g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
You should get your eyes checked.
If Madrid can recover from this year and show they are still are force in Europe and Spain you don’t think the Spanish no1 goalkeeper will be interested in joining them if they haven’t got an already top class GK?!? Ok mate you believe that. :houllier:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Where has he said it's not the time to talk about a contract?

Some of the gutter tabloids are saying he wants to stay long term. Others just saying he's to be offered a new contract. Can't see anything else anywhere.

Andersons Dietician

He must be the highest paid goalkeeper in the world already is he not? Do wonder if Alexis comes in on 450-500k as being reported how much would DeGea be worth. 300k seems a lot for a keeper but it’s the world we live in and we a fortunate enough to be in a position where we can offer more wages than anyone so give him what he wants as he is that good but surely at some point these wages will have a drawback.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Maybe he just meant that that interview wasn't the place he wanted to talk about his contract?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Most Caf thing ever to start the day convinced that Sanchez is on the verge of signing, to ending it accepting the DDG is as good as gone :lol:

juggernaut1986

I meant in terms of United/Real cycles. Ruud played here for 5 years and won the league once, while Real won the champions league. He leaves us in 2006, joins an ageing Real team who got buttfecked by Liverpool. All the while United start winning leagues for fun and reaching CL finals like it's nothing.
Ruud won the La Liga twice with Real Madrid, the same as Ronaldo. We obviously were far better team at that point but Ruud had a decent career after leaving us.

Inter Yer Nan

Nothing there. Doubt Jose would so publicly and clearly say what our intentions are with regards to his future if Dave has told him he's itching for the exit door. Ship has sailed on him leaving and especially in this market where the only clubs crazy enough to spend 100m or more on a keeper (which is what he'd be) are English and he wouldn't leave United for another English club.

De Gea just giving the standard answer. It's rare a player says "Yeah, I'm thinking about it but have another offer so if I don't get a wage increase I'm off". He just wants to talk and focus on Football. Contract will probably be done over the summer.

R'hllor

Think DDG and his saga to RM is one of most boring things in football.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ruud won the La Liga twice with Real Madrid, the same as Ronaldo. We obviously were far better team at that point but Ruud had a decent career after leaving us.
Weren't Barca in a bit of a rut then? 05 and 06 they stormed the league, but until Pep came in and turned it around they were wheel spinning a bit under Rijkaard iirc.

Inter Yer Nan

Weren't Barca in a bit of a rut then? 05 and 06 they stormed the league, but until Pep came in and turned it around they were wheel spinning a bit under Rijkaard iirc.
According to Fergie in the last book he published he said as early as 2002 Ruud was sort of itching for Real Madrid and wanted a clause in his contract that he could sign for them for x amount.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
While Zidane is coaching Madrid , I dont think he will get rid of Navas....but if they sack Zidane at the end of the season prepare for Florentinos attack.

Jaybomb

He ain’t leaving. It’s been about 3 seasons since the fax machine saga. He would have left by now.

The media are obsessed with this story. It’s garbage.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That quote is obviously out of context. If you listen to interview he says he concentrating on the team and the season atm.

And why would he talk to Sky about his contract renewal?
I’m sure we and his agent are working behind the scenes.
Besides, he seems very settled now so why not use that quote as a thread tittle?

Last edited:

Handré1990

Why must everything be put such a negative spin on? He knows the club Ia desperate to keep him, he can wait until summer to negotiate what will probably be the best contract for a keeper, ever.

Is it now a bad thing to focus on the actual job he’s doing? First things first, is how I understood it

T_Model101

Fairly sure the context for this is that his mind is on preparing for the Champions League knock out stage and the big matches in the tail end of the season.
He's a professional and I'd expect nothing less from him

Utd7

He will spend the rest of his career with us and then become our global ambassador. De Gea is going nowhere.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If he goes, just get a good keeper in asap to replace him, and get a new top level CB.

Don't wanna see him leave, but I'm not as bothered as some seem to be.

So long as we replace him with a good keeper who hits the ground running.

