Day 5: Germany vs. Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becknaldolencia

What formation and what system Portugal has been playing in the build up to the WC? Who's starting in the middle and upfront? didn't catch any of their games.

The squad isn't good enough to win it for sure.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think his injury has been overplayed. Hasn't he been training consistently with the rest of the squad? He himself said he is in good enough condition for the game.
But he has also admitted he was in pain few days ago in training. Looks to me he just want to play the WC regardless of his condition.

Becknaldolencia

But he has also admitted he was in pain few days ago in training. Looks to me he just want to play the WC regardless of his condition.
Agreed, he doesn't want to miss out on the WC clearly. His focus will be on scoring goals only, like his last few games this season for Madrid.

CantonaGiggs1

I don't think Messi has any chance unless Argentina wins the WC. Ronaldo has been much much better and that's not even debatable.
I agree with you. I am just saying Ronaldo has to work twice(or even more)as hard to be considered for the award. Ronaldo was clearly the more deserving winner last time around but barely beat out an injured Messi for the award. If Messi has a decent world cup, he will win it. Ronaldo's stats and CL performance won't mean a thing to voters. They want Messi.

Lyricist

i'd also like to add that I WANT LIL' ERIK TO PLAY! I'M LOOKING AT YOU, JOGI!

Totally random, but Erik Durm's voice is the most disgusting voice of a German football player I have ever heard! :lol:
It's exactly like the voice of this 1.60m short blonde dude from my old grade in school who couldn't sing and was much too short to model but started modelling and singing in 12th grade anyway. That was over the year after though.

now back to topic, wtf. :angel:

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Totally random, but Erik Durm's voice is the most disgusting voice of a German football player I have ever heard! :lol:
It's exactly like the voice of this 1.60m short blonde dude from my old grade in school who couldn't sing and was much too short to model but started modelling and singing in 12th grade anyway. That was over the year after though.

now back to topic, wtf. :angel:
his voice is absolutely ridiculous. he sounds even worse than grosskreutz, and that's quite, erm, something.

Malva

I think ronaldo will do pretty well against germany if he's feeling good, which he seems to be.

Becknaldolencia

I agree with you. I am just saying Ronaldo has to work twice(or even more)as hard to be considered for the award. Ronaldo was clearly the more deserving winner last time around but barely beat out an injured Messi for the award. If Messi has a decent world cup, he will win it. Ronaldo's stats and CL performance won't mean a thing to voters. They want Messi.
Messi almost matches him in 2014 in terms of goals but Ronaldo still has the upper hand, CL win with Real Madrid gives him a huge advantage.

If Messi wins the world cup and both continue to go toe to toe then Messi would win it. Still early to think about that.

Lyricist

I think ronaldo will do pretty well against germany if he's feeling good, which he seems to be.

1/10
looks too injured to play.

Btw, after Caceres wearing long socks and baggy shorts for Uruguay with his legs almost not being visible at all this is quite a different approach. :lol:

Becknaldolencia

I can see why opposition fans hate him so much. He's easy to hate, that CL semi-final goal celebration against Bayern, cringe worthy.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
i'd propose this:

- - - - - - - - - - - neuer - - - - - - - - - - -
boateng - metzelder - hummels - durm
- - - - - lahm - - - schweinsteiger - - - -
- - - - götze - - kroos - - schürrle - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - müller - - - - - - - - - - -

+ sub in klose, özil and podolski at some point.

i'm so not into özil anymore, i'd rather see kroos or götze as the starting #10. hm.
götze and müller to fluently switch positions between RW and (semi-)striker.

btw, boateng/ronaldo is a crass mis-match imho, in terms of quick feet/movements at least. so one might be tempted to rather pick a blue-collar player like schürrle over götze as RW, to consistently help out against cristiano as well. plus i cannot really see löw keeping both özil and khedira on the bench. so it's a somewhat hypothetical line-up, i guess.

