Day 4: Morocco vs Croatia | Germany vs Japan | Spain vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Canada

Stocar

They were 1-0 teams then. These look hungry for more goals.
They weren't really. After Euro 2008 and Barca success in the following years, literally every team decided to park the bus against them. In 2012 Italy tried to play more openly in the final and were dismantled instantly.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Most one sided game of the tournament so far. To the part it’s bloody demoralising for Costa Rica.
I'm getting horrible flashes of the closing stages of the 2011 Champions League final.

Its like seeing a boa constrictor slowly squeeze something to death. There's just a grim inevitability about a Spanish team at its optimum destroying an opponent.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Spanish comfortably the best team I’ve seen here so far.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Spain look terrific. Wonder if the lack of a striker will eventually cost them. But through the middle the technical class is clear.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Spain are working together as a team, keeping shape, knowing how they want to play, pretty good stuff. I hope Enrique makes a couple of changes here, get the bench some minutes and keep people fresh.
Agree, you can see they are a well coached team with a certain way of playing. That alone can take you far.

RedDevilRoshi

Spain might as well sub Pedri, Gavi, Laporte, Olmo & Rodri off and just bring on the inexperienced youngsters for this 2nd half. Focus on knocking Germany out at the weekend now.

AndyMUFC

Spain was the best team in the Euros. They dominated Italy in the semis, Morata just missed a million easy chances.

Most people discount Spain because Spain lacks a goalscorer. However, if they can chip in across the field, Spain is the best footballing side in the world.
This is why I've gone for them in the predictions thread, because I remember how they grew into that tournament and dominated even Italy and they've had more time under Enrique since. He's got them playing like a club side (in large part due to that midfield obviously but it's not just that).

Be very interesting to see what happens if they come up against Brazil in the quarters.

CallyRed

I've got money on Spain reaching the final. I know it's only one game v Costa Rica but they are looking good

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Japan showed some heart and glimpses of attacking threat. Costa Rica have shown absolutely nothing so far, they could turn it around second half but from what I've seen so far that's highly unlikely.
My reading of the tournament so far is energy levels, fitness and stamina are having a massive impact. Even more with the extended playing time.

This Costa Rican side is probably 80% the same as in 2018 and 2014. Experienced, but on their last legs. Has me very worried about our game tomorrow, as I hear all of Godín, Suárez and Cáceres will start against the Korean duracell bunnies.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Insulting another member
I thought that too but @Rood was kind enough to correct my misconception and informed me that this indeed is the most accessible tournament for them. Even more so than the one they hosted, so now I can pass forward that wisdom.
Sad that your stupidity isn’t limited to the non-football forums.

This is why I've gone for them in the predictions thread, because I remember how they grew into that tournament and dominated even Italy and they've had more time under Enrique since. He's got them playing like a club side (in large part due to that midfield obviously but it's not just that).

Be very interesting to see what happens if they come up against Brazil in the quarters.
Brazil's ability to play through the press, plus its pace on the break, is the most serious threat to Spain. On paper at least. In practice Spain might fire blanks in other matches, like it did against Italy in the Euros semi. However, if the Spanish have brought their shooting boots to Qatar, nobody should fancy themselves against Spain.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd still be cautious with Spain. Great coach, great core - but ancient fullbacks which could get destroyed against the right counter attacking system, particularly against Dembele and Mbappe on the counter. They haven't been challenged here at all though, so it's nice to see a giant also flex their superiority with ease.

Saying that, they were one of my top 3 pre tournament with Netherlands and Germany, so at least they're cementing that while Germany are probably just too chaotic to go all the way (even though I see them as having arguably the highest upside when it all clicks).

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Brazil aren't all that. They'll destroy shit teams and their quality will inevitably beat decent ones. Match quality and it's game over, there's nothing particularly nuanced about them.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Very good half, although obviously Costa Rica is a very weak rival and the early goal helped us.
Asensio can be a good solution in the attack. Why Rodri CB? He does not trust the other options or it is something specific for this game

GlasgowCeltic

I'd still be cautious with Spain. Great coach, great core - but ancient fullbacks which could get destroyed against the right counter attacking system, particularly against Dembele and Mbappe on the counter. They haven't been challenged here at all though, so it's nice to see a giant also flex their superiority with ease.

Saying that, they were one of my top 3 pre tournament with Netherlands and Germany, so at least they're cementing that while Germany are probably just too chaotic to go all the way (even though I see them as having arguably the highest upside when it all clicks).
Not sure why Carvajal is on the bench

bosnian_red

Brazil's ability to play through the press, plus its pace on the break, is the most serious threat to Spain. On paper at least. In practice Spain might fire blanks in other matches, like it did against Italy in the Euros semi. However, if the Spanish have brought their shooting boots to Qatar, nobody should fancy themselves against Spain.
Does Brazil have good ability to play through the press? It's a mediocre back 4, Casemiro on an island and then a bunch of attackers. I could easily see Spain teaching them a lesson

France is their biggest worry on paper, as Deschamps would have them sit back, shut up shop with their defenders and tchouameni/rabiot/camavinga in midfield, and then kill Spain's fullbacks with Dembele and Mbappe.

bosnian_red

A difference between Germany and Spain... Spain know how to just control possession to just tire out the opposition and kill their spirits. Germany dominated possession but you felt it was more chaotic, even when they were dominating. Spain look like a CL club team who is further along in their development than Germany basically

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Klose was never world-class for his club. Germany never had world-class strikers no? It was always about their team chemistry and system. Now they don't have that anymore.
I think Flick made mistake in subbing for Gundogan. In the first half, he and Kimmich showed great synchronizing chemistry in the midfield area; probably Japan had better off-the-ball movements, which separated them from Germany. A world-class striker has been a big problem for Germany since Klose's retirement, they lacked a clinical finisher, which was always one of the best German strengths in the past 60 years( Seeler, Muller, Voller, Fischer, Kalle, Klinsmann, Klose, Dieter Muller.....). Today's game showed that they lacked a clinical finisher and killer instinct from attackers( including golden boy Musiala), while I think German's system under Flick is still great. Flick's system in German is a bit weird too, he's too focused on possession and doesn't direct and pacey as much as he has done during Bayern.

PoTMS

Worst team in the tournament by far. Even Qatar would beat this lot.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Game was dead ages ago. You can tell some of the fans are bored, not even cheering when Spain score just playing with their phones :lol:

Does Brazil have good ability to play through the press? It's a mediocre back 4, Casemiro on an island and then a bunch of attackers. I could easily see Spain teaching them a lesson

France is their biggest worry on paper, as Deschamps would have them sit back, shut up shop with their defenders and tchouameni/rabiot/camavinga in midfield, and then kill Spain's fullbacks with Dembele and Mbappe.
Good point. I shouldn't have forgotten about France after last night's showing.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
A difference between Germany and Spain... Spain know how to just control possession to just tire out the opposition and kill their spirits. Germany dominated possession but you felt it was more chaotic, even when they were dominating. Spain look like a CL club team who is further along in their development than Germany basically
Agree, Spain not only control possession better than the Germans, they do with the purpose to dominate the opponent's team, which is different from what we've seen from German team today. They also have more methods to attack in the final third area.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
My reading of the tournament so far is energy levels, fitness and stamina are having a massive impact. Even more with the extended playing time.

This Costa Rican side is probably 80% the same as in 2018 and 2014. Experienced, but on their last legs. Has me very worried about our game tomorrow, as I hear all of Godín, Suárez and Cáceres will start against the Korean duracell bunnies.
So what will the front line be? Suarez /Nunez / Velverde?

I'm actually looking forward to your lot playing, on paper it looks an exciting team.