De Gea - Golden Glove WINNER!

OK777

Got it in the bag already pretty much....

None other in the world on his level

Jonno

Deserves it, easily the best keeper in the PL in my opinion

He'll thank Mourinho for this if he does get it. It's a flawed award really, because goalkeeping excellence shouldn't really be judged on how many goals his team concedes.

Nero

Careful not to turn into Liverpool fans of the past 30 years by glorifying this award. Dangerous slope.

MuranoLover

I think it will be tough seeing the next fixtures , but at least he ( 17 for now ) might be par with Ederson ( 15 for now )

Interesting figures from the previous years and never imagined De Gea hasn't still won it and Reina got it so many times with so many CS .

Premier League Golden Glove winners ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_Golden_Glove )

Season Player Nationality Club Clean sheets Ref(s)
2004–05 Petr Čech Czech Republic Chelsea
2005–06 Pepe Reina Spain Liverpool 20
2006–07 Pepe Reina (2) Spain Liverpool 19
2007–08 Pepe Reina (3) Spain Liverpool 18
2008–09 Edwin van der Sar Netherlands Manchester United
2009–10 Petr Čech (2) Czech Republic Chelsea
2010–11 Joe Hart England Manchester City 18
2011–12 Joe Hart (2) England Manchester City
2012–13 Joe Hart (3) England Manchester City 18
2013–14
Petr Čech (3) Czech Republic Chelsea 16
2013–14
Wojciech Szczęsny Poland Arsenal 16
2014–15 Joe Hart (4) England Manchester City 14
2015–16 Petr Čech (4) Czech Republic Arsenal 16
2016–17 Thibaut Courtois Belgium Chelsea

Player (X) Name of the player and number of times they had won the award at that point (if more than one)
Indicates multiple award winners in the same season
Denotes the club were Premier League champions in the same season

Sterling Archer

Remember a few seasons back we screwed it up for him, conceding late on in the game that would have sealed the award? Let’s try not to do so again

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should it really be done with clean sheets? or perhaps goals conceded instead? seems like the fairer way of doing things.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Remember a few seasons back we screwed it up for him, conceding late on in the game that would have sealed the award? Let’s try not to do so again
Two years ago, that bomb postponed Bournemouth game. Smalling putting it in his own net with literally the last kick of the season.

Sterling Archer

Two years ago, that bomb postponed Bournemouth game. Smalling putting it in his own net with literally the last kick of the season.
Oh that's right...I forgot about the postponement . That was a real let down for a keeper that basically kept our season together

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Should it really be done with clean sheets? or perhaps goals conceded instead? seems like the fairer way of doing things.
Then you have a completely different set of problems arising. What if a GK has conceded fewer because of less minutes played (Mignolet 24 vs De Gea 26)? If you then go by minutes per goal conceded, what's the minimum minutes criteria? And what's stopping teams from deliberately manipulating the system? Let's assume your GK has the best ratio going into the last 2-3 dead rubbers, why risk worsening that ratio when simply benching him will ensure that he wins the glove?

If it's an individual award then I think the current method is the fairest. If you want it to be a team award then go for goals conceded.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Then you have a completely different set of problems arising. What if a GK has conceded fewer because of less minutes played (Mignolet 24 vs De Gea 26)? If you then go by minutes per goal conceded, what's the minimum minutes criteria? And what's stopping teams from deliberately manipulating the system? Let's assume your GK has the best ratio going into the last 2-3 dead rubbers, why risk worsening that ratio when simply benching him will ensure that he wins the glove?

If it's an individual award then I think the current method is the fairest. If you want it to be a team award then go for goals conceded.
Yeah fair enough, guess it's not so cut and dry. Oh well we've got a good chance for DDG to win it this season, he really deserves it.

RedDevil@84

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...en-his-best-at-Manchester-United-to-date.aspx

The Spanish stopper, who arrived from Atletico Madrid in 2011, has been in magnificent form once again in 2017/18 – which has been recognised with his inclusion in the PFA Team of the Season for a fifth time and being nominated for the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award, eventually won by Liverpool’s Mo Salah.

De Gea has already kept 21 clean sheets in all competitions this term, more than in any other season at the club, and is on course to claim a first Golden Glove – the award given to the goalkeeper with the most clean sheets in a Premier League campaign. He leads the way with 17 shut-outs – two ahead of Manchester City’s Brazilian stopper Ederson – with four games left to play.

