De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

minh_loc_xoay

It's weird because at some point last year and with LVG, I thought his distribution was more than good but it regressed somehow. It could also be related to the team being chaotic on the field and making it not easy to find a team mate but still...
Or because De Gea is past it? He has peaked early and is now on a steep decline. Kind of like Rooney's last years.

That's why I mentioned that I fear another Rooney situation: Us handling out huge contracts to past-it players based on their former glories and not on how they are right now. When we realize this in the future, De Gea would have been impossible to move out because no other teams on the planet would pay him that wage (Sanchez-esque).

meamth

The arguments about saving penalties is laughable at best.

The advantage is on the striker of the ball, if he hits them to perfection, GKs have no chance to save it even if you're an out of this world goalkeeper. Pure BS.

Unless you're as big as tim krul, penalties is always a free goal.

Fox outside the box

Or because De Gea is past it? He has peaked early and is now on a steep decline. Kind of like Rooney's last years.

That's why I mentioned that I fear another Rooney situation: Us handling out huge contracts to past-it players based on their former glories and not on how they are right now. When we realize this in the future, De Gea would have been impossible to move out because no other teams on the planet would pay him that wage (Sanchez-esque).
Pretty much disagree with everything about this and in all honesty, think it's pretty ridiculous.

He's 28, has years at the top level left, has consistently been one of the best in the world despite us being far from it. Where you even begin to start likening his situation to that of Rooney and the Sanchez, I have no idea.

Rooney became our record goal scorer and Sanchez, who has struggled for over 18 months and both are older, attacking players. I could go on about how the 3 situations are ridiculous to compare but I can't even be bothered.

Stunned how fickle so many of our fans are. 28 year old keeper, player of the year several years in a row, consistently one of the top few in his position for years, has a bad patch of form in a year where we were basically on our knees for a majority of it?

This last few years has shown what a sorry bunch we have within our fan base but the last few months are new lows. Embarrassing.

lysglimt

Scout
http://www.sportbible.com/football/...ce-david-de-gea-as-spains-number-one-20190511

Well this is what happens when a group of unbiased people are asked, 92% is pretty conclusive.
Oh for christs sake - this was a poll made after he had his worst 3 months of his career. Noone is doubting that De Gea was awful in the last 3 months or so of last season, not to mention that de Gea has never been equally good at Spain as he has been at United. But what has Kepa done this season that is anywhere near what de Gea did at his best ?

So yes - if you judge them on the last 3 months - Kepa is better. But get de Gea back to his usual self - and I would take him any day over Kepa

Eric's Seagull

Oh for christs sake - this was a poll made after he had his worst 3 months of his career. Noone is doubting that De Gea was awful in the last 3 months or so of last season, not to mention that de Gea has never been equally good at Spain as he has been at United. But what has Kepa done this season that is anywhere near what de Gea did at his best ?

So yes - if you judge them on the last 3 months - Kepa is better. But get de Gea back to his usual self - and I would take him any day over Kepa
As would I on his day I still believe Dave id the best in the world :devil:

Eric's Seagull

I respect your opinion 100% but I disagree with it. You could be right but I don't think so. Due to him being 28 he should be approaching his prime which should last for the next 5 years at least. I think that last season was a blip, he mind didn't seem to be fully on the game, I think he was distracted by the contract situation. He seemed to make to make uncharacteristic errors which didn't seem like a decline. Once he gets his contract situation sorted we will see him go back to being the De Gea of the last few years.

Mcking

The arguments about saving penalties is laughable at best.

The advantage is on the striker of the ball, if he hits them to perfection, GKs have no chance to save it even if you're an out of this world goalkeeper. Pure BS.

Unless you're as big as tim krul, penalties is always a free goal.
And if the strikers doesn't hit them to perfection? De gea has been terrible at penalties with us. He hardly even goes the right way even against poorly hit pens. He is just terrible at reading them and just basically dives to his right side every single time.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Im sure the Spanish public are as capable as anyone of considering the fact that form is temporary and class is permanent.
Yet, they still don't rate De Gea as highly as Utd fans do.
Mainly because he's been terrible form them since he became their number one.
Surely even De Gea's most loyal of fans would can accept that there is a bit of blind loyalty at play when it comes to most Utd fans opinion of De Gea (as it does with most fans of most teams).
The fact is, outside of Utd fans, De Gea is considered anywhere near the best keeper in the world anymore.
In fact, if Kepa is as bad as you are implying then surely that emphasises this point.
If De Gea only managed to get 8% of the vote against what many consider to be a pretty average keeper then how many votes would he have got if a few other keepers were in the poll? none probably, or maybe a small percentage if there happened to be a few Utd fans on holiday in Spain at the time.

