g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

DDG - it needs to be said

Jaae

Not ITK
He's continuously let Ole down over the past 2 years. He should have no mercy in dropping him to the bench.

JG3001

Always had the risk of becoming another Rooney when we offered that stupidly big contract on the back of a poor season. Said some time ago that we should have cashed in while we had the chance to get good money.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We need a refurbishment, which we're having. De gea is apart of the old furniture and regardless of how comfortable that furniture is, IT NEEDS TO GO FOR US TO MOVE ON FROM THE PAST.

James Peril

DDG is the least of our problems. He might not be the sensation he was a few years ago when properly motivated, but he still does a fine job and makes saves only he can make every other game. I would be fine with replacing him with someone spectacular waiting in the wings, but Henderson certainly ain’t thay guy. Let’s stop rewarding mediocrity, Henderson made a lot of mistakes last year that would have been highlighted much more at United. Being a GK for Sheff United is another world compared, much easier task.

galwayfa

He is a reactive keeper, quick reflexes, but not a brave keeper, 3rd goal on him not harry

Skåre Willoch

I really don’t see any reason at all to not start Henderson from now on. It should be his place to lose.

The Real Treble 99

I just don’t think DDG has what it takes anymore. Henderson is young, agile & definitely more sharper.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Henderson wasn’t great against West Ham but does deserve a run of games. The competition for places did seem to improve DDG earlier in the season but he was shite for most of last season and has long-standing weaknesses in terms of bravery and speed off his line that aren’t going away and are costing us. Can’t see the harm in giving Hendo a run of games.

Adamsk7

I genuinely believe you can look at a player in their eyes and see what they are about. Dean Henderson’s say that he’s ready, hungry for success, committed. Every time he plays I think “yeah he’ll go through a player to get the ball”. De Gea, for as good as he’s been over the years, does not have that same look about him. We need a full first 11 that has that fire.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I genuinely believe you can look at a player in their eyes and see what they are about. Dean Henderson’s say that he’s ready, hungry for success, committed. Every time he plays I think “yeah he’ll go through a player to get the ball”. De Gea, for as good as he’s been over the years, does not have that same look about him. We need a full first 11 that has that fire.
It would transform our defence if they had a hungry, raring to go, keeper behind them.

Fitchett

DDG was insanely good for five years, but his form has dipped since the 2018 World Cup. Now, it's a mix of brilliant shot stopping, conceding goals when going with his feet and bottling out of challenges. His lack of command of the area was always overcome by his unbelievable shot stopping. But now it's too many errors and soft goals conceded, with tonight being a new low.

Time to give Dean Henderson a run of ten games, and then make a decision on our long term number 1 keeper.

Oldtraffordboy

DDG was always a bit feeble with no command of his box, but he had the best reactions in the world.
That's gone now.

Hendo can at least help the defence out by shouting and organising.

Scholsey2004

I've thought this for a while now. He's always got an error in him nowadays.

Based Adnan

He's been shit ever since he cost us top 4 single handedly 2 seasons ago and got rewarded for that with a long term 350k a week contract

Utterly ridiculous decision and one that will ensure he won't leave the club until it expires because no other club is as thick as we are

Add to that he's a fecking coward and he should have been dropped a long time ago but here we are

sect2k

He's continuously let Ole down over the past 2 years. He should have no mercy in dropping him to the bench.
And what does that fact he is still picked first, tell you about Ole? Just this years, his reluctance or inability to throw himself at the ball has cost us goals. He should have been benched for a while now as he is way past his peak.

UnitedFan93

DDG is the least of our problems. He might not be the sensation he was a few years ago when properly motivated, but he still does a fine job and makes saves only he can make every other game. I would be fine with replacing him with someone spectacular waiting in the wings, but Henderson certainly ain’t thay guy. Let’s stop rewarding mediocrity, Henderson made a lot of mistakes last year that would have been highlighted much more at United. Being a GK for Sheff United is another world compared, much easier task.
Sorry but that's utter nonsense, he's been poor for a while now and has been making really basic errors for a few seasons now (DCL goal last season, his disaster show at the Nou Camp, dropping the ball into his net against Watford, and many, many more).

