Day 5: Germany vs. Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinky

I fancy Germany to struggle and believe another Spain/Netherlands could happen.

Germany 1-3 Portugal

kolli

Wolff Fuss, IMO the best German commentator at the moment, who is usually well informed expects the following line-up:

Neuer; Boateng, Mertesacker, Hummels, Höwedes; Lahm, Khedira, Kroos; Schürrle, Müller, Podolski

I would be a lot happier with that than with the line-up BILD printed yesterday, which had Özil playing as the striker instead of Müller and Schürrle on the bench.

Still don't see the point of Höwedes at leftback, but confidence is growing the closer we are to the game. I'm predicting a 3-0 win for Germany.

Carter99

@Balu I never get why someone would want his team to struggle in a major tournament.

How often do you get the chance to win the WC? Yes 1 mabye 2 times and then the next generation comes along.

This team has got all the ingredients to be champion. Besides Netherlands none of the favourite teams looked really impressive so far.

The problem is Löw is bad. He just doesnt get the easiest things.

Lahm is the best RB in the world, so lets play him in midfield.

Khedira and Özil flat out suck and Khedira isnt even fit, but lets play them because they are my pet cats.

And the worst things is that he still thinks False 9 would be the great deal, eventough most teams realized its not working on that level.

He thinks its the Nr.1 option because Spain won a lot with it when they often played Villa or Fabregas upfront.
Problem is we dont have Iniesta and Xavi in midfield.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Backing Nani to have a stormer here. The German fullbacks are weak, and Nani has been in good form recently.

Lyricist

On the one hand I hate Löw and I am still mentally in tears due to the injuries of Reus, Gündogan, Bender and so on...

But on the other hand none of the favorites have looked that great so far. That makes me think that it's too unlikely for all the favorites to play shit, so Germany will have to be good.

Twisted logic!

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Low gets way too much stick from German fans. He did well in 2008 and 2010. 2012 was the major blooper. I think he has done enough to deserve this final shot at the WC.

Carter99

On the one hand I hate Löw and I am still mentally in tears due to the injuries of Reus, Gündogan, Bender and so on...

But on the other hand none of the favorites have looked that great so far. That makes me think that it's too unlikely for all the favorites to play shit, so Germany will have to be good.

Twisted logic!

Well Netherlands looked more than impressive for me

MikeMango

I predict a boring match.
Löw talked so much about Portugals counter attacking, so the team will choose a careful approach. The Line up will be unusual defensive.

Portugal will still sit deep and try to break germany with counter attacks.

So a lot of ball passing between defenders will happen.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I got a hunch that Durm won't play. Which is a shame because I think he's probably the best option but he'll bottle the decision and go for Howedes instead.

Spielmacher

I got a hunch that Durm won't play. Which is a shame because I think he's probably the best option but he'll bottle the decision and go for Howedes instead.
I think he'll thake the more save option in Höwedes too. That probably means Lahm will play at RB, with Schweinsteiger and Khedira forming the defensive-midfield.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Nani almost always plays well in tournaments. In 2008 when Germany played Portugal it also got interesting when Nani came on.

Will Ronaldo start?

I predict a similar game and result to the one in 2012 when both teams played the opening game.

I also predict Germany and Portugal to go through as 1st and 2nd in the group.

saivet

Looks like I'll miss this match, or some of it at least. Hopefully Portugal can pull something out the bag.

Gianni

I am not feeling very confident about this one but who knows, maybe we (Portugal) can surprise the germans and get a good result.
At least the camel predicted a Portugal win so there is still hope :wenger:.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
one of those games that im hoping football wins but both sides lose!!!

i im it be wrong to cheer for the germans, and i want to see ronaldo cry sooo it like picking which member of one direction is your favorite when you want them all to get hit by a bus!

Spielmacher

Özil and Podolski enjoying the brazilian atmosphere.

Yes, I'm talking about the BBWs in the back.

Last edited:

Hamadovich86

I'm curious as to who will start up front and in the middle for Germany. I dunno if Gotze is suited to play in a false 9 role but at the same time Klose is 36 years old he cant play a full 90 minutes at the highest level imo. In the middle the question is between Kroos, Schweinsteiger and Khedira (did I miss anyone?) who should play and in what role especially considering that Khedira and Schweinsteiger are coming off of injuries.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
one of those games that im hoping football wins but both sides lose!!!

i im it be wrong to cheer for the germans, and i want to see ronaldo cry sooo it like picking which member of one direction is your favorite when you want them all to get hit by a bus!
This is how I felt in the England-Italy game :lol:

Cina

I was really looking forward to seeing Germany play, but far less so now that Reus is out.

Should be an interesting game, although Ronaldo probably isn't fully fit which is disappointing. Agree with KM that Nani could do a job on the fullbacks, but we all know how erratic he can be.