Eric's Seagull

Is this kind of attitude that leads to us throwing silly money at bang average players.
Your entitled to your opinion. Are you implying my that my attitude is wrong to by giving my opinion that I think on his day Dave is the best in the world or is it something else. I'm not sure what you mean by that comment can you explain please?

Judas

Open to offers
I think De Gea pulls off saves no other keeper in the world is capable of, but I don't think his overall game is good enough to be considered the best in the world anymore.

If he sticks around, I hope his distribution can go back to how it once was, it used to be a much bigger strength than it has been recently.

predator

Youth NITK
Last season was poor by his standards. He made a few mistakes, a few more than he usually makes.
I still remember him being our best player for the last 3 or 4 out of 5 years.

I still haven't forgot the numerous times he pulled us out of the shit. I still haven't forgot the times when even rivals admitted that we had the best gk in the world by a country mile.

Its disgraceful to see United 'fans' praise him when he saves us from a pasting turn so quickly to lambast him for making the odd mistake.

predator

Youth NITK
Is this kind of attitude that leads to us throwing silly money at bang average players.
This post pretty much sums it all up. Theres no support for the players unless they are making Team of the year. If they've had one bad season out of 10 they may as well be dead.

If you support the team through the good times then you should support them through the bad times (especially De Gea, who has literally saved our ass so many times over the past 5 years).

Embarrassing.

Eric's Seagull

This post pretty much sums it all up. Theres no support for the players unless they are making Team of the year. If they've had one bad season out of 10 they may as well be dead.

If you support the team through the good times then you should support them through the bad times (especially De Gea, who has literally saved our ass so many times over the past 5 years).

Embarrassing.
Well said. I think some people forget the amount of times he bailed us out these last few years an he deserves a bit of loyalty for that mate. If it wasn't for his heroics we would would be in a lot worse sh!t than we are in now.

AgentP

Well said. I think some people forget the amount of times he bailed us out these last few years an he deserves a bit of loyalty for that mate. If it wasn't for his heroics we would would be in a lot worse sh!t than we are in now.
I think the anger towards him is more because of him wanting to leave rather than his poor performances recently. As soon as he signs a new contract, I think everyone will get behind him again.

Oldyella

Yea that's what I thought, in my opinion it was nothing to do with ability. I think he was making errors that showed a lapse in concentration, that's all. Things certainly seem more positive about a new contract so I think once that's done he will be back to his best for us.
Is anyone else incredibly frustrated with this? His form went to shit and was a massive factor in us not claiming top 4 because he was unsure whether to sign a contract which would make him the highest paid keeper in the world or thereabouts. Other players get heaps for perceived lack of commitment...

Then there is the second option and it wasn't a factor, which is even more worrying and just means his form has declined naturally as he gets older, in which case do we really want him to even sign the offer.

Eric's Seagull

I think the anger towards him is more because of him wanting to leave rather than his poor performances recently. As soon as he signs a new contract, I think everyone will get behind him again.

That is understandable although some may not realise that at the end his career he would want to win big trophies which he may feel that he won't do here but is something I really hope his does here . I totally agree with your part on bold mate.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is anyone else incredibly frustrated with this? His form went to shit and was a massive factor in us not claiming top 4 because he was unsure whether to sign a contract which would make him the highest paid keeper in the world or thereabouts. Other players get heaps for perceived lack of commitment...

Then there is the second option and it wasn't a factor, which is even more worrying and just means his form has declined naturally as he gets older, in which case do we really want him to even sign the offer.
You're incredibly frustrated by an opinion that our keeper, player of the season 4 times out the last 5 or whatever it is, best in the world for multiple seasons in many people's opinion, may actually sign a new contract and get back to his best for us?

Wow, his form went crap. Again, he has unbelievable for us in the very recent past. So no player, ever, anywhere, is allowed a dip in form anymore? And as for being a massive factor in us not getting top 4, I wouldn't go that far. Yes he was poor, but goodness me there was a million reasons we didn't get top 4 this year. Again, naturally declined as he got older? Fecking hell, he's 28 and had a poor season, so I repeat, no player anywhere is allowed a dip in form? Messi and Ronaldo seem to have risen the bar so much that other excellent players are suddenly crap cause they lose a bit of form.

You can talk about being frustrated by my opinion, fine. I am equally as frustrated by yours, a total black or white scenario that he either he is absolutely crap now and we should get rid of him or because he is taking time over a new contract and had a dip in form over the season we should also get shot of him. Let's just bin the entire bloody squad while we are at it then.

MisterLupus

Best and most consistent player we have by far. Yeah he made some important blunders towards the end that ended up costing us a lot - but to flame someone with his track record and proven loyalty for not being able to carry a team every single game - only like 75% of them...

There's a word for that I'm not sure it's permitted though so I'll just leave it blank.

Eric's Seagull

Best and most consistent player we have by far. Yeah he made some important blunders towards the end that ended up costing us a lot - but to flame someone with his track record and proven loyalty for not being able to carry a team every single game - only like 75% of them...

There's a word for that I'm not sure it's permitted though so I'll just leave it blank.
Good post. I for one am very grateful the immense contribution De Gea had made to the club since he has been here and the amount of times he has saved us. I'm willing to forget the blip of last season and next season am expecting him to get back to his his best when the contract situation is sorted out and he is focused and not distracted by a potential transfer speculation.

Eric's Seagull

I am not frustrated I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt for the blip he had last season, due to the immense displays he has made for the club and how many time times he has saved us. Without him we would be in even worse sh1t than where we are at the moment.

I fully respect your in bold but although I disagree with it, I think he made uncharacteristic errors last season as his mind wasn't on it. I don't think he is in decline, age wise he is in his prime and should be for at least the next 5 years, of which I hope we keep him for.

Last edited:

Nick7

To be fair to him, he was still pulling off some great saves while going through his poor form. He single handedly saved the win against West Ham I believe with his saves.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There are some ungrateful people in here. DDG had saved our arse for years making our ridiculous defence look decent. Once he hit a dip in form our defence got exposed and we are set to spend 80m on Maguire on top of the 50m spent on AWB

If DDG can return to his former best then he is worth every penny of salary we give him. No ifs no buts

Oldyella

You're incredibly frustrated by an opinion that our keeper, player of the season 4 times out the last 5 or whatever it is, best in the world for multiple seasons in many people's opinion, may actually sign a new contract and get back to his best for us?

Wow, his form went crap. Again, he has unbelievable for us in the very recent past. So no player, ever, anywhere, is allowed a dip in form anymore? And as for being a massive factor in us not getting top 4, I wouldn't go that far. Yes he was poor, but goodness me there was a million reasons we didn't get top 4 this year. Again, naturally declined as he got older? Fecking hell, he's 28 and had a poor season, so I repeat, no player anywhere is allowed a dip in form? Messi and Ronaldo seem to have risen the bar so much that other excellent players are suddenly crap cause they lose a bit of form.

You can talk about being frustrated by my opinion, fine. I am equally as frustrated by yours, a total black or white scenario that he either he is absolutely crap now and we should get rid of him or because he is taking time over a new contract and had a dip in form over the season we should also get shot of him. Let's just bin the entire bloody squad while we are at it then.
People have been pretty close to saying we should bin the squad for a while now (hyperbole obviously). De Gea has been one of the exceptions due to his performances over the last few years and the credit he has in the bank.

Whether rightly or wrongly, we expect more from him, much the same as Pogba as we know they are capable of more than a Young or Lingard. The fact people think he wasnt playing well because he was deciding whether to become the best paid goalkeeper in the world does annoy me.

Was that the reason for his form? Who knows, we will soon find out though.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People have been pretty close to saying we should bin the squad for a while now (hyperbole obviously). De Gea has been one of the exceptions due to his performances over the last few years and the credit he has in the bank.

Whether rightly or wrongly, we expect more from him, much the same as Pogba as we know they are capable of more than a Young or Lingard. The fact people think he wasnt playing well because he was deciding whether to become the best paid goalkeeper in the world does annoy me.

Yeah I have seen a lot of comments like that, and I assumed (maybe naively) that it was hyperbole and a lot of people were posting things like that emotionally. I agree he has a lot of credit in the back in my opinion.

Yes we do expect more because of how good he is you are right, I just think that it was poor form and people seem to have been very quick to jump on him when I think he deserved to be cut a wee bit of slack. It wasn't so much the amount of money he was earning for me, I think he was maybe weighing up whether or not the club was going to improve over the next few seasons when he may be approaching his real peak years and his last really important contract.

Definitely, and while I can understand people worrying about the future, I honestly believe once this is resolved we will see him back at his monstrous best.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
The fact people think he wasnt playing well because he was deciding whether to become the best paid goalkeeper in the world does annoy me.

To be fair, we do have history with this. Last time his future was unsure, Van Gaal took him out of the team, believing his head wasn't in the right place.

Van Gaal got many things wrong, but maybe he had De Gea pegged?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There are some ungrateful people in here. DDG had saved our arse for years making our ridiculous defence look decent. Once he hit a dip in form our defence got exposed and we are set to spend 80m on Maguire on top of the 50m spent on AWB

If DDG can return to his former best then he is worth every penny of salary we give him. No ifs no buts
Bingo. Also most of it is coming from newbies. It needs reintroduced asap.

Paxi

Also we've seen from young De Gea that he's capable of turning it around, given time. I've absolutely no doubt in my mind that this 'blip' will end. As a great man used to say: Nae doubt about it. I mean most teams in Europe would still take his performances last season. It's the fact that we hold him to an unbelievable standard.

BiggusCrickus

DDG has saved more points for utd over the years then lost utd points. Get the contract sorted

Paxi

If he signs a new deal, I'm sure he'll become our most capped goalkeeper. He's 177 behind Stepney, who is on 539. I would be some achievement.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Your entitled to your opinion. Are you implying my that my attitude is wrong to by giving my opinion that I think on his day Dave is the best in the world or is it something else. I'm not sure what you mean by that comment can you explain please?
It's pretty self explanatory but OK.
My point is that outside of Utd fans, no other group of football followers think De Gea is anywhere near the best in the world right now, so making him the highest paid keeper in the world on £350,000 a week, it could be be argued, is overpaying him.
I get that there is a certain amount of blind loyalty at play when it comes to any football fan but with Utd, because we are such a massive club, when we overhype our players, this hype is multiplied even more when compared to other clubs.

That is, in my opinion, a factor in how we end up paying ridiculous wages to players.

Jacob

I hope we fail to reach an agreement. I'm quite fed up with DDG to be honest, he isn't as irreplaceable as you make i him out to be anymore. I can't see any takers though, that's the problem.

Eric's Seagull

It's pretty self explanatory but OK.
My point is that outside of Utd fans, no other group of football followers think De Gea is anywhere near the best in the world right now, so making him the highest paid keeper in the world on £350,000 a week, it could be be argued, is overpaying him.
I get that there is a certain amount of blind loyalty at play when it comes to any football fan but with Utd, because we are such a massive club, when we overhype our players, this hype is multiplied even more when compared to other clubs.

That is, in my opinion, a factor in how we end up paying ridiculous wages to players.
I'm not bothered what fans outside of the UK think. I fully respect their opinion but don't care a shit about it. On last season's form he wasn't the best keeper in the world in my opinion.

But I think last season was a blip as his wasn't completely focused and made uncharacteristic errors due to potential new contract situation but I think when he signs this new contract I fully expect to see him putting in the same level of performances which we have been accustomed to seeing him produce, which in my opinion have shown him to be the best goalkeeper in the world.

If he gets back to that level, which I fully expect him to then I think he is definitely worth £350,000 per week for the amount of times he has saved us over the years. You are fully entitled to your opinion on him which I 100% respect but totally disagree with.

Mark1361

I hope we fail to reach an agreement. I'm quite fed up with DDG to be honest, he isn't as irreplaceable as you make i him out to be anymore. I can't see any takers though, that's the problem.
If we fail to reach agreement means he a player with ambitions. Since SAF left we gone backwards.

David Gea want to wins things, At the moment you got more chance of been hit by ligntning in the uk with odds of ( 1 in 1, 0000000) then Man Utd been able to even compete for the EPL never mind about winning it.

I just hope it not going to be 26 years wait until we win it again. like before

Status
Not open for further replies.