Day 4: Switzerland vs. Ecuador

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Loved how both teams pushed for the winner, how Arroyo's dallying on the ball was so ruthlessly punished, and how the referee and Stocker both played on despite the professional foul.

Thomas#7

Rodriguez MOTM for me. Everything he did oozed class.

We should be in for him.

Dylan94

Even the games you think we're going to be boring have turned up something in the end! And the right team won!

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
If Drmic plays as today, he's hardly a good buy for Leverkusen.
What kind of logic is that?

He's an absolute bargain for Leverkusen, you don't just get a player who scores 17 Bundesliga goals in one season for such a price.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Shaqiri was awful, I just don't understand how he got 7.7 in whoscored rating. Terrible in my view.
Behrami too was bad apart from last 15 secs. He too got 7.
I am still trying to understand what they did to get such rating.

ManniKaltz

What kind of logic is that?

He's an absolute bargain for Leverkusen, you don't just get a player who scores 17 Bundesliga goals in one season for such a price.
Taking Leverkusen's budget into consideration and that Dmric shone only for half of the season, I stick with my opinion: If he plays as mediocre as today, it's a rather poor investment.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Taking Leverkusen's budget into consideration and that Dmric shone only for half of the season, I stick with my opinion: If he plays as mediocre as today, it's a rather poor investment.
Yeah...if... or he plays just as well as he did before for the Swiss National team.

Leverkusen have a decent budget, with Emre Can leaving they'll have even more to spend.

Drmic basically carried Nürnberg on his own, which is really impressive. He'll thrive at Leverkusen.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I was sorry for him too. He passed a perfect ball to Arroyo, who fecks it up, only for whole team to be punished 30 seconds later.

JP77

Also really good job from the referee at the end to continue the play. Quite a few refs would of called the foul with no play on but he allowed the player to get up after getting clobbered and go on, really good refereeing there.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah...if... or he plays just as well as he did before for the Swiss National team.

Leverkusen have a decent budget, with Emre Can leaving they'll have even more to spend.

Drmic basically carried Nürnberg on his own, which is really impressive. He'll thrive at Leverkusen.
Indeed! 1 game doesn't make him awful, lets wait and see how he does for the rest of the world cup before calling him mediocre.

ManniKaltz

First of all: No, Leverkusen'S budget is far from decent if they want to have quality from the start. They have 25m/season plus transfers. Only Can was sold for a good price, 2.5m for Sam is poor despite him being injury-prone. The remaining went for next to nothing or actually for nothing.

Secondly, Drmic has thrived during the second part of the Bundesliga; in the first half, he didn't carry Nürnberg at all. Could potentially turn out to be a half-season wonder.

Hans Wurst

I didn't say he's awful, I said that if he plays like today, he's a rather poor investment.
Almost every player has a poor game sooner rather than later, of course he would be a bad buy judging solely off this match, but you could say this about pretty much every player (bar Messi and Cristiano maybe, but they also have their off-days, especially in their national teams).

ManniKaltz

If he plays like last season then he's a fantastic investment. Silly point really :p
Let's agree to disagree. You lads find him the biggest thing since sliced bread because of about 10 terrific matches - he was at best mediocre at the end of the season - in a rather poor Bundesliga team that got relegated and are convinced he'll excel at Leverkusen.

I'm more cautious as what I've seen so far doesn't convince me yet that he's such a surefire thing. If you call this silly - just go ahead.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
First of all: No, Leverkusen'S budget is far from decent if they want to have quality from the start. They have 25m/season plus transfers. Only Can was sold for a good price, 2.5m for Sam is poor despite him being injury-prone. The remaining went for next to nothing or actually for nothing.

Secondly, Drmic has thrived during the second part of the Bundesliga; in the first half, he didn't carry Nürnberg at all. Could potentially turn out to be a half-season wonder.
Yes they do. It is not comparable to Premier League teams but it is still a good amount for a Bundesliga side.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/bayer-d...-40-mio-fur-sommertransfers-/view/news/157498

Just linking this for you, they can potentially spend 40 million euros for transfers. If that is not decent I don't know what is tbh.