I'd guess a draw but we haven't had any draws yet so f*ck knows really.

Malva

I was really looking forward to seeing Germany play, but far less so now that Reus is out.

Should be an interesting game, although Ronaldo probably isn't fully fit which is disappointing. Agree with KM that Nani could do a job on the fullbacks, but we all know how erratic he can be.

I'd guess a draw but we haven't had any draws yet so f*ck knows really.
he's been saying he's fully fit, and from all i've seen of his recovery progress there's nothing to suggest he isn't fully fit or extremely near full capacity.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'm amazed by some of the reactions to the German team and its prospects. I knew Löw isn't highly rated, but it hadn't occurred to me just how bad people feel he is. Even to the point of accepting a heavy defeat as a reasonable price for his resignation/sacking. He sounds about as popular as Moyes.

I look back at Germany's young squad in 2010 and remember what a breath of fresh air they seemed to be, and I always assumed that he got some credit for that. Instead it sounds like people see that as an example or a symptom of his failure. I guess it's just that I'm not a fan so I'm not so sensitive or maybe because most England fans would be overjoyed to have that kind of team.

It's great for the forum to see these other angles on the international game.

Spielmacher

he's been saying he's fully fit, and from all i've seen of his recovery progress there's nothing to suggest he isn't fully fit or extremely near full capacity.
He looked fresh when he came on against Ireland too, now almost a week later he should really be ready, he's a professional and knows his body well, he'll also want to show a great performance against the germans.

There's huge pressure on him, even if you don't take Messi's good start into account, but he's proven in the past that he can thrive on that.

Banana007

I think we got that after the first dozen or so posts you made on the subject.
Where as you love him and suck his **** constantly defending him lol

I can't remember one negative post you made about him.

I always said he's a great player, but he's dislikable, but you can't even admit he's dislikeable like I can say he's a great player.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think the only scare they've had since the Ireland game was him limping out of training with an icepack on his knee. But players play with various degrees of injury all the time, particularly at the end of the season, so I suspect a far few players have hobbled out of training this past fortnight without it having great significance.

I am not feeling very confident about this one but who knows, maybe we (Portugal) can surprise the germans and get a good result.
At least the camel predicted a Portugal win so there is still hope :wenger:.
Well if the camel say so, I don't see why the German team will bother showing up.

Carter99

I'm amazed by some of the reactions to the German team and its prospects. I knew Löw isn't highly rated, but it hadn't occurred to me just how bad people feel he is. Even to the point of accepting a heavy defeat as a reasonable price for his resignation/sacking. He sounds about as popular as Moyes.

I look back at Germany's young squad in 2010 and remember what a breath of fresh air they seemed to be, and I always assumed that he got some credit for that. Instead it sounds like people see that as an example or a symptom of his failure. I guess it's just that I'm not a fan so I'm not so sensitive or maybe because most England fans would be overjoyed to have that kind of team.

The problem is that Löw doesnt seem to be the person that can make the final step.
He probably has the best Roster (well except for Reus now) available but always fails in the big games.

2012 was there for the taking. We had the best team in the tournament and crushed everyone until Italy came. His lack of game plan and adjustments were revealed.

He really fails to get the best out of this squad. I mean how he still thinks Özil or Götze can play False9 or Höwedes is a LB is really mindbuggering.

The problem is he wont go. He already said he wants to stay if they just make it out of the group. But the pressure in the media and from the fans will be immense if they dont win it or atleast make the final this time.

Banana007

Has Ozil played as a false 9 before? I think it's a disaster waiting to happen

0-0 or 1-1

Carter99

Has Ozil played as a false 9 before? I think it's a disaster waiting to happen

0-0 or 1-1

Özil against Pepe and Alves will be a joy to watch.

He will decline and cry after the first hard tackle.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers

Some people are exaggerating. I agree with you Löw deserves some credit for the 2010 WC, if you look back who seriously believed we could make it this far? Spain was just on another level, we had no chance on that day, with Müller out as well. Yet all you see people post on here is how he ultimately fails in all the big games.

2012 is another story, even though I don't believe we HAD to win the tournament, we still should've made it to the final. Nevertheless it was ONE game, but some people on here are constantly bashing Löw since two years. Get behind your team ffs, you can judge him after the tournament but I just hate this kind of attitude, it is really "typical german" to moan at him like that.

Okocha119

Has Ozil played as a false 9 before?
He has. Against Serbia 2010 after Klose was sent off which was a disaster. Has played the role a couple of times after when either Klose or Gomez got subbed, never really convincingly. Did it in the friendly against France last year for the second half which might have been the only time it was alright, but Pepe is going to have a field day with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.