He's not good enough, and doesn't deserve a third of his weekly wages. The fact that Kepa was starting ahead of him for Spain should ring alarm bells, as Kepa is the biggest coward out there.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd play Henderson now as well, while I was far from convinced about him last season and going into this there is something new and refreshing about seeing him in the team and oppose to Romero we know he's got eyes on being more than just a backup

croadyman

I'd play Henderson now as well, while I was far from convinced about him last season and going into this there is something new and refreshing about seeing him in the team and oppose to Romero we know he's got eyes on being more than just a backup
Yeah why didn't Ole keep faith in Deano and play him for a second game in a row

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Some other Chelsea fan pointed this out to me on here (apologies that I can't recall exactly who), but this is really evocative of our recent Cech / Courtois situation. Obviously there are some differences in terms of contract situations and whatnot, but despite how badly it ended with Courtois at Chelsea it was very obviously the correct move to make him the number 1.

The problem for you now is that the market for De Gea is very limited - which top team that can afford his wages would be be an upgrade for? Can't really think of anyone off the top of my head.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Never leaves his line. I wish we use a goalie who commands the box. DDG will never be able to do it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
DDG has always been world class at only one aspect of his job: reaction saves. Now, that's a big enough part of his job that he's widely still regarded as one of the world's best.

But it totally ignores these other areas:
1. Communication and organisation: Van Der Sar when he arrived with us had basically lost half his shot saving ability. But he was a master of coordinating and organising his defence. De Gea appears to be dead silent until immediately after a goal.
2. Dominating his 6-yard box: The number of goals we've conceded in the past 3 seasons where a 'stronger' keeper would have sorting things out is staggering. Most notably on free kicks and corners, when De Gea is frequently beaten from 'point blank' - ie - he could have gone and the got the ball himself, but remains rooted to his line.
3. Penalties: It's worth saying, penalties are becoming and a bigger and bigger facet of football and Dave is historically one of the very worst.
4. Distribution: He's barely in the top half of keepers in the Prem.

So we'd definitely lose a bit of the cat-like impossible saving potential, but if Henderson (or a. nother) can provide us sizeable improvements in the other areas, I honestly don't think we'd be worse off.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He has great reflexes and has made some fantastic saves down the years but he never really inspired confidence in the way Edwin or Schmikes did. Great keepers are a bit arrogant, domineering and super confident. I never really get that vibe from DDG.
Of course hthe club hasn't helped him by having a bunch of stiffs in front of him for the past 6 or 7 seasons.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he's been quite good this year and gets no blame for that 3rd goal from me, unless he called for Maguire to leave it (which i doubt he did, would be idiotic). Last year was shit yeah, but he's been fine this season. Henderson definitely the future, and they're at a bit of an awkward age gap. L

Eternitiy

He cost us Champions League qualification in 2019.
He cost us 3 Semi Finals in 2020.
Now he knocks us out of the Champions League again.

Romero was treated disgracefully in 2019 and 2020. Now Henderson must be perplexed by what is going on here. How is he not our first choice ahead of this fallen giant. Everyone can see it except Ole.

Ole is so frightened of de Gea. He is not brave enough to drop such a big name even when it is the glaringly obvious thing to do.

UmbroDays

He should have gone with his hands for PSG's 2nd and should have wiped out mini-Klivert today, no way should you be getting chipped in your 6-yard area and you haven't even gone to ground

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I don't disagree with the sentiment that Henderson should be playing over Dave these days but some of the comments in here about a player who has given us so much are absolutely shameful. This all down to management imho - not the player.

kundalini

One of Solskjaer's biggest mistakes, alongside poor use of transfer funds, has been keeping faith with De Gea.