Last edited:

PedroMendez

Acolyte
If Portugal relies purely on individual class, they´ll lose. Ronaldo never really performed against germany. I am not worried about him at all. Moutinho could have a field day, if nobody picks him up.
I expect a scrappy game; the team that does less horrible mistakes will win. Lahm, Schweinsteiger + Kroos as MF would be great. That should stabilize the defense. That said, Özil will play for sure.

Banana007

Ronaldo hat trick.

All the top players have shined and scored, now the pressure is on Ronaldo to show why he won the Ballon d'Or and not a flat track bully, he hasn't set alight a World Cup yet, just like Messi hasn't but started to last night.

I know Ronaldo has a injury, but like Gaz Lineker said, all players go into tournaments with niggles (and he wanted to play every game for Real Madrid in meaningless games), he can't use it as a excuse which I think he and his fans will if he flops hard. It's like he always has an excuse ready so he can't lose and his reputation can't be hard. There is no risk for him because of that, and that means less pressure.

Banana007

This is Ronaldo's last World Cup at his peak, he will be 33 in the next World Cup in Russia and you expect him to have declined a bit by than.

If he makes it to Qatar (possibly) in 2022 at 37 I'd be amazed. I can see Russia 2018 as his last international tournament before retiring from international as he knows he won't get a better chance (didn't Figo retire internationally when he was 33 or 34?), not with Pepe and many other important Portuguese players retiring, he won't want to wait around. And he will want to prolong his club career (because can anyone see Ronaldo accepting a cameo bench role like Giggs? no siree)

Now or never for Ronaldo.

Do any Portuguese folks see the next great hope coming through the Portuguese ranks like Ronaldo did in Figo's time? I can't see it at the minute, what was the last great Portuguese player the academy's in Portugal produced? talent wise England beat them in a youth tournament before the World Cup.

Bento is not a great manager or tactician in my opinion, getting sacked by Sporting shows that, the players respect him because he's "one of the lads" but he's no Queiroz in terms of tactics and I think it will show. Portugal could do so much better, even Sven would do a better job but they don't seem to hire non-Portuguese or Brazilian managers.

Last edited:

Banana007

It will probably appeal immensely to Cristiano Ronaldo that he takes to the World Cup stage a day later than Lionel Messi when he faces Germany in Salvador on Monday.

After all, in the eyes of the current holder of the Ballon d’Or, it is surely only right that Fifa saves the best until last by allowing him to illuminate Brazil after the likes of Messi, Neymar, Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben have provided the warm-up act.

Portugal’s talisman has many qualities, but modesty is not one of them and even the manner in which he kept the world’s media waiting almost an hour beyond the allotted start time before conducting his pre-match press conference suggested he was milking the moment to its very limits. “Was I late?” Ronaldo said, when asked the reason for the delay before offering a smile and a shrug in his defence.

Ronaldo knows his value and status in the world game and, at 29, Brazil 2014 offers him the opportunity to plant his flag firmly alongside those of Pele, Diego Maradona and Johann Cruyff as iconic figures who have lit up this tournament.

Yet as he trained in the Arena Fonte Nova on Sunday with a light strapping to his left knee – a knee strain has troubled him in the build-up to the World Cup – Ronaldo’s failure to shine in Germany or South Africa in 2006 and 2010 respectively have increased the pressure on him to deliver in Brazil.

Two goals in 10 appearances, against the not-so-mighty Iran and North Korea, are all Ronaldo has to show from his two World Cups and the defining image remains the wink which greeted Wayne Rooney’s dismissal in Gelsenkirchen following his brutal foul on Ricardo Carvalho.

But Brazil offers Ronaldo the chance to make it third time lucky and he is clearly ready to grasp his opportunity in football’s spiritual home.

“I don’t think I have to show anyone anything,” Ronaldo said. “Look at my statistics and my CV – I have nothing to prove. My career has been great so far and I just want that to continue.

“But I believe that one player is not a team. I am here to help the team. I am an additional player and I can make a difference, but I can’t carry the team on my back. I want to be champion, but let’s take it a step at a time. We are not in the group of favourites, but we are one of the best. For me it pushes me forward to succeed at a tournament. I like challenges and I want to do my best in whatever competition I am in.”