Drmic is certainly a better transfer than Adrian Ramos, who had a poor second half of the season. Add to that that Drmic was much cheaper.
He came from Zürich and had to adapt to the League first. I don't see why you are criticizing him so much, he'll have a great future. Can play as a winger too which makes him even more valuable.

ManniKaltz

Almost every player has a poor game sooner rather than later, of course he would be a bad buy judging solely off this match, but you could say this about pretty much every player (bar Messi and Cristiano maybe, but they also have their off-days, especially in their national teams).
It's not just the game today. He didn't convince me during the last BL matches, seemed to be exhausted, busy to handle his move, or both. I'm just more cautious, that's all as 5m does seem to be peanuts for many teams but for Leverkusen with the need for a deeper and more quality in their squad it is not that "peanut-ty". ;)

ManniKaltz

Yes they do. It is not comparable to Premier League teams but it is still a good amount for a Bundesliga side.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/bayer-d...-40-mio-fur-sommertransfers-/view/news/157498

Just linking this for you, they can potentially spend 40 million euros for transfers. If that is not decent I don't know what is tbh.

Drmic is certainly a better transfer than Adrian Ramos, who had a poor second half of the season. Add to that that Drmic was much cheaper.
He came from Zürich and had to adapt to the League first. I don't see why you are criticizing him so much, he'll have a great future. Can play as a winger too which makes him even more valuable.
What makes you think that I'm convinced about Adrian Ramos? You may wanna use another crystal ball ...

There have been and will always be players who are one season wonders, and only time will tell if Dmric is a good investment or a mediocre one, but it's always amazing and amusing how many think they know for sure.

Re: the transfer budget: I trust friends who are Leverkusen fans with one working at the club more than the BS at transfermarkt.de, thanks. :)

Hans Wurst

It's not just the game today. He didn't convince me during the last BL matches, seemed to be exhausted, busy to handle his move, or both. I'm just more cautious, that's all as 5m does seem to be peanuts for many teams but for Leverkusen with the need for a deeper and more quality in their squad it is not that "peanut-ty". ;)
You surely have a point there, I'd also be very careful to label him a "sure thing" for Leverkusen, but as you shouldn't tout him to be world class because of a good, let's call it half a season, you shouldn't dispute his obvious talent because of one match in a swiss team playing poorly as a whole in uncommon circumstances and under immense pressure.

And, just as a side note, he was very good for Switzerland in the friendlies before the world cup (against Croatia in the 2-2 he scored both goals and against Jamaica in a 1-0 win he scored the solitary goal). Now as you said we shouldn't be too quick to praise him but likewise not too quick to disregard him, as he is very young and has got a lot of talent. If he is indeed going to work hard, stay focused and reap the rewards lays entirely in his own hands I'd say.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Strange match, even Suisse commentators couldn't really comprehend what happened to the team, particularly in the 1st half. All I could think of was jetlag since the playing conditions were fairly ideal. Plus, they had looked very sharp in their two friendlies ahead of the WC kickoff. Yet, they looked like they were hung over. Poor touch, poor passing and a general lack of urgency was hard to figure out. Very disappointing

I didn't like Djourou starting but he ended up with some timely interceptions despite not marking anyone on Ecuador's goal - Arsenal fans must've felt some déjà vu. Mehmedi was a smart sub but I had wanted Behrami' subbed for Džemaili too - guess that turned out to be fortuitous considering Behrami initiated the winning goal with a fantastic defensive stop and spearheading the attack.

I thought the Suisse played far below their standards for the most part and I still wonder what was causing it. Even Inler & Lichtsteiner who can rotuinely be counted on to exceed expectations were underwhelming. And in the case of Stephan, he was Ecuador's most successful attacking outlet. Thought he showed his age there

Pissed about the disallowed goal as it was a beauty.

I suppose that was the only thing missing in this World Cup until now, a winner right in the final seconds - now we have it, it was glorious. I watched in a small Suisse village that set up a viewing tent complete with a BBQ, drinks etc. - very memorable atmosphere, especially with the win. I almost fell out of my seat when the pass came to Rodriguez and I thought he wouldn't be able to control it, then the goal :D

Status
Not open for further replies.