Day 9: Cameroon vs Serbia | South Korea vs Ghana | Brazil vs Switzerland | Portugal vs Uruguay

shahzy

The maxim of football of the last decade: if you have Casemiro you win
I didn't realise how good he was until he removed himself from Modric and Kroos. I just thought that Madrid trio was carried by Kroos and Modric. Turns out they could only do what they do because Casemiro clearly was allowing them to do ZERO defensive work. Sheesh

RoyH1

Brazil have not been as impressive as their favourites tag suggests. After two rounds, I'd say France look the team to beat. Brazil, Spain and England have been decent if not unspectacular.
I think Switzerland makes anyone look bad with their grinding style. I don’t think France would run them over either.

massi83

I think Switzerland makes anyone look bad with their grinding style. I don’t think France would run them over either.
Didn't in the Euros. Well, they did, for a while, but then forgot to defend

redshaw

Good attacking play from Brazil despite the one goal

Feels good to have a few top players out there playing for United again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I didn't realise how good he was until he removed himself from Modric and Kroos. I just thought that Madrid trio was carried by Kroos and Modric. Turns out they could only do what they do because Casemiro clearly was allowing them to do ZERO defensive work. Sheesh
More than that, the guy is genuinely good in attack as well. If he played in the 90s he'd have been Keane or Vieira. Rolls Royce of a player. The guy has a game winning goal in a CL final too. Him missing the Belgium game in Russia is the whole reason Brazil aren't reigning champions

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Rafa Leao still on the bench. I thought he’d be a certain starter over @Sly ’s favourite player Joao Felix :wenger:
Rafa leão on the bench makes no sense, then again neither does Neves.

At least Nuno Mendes is starting.

Looks like Fernando santos is going back to his shit housery today since he’s playing a good team

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Portugal vs Uruguay will be an ugly like the Mexico vs Argentina. Specially in terms of theatrics and fouling
Hope Bruno stays safe and not get injured..

the_cliff

More than that, the guy is genuinely good in attack as well. If he played in the 90s he'd have been Keane or Vieira. Rolls Royce of a player. The guy has a game winning goal in a CL final too. Him missing the Belgium game in Russia is the whole reason Brazil aren't reigning champions
Completely agree with you there.

Doesn't get mentioned enough how much they missed him in that game. It's as bad as missing Thiago Silva and Neymar in 14.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They are like Denmark, it's never easy to play them. They are organized and don't get demoralized during difficult periods.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It’s written in the stars we are going to lose this

Dazzmondo

Portuguese manager continuing to bench one of his best players in Leao. Portugal squad is right up there with France, Brazil and Spain yet nobody believes they are legitimate contenders because of their manager and the continued insistence on starting Cristiano Ronaldo. They'll probably get out of the group but don't see them going much further.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They did literally beat France in the Euros...though in fairness France helped a lot with that. France are just generally a bad matchup for Switzerland though since they can play so fast and direct with Mbappé and Dembele, with a big dominant target man in Giroud winning aerial duels and laying the ball off for them

And Brazil were missing Neymar in this game. Ideally in the absence of Neymar they should start Gabriel Jesus and Rodrygo over Richarlison and Paqueta imo, along with Bruno Guimaraes in midfield. Ironically for Brazil they lack quality wingbacks

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Portuguese manager continuing to bench one of his best players in Leao. Portugal squad is right up there with France, Brazil and Spain yet nobody believes they are legitimate contenders because of their manager and the continued insistence on starting Cristiano Ronaldo. They'll probably get out of the group but don't see them going much further.
Although they have a good team, I think they're a level below Brazil and France squad wise

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Portugal vs Uruguay will be an ugly like the Mexico vs Argentina. Specially in terms of theatrics and fouling
Really. I'm gonna watch because there's nothing else on TV but not expecting a pleasant game, lots of shithousery and negative football. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

CloneMC16

That footage of the Portugal team bus can't be live, right? They're kicking off in 50 minutes.

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
Looking at that Portugal team, they could go all the way, so much quality. I still have Germany and France as the biggest favorites though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They are like Denmark, it's never easy to play them. They are organized and don't get demoralized during difficult periods.
For the record: we dismantled them both times in the qualifiers. Somehow failed to beat them both times, missing a penalty both times... :lol:

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I think we have had our fill of exciting games for the day. The two games you wouldn't really expect to be great were brilliant and the two you expect to be brilliant will be boring

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For the record: we dismantled them both times in the qualifiers. Somehow failed to beat them both times, missing a penalty both times... :lol:
I almost hate the idea of playing either teams, it doesn't matter how good you think you are, they both have a chance. I could add Uruguay to the list.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
You also battered Bulgaria, and somehow got a draw only.

With better strikers than Belotti and Immobile you would be playing this WC instead of Switzerland.

Immobile has been so bad for Italy.

Dazzmondo

Although they have a good team, I think they're a level below Brazil and France squad wise
I don't agree tbh. I think the players on their bench are fantastic. Maybe they're 3rd but it's close particularly between them and Brazil. In fact Brazil have quite a big weakness in the full back positions, whereas Portugal aren't really lacking in any position, so I think you could actually argue they have a better squad than Brazil.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Rafa leão on the bench makes no sense, then again neither does Neves.

At least Nuno Mendes is starting.

Looks like Fernando santos is going back to his shit housery today since he’s playing a good team
Fernando Santos is on Mendes payroll and they need desperately sale Ruben and Felix so they play.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't agree tbh. I think the players on their bench are fantastic. Maybe they're 3rd but it's close particularly between them and Brazil. In fact Brazil have quite a big weakness in the full back positions, whereas Portugal aren't really lacking in any position, so I think you could actually argue they have a better squad than Brazil.
Portugal lack in terms of CB that they have to play a terrible Danilo. They also lack quality at the striker position despite the presence of Homelander