While the world waits to crown Ronaldo or Messi as football’s greatest player following this World Cup, there is no doubt as to the Real Madrid forward’s global standing in Portugal. In an almost North Korean-style cult of personality, Ronaldo is regarded as the undisputed number one by his compatriots and the party line is trotted out with regularity.

“Cristiano is a very important player for us,” full-back Fabio Coentrao said. “He’s the best in the world. He’s a super-athlete and he has a tremendous will of helping the national team.”

Bruno Alves, Portugal’s rugged centre-half, offered a similarly effusive tribute to the player who stands one short of 50 goals for his country, having already eclipsed the likes of Eusebio, Luis Figo and previous all-time highest scorer Pauleta from the record books. “The best player in the world had to be in the World Cup and he will help the team to achieve our goals,” Alves said. “We count with our captain, always.”

For all of the platitudes, however, Ronaldo must now allow his actions to do the talking, as they last November when he inspired the Portuguese to a play-off victory against Sweden. That performance merely highlighted the reality that Portugal are all about Ronaldo. Joao Moutinho offers creativity and vision in midfield, but Germany will double-mark Ronaldo tonight because even they accept the unique threat he poses.

“You cannot let him out of your sight, literally,” Joachim Loew, the Germany coach, said. “You’ve always got to ask ’what’s Ronaldo doing, where is Ronaldo’. There is a question as to who can keep Ronaldo in check. Jerome Boateng has done that in the past, so too has Phillip Lahm, so together, they will deal with him.”

Ronaldo, at least, is fit after his recent scare, even though he concedes he is not quite at super-human level. “Obviously I would like to be at 110 per cent, but I am 100 per cent and that is enough to help the national team,” Ronaldo said.

“If am here it is because I want to play and help the national team. If I feel something, and I am sure I won’t feel anything during the game, I will not risk my career.

“I come first, not football.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...tugals-talisman-prepares-to-face-Germany.html

Translated for "if I don't shine I still believe I'm as good as Pele or Maradona"

That's the difference in attitudes between Messi and Ronaldo right there, where as Messi accepts the challenge and is humble about it, Ronaldo thinks hes above it and has nothing to prove. If that's the case, retire.

And it sums Ronaldo up that he uses the stat argument (the amount of goals hes scored) to defend himself, like I knew he would because they mean more to him than team trophies.

I just can't take him like some people can, I find him intensely dislikable. I respect what he did for United but I don't understand how some people still worship him, they have short memories how he ruined our summer of winning the double in 2008.

Ruht

Slightly disturbing pic by BILD :lol:

I'd love it if Müller scored and did a "Ronaldo" though.

Banana007

Slightly disturbing pic by BILD :lol:

I'd love it if Müller scored and did a "Ronaldo" though.
I predict the competition's first 0-0

It's extremely unlikely we will go through the first rounds without a 0-0. You would probably get decent odds on it.

Ruht

I don't see it ending 0:0. There will surely be at least 1 goal in this and hopefully it's as entertaining as the rest of the games have been so far.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Translated for "if I don't shine I still believe I'm as good as Pele or Maradona"

That's the difference in attitudes between Messi and Ronaldo right there, where as Messi accepts the challenge and is humble about it, Ronaldo thinks hes above it and has nothing to prove. If that's the case, retire.

And it sums Ronaldo up that he uses the stat argument (the amount of goals hes scored) to defend himself, like I knew he would because they mean more to him than team trophies.

I just can't take him like some people can, I find him intensely dislikable. I respect what he did for United but I don't understand how some people still worship him, they have short memories how he ruined our summer of winning the double in 2008.
Oh shut up you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Can't believe an innocuous quote like would get you this angry. Get a life.

He's playing for Portugal. Not Brazil, Argentina, Spain or Germany, he has nothing to prove this World Cup. Apart from Pepe there isn't a single great player on that team.

Malva

Oh shut up you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime. Can't believe an innocuous quote like would get you this angry. Get a life.

