De Gea's Kicking

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I feel this merits its own discussion.

The guys distribution is absolutely fantastic. A lot has been made about Fellainis brilliant aerial domination, but I find it incredible to see how De Gea manages to pick him out with long kicks. It's a quality that is often overlooked in GKs - and indeed with DDG he gets heaps of praise for his shot stopping, but his distribution and passing rarely seems to be mentioned.

He is cool under pressure, composed and accurate with both his long and short passing.

For the love of god get him signed up Woody!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Considering how poor it was pre LVG, it has improved remarkably. I think he always had it in him, it was a confidence/philosophy issue.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Considering how poor it was pre LVG, it has improved remarkably. I think he always had it in him, it was a confidence/philosophy issue.
I don't think it was poor, when we signed him he was using the ball well with his feet, when he was making a few mistakes for us it was almost coached out of him to avoid any unneeded pressure.

Sylar

He was brilliant when we signed him, then it dropped last season for some reason, and now its calm and confidence passing (rather than hoofing). Brilliant stuff.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think it was poor, when we signed him he was using the ball well with his feet, when he was making a few mistakes for us it was almost coached out of him to avoid any unneeded pressure.
I agree with that. It was definitely coached out of him which was bitterly disappointing. So glad Moyes went, I honestly think his distribution wouldn't have got this good unless a guy like LVG who emphasises possession was put in charge.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It is excellent. His ball control is also fantastic. Hoek and van Gaal deserve praise.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's a big factor why he was signed in the first place. Another Van der Sar.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I do think he could have done better for Liverpool's goal, he's such an outstanding keeper. Best in the world.

Trizy

I do think he could have done better for Liverpool's goal, he's such an outstanding keeper. Best in the world.
I missed the game but after reading posts and watching highlights it seems to have come off Jones studs.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There was one pass today when he was 30 yards from goal sweeping up, and instead of playing a safe long punt up the pitch he drilled a low 50-yard pass into the feet of one of our attackers, taking half the Liverpool team out of the game in the process. Genuinely one of the best passes in the game.

Not quite at Neuer's level but catching up in that regard remarkably quickly.

Spark

Was saying to my mate earlier - we've replaced Paul Scholes with De Gea.

When he charged the ball down and just pinged it up to Fellaini (I think), it was just another magical pass in a long series of magical passes over the last couple seasons.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
His kicking is marvellous. Watch other games and see how many times the goalie hoofs it aimlessly out of play and de Gea will most of the time get a decent clearance or decent pass up to one of our attackers.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I missed the game but after reading posts and watching highlights it seems to have come off Jones studs.
Ah apologies. If that was the case, then fair enough.

But yeah, his kicking really is superb. Incredibly accurate.

Skills

Snitch
Van Gaal's work this. Think working with Valdes would've helped as well who's terrific with the ball at his feet.

Edit: Didn't see it today, but his throwing has improved massively this season as well. I've seen him clear it out close to the half way line a few times this season with a pin point throw.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Please sign that contract David.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I agree with that. It was definitely coached out of him which was bitterly disappointing. So glad Moyes went, I honestly think his distribution wouldn't have got this good unless a guy like LVG who emphasises possession was put in charge.
Exactly, Moyes' typically cautious approach meant he wasn't allowing DDG to show what he had with ball at feet.

Theonas

Scout
One thing I noticed today and this season is general is that he's more confident coming out to catch crosses or passes. I thought that was a weakness of his in the past as he could look a bit too timid and leave his defenders under pressure.

SalfordRed1960

I feel this merits its own discussion.

The guys distribution is absolutely fantastic. A lot has been made about Fellainis brilliant aerial domination, but I find it incredible to see how De Gea manages to pick him out with long kicks. It's a quality that is often overlooked in GKs - and indeed with DDG he gets heaps of praise for his shot stopping, but his distribution and passing rarely seems to be mentioned.

He is cool under pressure, composed and accurate with both his long and short passing.

For the love of god get him signed up Woody!
Silly me, I read the OP and thought you were talking about Skrtel kicking him,duh.

Raw

Yeah I've thought the same too. Almost every single one of his long range kicks found a United player. In every game I usually compare the distribution between De Gea and the opposition keeper, and De Gea's constantly out matches the opponent.

He's world class and he's only going to get better. It's absolutely essential that we keep him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was brilliant when we signed him, then it dropped last season for some reason.
Yeah, I was going to say this. I was notably impressed with his distribution when we first got him, then it went downhill a bit.

Decent vision. Lets put him in midfield.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's David, you know...

Hard to believe it's not Scholes!

His long passes were awesome today.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
It's no wonder Valdes hasn't had a sniff yet. Neuer who?

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking......I couldn't pull off that beard/shaved sides look. I wouldn't know where to start shaving and I'd just end up looking like a twat.

Oh, was there a match on today?

Ricardo de la Vega

Funny that isn't it...

A lot of our problems have been a result of one years utterly crap coaching. Its taken LVG this long to sort it out and get the players playing with some confidence and freedom - as well as having out-coached some of the crap traits that Moyes and his staff instilled.

Cina

His distribution quality is the closest I've seen to VdS since .. VdS!

m1y2

I love his positive goalkeeping.. He was out maybe four times from his goal and almost always found his man, we scored a goal after he "cleared" to fellaini who won it for Herrera. I love him, and I also like like we use him in the play, City were hunting the ball and couldn't catch it. I love this. I was criticizing it a lot last years under Fergie and under Moyes... we were always hoofing the ball first. Right now we are patient in our build-up from the back and if it's too much we can always use Fellaini. I love what's going on recently. I love life hahaha

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It was notably excellent today. Looked incredibly confident.

Red Comet

Exactly, Moyes' typically cautious approach meant he wasn't allowing DDG to show what he had with ball at feet.
To be fair, Moyes didn't exactly coach it out of him - The cautious approach already started under Sir Alex, after De Gea's first season with us. It was meant to put De Gea under less pressure considering the negative press and attention he was getting.

MDFC Manager

Sensational kicking by the lad. You also have to credit Fellaini because you need him at the end of those kicks to make it work

Dion

He's fantastic but has the odd bad one every now and again. Still not as consistent as VdS's was.

Drainy

Improved a lot, but it's also more effective to direct it up to Fellaini in the middle third than to Valencia out wide all the time like Moyes instructed him to last season