De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

matsdf

The way some people are speaking about David is just heartbreaking really. He's been in the TOTY 5 times, in what's been our worst patch in years. He's been so good that people stopped arguing who was the best goalkeeper in the world, and rather argued if De Gea was the best goalkeeper of all time.

Once he gains his confident back, some of you guys will have to eat your words.

crossy1686

career ending
And you're acting like he's some run of the mill GK who's done nothing for the club during his tenure (proven by your pathetic comment about him being unable to save shots outside of the box). Like I said you deserve this club to be shit and unsuccessful
You're acting like his jilted lover. Fergie would have sold him ages ago, just like he tried to do with Rooney. We're not going to crumble because a goalkeeper leaves.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You're acting like his jilted lover. Fergie would have sold him ages ago, just like he tried to do with Rooney. We're not going to crumble because a goalkeeper leaves.
So because you dont have a come back to the shit you were previously spouting you're now deciding to start talking hypotheticals about what Fergie would have done. Ironic you're telling someone else to have a day off

crossy1686

career ending
So because you dont have a come back to the shit you were previously spouting you're now deciding to start talking hypotheticals about what Fergie would have done. Ironic you're telling someone else to have a day off
I've already made my point about De Gea but for some reason anyone that disagree's with you isn't a real fan and deserves to not see United be successful so what else is there to say?

People were saying Pogba shouldn't be sold a few months ago, don't hear anyone making those noises anymore, people were hysterical when Ronaldo, Beckham, Ruud were sold, we were fine weren't we? If you want to support De Gea to the detriment of Manchester United then that's on you but surely even you can see the damage and precedent it would set by making a goalkeeper who arguably cost us the top 4 in the last few games, the highest paid goalkeeper in the world, despite no fecker else in the world being interested in his services for the quoted price. Sometimes it's best for all parties to separate and this is one of them.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

He will be the highest paid GK by far if he signed the new contract.

Both Man City and Liverpool have better GK than us and their salary is much lower than DDG.

Hope DDG can get back to be the best GK in the world.
They had a better season last year, but to disregard everything Dave has done for years before that and say they are better is just fickle to be honest.

If you don't think we should be keeping DDG even on those wages when Oblak (only worthwhile replacement) would costs £80m plus similar wages, then I'm lost for words.

PepsiCola

I'd move him on and reinvest in a keeper.

His shot stopping is the best in the world, when on form. His overall game is lacking compared to other keepers in the league.

Hopefully Henderson can develop his all round goal keeping game

charlenefan

I've already made my point about De Gea but for some reason anyone that disagree's with you isn't a real fan and deserves to not see United be successful so what else is there to say?

People were saying Pogba shouldn't be sold a few months ago, don't hear anyone making those noises anymore, people were hysterical when Ronaldo, Beckham, Ruud were sold, we were fine weren't we? If you want to support De Gea to the detriment of Manchester United then that's on you but surely even you can see the damage and president it would set by making a goalkeeper who arguably cost us the top 4 in the last few games, the highest paid goalkeeper in the world, despite no fecker else in the world being interested in his services for the quoted price. Sometimes it's best for all parties to separate and this is one of them.
Like I said before 12 months ago would you have had a problem with making De Gea the best paid goalkeeper in the world? And while you can blame him for not making the top 4 last season (a highly arguable point in itself) what about all those other seasons when he alone was responsible for keeping us competitive in a top 4 'race'. While I get to a certain extent there should be little room for sentiment in top level sport you don't appear to be cutting any slack to without doubt our best player for 4/5 years post Fergie

charlenefan

To be fair, that baines ones aside I don't remember him saving any. None in the two League Cup shootouts against Sunderland and Derby.
Lukaku (lol) in the FA Cup SF
RVP in his 3rd (?) appearance for the club
There was one in Europe against some minnows as well

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's like 2 years younger than Dave? In a position where they play well into their 30s.
Keepers pen stats are very consistent throughout a career, you're either good at them or not.
More like 3 years..

Yakuza_devils

They had a better season last year, but to disregard everything Dave has done for years before that and say they are better is just fickle to be honest.

If you don't think we should be keeping DDG even on those wages when Oblak (only worthwhile replacement) would costs £80m plus similar wages, then I'm lost for words.
First of all, I have no problem the club paying DDG highest salary by far for GK in the world if he is still the best goalkeeper in the world or at the very least in England. The problem is he isn't and not just because Liverpool and Man City had better season. Both their goalkeepers are world class and playing modern possession football from the back with great goalkeeping abilities to boot.

Secondly, DDG have been threatening to leave us numerous times even though we have been paying him highest salary for GK all the time. IMO, even though we can't afford to spend $80mil for Oblak we can still do with a cheaper GK who really want to play for Man Utd.

Finally, Man Utd should only award world record contract to deserving players. Otherwise, it will set a bad precedent and the situation will be out of control if every players demands the same with average performance.

Having said all that, believe me that DDG is still one of my favourite player. If he signed the contract hope he can prove me wrong and be the best goalkeeper in the world again like he used to be.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He might - but he isn't gonna save 10 of them. They both suck at penalties….
Ederson isn't great at pens I agree. But he's much braver and on another level to De Gea as far as distribution goes. De Gea wouldn't get ahead of Ederson at City.

UncleBob

To be fair, that baines ones aside I don't remember him saving any. None in the two League Cup shootouts against Sunderland and Derby.
I'd consider getting that checked then, he saved two vs Sunderland in the shootout in 2014, Grant was in goal for the shootout vs Derby.

