De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Gandalf

He's injured and might not even be fit to play again this season. They couldn't go the 2nd half of the season playing Wayne Hennessey so bringing in another GK was essential and still probably won't be enough.
They are not exactly crying over him being unavailable though. Most Forest fans think he is decent but he gets beaten by long range shots far too often and those that have watched him a lot this season claim his kicking and distribution is pretty comical so definitely not what ETH is looking for.

I would personally go for Raya, won't cost too much with his deal expiring and he clearly fits the profile the manager wants.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
Crazy as it sounds but grandad Navas is better than DeGea at the min.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Maignan. He’s great.

De Gea needs to be bombed out though. I wouldn’t keep him as a back up.

We need two keepers with the same skill set. Zero point in paying him a fortune to stay, and have to play a completely different style of football if the other keeper is unavailable.

Great servant. Well past it for a top club that plays the way ETH seemingly wants us to.

The Law of Denis

Keylor Navas is the best option. He's a proven winner and a safe pair of hands. He will also be cheap and allow us to focus on other positions.

He's not much older than when Van Der Sar joined us.

Oranges038

No money restrictions - Maignan / Costa

Money isa bit tight - Raya

Tempting - Neuer

IRN-BRUno

Assuming we won't be spending much on one, Yann Sommer. He's already hinted he doesn't want to stay at Bayern as 2nd choice and I'd imagine they'd let him go at a reasonably cheap price. Should be good enough for a season or two.

Crimson King

Raya from brentford or Martinez from villa
Martinez would be expensive.

Raya seems like a suitable stop gap. I'm not sure he's a better shot stopper than DDG, and doesn't look the tallest or most commanding in the air, but he does seem a lot more comfortable with the ball at his feet. Having said that, Brentford do pump it long a lot for Toney...which he's very good at doing, but not sure we'd need him to do that so much.

Surely there has to be some kind of Edwin VdS type signing we can make? Someone in the twilight of their career at a smaller club, who'd jump at the chance to join Utd? Edwin was a great sweeper keeper.

fallengt

Unai Simon, Diogo Costa. Both are above average shoot stopper but have no problem with ball in their feet and claiming cross. Doubt club have money
Raya, is a no brainer if club can't spend a fortune on GK

Crimson King

Raya or Sanchez.

Spain saw it years ago, but as always our hierarchy are late to the party.
Sanchez has been dropped by Brighton because they actually think Steele has better distribution.

I think they still see Sanchez as their long term #1 though, and he's still a lot better with his feet than DDG.

I think they'd want too much for him to make it worthwhile, unfortunately.

NoPace

Kicker has Ronnow as the best keeper in the Bundesliga this season.

The stats suggest Samba is having another great year. Lens presumably would sell, he's in the French team. Tons of England experience. Good passer apparently.

Roboc7

Martinez would be expensive.

Raya seems like a suitable stop gap. I'm not sure he's a better shot stopper than DDG, and doesn't look the tallest or most commanding in the air, but he does seem a lot more comfortable with the ball at his feet. Having said that, Brentford do pump it long a lot for Toney...which he's very good at doing, but not sure we'd need him to do that so much.

Surely there has to be some kind of Edwin VdS type signing we can make? Someone in the twilight of their career at a smaller club, who'd jump at the chance to join Utd? Edwin was a great sweeper keeper.
I think Raya will be priced out of being a stop gap, if Brentford want 35-40m may as well just pay a more and get Costa.

Expect we’ll probably keep De Gea on for another year at least but if Everton go down I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign Pickford. Not a fan myself but just seems like type of signing we go for.

meninred

Personally one way i would judge Ten hag is by how many players he gets rid of.. it is time to move on from players like Degea... he was a great servant for the club and we will always appreciate that.
There are lot of goalkeepers as potential replacement (most of them mentioned here). As Degea is a good shot stopper but average in other aspects it wont be a big loss.

PSV

Would get Rønnow. One year left and we could probably get him for £10m or less. Given his current wages buying him and releasing De Gea could even be a net profit for next season.

HarryP

Diogo Costa would be the best GK available. Raya probably the best value due to his contract situation (gettable for £20-30m)

Crimson King

I think Raya will be priced out of being a stop gap, if Brentford want 35-40m may as well just pay a more and get Costa.

Expect we’ll probably keep De Gea on for another year at least but if Everton go down I wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign Pickford. Not a fan myself but just seems like type of signing we go for.
Ah, I was under the impression you could get Raya for closer to 20m as he's not signed a new contract.

I'm not keen on Pickford either, and I think they'd want a lot for him as well, which would make it a bad deal.

HarryP

I'd legit prefer the Glazers to stay for the next decade rather than see Pickford as the #1.

I'd struggle to watch if that ever happened.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'd legit prefer the Glazers to stay for the next decade rather than see Pickford as the #1.

I'd struggle to watch if that ever happened.
I hope that's just a figure of speech.

I'd be fine with us signing any player if it meant the Glazers were gone for good. Not that there's any correlation obviously.

HarryP

I hope that's just a figure of speech.

I'd be fine with us signing any player if it meant the Glazers were gone for good. Not that there's any correlation obviously.
Nah I genuinely think signing Pickford as our #1 would be a watershed moment and not in a good way. I wouldn't be able to watch him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
From what's being reported, it seems like the plan is to make him the #2 on reduced wages. It'll be interesting to see if De Gea accepts that or decides to leave.

McDonnell is reporting that De Gea will be released.

Buying a younger keeper who fits the profile as far as building play from the back with De Gea around for another season to help him settle isn't a bad idea imo. And I've been a vocal critic of De Gea for well over 5 years.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Nah I genuinely think signing Pickford as our #1 would be a watershed moment and not in a good way. I wouldn't be able to watch him.
So you'd prefer the Glazers staying for another 10 years? Come on man. A bit of perspective. They're the worst thing to happen to the club in a long time. Another decade of them leeching off our club, plunging us into more debt, whilst our stadium continues to rot... that's far worse than signing a GK with unlikeable traits. Worst case scenario with Pickford he's embarrassing for a year and we replace him. It's not that deep bro.

SAF is the GOAT

From what's being reported, it seems like the plan is to make him the #2 on reduced wages. It'll be interesting to see if De Gea accepts that or decides to leave.

McDonnell is reporting that De Gea will be released.

Buying a younger keeper who fits the profile as far as building play from the back with De Gea around for another season to help him settle isn't a bad idea imo. And I've been a vocal critic of De Gea for well over 5 years.
The club really needs to be ruthless about this and other deals.

I remember the exact same situation that happened in AC Milan where Donaruma demanded a higher contract and Maldini refused to give it to him. After few months he went to PSG and Milan Brought Mike Maignan who's brilliant for them right now. We need to be the same! Don't bloody be soft! Stay on your ground!

In the short term we"ll maybe lose.aplayer but in the long run no one would dare to squeeze and take advantage of us.

croadyman

If we have the money, then Maignan. Otherwise, for the next couple of years, we should look for a good deal like Raya or any relatively older keeper who wouldn't be a lot of money. Going into next season with only De Gea as the option would be suicidal.
Yeah not against him on cheap deal