De Bruyne Mania - Gabriel Jesus new latest example

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Back then Mourinho didn't seem to rate his potential much, decided he was surplus of requirement and just sell him "cheaply".
Getting rid of De Bruyne because you prefer Lampard (who's geriatric) and Oscar (who's the definition of average) was a bizarre decision even at the time.

Needham

Let's not get into a Pogba-De Bruyne debate, De Bruyne patently the better player.

Paul_Scholes18

Back then Mourinho didn't seem to rate his potential much, decided he was surplus of requirement and just sell him "cheaply".
I started to think Mourinho was past it those first 2 seasons at Chelsea. Sold De Bruyne. Didn't seem to want Lukaku and also sold Salah I think. All players I thought would do well in the long run. Got in Costa that although a good player might give them problem with his personality. He won the league though, but in my view he fecked Chelsea a bit long term.

I fear that happen to us from the start too although so far he has done much better here and given our younger player more time.

Teams need to start putting a man on him when they play City. Playing him deeper in midfield seems to have increased his potency multi-fold. He can pick passes from deeper positions, his crossing is ridiculous and he's real goal threat from outside the box. He's not an excellent dribbler but his movement to find space is top drawer.
Exactly. He's playing so deep he's out of the way of the opposing midfielders and free to pick his passes, which he is absolutely brilliant at doing. He also has runners all over the place to choose from. He can play into either channel and pretty much guarantee someone will be there. Its the one area we still really lack in.

Pogba is a different type of player. He will bring the ball forward better than KDB and do more on his own. Whether he can pass as well remains to be seen. He is certainly good at it but he still doesn't have the movement ahead of him to really put that to the test.

Needham

Pogba has done more both at club & international level, and is younger.

But do carry on.
Or you could say he's been in teams that have done more. Pogba's swell. But with de Bruyne we're talking about a player of at least the same level of god given skill who makes the right decision almost every time.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
Teams need to start putting a man on him when they play City. Playing him deeper in midfield seems to have increased his potency multi-fold. He can pick passes from deeper positions, his crossing is ridiculous and he's real goal threat from outside the box. He's not an excellent dribbler but his movement to find space is top drawer.
I think putting him deeper gives more liberty to go unmarked into space from where he can deliver a killer pass fairly easily. Quality of his assists yesterday are hard to top, he was just putting strikers in a position where they are alone 1vs1 against the keeper, arguably leaving their defense withought any chance or counter against it. Hope he can consistantly set up Lukaku like that for Belgium at the WC and then we will be golden.

Or you could say he's been in teams that have done more. Pogba's swell. But with de Bruyne we're talking about a player of at least the same level of god given skill who makes the right decision almost every time.
De Bruyne is class, but then so is Pogba. I think your comment was more than a little OTT, City are playing some cracking stuff right now and De Bruyne is revelling in it.
But looking at their careers, Pogba has proven way more so far, and he’s younger.

Treble

De Bruyne is class, but then so is Pogba. I think your comment was more than a little OTT, City are playing some cracking stuff right now and De Bruyne is revelling in it.
But looking at their careers, Pogba has proven way more so far, and he’s younger.
He hasn't. He played for a better team in Juve. This doesn't make him a more successful player. KDB made Wolfsburg compete with Bayern and even won a trophey against Bayern.

If given the choice between Pogba and KDB, most big teams would go with KDB, imo. Both players have excellent attributes but KDB's decision making is on a completely different level.

haram

I never rated Oscar, however I don't think there were many people in uproar when he sold De Bruyne when he did. Or maybe I'm just not remembering it right.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
They have first dibs on every German player, players who seem strangely reluctant to leave their own league and country.