But who cares about facts.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The way some turned on De Gea… :houllier:

One bad season, you fickle cnuts.

Paxi

You make it sound like people have given him good ol kicking. I'm sure he'll be fine with a little bit of criticism.

No, people seem to have forgotten how good he is. That's not criticism.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No, people seem to have forgotten how good he is. That's not criticism.
People haven't forgot his shot stopping abilities believe it or not. But there's more to goalkeeping than just being good at shotstopping.

Paxi

People haven't forgot his shot stopping abilities believe it or not. But there's more to goalkeeping than just being good at shotstopping.
So he's only a good shot stopper now? He's litteraly been our best player since SAF left. We'd be screwed without him.

Paxi

His form will come, once his future is sorted. :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So he's only a good shot stopper now? He's litteraly been our best player since SAF left. We'd be screwed without him.
His distribution and command of his area leaves alot to be desired.

What is the worst that would've happened without him? We would've failed to reach the Europa League?

HJ12

Its possible for world class players to go through patches of bad form. People conveniently forget that the Great Dane himself had some rough patches which he was helped through, after which he came good. Dave's been superb for us for so long now, its strange that some are writing him off as no longer being a world class keeper. His current form is surely temporary and he'll return to the mean of great goalkeeping soon enough!

lysglimt

Scout
Ok - let's make it easy. Name one goalkeeper who is available and would cost less than what we can sell de Gea for ?

crossy1686

career ending
Like I said before 12 months ago would you have had a problem with making De Gea the best paid goalkeeper in the world? And while you can blame him for not making the top 4 last season (a highly arguable point in itself) what about all those other seasons when he alone was responsible for keeping us competitive in a top 4 'race'. While I get to a certain extent there should be little room for sentiment in top level sport you don't appear to be cutting any slack to without doubt our best player for 4/5 years post Fergie
I understand where you’re coming from but at the end of the day he’s in the last 12 months of his contract and doesn’t look like an improving goalkeeper. He’s skill set revolves largely on his cat like reflexes but his all round game is bang average, command of area, coming for crosses, long shots, distribution, playing out from the back with his feet etc. Once his reflexes start to go he’s going to fade fast and I don’t think we should take that risk but making him and expensive paper weight like Sanchez.

I’d completely agree with you if he had a couple of years left on a contract, let’s back him and see if he recovers but he’s fecked himself by having a shocker in the last year of his contract while asking for a massive pay rise.

If he doesn’t recover we’ll all be spewing next summer at the lack of foresight and ambition the board showed by giving him a new contract and we’ll be completely unable to move him on.

I don’t think it’s a risk worth taking to be honest, we should spend the money on a CB instead.

passing-wind

Would have taken Oblak but given A Madird have been picked apart that ship has surely sailed. We could have got Saul / Oblak and got rid of Pogba and De Gea. Instead Solskjaer is messing around trying to bring in British youth..

RonaldoVII

Would have taken Oblak but given A Madird have been picked apart that ship has surely sailed. We could have got Saul / Oblak and got rid of Pogba and De Gea. Instead Solskjaer is messing around trying to bring in British youth..
Why would either have joined us from Atletico?

passing-wind

Why would either have joined us from Atletico?
That's Solskjaer's job, even if we would have finished in the champions league a domestic competition doesn't decide 99% of a players decision. The manager is required to upsell the project and how he hopes to implement the player. Solskjaer seems incapable to attaining a decent calibre of player, the likes of AWB and Daniel James typify top 8 targets where they can be easily convinced to join.

So the question should be reverted, why would either Saul / Oblak be willing to play under Ole ? to that question I have absolutely no answer.

McSauce FC

Obviously everyone should be hoping for him to sign, whether or not you fancy him.

We need to focus on a lot of other problem areas this summer and if he does not sign he will leave on a free next summer.

Hughie77

He has to have a better season than last, especially if we get Maguire in front of him, I think he will sign a new deal, Utd need a keeper of his quality to stay.

Gandalf

That's Solskjaer's job, even if we would have finished in the champions league a domestic competition doesn't decide 99% of a players decision. The manager is required to upsell the project and how he hopes to implement the player. Solskjaer seems incapable to attaining a decent calibre of player, the likes of AWB and Daniel James typify top 8 targets where they can be easily convinced to join.

So the question should be reverted, why would either Saul / Oblak be willing to play under Ole ? to that question I have absolutely no answer.
Actually that is Ed's job. Ole gets a say in the targets along with Joel Glazer and Ed but then Ed goes off and negotiates and tries to sell the players on the club etc. Solskjaer has far less power than you seem to imagine here. It is part of what Mourinho sulked about last year, he asked for numerous players and Ed didn't deliver. For all you know Ole asked for de Ligt, Saul, Ndombele, Oblak and Neymar and Ed is just stringing him along before unveiling Charlie Austin and Joe Ledley on the last day of the window.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Chelsea signed Kepa for £70m on a 7 year contract and his wages are about £10m/year, so we can say the going rate for a top keeper is about £20m/year. £350,000/week is roughly that (£18.2m).

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Yeah, like some of you said, people with such a short memory
Best goalie in the world, give him what he wants, if he refuses than it's not about the money at all
He's not even considered the best keeper in Spain (behind a fairly average keeper in Kepa) yet you think he's the best in the world and therefore worth £350,000 a week, OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.