De Bruyne Mania - Gabriel Jesus new latest example

AgentP

He is exactly what Pogba is supposed to be, hope Pogba studies him. Efficient usage of his talent, passing and creavity.
Sadly true. And Pogba has the technical ability to do all that Kdb does. It's just the mental aspect that he needs to work on.

JSArsenal

Apparently, he has assisted goals at the best rate in PL history. It's not a purple patch as I myself suggested above in this thread.

Best assist-per-match rates in PL history

Player
Matches (50+) Assists Assists per match

Kevin De Bruyne
71 31 0.44
Eric Cantona 156 56 0.36
Mesut Ozil 121 42 0.35
Cesc Fabregas 318 107 0.34
David Silva 227 70 0.31
Reyes 69 21 0.30
David Beckham 265 80 0.30
Dennis Bergkamp 315 94 0.30
Nani 147 43 0.29
Thierry Henry 258 74 0.29

City have in their midfield two assist machines.

Didn't expect Cantona to be so high. Nani too.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/488457
Isn't this slightly disingenuous given that De Bruyne has played less games than everyone on this list except Reyes? Far less I might add.

He is a fantastic player but I don't see how this stat alone helps his case because for a fantastic player in his prime this isn't unexpected. Whereas someone like Bergkamp was playing well into his 30s, past his prime years and as a substitute. Those games would cause his assist rate to drop. Fabregas and Beckham were thrust into the first team as youngsters and for how good they were, a young player will have ups and downs. Not to mention being used as a substitute at times or taken off early. Difficult to compare that to De Bruyne who came to City at 24 or so and had already spent his developmental years at Chelsea and in Germany.

This type of stat would be more useful in four to five years time when it could be seen if De Bruyne can keep this rate up or whether he will have a dip in form or suffer injuries.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Not long since watched the City highlights, he really is a lovely player to watch. Doesn't have that aura around him like some of the biggest names but as a footballer he's sheer class. Too good for the likes of City that's for certain, surprised Bayern weren't all over him before his move unless they believed Robben and Ribery were immortal, either that or they wouldn't pay the fee.

JoaquinJoaquin

He is brilliant, unfortunately. City would be a much poorer side without him that's for sure.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Not long since watched the City highlights, he really is a lovely player to watch. Doesn't have that aura around him like some of the biggest names but as a footballer he's sheer class. Too good for the likes of City that's for certain, surprised Bayern weren't all over him before his move unless they believed Robben and Ribery were immortal, either that or they wouldn't pay the fee.
They wanted to wait a year and get him on the cheap, if I remember rightly. Tight club.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Sounds about right for them. Never seem to fork out for anyone, even got Rodriquez on a loan. Lord knows how they manage it all.
They have first dibs on every German player, players who seem strangely reluctant to leave their own league and country.

Players run down their contracts to join them on the cheap, Lewandowski from their biggest rival and soon enough Leon Goretzka, probably countless other examples as well.

Paul_Scholes18

He is such a fantastic player. I don't like City doing well, but watching Kevin De Bruyne can still be a big joy. Best player in the league no doubt in my views. His vision and reading of the game is so damn good.

Watching the goals from City and De Bruyne is behind so much.

Wayne's World

Everything he touches is turning to gold right now. I still think he's a tad overrated though but when everything is going right he can be effective.

Hasn't done it in enough big games in the past for City so just like what most people judge Lukaku on, I'll wait to see him doing it when the pressure's on instead of against a Stoke City team that totally gave up at 4-2 down

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
The only thing missing from his game now is his strategic passing. Once he adds that he would probably be the most complete Central midfielder in Europe.

leontas

Watching the highlights from today he was the chief architect of at least 4 of City's goals. His passing is just unreal and he is currently the best player in the league. He was just everywhere.

Zoo

He is exactly what Pogba is supposed to be, hope Pogba studies him. Efficient usage of his talent, passing and creavity.
Bollocks Pogba is better defensively and more of an all round midfielder. He doesn't need to study De Bruyne at all.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Said earlier on when this thread was first created. The guy is simply world class and possibly the best player in the league. Not really sure what the OP was getting at tbh.

Sublime player.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We should have made him, Aguero and Silva Man Utd players when they were available.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Bollocks Pogba is better defensively and more of an all round midfielder. He doesn't need to study De Bruyne at all.
Whilst I don't disagree that pogba is better defensively in what way is he a better all round midfielder?

Walters_19_MuFc

Been brilliant so far this season, but to be branded world class, he'll need to be at the level he's at, at a more consistent basis to me. Not only in the Premier League, but in the Champions League too.

Zoo

Whilst I don't disagree that pogba is better defensively in what way is he a better all round midfielder?
I didn't say better but he's a different player. He is also an great athlete who can go box to box with ease and use his strength to hold the ball with one or even two players on him, something which we could have badly done with today against Liverpool.

De Bruyne has been superb this season and well on his way to becoming POTY if he keeps this up. I just didn't see the need to bring Pogba into the discussion.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I didn't say better but he's a different player. He is also an great athlete who can go box to box with ease and use his strength to hold the ball with one or even two players on him, something which we could have badly done with today against Liverpool.

De Bruyne has been superb this season and well on his way to becoming POTY if he keeps this up. I just didn't see the need to bring Pogba into the discussion.
Fair enough just the way I read it

moonunderthewater

Not much point bumping it every time he does something. Threads point was not against de bruynes quality, made it clear from outset. And even if he rattles in a hat trick today the point stands. As I've said repeatedly, if he does it long term I'll be the first to say it, but won't be giving the media any pats on the back given how often they do this
Yep. Most people agree on this.
I think City broke their transfer record and bought him on the back of his assists, and being Player of the Year in the Bundesliga. What's more annoying is Jose had him, didn't rate him and sold him on the cheap, so probably a bit of bad feeling there

SER19

Been brilliant so far this season, but to be branded world class, he'll need to be at the level he's at, at a more consistent basis to me. Not only in the Premier League, but in the Champions League too.
Careful now before anybody jumps down your throat. I've said my piece enough here and made clear how highly I rate de bruyne. If what he did for the previous two seasons combined with the six weeks of this one is enough for people to speak about him in such high regard then to me, my original point was proved.

Let me be clear, that if we had been 7 games into messis career and people were losing their minds in a similar way I'd have said the same. Yes, some players will end up meeting the hype, remains to be seen with de bruyne, my point was that we've seen it so so many times before it gets tiresome and for every one that is proven right we've had to listen to many of you wax lyrical about players who simply did not get close to the way they were spoken about. If creating this thread meant every time a player gets an assist it's seen as some proof of the contrary then the point is missed.

To me if the same Easy to please logic is being applied we should be discussing sterling as one of the worlds best wingers, Gabriel Jesus as one of the worlds best strikers and Phil jones as one of its best defenders. Including de bruyne these are all players in fantastic form.

We will be here again with a player in form and when he tails off all of the people shouting about how incredible this player is will be the first ones saying how over rated he is- when he doesn't meet the hype you created. My best lesson may be to accept that some fans are just more hysterical and reactionary and like to calls players "monsters" and "terrifying" as if they are maradona reincarnated. I'm of the school that would like the conversation at least after a few months of consistency when then we can discuss the terms being used.

prtk0811

I feel he is the engine to that City team and will be for many years to come. A phenomenal player and easily the best midfielder in the league, one of the best in the world.

Such a shame he was allowed to go to City so easily.
Barcelona or Madrid will buy him off.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The reason his form dropped last season was the injury. It was bad. Simple as.

Keenst

Careful now before anybody jumps down your throat. I've said my piece enough here and made clear how highly I rate de bruyne. If what he did for the previous two seasons combined with the six weeks of this one is enough for people to speak about him in such high regard then to me, my original point was proved.

Let me be clear, that if we had been 7 games into messis career and people were losing their minds in a similar way I'd have said the same. Yes, some players will end up meeting the hype, remains to be seen with de bruyne, my point was that we've seen it so so many times before it gets tiresome and for every one that is proven right we've had to listen to many of you wax lyrical about players who simply did not get close to the way they were spoken about. If creating this thread meant every time a player gets an assist it's seen as some proof of the contrary then the point is missed.

To me if the same Easy to please logic is being applied we should be discussing sterling as one of the worlds best wingers, Gabriel Jesus as one of the worlds best strikers and Phil jones as one of its best defenders. Including de bruyne these are all players in fantastic form.

We will be here again with a player in form and when he tails off all of the people shouting about how incredible this player is will be the first ones saying how over rated he is- when he doesn't meet the hype you created. My best lesson may be to accept that some fans are just more hysterical and reactionary and like to calls players "monsters" and "terrifying" as if they are maradona reincarnated. I'm of the school that would like the conversation at least after a few months of consistency when then we can discuss the terms being used.
You really are hoping to be proved right eventually when really you should just learn to appreciate his quality now. You say that Sterling or Jones should be getting the same adulation based on their performances so far but I think, for most people, De Bruyne is clearly a level above these and most other players in the league. He's a special talent and has been doing it longer than you are giving him credit for. He's improving season by season and really maturing as a player. Sterling, Jesus or Jones are in good form too, but they don't have the ability to influence games like De Bruyne does. That being said, I do think Pep deserves a lot of credit for giving him and the city squad as a whole the platform to perform like they are doing at the moment.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fantastic player. Chelsea should have done everything possible to keep him.

SER19

You really are hoping to be proved right eventually when really you should just learn to appreciate his quality now. You say that Sterling or Jones should be getting the same adulation based on their performances so far but I think, for most people, De Bruyne is clearly a level above these and most other players in the league. He's a special talent and has been doing it longer than you are giving him credit for. He's improving season by season and really maturing as a player. Sterling, Jesus or Jones are in good form too, but they don't have the ability to influence games like De Bruyne does. That being said, I do think Pep deserves a lot of credit for giving him and the city squad as a whole the platform to perform like they are doing at the moment.
I'm not hoping though, I know for a fact this will happen again and we'll be swallowing adulation for another Arron Ramsey. To de bruynes credit he has performed fantastically again since I made this thread, his assists yesterday were great, so that so far nullifies to an extent the effect of what I was getting at when I made the thread. I appreciate de bruyne absolutely for what he is, but I can guarantee I'll be appropriately bumping this when in a few months or at the start of next season we are being force fed notions of yet another player. If de bruyne emerges as one who maintains it then so be it, but as I said, if you do this thing so often you are bound to be correct about the occasional player. To me, regardless of what he does from here, the phrases being used just a few games into this season were symptomatic of the same problem that drives untrue narratives in football all the time. David de gea was a flop not cut out for this league after a couple of months, Romelu lukaku has no first touch, just a few months ago guardiola was not able to compete in the league and had been "found out", and here we are now and he's mentioned in the same breath as all time greats again.

My initial point is still absolutely correct. As are my very complimentary feelings to de bruyne.

Keenst

I'm not hoping though, I know for a fact this will happen again and we'll be swallowing adulation for another Arron Ramsey. To de bruynes credit he has performed fantastically again since I made this thread, his assists yesterday were great, so that so far nullifies to an extent the effect of what I was getting at when I made the thread. I appreciate de bruyne absolutely for what he is, but I can guarantee I'll be appropriately bumping this when in a few months or at the start of next season we are being force fed notions of yet another player. If de bruyne emerges as one who maintains it then so be it, but as I said, if you do this thing so often you are bound to be correct about the occasional player. To me, regardless of what he does from here, the phrases being used just a few games into this season were symptomatic of the same problem that drives untrue narratives in football all the time. David de gea was a flop not cut out for this league after a couple of months, Romelu lukaku has no first touch, just a few months ago guardiola was not able to compete in the league and had been "found out", and here we are now and he's mentioned in the same breath as all time greats again.

My initial point is still absolutely correct. As are my very complimentary feelings to de bruyne.
You have a point that certain players are overhyped. The problem is you chose the wrong player to illustrate the point. Players get undue praise and criticism all the time from certain media and fans, that will never change. De Bruyne deserves all the praise he's getting at the moment.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Better but not special defensively, he has betther physique than de Bruyne but his defensive shortcomings is mostly why we bought Matic. Dont forget that Pogba has played as an attacking midfielder too for us and Juventus and has never come near de Bruyne.

He is our supposed playmaker in the team as well, maybe lying a bit deeper than de Bruyne but there are certain similarities and also elements in which Pogba is lacking.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Everything he touches is turning to gold right now. I still think he's a tad overrated though but when everything is going right he can be effective.

Hasn't done it in enough big games in the past for City so just like what most people judge Lukaku on, I'll wait to see him doing it when the pressure's on instead of against a Stoke City team that totally gave up at 4-2 down
Man just said he hasn't done it enough in the big games, I'd argue he's the best big game player we've had since prime Yaya.
Quarter finals vs PSG (both legs), Barcelona in CL, United away, Arsenal home and away, Tottenham home, Chelsea away in his first season, Chelsea away this season, Liverpool home, Shakhtar in CL I can literally go on.

Even before that, at Wolfsburg he literally smashed Bayern on his own, and then Dortmund away.

SER19

You have a point that certain players are overhyped. The problem is you chose the wrong player to illustrate the point. Players get undue praise and criticism all the time from certain media and fans, that will never change. De Bruyne deserves all the praise he's getting at the moment.
This is where we differ a little and I'm not criticising yoir opinion. I think he deserves massive praise right now, he's playing so well. What I think happens is form like this leads to revisionism of his previous couple of years and I think saying a player is playing fantastic and praising the form is different to making a leap to "one of best in world" "complete player" and so on are two different things. If de bruyne was playing at this level for two years why were we not talking about him in the same way then? He simply wasn't, and as goood as us current level is its just hasn't been over a period long enough to warrant some of the terminology used about him now.

Some praise with context and no hyperbole is the correct balance, one which football fans are often unable to strike.

thepolice123

Teams need to start putting a man on him when they play City. Playing him deeper in midfield seems to have increased his potency multi-fold. He can pick passes from deeper positions, his crossing is ridiculous and he's real goal threat from outside the box. He's not an excellent dribbler but his movement to find space is top drawer.