Players run down their contracts to join them on the cheap, Lewandowski from their biggest rival and soon enough Leon Goretzka, probably countless other examples as well.
Kinda lucky we don't have a team like that in England really, a few might be able to buy them but it's rare they'll run contracts down. I say rare, seems to be happening at present with Ozil, Sanchez, Barkley etc but I think those 3 will end up at 3 different teams. Spurs, City and United.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
De Bruyne is one of the very best players in the world and has been for quite a few years now. He already was at Wolfsburg. People don't seem to realise how amazing he was for them. He was the one and only reason they were able to compete. Without him, they were nothing.
De Bruyne is one of those very rare players who do actually make everyone around them better. He's exceptional.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
De Bruyne is one of the very best players in the world and has been for quite a few years now. He already was at Wolfsburg. People don't seem to realise how amazing he was for them. He was the one and only reason they were able to compete. Without him, they were nothing.
De Bruyne is one of those very rare players who do actually make everyone around them better. He's exceptional.
He is indeed very good... I do wonder how he and city in general will cope with some of the better midfields in the cl when he may be required to do a bit more defensively but as a creative force in midfield I think he's as good as anybody else around at the moment... great eye for a pass and great execution ... he reminded me a bit of xavi yesterday with a couple of the passes - excellent understanding of players movement - space and how/ when they want to receive the ball.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He is indeed very good... I do wonder how he and city in general will cope with some of the better midfields in the cl when he may be required to do a bit more defensively but as a creative force in midfield I think he's as good as anybody else around at the moment... great eye for a pass and great execution ... he reminded me a bit of xavi yesterday with a couple of the passes - excellent understanding of players movement - space and how/ when they want to receive the ball.
The thing is, he's not afraid of putting in some work defensively. The way he got the ball ahead of the 6:2 was a great example for this. He's great against the ball. Just a complete player.

Keenst

This is where we differ a little and I'm not criticising yoir opinion. I think he deserves massive praise right now, he's playing so well. What I think happens is form like this leads to revisionism of his previous couple of years and I think saying a player is playing fantastic and praising the form is different to making a leap to "one of best in world" "complete player" and so on are two different things. If de bruyne was playing at this level for two years why were we not talking about him in the same way then? He simply wasn't, and as goood as us current level is its just hasn't been over a period long enough to warrant some of the terminology used about him now.

Some praise with context and no hyperbole is the correct balance, one which football fans are often unable to strike.
I'm not saying he's been playing at this incredibly high level throughout the last few years but he has been progressing steadily and many people believed he would reach this level eventually. There has been some hyperbole of course but I think most people just appreciate what a good player he is and are simply enjoying watching his performances so far this year.

SER19

Danny Murphy has declared Gabriel Jesus the best young player since Lionel messi. (An enjoyable side point is that this makes him a better young player than de bruyne ever was in mr Murphys eyes)

Time for a title change.

I know that this kind of thing has always happened but I would argue never at such ridiculously over the top levels. The criteria for a player to receive adulation once reserved for the very finest is at a record low.

SER19

So...It doesnt seem ridiculous that the coverage in recent years of a player like...
januzaj
Di Maria
Depay
Rashford
Martial
Lindgard
Pogba (2nd time around)

...was not OTT to you?
I'm not sure what you're asking me? If it's whether I think United players can be similarly overrated then yes absolutely, this is not a club specific discussion. Sorry if I've misunderstood your point

In fact I would argue that early rave reviews of di Maria here and januzaj are good examples of exactly what I'm talking about

Last edited:

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I'm not sure what you're asking me? If it's whether I think United players can be similarly overrated then yes absolutely, this is not a club specific discussion. Sorry if I've misunderstood your point

In fact I would argue that early rave reviews of di Maria here and januzaj are good examples of exactly what I'm talking about
Except they're not really good examples, are they? Sure, they're examples of the media hyping a player up only for hindsight to prove them wrong, but Di Maria was and remains a fantastic footballer, it just didn't work out for him at United in the way it didn't for Veron or Forlan. De Bruyne has been on the radar of the top European clubs for a very long time, ever since it became clear even in his earliest days at Chelsea that he had talent above that of most players in his age group. Since August 2014 he's played 155 games for club and country, scoring 42 goals and assisting 73 others. That means he's contributed to 115 goals in 155 games. He was voted Bundesliga player of the season in 2015, City's player of the season in 2016, and he's won two cups in that time, scoring in one of the finals. This isn't a purple patch, he's been a class player since that breakout season at Wolfsburg.

Januzaj, however, was a lifeboat player given absolutely zero responsibility by an average manager in a poor United team. His demise was inevitable for that reason. Young players who burst onto the scene need to be given a sense of responsibility so they remember that football is a team game. As soon as Van Gaal came in and attempted to make Januzaj play in a system he quickly dropped off because he'd never been told what to do beyond using abilities he'd had since birth. Jesus, on the other hand, has been specifically purchased to play in the system Pep wants to implement. He's not someone who's been given license to do whatever he likes on the pitch because of how naturally talented he is. Jesus' best natural instinct is his positioning in the box, that's why most of his goals are poacher tap-ins. But he's been asked to drop deep, lean off the shoulder of the last defender, and constantly transition between midfield and attack in order to improve the flow of the team. He's already been given more jobs by Pep than most strikers do in their entire careers. A better example in comparison to Januzaj is likely to be Iheanacho, another striker whose natural instinct is finding space in the box. Only the difference between Jesus and Iheanacho is that Iheanacho was sadly no good at any of the other jobs Pep asked him to do. He might go on to score 20-25 goals a season for Leicester, but given the way his career has started there he might end up becoming a journeyman striker who never quite lives up to the hype expected of him.

