De Gea Signs New Contract to 2023 (+1)

Judas

Open to offers
That Telegraphs shows 375k including bonus. So it almost double Harry Kane's, way more than Sterling or KdB, and almost equal to Hazard's at Madrid.

What a bargain for Gk! It shows his heart is always with us.
Do you actually believe City players are paid as little as reported? You can’t be that naive surely.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Do you actually believe City players are paid as little as reported? You can’t be that naive surely.
I can only do with reported number. Sorry I'm not as wise as you who knows accurately.

How much would we pay for a new keeper plus his wages?
Also De Gea is certainly not a failure.
That's why it's a rotten Club policy allowing players to run down their contract and hold the Club to ransom. It allows the like of Martial, Rashford, Shaw, and DDG of having last shite season but getting mega contract.

The kind of thinking "it would cost more to buy players" causing us to extend Rojo, Jones, and Mata's contracts.

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This has to be great news in the long term plan of "rebuilding".
Stability in that back 5, and another position that will not now require time and transfer funds to repair....meaning that we can now focus fully in that bloody Midfield department.

RedDevilRoshi

Very good news.

I’m glad it’s all now sorted. His performance at the weekend against Leicester was his best for quite some time and I’m hoping that’s due to the fact his long term future is now secure. Plus it’s one less position to worry about strengthening with a huge sum of money when we’ve already got other areas that are badly needing addressed i.e. midfield, right wing and attack.

Ban

I can only do with reported number. Sorry I'm not as wise as you who knows accurately.

That's why it's a rotten Club policy allowing players to run down their contract and hold the Club to ransom. It allows the like of Martial, Rashford, Shaw, and DDG of having last shite season but getting mega contract.

The kind of thinking "it would cost more to buy players" causing us to extend Rojo, Jones, and Mata's contracts.
You didn't answer my question. Also what would you do, get rid of all those players? Relevance to Rojo situation and the like doesn't stand.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I wasn't born yesterday? They're beyond rich, and we know for a fact how dodgy they are. You can believe they're being paid relative peanuts if you want, but the majority don't.
It's not what I (and you) believe. I'm just going by the reported numbers. Feel free to show yours.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/24/the-12-highest-paid-soccer-players-in-the-premier-league.html#targetText=4.,Kevin De Bruyne&targetText=Contract: Five-year deal worth,72.8 million ($95 million).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-signs-new-six-year-manchester-city-contract/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kevin-de-bruyne-could-earn-100-million-in-five-years-rz6tg5kq5

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You didn't answer my question. .
Why do I suppose to know the answer? It's irrelevant to my point anyway.

Also what would you do, get rid of all those players? Relevance to Rojo situation and the like doesn't stand.
Sorry to not make my point clear. The Club should either make the player sign the contract at reasonable wage (to their performance), or sell them years before their contract is up. Thus, when the Club just came 6th last season, underwhelming players like Rashford and DDG couldn't demand mega bump in wages and contract. Thus, the Club shouldn't caved in to these players demand, who just had underwhelming season, just because it is more expensive to buy new players or lose them for nothing.

You reward players when they perform well and make the Club challenging again.

TheReligion

Abusive
950k a week, glad we kept it under a cool million a week. I've no idea how much his wages are.

Sorry to not make my point clear. The Club should either make the player sign the contract at reasonable wage (to their performance), or sell them years before their contract is up. Thus, when the Club just came 6th last season, underwhelming players like Rashford and DDG couldn't demand mega bump in wages and contract. Thus, the Club shouldn't caved in to these players demand, who just had underwhelming season, just because it is more expensive to buy new players or lose them for nothing.

You see its not quite as easy as that when you're not in a position of power is it?

The other option is to let the likes of DDG, Martial, Rashford etc leave for nothing. Then go out and spend big money on replacing them and equally big money tempting their replacements to move over when the club is losing its star players.

I really don't get some on this forum. The club is clearly being rebuilt. We are signing and retaining talented players who still have longevity. Some renewals have been done to protect assets (Rojo, Jones, Mata) which again is sensible. The outgoing Sanchez, Darmian and Smalling show we fully intend to cycle these players out during the next stage.

Rebuilding takes time and you have to get behind it and stick with the programme.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You see its not quite as easy as that when you're not in a position of power is it?

The other option is to let the likes of DDG, Martial, Rashford etc leave for nothing.
Then go out and spend big money on replacing them and equally big money tempting their replacements to move over when the club is losing its star players.