Seven Seas Sardines

We still have 2,5 years to sign him up, considering our 1-year-option tying him down until July 2020. Hoping he signs a lifetime contract in the Summer though! Worst case scenario and he wants to leave, we shouldn't entertain anything less than £100m. Then get Oblak in for £50m.

SirAF

Ageist
Why must everything be put such a negative spin on? He knows the club Ia desperate to keep him, he can wait until summer to negotiate what will probably be the best contract for a keeper, ever.

Is it now a bad thing to focus on the actual job he’s doing? First things first, is how I understood it
This. It’s a nothing quote.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
"Just being part of this club is special in itself," he said. "Being a player and a part of this club is special, so when you get to wear the shirt, you go to away games, that's something you are always proud of and is very special.

"Being part of such a great club like Manchester United fills you with emotion and you gradually realise how much the club means to the fans and the people who work here. They really live for the game, so that does become part of you and you can only appreciate that having spent time here."

That was also part of the interview, seems he's loving his time here having been part of the last successful SAF team to Moyes to LvG and now to Mourinho, he's been part of the whole revamp, hope he stays to get the trophies he deserves!

InfiniteBoredom

Just a thought, may be he doesn't want to get bogged down in contract negotiation mid season with the WC coming up, his first as Nr.1 for the NT?

He has more than 2 years left on the current contract, knows that he's valued by the club and fans and can demand whatever he wants. Why rush?

J_Red 11

What he meant is concentrate for the team first, world cup is upcoming as well, be professional & not be greedy, no rush.

With the way how Real Madrid has been performing this season, I don't see why he thinks that he can win trophy over Barcelona that has been superb this season. Real also needs a lot of money to sign him, and I doubt they want invest huge money on a keeper when they still need to find Ramos, Benzema & Ronaldo replacement as they are already in their 30s.

We did the right thing though to start offering him a new contract.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Not too bothered if he does leave. We can always bring in someone who's almost as good. And we're not very often reliant on super performances from the GK these days. If he doesn't really wanna stay, I wouldn't force him to.

AR87

"Just being part of this club is special in itself," he said. "Being a player and a part of this club is special, so when you get to wear the shirt, you go to away games, that's something you are always proud of and is very special.

"Being part of such a great club like Manchester United fills you with emotion and you gradually realise how much the club means to the fans and the people who work here. They really live for the game, so that does become part of you and you can only appreciate that having spent time here."

That was also part of the interview, seems he's loving his time here having been part of the last successful SAF team to Moyes to LvG and now to Mourinho, he's been part of the whole revamp, hope he stays to get the trophies he deserves!
Jones and Smalling too. Would be pretty cool for those 3 to be here and win a league under Mourinho after having slogged through some really miserable seasons under Moyes and LvG.

Klopp_De_Klown

If Madrid can recover from this year and show they are still are force in Europe and Spain you don’t think the Spanish no1 goalkeeper will be interested in joining them if they haven’t got an already top class GK?!? Ok mate you believe that. :houllier:
Ahhhhh Ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

How you like to read into a story is funny.

Tell ya one thing, if it was me or 99% of the people on this site and a club shafted me, where it would not send a fax through because at the last minute they changed their mind and decided to keep the keeper they had! I'd never do business with that club again. How could you, you couldn't take them at their word! You never forget that stuff, I'm guessing, like me, most people have had experience of office/job politics where someone has done something in work. to screw ya over or do you a bad turn. You never forgive them, you put up with them and move on. But that's it!

You may also forget, but last summer. Jose said "David stays, I think he is happy! Now I go for holidays". Someone put up a tweet, "why would he go to Real after they what they did in 2015 to him" and DDG liked it and the guy screenshot it before DDG's agent clearly made him take it down. Well, you don't just throw away bargaining power!

Even when Real said over and over they would not be bidding on DDG last summer. The media keep the whole thing simmering along all summer and that was with all parties saying it was never going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, he may one day move on. But I put huge money on it not being to Real!

Status
Not open for further replies.