a bunch of research, I think this is probably the most interesting and active football forum on internet. So yea, I came here :)
haha. it is a good forum to be fair.

Ainu

Feck. France did a number on us, can't really argue against it. The idea this was a once in a lifetime opportunity makes this a bitter pill to swallow. Too many players not on their game. I'm going to pretend there's no world cup anymore. I'm done with football for a while, preferably the rest of my life.

James Peril

Shame about Belgium. Deserved more in a very fantastic game.
They (and the game) were fantastic in the first half, but also France has big chances before the interval. Belgium were largely poor in the second half and struggled to break down a very good defensive unit. Doesn’t help with a very static striker with poor movement after initial chances have passed, also doesn’t help that Hazard and KdB seem to not want to pass to certain players. Belgium deserved very little from this game overall and had no plan B.

Mertens perhaps should have come on earlier and Fellaini should have been in the box for the last 15 minutes, simples. Fellaini is made for scoring goals late on when balls are going to be whacked into the box.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
France were very good in midfield and defence. Fair play to them.

DRM

Disappointing game, France mostly sat back and Belgium weren't threatening enough. Lukaku had a poor game too.

pauldyson1uk

Disappointing game, France mostly sat back and Belgium weren't threatening enough. Lukaku had a poor game too.
Have to disagree , for me one of the best.
Some cracking football , with some very good saves , really enjoy it , more than I have most games.
No sorry I 100% disagree with you, Belgium had chances to take it to extra time only stopped by some good defending and great saves, France had chances to extended their lead, again good keeping stopped them.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Brilliant game; France played better and deserve their win. Mbappe, Pogba, Kante and Matuidi; even Griezemann, oh and Loris too, all were outstanding. I thought Fellaini and Hazard were good for Belgium- De Bruyne was dire.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Brilliant game; France played better and deserve their win. Mbappe, Pogba, Kante and Matuidi; even Griezemann, oh and Loris too, all were outstanding. I thought Fellaini and Hazard were good for Belgium- De Bruyne was dire.
France didn’t play better what game did you watch?!

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
If France turn up in the final they'll destroy England or Croatia. Pogba, Kante and Matuidi is an excellent midfield but to have Varane and Umtiti behind with Mbappe and Griezmann in front is just unfair. Ridiculously good bench too.

Pogba and Varane were phenomenal tonight.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
:lol:

Trizy

Belgium would have scored if they started Mertens ahead of Chadli
Saying this all fecking game. Between Dembele and Chadli it's like France were playing against 9 men.

Especially Chadli. The games over and I can remember him fecking up 4-5 good area crosses and 4 corners with zero accuracy. He cost Belgium about 50% of their attacking today. He is beyond shite.

Surely that's Belgium done for the foreseeable future at national level? Their golden generation is it's peak now and the only way forward is downwards.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He made that choice himself, what happened to Brazil when they always had great players? My second team after Portugal and I think you guys could win this world cup but missing Casemiro was the key plus a lot of luck from Belgium 26 to 3 shots.....
What a weird way to present statistics from that Brazil v Belgium game. Counting all shots for Brazil, even those blocked and off the target but only counting the Belgium shots that were on target.

the_irish123

Incredible by France, from not qualifying to '90 and '94 to making 3 out of 6 finals and winning Euros, plus a final.

It's kinda the elephant in the room, but the difference between those Frances and today's is that 95% of their players are sons of Cameroonians, Mali, Martinique habitants. They just have an access to a hugely better gene pool now athletically. It's hard to look past that really.

Last edited:

Ainu

Saying this all fecking game. Between Dembele and Chadli it's like France were playing against 9 men.

Especially Chadli. The games over and I can remember him fecking up 4-5 good area crosses and 4 corners with zero accuracy. He cost Belgium about 50% of their attacking today. He is beyond shite.

Surely that's Belgium done for the foreseeable future at national level? Their golden generation is it's peak now and the only way forward is downwards.
Obviously yes. There's an outside chance of this generation performing at a decent level in 2020 but as far as World Cups go, it's pretty much over for them. We'll be lucky to have another generation anywhere near them in the next 50 years, probably even longer. So the sad reality for everyone in Belgium today is this is probably as good as it will ever get in our lifetimes. I'm proud of what they achieved but I'll always think of what could've been.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If France turn up in the final they'll destroy England or Croatia. Pogba, Kante and Matuidi is an excellent midfield but to have Varane and Umtiti behind with Mbappe and Griezmann in front is just unfair. Ridiculously good bench too.

Pogba and Varane were phenomenal tonight.
France played with 10 world class players...and Giroud. But it was enough as Belgium played with donkeys like Dembele (never liked, still to be convinced despite Spurs fans about to jump on me), Fellaini and Chadli. England has its share of donkeys but they also have an easier route and anything can happen in a final. Belgium for all its world class players, were lacking just enough world class players when it mattered most.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Tielmans is their ( Belgium's ) future for me. I reckon this generation has one more world cup in them and he'll be pulling the midfield strings.

Loublaze

ATLien
There have been plenty of better games than that. The winning goal from a set piece? Belgium's attack was also very disappointing.
The way the lone goal was scored is not the story of the entire game. Both sides showed their quality. Belgium caused France some problems but Lloris and Varane had very good games. If Hazard wasn't so greedy maybe Belgium would've scored at least one goal as he failed to pass the ball to Lukaku on two separate occasions when he was open in the box. I feel it was right up there with some of the best we've seen so far.

Last edited: