De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

matsdf

He's not even considered the best keeper in Spain (behind a fairly average keeper in Kepa) yet you think he's the best in the world and therefore worth £350,000 a week, OK.
Of course he's not considered the best keeper in Spain, they know feck all. De Gea was benched by Casillas long after there was any doubt who was the better keeper.

MUFC OK

I'd consider getting that checked then, he saved two vs Sunderland in the shootout in 2014, Grant was in goal for the shootout vs Derby.

But who cares about facts.
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Did you know that your second ever Ederson related post on here was posted in April 19 2019? Even then it was a footnote about spending.
http://www.redcafe.net/threads/kalidou-koulibaly-part-deux.444225/page-20#post-23993323
Watch much of him to arrive to your conclusions have we?
Not sure why me only mentioning him twice up until April 19th has any bearing on my evaluation of the player.

I've actually watched him numerous times and he is a well rounded keeper. He commands his area well, is very brave, has excellent distribution and sweeping abilities. Good shot stopper too..

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Wasn't he great with his distribution in his early career with us? Around like 2012-2013-2014 or something? I swear I remember his long passes were pinpoint some time.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Of course he's not considered the best keeper in Spain, they know feck all. De Gea was benched by Casillas long after there was any doubt who was the better keeper.
I think the back to back European championships and world cup win with Casillas in goal might suggest they know a little bit.

DoomSlayer

I think the back to back European championships and world cup win with Casillas in goal might suggest they know a little bit.
Not to mention Casillas was captain of both Real Madrid and the national team, whilst both squads were full of huge important personalities.

dove

Wasn't he great with his distribution in his early career with us? Around like 2012-2013-2014 or something? I swear I remember his long passes were pinpoint some time.
I think he has quite decent distribution but the way we shape up, he always needs to kick it long and if you don't have an obvious target like Fellaini, success rate will be low. The few times he tried to pass short our players couldn't control the ball which cost us goals...

padzilla

Hipster
This might be an unpopular opinion but is now the time to replace him? He has started to show a deterioration in the second half of last season. If we turn around and give him a lengthy lucrative contract we could have a serious problem in a year or two, especially if the deterioration continues. The time to replace players is as they showing signs they have already peaked, not when their form is so bad that it is costing the team a lot on the pitch. I am aware of how good he has been for us but remember how Fergie would get rid of great servants and replace them when they arguably could have had another few good years for us?

minh_loc_xoay

This might be an unpopular opinion but is now the time to replace him? He has started to show a deterioration in the second half of last season. If we turn around and give him a lengthy lucrative contract we could have a serious problem in a year or two, especially if the deterioration continues. The time to replace players is as they showing signs they have already peaked, not when their form is so bad that it is costing the team a lot on the pitch. I am aware of how good he has been for us but remember how Fergie would get rid of great servants and replace them when they arguably could have had another few good years for us?
Yes. I share your idea, but people on here mostly are hell-bent on the idea that he "might" regain his best form after he got his new improved contract.
In reality, the thing we fear is another Rooney situation.

captain666

We have tabled the largest goalkeeping contract ever (i guess) and he hasn't signed yet?
Withdraw the offer and sell him,we need people with a little more commitment!

Bestietom

ole is confident that he will sign the new contract. Now we should move on to getting good cover in front of him A CB and a DM.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really hope that you are right on that one. This would make me very happy as long as he doesn't let his blip from last season effect him.
I don't think he will. I think he has genuinely had form affected due to his uncertainty over the contract and what to do this summer. Once he signs a new deal and has a clear head, I would be amazed if he didn't return his form to his absolute peak.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Really hope that you are right on that one. This would make me very happy as long as he doesn't let his blip from last season effect him.
Don't you think it's a pretty big gamble to take considering just how bad he was last season.
To me, the fact that his contract is coming to an end should put us in the driving seat.
Why not wait and see if he recovers from this downturn? If he does, great, offer him the new contract, if he doesn't, then, he's leaving anyway so we can move him on.
I just don't get the panic in throwing silly money at a player who was so bad last year that he was a massive factor in us missing out on the top 4 (and therefore literally costing us millions of pounds).

Shouldn't he be the one trying to prove himself to us and earn the new contract after last year rather than us desperately throwing more money at him to stay?

Eric's Seagull

I don't think he will. I think he has genuinely had form affected due to his uncertainty over the contract and what to do this summer. Once he signs a new deal and has a clear head, I would be amazed if he didn't return his form to his absolute peak.
Agree with it all. It seemed as if he was making uncharacteristic errors as his head was elsewhere.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Agree with it all. It seemed as if he was making uncharacteristic errors as his head was elsewhere.
Yea that's what I thought, in my opinion it was nothing to do with ability. I think he was making errors that showed a lapse in concentration, that's all. Things certainly seem more positive about a new contract so I think once that's done he will be back to his best for us.

Eric's Seagull

Don't you think it's a pretty big gamble to take considering just how bad he was last season.
To me, the fact that his contract is coming to an end should put us in the driving seat.
Why not wait and see if he recovers from this downturn? If he does, great, offer him the new contract, if he doesn't, then, he's leaving anyway so we can move him on.
I just don't get the panic in throwing silly money at a player who was so bad last year that he was a massive factor in us missing out on the top 4 (and therefore literally costing us millions of pounds).

Shouldn't he be the one trying to prove himself to us and earn the new contract after last year rather than us desperately throwing more money at him to stay?
I can see where you are coming from with you point in bold. I agree that it is a gamble but it is a gamble I personally would be willing to take. Give him the new contract and if he doesn't play well we could always get rid of him then. I'm a firm believer in the old saying 'Form is temporary, class is permanent'. Also by next year if De Gea doesn't play to the best of his ability, Henderson will have one more year of experience behind him and may be ready to take over the number 1 spot.

minh_loc_xoay

I can see where you are coming from with you point in bold. I agree that it is a gamble but it is a gamble I personally would be willing to take. Give him the new contract and if he doesn't play well we could always get rid of him then.
The bolded part is what scares me the most. How can we "get rid of him" when no other clubs on this planet would be willing to pay his salary after our new contract, and with his form still being bad in that case?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Amazing news and I can only see him regaining his form.

Eric's Seagull

The bolded part is what scares me the most. How can we "get rid of him" when no other clubs on this planet would be willing to pay his salary after our new contract, and with his form still being bad in that case?
I can see your point but I think PSG I think PSG may be willing to take a punt. If he has a season like last year, this year put it in certain terms that he will be relegated to number 2 if we don't sell him the may be willing to accept a less wage rather than be on the bench.

padzilla

Hipster
His lapse in form began with the Spanish team in the World Cup, I am concerned that losing his place in the national team has rattled him. Given that he was an obvious liability for long periods of last season are we wise to offer him a long term contract and pay rise? He reminds me of Casillas, a world class shot stopper but once that part of his game falters there is a real fear he will only continue to cost us as he doesn't have the presence that keepers that successfully played into their late 30s had like Buffon, Edwin, Seaman and even Schmiechel.

cyberman

Not sure why me only mentioning him twice up until April 19th has any bearing on my evaluation of the player.

I've actually watched him numerous times and he is a well rounded keeper. He commands his area well, is very brave, has excellent distribution and sweeping abilities. Good shot stopper too..
He was all of that since day one at City. Nobody has ever called him out so I simply questioned your analysis of Benfica to City Ederson since I think you had never watching him in Portugal.
Not even a comment when City signed him. Seems strange to me.

lysglimt

Scout
He's not even considered the best keeper in Spain (behind a fairly average keeper in Kepa) yet you think he's the best in the world and therefore worth £350,000 a week, OK.
He made some mistakes for Spain - so its not strange that Kepa gets the chance. There are a few keepers in the World who in my opinion are at DDG's level - but Kepa is not one of them

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
ole is confident that he will sign the new contract. Now we should move on to getting good cover in front of him A CB and a DM.
Ole was confident Herrera would stay as well
Ole is confident Pogba will stay
I dont take a lot of what Ole says at face value tbh

I'll believe De Gea signing his contract once it's done

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
The new contract would make him the highest paid keeper ever right? Be devastating to lose him after offering that kind of status. We've messed things up so much elsewhere that even record amounts can't help assuage things elsewhere it seems.

Last edited:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
It will have gone down as a bit sad state of affairs if he doesn't win at least one more league title at Manchester United till he retires/goes. He's 29, has been here for 8 years and only has one title. Granted he's got one Europa League and one domestic cup each but still, his trophy cabinet doesn't match his talent. If he doesn't win more proper trophies it will have to be perceived as a big waste, won't it?

Looking at it from an objective point of view I'm really not surprised if he wants out. Has always given us his best, even if last season was so-so, and is a top pro.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was all of that since day one at City. Nobody has ever called him out so I simply questioned your analysis of Benfica to City Ederson since I think you had never watching him in Portugal.
Not even a comment when City signed him. Seems strange to me.
Not sure what your point is here. I've clearly stated that Ederson is a well rounded keeper and your response to that was I made all that up. Why on earth would it be necessary for me to talk about Ederson on the forum when he signed for City? I've always followed the Portuguese league and my posts in the Bruno Fernandes thread allude to that.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Moriarty

Not sure what your point is here. I've clearly stated that Ederson is a well rounded keeper and your response to that was I made all that up. Why on earth would it be necessary for me to talk about Ederson on the forum when he signed for City? I've always followed the Portuguese league and my posts in the Bruno Fernandes thread allude to that.
I thought he was a clown when I first saw him play for City. How wrong can you be? He's not half bad.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Yea that's what I thought, in my opinion it was nothing to do with ability. I think he was making errors that showed a lapse in concentration, that's all. Things certainly seem more positive about a new contract so I think once that's done he will be back to his best for us.
Would you not say that concentration is an ability?
For a goalkeeper especially.
Losing your concentration at vital moments like champions league quarter-finals or huge league games with a top 4 place on the line is showing a lack of ability.
Im genuinely baffled as to how people are throwing up the contract negotiations as an excuse.
To me, it's a concern.

cyril C

The two situations are the same as in we offer "past-it" players long-term contracts just because of their past glory, instead of what they really are at the present.

As my post above said, De Gea's play style cannot be improved and is outdated. We want to revolutionize our gameplay, we have to go with more modern goalkeepers. De Gea's game leaves a lot to be desired. This is supposed to be our perfect chance to start again with a clean slate from the back. Instead we want to keep ourselves stuck in the past and offer him with a kind of deal that makes him practically impossible to move on because no other clubs in the world would pay that kind of money to a goalkeeper.
While many modern teams initiate their open play from the back, we have been struggling on basics in the past 2 seasons.

cyril C

Yeah, under LVG his distribution was quite good.
Let's put this into perspective. Prior to LVG DDG did some great pass, all about long pass to the winger/striker on counter-attack, kind of assists. When LVG came along there were always 2-3 players around the box, so there were plenty of options even if opposition press. Modern keeper passing required GK to keep the ball with composure even under duress, make pin-point pass, and not to make a fool of himself. DDG never pass that grade.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Let's put this into perspective. Prior to LVG DDG did some great pass, all about long pass to the winger/striker on counter-attack, kind of assists. When LVG came along there were always 2-3 players around the box, so there were plenty of options even if opposition press. Modern keeper passing required GK to keep the ball with composure even under duress, make pin-point pass, and not to make a fool of himself. DDG never pass that grade.
Yes, let's put it into perspective, modern football does not require every GK to be an Alisson or an Edison. There are 18 other clubs in the Premier League. De Gea has been the best GK in the league for the last 5 or 6 years, last season (the tail end especially) very much an anomaly. Therefor, I refuse to cancel out every thing he has done and look at him as some sort of GK dinosaur just because he's not a sweeper-keeper. Also, to put things into perspective, he has consistently had a shit defense in front of him, not only in terms of defending, but in terms of receiving the ball, passing the ball, choosing passes, pretty much everything that requires technical ability and confidence.

That being said, distribution has been his weakest area alongside coming out for crosses with confidence. But every world class player has downsides to their game if they are not Messi or Ronaldo.

edit: *Ederson :lol:

Last edited:

Gasolin

Yes, let's put it into perspective, modern football does not require every GK to be an Alisson or an Edison. There are 18 other clubs in the Premier League. De Gea has been the best GK in the league for the last 5 or 6 years, last season (the tail end especially) very much an anomaly. Therefor, I refuse to cancel out every thing he has done and look at him as some sort of GK dinosaur just because he's not a sweeper-keeper. Also, to put things into perspective, he has consistently had a shit defense in front of him, not only in terms of defending, but in terms of receiving the ball, passing the ball, choosing passes, pretty much everything that requires technical ability and confidence.

That being said, distribution has been his weakest area alongside coming out for crosses with confidence. But every world class player has downsides to their game if they are not Messi or Ronaldo.
It's weird because at some point last year and with LVG, I thought his distribution was more than good but it regressed somehow. It could also be related to the team being chaotic on the field and making it not easy to find a team mate but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.