I really don't get some on this forum. The club is clearly being rebuilt. We are signing and retaining talented players who still have longevity. Some renewals have been done to protect assets (Rojo, Jones, Mata) which again is sensible. The outgoing Sanchez, Darmian and Smalling show we fully intend to cycle these players out during the next stage.

Rebuilding takes time and you have to get behind it and stick with the programme.
Exactly. It takes two to tango. I blame the Club, but the players are no angels also. They are happy to winding down their contract and then leeching off the Club. This practice shouldn't be celebrated, as showing both sides rotten mentality.

Rebuilding should also include fixing players mentality. Reward should hand in hand with result.

TheReligion

Abusive
Exactly. It takes two to tango. I blame the Club, but the players are no angels also. They are happy to winding down their contract and then leeching off the Club. This practice shouldn't be celebrate, as showing both sides rotten mentality. Restructuring should also include fixing players mentality. Reward should hand in hand with result.
So how do you do that in our current situation whilst retaining your best and most talented players?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So how do you do that in our current situation whilst retaining your best and most talented players?
I made these points above.

Exactly. It takes two to tango. I blame the Club, but the players are no angels also. They are happy to winding down their contract and then leeching off the Club. This practice shouldn't be celebrated, as showing both sides rotten mentality.

Rebuilding should also include fixing players mentality. Reward should hand in hand with result.

TheReligion

Abusive
I made these points above.
You can't just sell the players on the cheap though in our situation as I've said.

In addition we have a new coach who wants to work with some of these underperforming players and believes he can bring the best out of them due to previous poor coaching/morale/fitness/tactics etc.

You can't have it both ways.

settembrini

This is great news. Hopefully he goes back to being the best keeper in the world now that his future is settled.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You can't just sell the players on the cheap though in our situation as I've said.

In addition we have a new coach who wants to work with some of these underperforming players and believes he can bring the best out of them due to previous poor coaching/morale/fitness/tactics etc.

You can't have it both ways.
I agreed. But we can start by not celebrating this rotten practice by players.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agreed. But we can start by not celebrating this rotten practice by players.
DDG is on his way to being a club legend. He's given fantastic service despite the current form issue. Fans love him and will of course be happy he is staying on. He's 28 years old and entering his peak goalkeeping years - look at Van der Sar for instance.

With Henderson on loan and committed to a long term deal we have secured our goalkeeping spot for the foreseeable. People are happy with this as am I.

I'm not sure why the outcry. It's the modern game.

Ban

On the contrary, it's very relevant.

Alabaster Codify7

So I guess this is the end of Dean Henderson, then?

We aren't going to be benching a keeper on DDG's wages for Henderson if he comes back to compete; Henderson isn't going to return to be reserve; nobody will be buying DDG anymore given the wages/asking price.

I'm not one of these 'youth/academy have to play' guys and I would rather the better GK be our #1 even if that means Henderson leaving for first-team footy. I'm just raising the topic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

We aren't going to be benching a keeper on DDG's wages for Henderson if he comes back to compete; Henderson isn't going to return to be reserve; nobody will be buying DDG anymore given the wages/asking price.

I'm not one of these 'youth/academy have to play' guys and I would rather the better GK be our #1 even if that means Henderson leaving for first-team footy. I'm just raising the topic.
I would guess so, hopefully he does well this season and we can get a nice transfer fee for him but at the end of the day if he were truly better than De Gea then we'd play him and if we dont it means he isn't

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
While the truth is that he’s made a handful of uncharacteristic mistakes in the last 6 months and nothing beyond that.
Exactly. I realise fans are generally fickle, but the way some have turned on him is absolutely ridiculous.

Raw

Either we keep on loaning him until De Gea looks to be in decline, from there we can start giving him first team chances. Or we sell him but add a buy back clause.

Amerifan

I think this signing actually increases Henderson’s chances here. If DDG signed for lower wages, Henderson would have three seasons to prove he’s at least as good as DDG. Now, if he even approaches DDG in quality and stays on lower wages, I suspect the board will keep him and trade DDG.

crossy1686

career ending
While the truth is that he’s made a handful of uncharacteristic mistakes in the last 6 months and nothing beyond that.
But it's not though is it? Did you watch him at the world cup? Because that's where it started.

It's been a solid 18 months of poor form. No one would be saying a thing if it was a few games at the end of last season. He continued the errors into last season and was generally poor compared to what we're used to. Let's stop pretending things aren't true because he's signed a new contract.