Paul_Scholes18

Will be interesting to see Belgium this summer. I do think they got the team to win the world cup this year. They could really be an outsider. De Bruyne will be the key man for them as he gives them something different than the pace and power they got in abundance.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
I never rated Oscar, however I don't think there were many people in uproar when he sold De Bruyne when he did. Or maybe I'm just not remembering it right.
Not to blow my own trumpet, but after his loan at Bremen, I saw much more potential in De Bruyne. Oscar never really impressed me apart from that one game against Juventus.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Danny Murphy has declared Gabriel Jesus the best young player since Lionel messi. (An enjoyable side point is that this makes him a better young player than de bruyne ever was in mr Murphys eyes)

Time for a title change.

I know that this kind of thing has always happened but I would argue never at such ridiculously over the top levels. The criteria for a player to receive adulation once reserved for the very finest is at a record low.
Whatever your intentions, the thread is seemingly just the result of you getting irked by people singing the praises of City's highly-performing players. First de Bruyne, now Jesus. I await the title change to 'Leroy Sane - latest example'.

haram

Not to blow my own trumpet, but after his loan at Bremen, I saw much more potential in De Bruyne. Oscar never really impressed me apart from that one game against Juventus.
That's fair enough, I meant the wider reception though.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The main difference between De Bruyne and players like Naigollan and Koke, is that he plays for City in the PL so he is massively overhyped.

There are many players in foreign leagues on the same level as De Bruyne, but the PL has an obsession with making themselves out as special so they create a false reality about their own players.

De Bruyne is the new kid on the block so most people have forgotten about Silva who is on a similar level as De Bruyne despite being past his prime. David Silva in his prime would wipe the floor with De Bruyne.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Time for a title change.

Utterly desperate attempt to save face and rescue an abomination of a thread.

Last edited:

Ainu

Will be interesting to see Belgium this summer. I do think they got the team to win the world cup this year. They could really be an outsider. De Bruyne will be the key man for them as he gives them something different than the pace and power they got in abundance.
De Bruyne hasn't played particularly well for our NT in years in my opinion. I'd even go as far as to say he has underperformed ever since being the standout man of our 2014 WC qualifying campaign. It actually annoys me a lot because he looks disinterested playing for his country most of the time, leading to half-arsed performances where he nonchalantly messes up even simple things. There's moments of class here and there but nothing consistently great in his performances.

We've got the players but not the team to do well in Russia. Don't expect too much from us. In fact, don't expect anything at all.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Bruyne is joined with Messi for the most League assists since 2012-13.

Treble

To say that G. Jesus is the best young player since Messi is quite premature because he has played too little games for City. But it is not daft because he's doing fantastically well for Brazil and City. Statistically, he's doing better than Neymar in his first 2 seasons at Barca. The sample is too small though. If he keeps this incredible miutes per PL goal ratio for the entire season, he will be very very highly rated. Right now he is scoring every 87 min in the league which is absolutely sensational.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Barcelona or Madrid will buy him off.
City seem to do well by not selling the players they don't want to. Always thought Aguero or Silva would go and they never did. Same with Kompany.

Member 90887

City seem to do well by not selling the players they don't want to. Always thought Aguero or Silva would go and they never did. Same with Kompany.
Well, nobody would have taken Kompany, he was always injured and no big team would touch him. Aguero from the begining said he won't leave city before the end of his carrer (going back to Argentina).

Silva i agree, never even been a rumour.

Treble

Well erm, let's not discount the fact that he himself was a huge reason they were a better team. And they were a damn site better with Pogba than they are now.

Internationally Pogba plays better than De Bruyne also.
He wasn't. They were class after he left, maybe even better. He was very good obviousy but huge reason for them being so good? No.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Well, nobody would have taken Kompany, he was always injured and no big team would touch him. Aguero from the begining said he won't leave city before the end of his carrer (going back to Argentina).

Silva i agree, never even been a rumour.
Kompany hasn't always been injury prone.