De Gea's Kicking

Mali_Zeus

I'm a bit wierd, cant watch the whole game when I'm too nervous so when Aguero ( was it? ) went on to catch Phil's ball to DDG I quickly changed the channel cause I panicked, I saw DDG trying to kick it. When I changed it back I realised we scored a goal. :)

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Its so good that it really does need its own thread. Absolutely brilliant today. Nearly always fantastic.

In the age of the sweeper keeper, its brilliant to gave In his locker. He's basically a 3rd centre back and a play making canter back at that. It gets Jones and co out of trouble

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's impeccable... He got better every year but you have to say, with Hoek or whoever the goalkeeper coach is he's brilliant all around. A lot more confident in catching instead of punching, his kicking has gone up many levels since last season and finally his sweeping which was a bit of a weak point at the start is now excellent as well. Best keeper in the world.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The only thing Van der Sar was better at was his ball control and his comfort in possession, but for my money De Gea is already notably better at initiating attacks and delivering really decisive passes. Van der Sar oozed composure like no other but his distribution wasn't at the level of De Gea or Neuer, IMO, and it'd be romanticising him to suggest he was. His distribution was very good no doubt, but De Gea's right now is really top level.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ive noticed recently his starting position is much more positive. He knows it's Jones playing the back pass so being sold short is usually odds on.

wiz4231

Sublime. WC Football player. He's not just a GK, he is apart of our philosophy, it starts with him at the back.
Credit to Van Gaal, Frans Hoek and Valdes, all have had a part to play. Sign him up....

Raw

I said it before. When you compare the distribution between him and an opposition goalkeeper, De Gea's quality in his distribution really shines. I've yet to see a keeper who can do it better than De Gea.

Even when under pressure he manages to find a United player.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
De Gea's distribution was one of his biggest strengths in Atletico to be fair. As a general rule, almost all Spanish goalkeepers are groomed in a way where they are very composed in possession and comfortable with the ball at their feet (oftentimes to avert danger), so much so that they can be the 11th outfield player of sorts (like Valdes in his prime for Barcelona). Feel like the last 4 seasons have been part of a gradual stripping down and reconfiguration process for David. Maybe this is the next big step in his evolution ?

Under Steele and Woods, he worked on the details of his fundamentals and physique, became exponentially sturdier and resilient to aerial balls and shots from distance to fend off the bombardment he has had to face, things of that nature. But his ball skills and distribution visibly regressed as he was asked to punt the ball out than taking a more calculated and methodical approach.

Now under the guidance of Hoek and Van Gaal (who coached up VDS) and in a possession heavy system as opposed to a more counterattacking setup, he is kind of revisiting his roots and polishing the remaining weaknesses in his game. A lot of people (perhaps even justifiably so) were concerned with the constant change at the goalkeeping coach position but apparently, De Gea seems is picking up the positives from each of them. Training with Valdes is an invaluable add-on too IMO. Squad additions often go unnoticed, but having someone with his winning pedigree, ability on the ball, leadership and command of the box will only help De Gea take him game further. Would be the perfect amalgamation of two different approaches to goalkeeping.

SirAF

Ageist
Fantastic kicking. Today it was also extra noticable how good he's become at coming off his line to sweep up :drool: Most important signing of the summer.

Dante

Average bang
He had 72.2% passing accuracy for this match. That's better than 6 of City's outfield players today!

Sylar

Id love to know about his catching too. He seems to catch more than punch as well. Overall he just keeps getting better and better.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The only thing Van der Sar was better at was his ball control and his comfort in possession, but for my money De Gea is already notably better at initiating attacks and delivering really decisive passes. Van der Sar oozed composure like no other but his distribution wasn't at the level of De Gea or Neuer, IMO, and it'd be romanticising him to suggest he was. His distribution was very good no doubt, but De Gea's right now is really top level.
VDS distribution when he first came to us was just as good, but it slowly went downhill over the years. Same thing happened with De Gea, his distribution was fantastic when he first joined us but it slowly got worse.

I don't think we can blame Moyes for De Gea's distribution not being as good last season. The same thing happened under Fergie himself, with both De Gea and VDS.

LVG obviously puts more of an emphasis on goalkeepers distribution and we're seeing De Gea step back up to the mark over the course of the season.

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
I'm a bit wierd, cant watch the whole game when I'm too nervous so when Aguero ( was it? ) went on to catch Phil's ball to DDG I quickly changed the channel cause I panicked, I saw DDG trying to kick it. When I changed it back I realised we scored a goal. :)

:lol:

I'm like that every match, since I don't go to many now. But what's the point? I have no idea. I just get too tense and have to flick.

I saw more match time on TV last season than fro ages, as I was just slumped there, expecting us to be shit.

Mali_Zeus

:lol:

I'm like that every match, since I don't go to many now. But what's the point? I have no idea. I just get too tense and have to flick.

I saw more match time on TV last season than fro ages, as I was just slumped there, expecting us to be shit.
Haha, similar, last year I was nervous at the beginning but as the season wore on and we were shit after shit I watched out of pure masochism. I knew we couldnt get any better so I said to myself what the hell I might as well watch it.
This year I dont know when I watched the whole game without switching channel. I think its partly like that cause of the last year trauma and partly cause I'm just like that. :) Its the same when Croatia plays in the WC or EC, if I somewhere where I cant switch the channel (big screen in the open or at friend's hous) I just walk around or close my ears not to hear anyhing. :D
There's no point in any of that. But I think I'll watch Chelsea game in full. :)