He's playing for Portugal. Not Brazil, Argentina, Spain or Germany, he has nothing to prove this World Cup. Apart from Pepe there isn't a single great player on that team.
i totally disagreed with banana as well, but i don't agree with your last sentence, that there isn't any other great players on that team. Moutinho is a fantastic midfielder, simply superb, coentrao is very good, rui patricio is a top goalkeeper, bruno alves with pepe made the best defence of euro 2012, nani at his best was our best player for 2 seasons, william carvalho is coming off a stellar season in portugal, raul meireles is a champions league winning midfielder (though i don't think he's great, he's still not a detriment). It's not a stunning team, but it's still a pretty good one in my opinion.

this same portugal team held the spanish team that beat italy 4-0 to a 0-0 draw. It is capable of beating anyone on it's day because of it's very solid defence, a fantastic passer in moutinho, and the best counter attack player in the world ronaldo.

Malva

kind of looks like pepe has just as good of a jump as ronaldo. pepe is shorter/ the same height as ronaldo too..

I've ALWAYS said that i believe ronaldo's jumping ability is overrated/overstated... but this surprises me.

anyways, looking at the kind of behavior ronaldo's had in training, and his northern ireland performance, it looks like he's in pretty much top shape going into the germany match. I expect he'll be fully fit, and that he'll be quite dangerous as usual.

Carter99

Ronaldo has been shutdown by Germany in all those games. I cant remember a single noteworthy performance against them.

But with the very suspect Boateng playing against him (yes he played well against him at the Euro 2012) i can see him scoring.

For Germany it all depends on the formation really. Its not too hard to pick but Löw will mess it up.

I can see Podolski starting with Özil being the Striker (who will fail horribly).

YzWayne

I have a feeling Portugal will edge this. Even if Germany has a better overall squad, Ronaldo has too much attacking threat for them to handle. It's kinda like Real Vs Bayern in some ways. I will think Nani will put in a fine performance too.

Hamadovich86

Excited about this one. A bit tough to predict cz I have no idea how Germany will lineup, hopefully it wont be the snoozefest some are expecting.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
People always think Portugal will beat Germany because of Ronaldo.

Ronaldo always has been quiet versus Germany. Stop this overrating of single players ffs. At this stage they won't make a huge difference.

We will beat them for the 4th time in a row (2006, 2008, 2012).

Carter99

Ronaldo always has been quiet versus Germany. Stop this overrating of single players ffs. At this stage they won't make a huge difference.

If Löw is playing the slow feck lazy small Özil against Pepe and Bruno Alves i cant see us getting a win there.

If we play Klose or Müller upfront i can see us getting a close 2:1 or 3:2 with Ronaldo scoring atleast one

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

I don't think that's the case at all. Most people think Germany can beat most teams at the WC and that they are capable of winning the whole thing. I can't imagine anyone saying the same thing about Portugal. That's why Germany are third favourites with the betting shops.

Ronaldo's the random factor. We've all seen a player deliver an against-the-odds result, or even a string of them the way Forlan did for Uruguay in 2010. But actually when you look at that Uruguay run it stopped when they hit Holland - the first big team (France in the group don't count: they ended up with one point, not their year).

Now the distance between Germany and Portugal isn't so enormous that a couple of mistakes by the German team and a great day from Portugal couldn't give Portugal a win - and a great day from Portugal almost certainly has to include at least some moments of greatness for Ronaldo. But I really think that's the limit of Ronaldo's significance.

Alun

Have a terrible feeling that portugal will win

Carter99

i'd propose this:

- - - - - - - - - - - neuer - - - - - - - - - - -
boateng - metzelder - hummels - durm
- - - - - lahm - - - schweinsteiger - - - -
- - - - götze - - kroos - - schürrle - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - müller - - - - - - - - - - -

+ sub in klose, özil and podolski at some point.

i'm so not into özil anymore, i'd rather see kroos or götze as the starting #10. hm.
götze and müller to fluently switch positions between RW and (semi-)striker.

btw, boateng/ronaldo is a crass mis-match imho, in terms of quick feet/movements at least. so one might be tempted to rather pick a blue-collar player like schürrle over götze as RW, to consistently help out against cristiano as well. plus i cannot really see löw keeping both özil and khedira on the bench. so it's a somewhat hypothetical line-up, i guess.