Here's just one error from WC 2018.

crossy1686

career ending
This is great news. Hopefully he goes back to being the best keeper in the world now that his future is settled.
Has he ever been that? Neuer would certainly have something to say about that anyway. There was a period where he was brilliant but I don't think he's ever been the best in the world.

Hammerfell

Has he ever been that? Neuer would certainly have something to say about that anyway. There was a period where he was brilliant but I don't think he's ever been the best in the world.
Come on, he definitely was.

Woodzy

But it's not though is it? Did you watch him at the world cup? Because that's where it started.

It's been a solid 18 months of poor form. No one would be saying a thing if it was a few games at the end of last season. He continued the errors into last season and was generally poor compared to what we're used to. Let's stop pretending things aren't true because he's signed a new contract.

Here's just one error from WC 2018.

Has his Spanish form ever been amazing? As a United fan I couldn’t care less about it.

The truth is that he has made about 4 or 5 out of character mistakes since the end of last season.

Is it a concern? Of course. Does mean he is declining as a goalkeeper? Certainly not.

The fact that these mistakes have come in such a short space of time point much more towards short term issues rather than a decline as a player.

crossy1686

career ending
Has his Spanish form ever been amazing? As a United fan I couldn’t care less about it.

The truth is that he has made about 4 or 5 out of character mistakes since the end of last season.

Is it a concern? Of course. Does mean he is declining as a goalkeeper? Certainly not.

The fact that these mistakes have come in such a short space of time point much more towards short term issues rather than a decline as a player.
His Spanish form has been sketchy consistently, which as a United fan is a concern because he seems to be capable of being poor and making mistakes, if that spills over into his club football more then it will become a characteristic instead of something that happens from time to time, even to the best.

We will see over the season if this was a good deal or not. I'm hoping he returns to the keeper we had a few years ago instead of giving us something else to worry about.

Ban

What is great is that his salary will be different every day just like Alexis'.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not upset he’s signed, but I’m also not over the moon he’s signed. I’m non aligned on this one.

I take particular issue with the way he’s run his contract down but realised no one is willing to pay him what he wants, just feels like he’s angling for the Madrid move still.

His form has been sketchy since the World Cup, to the point Spain have dropped him. He was poor for us last season and yet he’s got a bumper new deal out of it.

He has been great for us in the past and I’m hoping he returns to his absolute best now but just because he’s signed a new contract and we all want it to be true, doesn’t mean it actually will. In fact, I’ll put solid money on him making a mistake in one of the next two games.
Yeh I get where you coming from, which I couldn’t disagree. But from fans perspective, we all should look forward to him getting back his focus on the pitch, and find back his form which make him truly world class keeper for long period of time. I still think it’s possible and likely it would happen.

Jonno

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not upset he’s signed, but I’m also not over the moon he’s signed. I’m non aligned on this one.

I take particular issue with the way he’s run his contract down but realised no one is willing to pay him what he wants, just feels like he’s angling for the Madrid move still.

His form has been sketchy since the World Cup, to the point Spain have dropped him. He was poor for us last season and yet he’s got a bumper new deal out of it.

He has been great for us in the past and I’m hoping he returns to his absolute best now but just because he’s signed a new contract and we all want it to be true, doesn’t mean it actually will. In fact, I’ll put solid money on him making a mistake in one of the next two games.
Surely if this were the case, he’d have just left for Madrid on a free at the end of the season? I don’t quite understand how signing a new 5 year contract is “angling for a Madrid move”

SirAF

Ageist
Yeh I get where you coming from, which I couldn’t disagree. But from fans perspective, we all should look forward to him getting back his focus on the pitch, and find back his form which make him truly world class keeper for long period of time. still think it’s possible and likely it would happen.
Put it this way, I think it’s more likely that de Gea returns to normal form than not. I’m willing to write off his poor spell on the account of uncertainty over his future.

Jonno

He’s been world class for us for about 6 out of the 8 seasons. Of his two off seasons 1 of which was settling in as a teenager and 1 was with the defence in tatters, contract uncertainty and a change off manager. So I’m optimistic that now we have a more stable defensive CB pairing, he has his long term future sorted and the backing of the manager, he will come back to his best again.

Bargain.

romufc

Looks like a big contract but lets be fair:

Another top goalie on the agenda next year would have thrown our transfer plans out the window because a semi decent one these days costs £30-40m

We would rather go into the transfer market knowing back 5 is not an issue and we only need to concentrate on mid and attack.

Yes, i know many fans think LB should be a priority too but not in my eyes, next summer is CM, CAM and RW

The_Order

Yeah, thats great and all but 90 million a week...I just dont know you guys...