A player that performs poorly should be dropped. De Gea gets selected on reputation. He used to be an elite keeper.

We should have taken a serious look at Romero in order to make a comparison, and since he is clearly soon to depart, we should be giving Henderson a fair chance to take the position, rather than an occasional start.

Last edited:

GledTheRed

I got shoy down for daring to question his performance against PSG last week.

His hearts not in it, another Pogba this one.

The Oracle

We need a refurbishment, which we're having. De gea is apart of the old furniture and regardless of how comfortable that furniture is, IT NEEDS TO GO FOR US TO MOVE ON FROM THE PAST.
Completely agree.

kundalini

I think he's been quite good this year and gets no blame for that 3rd goal from me, unless he called for Maguire to leave it (which i doubt he did, would be idiotic). Last year was shit yeah, but he's been fine this season. Henderson definitely the future, and they're at a bit of an awkward age gap. L
While De Gea hasn't made many clear errors, and has made a few impressive saves (Callum Wilson at Newcastle), his stats in the PL this season are horrendous:

Out of the 20 keepers with the most appearances for their team, he ranks:

- 19th for save percentage in the PL this season (53.8%). Lowest is Ryan of Brighton 50.0% then ahead of De Gea you've got Patricio of Wolves and Martinez of Villa 62.9%, another five keepers between 66% and 69%. 9 keepers between 70% and 75%. Lloris 81.3% and Mendy 83.3%. Last season Kepa Arrizabalaga was at 54.5%. De Gea has only had one PL season in which his save percentage was below 70% and that was 69% under Moyes.

- 16th relative to post-shot expected goals. Currently - 1.0 (so conceded one more goal than expected from the shots that were on target). 12 keepers have conceded fewer goals than expected. Sam Johnstone top at + 3.8. Post-shot expected goals is a relatively new concept. This is the 4th season for which there are stats. De Gea's past 3 seasons were + 7.9, + 0.9 and + 2.1 (last season).

- 20th for taking crosses. 1.6%. 10 keepers between 5% and 9.7%. 3 keepers currently above 10% (De Gea has always performed poorly in this particular stat. Again 4th season for which there is data)

- 16th for sweeper keeper. 0.35 per game. 8 keepers between 0.70 and 0.90 per game. (De Gea has always performed poorly in this category. 4 seasons of data).

I don't know how you assess passing from the stats available. He may be performing better at this than many other keepers.

Of course, the sample size is very small at the moment.

De Gea's save percentage in the CL is 60%. Across the two competitions it will be below 60%. Henderson has saved 8 out of 11 shots on target in PL (7/8) + CL (1/3).

All stats from: https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/David-de-Gea

Last edited:

croadyman

Deano should be in on Saturday but knowing Ole Dave will keep his place

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
While De Gea hasn't made many clear errors, and has made a few impressive saves (Callum Wilson at Newcastle), his stats in the PL this season are horrendous:

Out of the 20 keepers with the most appearances for their team, he ranks:

- 19th for save percentage in the PL this season (53.8%). Lowest is Ryan of Brighton 50.0% then ahead of De Gea you've got Patricio of Wolves and Martinez of Villa 62.9%, another four keepers between 66% and 69%. 9 keepers between 70% and 75%. Lloris 81.3% and Mendy 83.3%. Last season Kepa Arrizabalaga was at 54.5%

- 16th relative to post-shot expected goals. Currently - 1.0 (so conceded one more goal than expected from the shots that were on target). 12 keepers have conceded fewer goals than expected. Sam Johnstone top at + 3.8

- 20th for taking crosses. 1.6%. 3 keepers currently above 10%

- 16th for sweeper keeper. 0.35 per game.

I don't know how you assess passing from the stats available. He may be performing better at this than some other keepers.
Woof. I knew he'd regressed but didn't realize it was that bad.