De Bruyne Vs Kaka

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Now that KDB has a Champions League medal, I thought this comparison would be more apt.

Who was the better player at their peak? Who has had the better career? Who had better physical and technical qualities?

Maybe a mod could add a poll.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
De Bruyne for longevity.
Kaka (2006/2007) for absolute peak.

elisha27

Kaka had an elegance and gracefulness that few players in history have matched. Now and again I'll go back and watch a highlight reel of Kaka, but I've never once felt the same inclination towards De Bruyne.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Kaka's peak was higher but only lasted for a few seasons while KDB's been great for 7-8 seasons now.

mu4c_20le

It's weird because KDB is brilliant but he's never impressed me the way Kaka did.

PSV

I think it's only fair De Bruyne has that asterisk Scholes had behind his name as CL winner until he actually contributes in a final.

Walter Sobchak

Talent/Peak versus longevity is always going to be an issue in any kind of comparison.

For me, Kaka was the better footballer and much better to watch, absolutely effortless. KDB is obviously a top top top player but a level or two below Kaka on the ability scale for me.

SAFMUTD

Overall KDB, but Kaka's peak was something else. He destroyed teams with Milan, he was the last ballon d'or before the Messi/Cristiano era.

lawliet354

Of course it's Kaka, if you talk longevity then sure De Bruyne edges it. But Kaka's peak is few levels above, he's on Ronaldo/Messi level, constantly winning Milan UCL games on his own.

El Jefe

Kaka pretty easily has the better peak but KDB also has or will have the better career quite clearly.

It's a shame Kaka's knees gave up at Madrid because the Milan version was a devastating player. We've come up against KDB many times but the fear our team had up against Kaka is something very few players have ever given us.

KanieKaned

Peak Kaka was a joyous sight to behold. Sadly it was only about 2-3 years. KDB has been quite consistent in what he does for a number of years. Kaka has some of the passing weight and vision of KBD versus KDB having ''some'' of the moments of brilliance of Kaka. Somewhat tough call IMO on where you stand but I am leaning more towards Kaka based off winning a CL, a Ballon D'or and a World Cup. Exceptional player. Slightly noncey.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
De Bruyne easy. Kaka always had relatively modest end product
He was averaging like 30 goals/assists per season for 5 years
2003-04 14g / 6a - 20
2004-05 9g / 19a - 28
2005-06 19g/ 11a - 30
2006-07 18g/ 11a - 29
2007-08 19g/15a - 34
2008-09 16g/12a - 28

KDB's been putting in even better numbers for almost 9 years now

Eddy_JukeZ

Kaka is the better player. Injuries ruined him at Real, but even his 1st season at Real, he was still world class. It was after the WC in 2010 that he started to decline at a rapid rate.

He was a 1 man counter attacking force at his very best. His ball carrying with his explosiveness was frightening. He's one of the best ball carriers ever as a traditional #10. He was also a very good creative passer. His turn on Gerrard and subsequent pass to Crespo in the 2005 UCL Final is art.

Eddy_JukeZ

Of course it's Kaka, if you talk longevity then sure De Bruyne edges it. But Kaka's peak is few levels above, he's on Ronaldo/Messi level, constantly winning Milan UCL games on his own.
I think you could argue Kaka is level above De Bruyne, but no Kaka isn't on Messi's/Ronaldo's level. He's easily below that as well.

His 2006-2007 UCL Campaign is a highlight of his career, and Ronaldo/Messi alone have 4-5 campaigns that better that.

His performance against us in the semi-finals that season was truly exceptional though and I don't think De Bruyne has that in his locker.

MiceOnMeth

Kaka had an elegance and gracefulness that few players in history have matched. Now and again I'll go back and watch a highlight reel of Kaka, but I've never once felt the same inclination towards De Bruyne.
I don't think I watch highlight reels of any modern players, they just don't have the magic of past stars

Pintu

Kakà won a ballon d’Or and a few trophies with Brazil. Plus he actually contributed in both of his CL finals: the one they lost freakishly (to Slippy G’s simulation, Dudek miracles..) and the one they won 2 years later… I think he is still ahead.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s kind of wild how little Kaka won with AC Milan.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
His 2006-2007 UCL Campaign is a highlight of his career, and Ronaldo/Messi alone have 4-5 campaigns that better that.
Rubbish, he scored 10 goals+ 4 assists as an attacking midfielder for an aging squad which he literally carried mostly by himself scoring spectacular goals after goals. I advise anyone to go check out on his highlights on yt just how insane he was that season.

Revan

Assumptionman
Kaka’s peak was insane. Not Messi/CR7 level, but probably near Ronaldinho’s level (a bit below that). De Bruyne has the longevity factor, which of course matters.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Luckily for City fan they got to see both don the Sky Blue shirt. Oh wait, no he didn't.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
De Bruyne. Not particularly close either. Kaka is fantastically overrated on here for sending united out in a semi-final. World class player but he scraped that Balon D'or.

youngrell

It's a difficult one to chose because of KDB's efficiency over a long period makes it difficult to not pick him overall, but for a one off game I'd be choosing Kaka every time.

TsuWave

Kaka was at one point undoubtedly the best player in the world. I never felt that way about De Bruyne

TheLord