Yep Metzelder looks like a good idea. Too bad he already retired and played his last match for Germany in 2008.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
A life, where I want to see the fantastic work of German clubs in terms of youth development being rewarded with some kind of silverware. I´m absolutely certain that we won´t win this tournament. Not just a negative feeling, I´m sure of it. We will get past the group stages on nothing else but individual class of our players and then go out in the KO stages vs. the first team which is around our level in that regard. At a certain point individual class won´t be enough without the proper tactics and system and we will hit a dead end once again. Löw won´t have to answer the hard questions and keep clinging to his spot as national coach.

Let´s face it. As long as nothing drastic happens, nothing will change. I will continue to be frustrated by a national team which consists of players, who largely can´t perform to their club forms because of being forced into a poor system. I will have to watch a mediocre coach in relation to the standart of the Bundesliga for years to come, wasting all the work the German clubs do and the strongest generation of players since the 70ies. So, yeah, if one truly poor tournament results into exposing Löw as the clown he is and some much needed changes in the ranks of the German officials, I´ll take it. I won´t like it, but I´ll take it.
I really start to believe this generation of fans significantly underrates our squad in the late 80's/early 90's. Our defense was on a total different level individually, we had worldclass strikers, exciting attacking players and probably our 2nd best player of all time at the peak of his career bossing the midfield.

If you look at the worldcup winning team in the 90's, then Brehme, Kohler, Buchwald, Matthäus, Klinsmann, Völler would easily walk into our team and even the positions where the generation today has an edge had great players in it. Littbarski at his peak was fecking brilliant and you could (probably should) pick him ahead of Reus, Özil, Götze at the moment. Brehme and Reuter as a fullback pair in comparison to the dross we have now (with Lahm forced to play in midfield), Kohler in defense with an abundance of tough quality centerbacks available next to him. Excellent strikers upfront, Hässler, Möller, Bein and Thon on the bench as options in attack. It's not like Beckenbauer was an amazing manager with great tactics, the players just made it work.

Of course we have an amazing generation at the moment and I want Löw gone, because he's a fecking idiot, but let's not downplay the outstanding squad we had when we last won the worldcup. Our talent in attack is incredible at the moment, no doubt, but barely any of our potentially worldclass players are at the peak of their career at the moment with the exception of Lahm. The rest is either too young, injured or not that good. We had a few flawless squads in the past and this clearly isn't one and that's not Löw's fault at all (and nominating Kiessling, Lasogga or Volland wouldn't change that at all) and it's far from a given that we find a coach who does a better job than Löw. I'm not sure Heynckes would take over :( and Klopp, Tuchel and all the young ones aren't leaving club football just yet. Imagine Löw fired and Slomka taking over, who is a very likely replacement, would you really trust him more? I wouldn't, his managing career at his clubs is even worse than Löw's and there's nothing to suggest he would all of a sudden become a better coach with the nationalteam.

What I'm saying is, every fan of the German nationalteam who hopes for Germany to get battered and go out with embarrassing performances just to get rid of Löw is a fecking idiot (sorry but I stand by that). Golden generations have usually 2 chances to win the worldcup, very rarely 3. You can lose games with brilliant performances and win games with shit performances. You don't hope for wasting one of maybe two chances to win the greatest price in football with this generation, that's plain stupid. Great players often made it work 'despite' the manager and many of our players have individually a lot to prove before they deserve the one of the strongest German generation of all time stamp (which clearly is very different to the 'arguably most technically talented generation').

MarcRed96

Portugal have some good players but I think Germany should win this. It should be a good game and I expect we'll see some more goals so I'll go for a 3-1 win to Germany.

I don't think Ronaldo is fully fit by the way. I reckon he's been rushed back and I can see him struggling in this game, which certainly wont help Portugal's chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.