In an interview with Premier League Productions, De Gea was asked if this season has been his best in a United shirt. The 27-year-old replied: “Yeah, I’m pretty pleased with my performance. It’s been a fairly complete, all round set of performances from me.

“I’ve felt good, felt fit and in good form physically throughout the season. Let’s hope that these last few games to go before the end of the season continue the form, then leading into the World Cup, which is an important time for Spain.”

The Reds have been in fine form recently, winning a number of big games, and have an Emirates FA Cup final against Chelsea next month to look forward to.

De Gea feels Jose Mourinho has been key in inspiring those impressive victories and one of the manager’s best qualities is transmitting his winning mentality to the squad – which the keeper feels is important in order to sustain a Premier League title challenge next term.

“We’ve got a great manager,” De Gea said. “He’s very experienced, he’s won everything there is to win in the game. What he is really good at is transmitting his winning mentality to the group.

“However, at the end of the day, it’s down to ourselves – the players on the field. It is us who make the saves, create the chances and score the goals. So, as a group, we’ve got to get that level of consistency and quality throughout the season.”

De Gea, who made history by becoming the first man to claim the historic Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year trophy in three successive seasons, is among the frontrunners to win the accolade again this term but is likely to face stiff competition from a number of team-mates.

Velvet Revolver

I think it will be tough seeing the next fixtures , but at least he ( 17 for now ) might be par with Ederson ( 15 for now )

Interesting figures from the previous years and never imagined De Gea hasn't still won it and Reina got it so many times with so many CS .

Premier League Golden Glove winners ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_Golden_Glove )

2013–14
2013–14

Player (X) Name of the player and number of times they had won the award at that point (if more than one)

In a world where Joe Hart has won it 4 times. I rather DDG not be on that list. Poor VDS!

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

2013–14
2013–14

Petr Cech got 24 clean sheets :eek:
That Chelsea defense was insane.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How does it stand at the moment? Him and Ederson tied?

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I think the confusion comes from that when Mane kicked the shit out of Ederson's face, he was substituted at HT, so 5-0 or not, it didn't count as clean sheet. Which is a bit weird but still.

IrishRedDevil

I think the confusion comes from that when Mane kicked the shit out of Ederson's face, he was substituted at HT, so 5-0 or not, it didn't count as clean sheet. Which is a bit weird but still.
It's not weird at all. He didn't finish the game, so why would he get a clean sheet after playing 45 mins of football :wenger:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It's not weird at all. He didn't finish the game, so why would he get a clean sheet after playing 45 mins of football :wenger:
What happens if you get subbed of with 75 minutes gone? Genuine question

We really are turning into Liverpool discussing the golden glove though however nice it would be for DDG

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I think there are different interpretations to that in other sports, too, but sometimes when you played the majority of the game it's enough to claim one. Now I realize that it was the exact half. :) I guess why I feel it's weird is because he was the unlucky one who got injured after a red card challenge, which meant that Liverpool were basically a zero threat on goal afterwards.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What happens if you get subbed of with 75 minutes gone? Genuine question

We really are turning into Liverpool discussing the golden glove though however nice it would be for DDG
It counts. Only need to play 60 minutes. There was this discussion in 2014/15 when De Gea picked up an injury in 74th minute v Arsenal. He went off and we conceded (thanks Valdes) but he got the clean sheet.

Andy_Cole

It counts. Only need to play 60 minutes. There was this discussion in 2014/15 when De Gea picked up an injury in 74th minute v Arsenal. He went off and we conceded (thanks Valdes) but he got the clean sheet.
Fantasy Football rules.

Toad

He is inevitable going to get it under Mourinho at some point.

el3mel

I don't care much about it but gonna be good for him to get it, even though I would have preferred he gets it at a season we win the title in.

Toad

I don't care much about it but gonna be good for him to get it, even though I would have preferred he gets it at a season we win the title in.
Just good for him really, just the same as a striker winning the golden boot, just as important to a goalkeeper in my opinion.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well deserved from De God. At last, redcafe's transformation to RAWK is complete.

FujiVice

Congrats Dave. A man who suffers for his art, having to watch this lot every week from his goal.