Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

Despite Henderson's stupid comments, I think the club didn't handle his situation properly, yes, no one is guaranteed a No.1 spot, but he suffered from Covid, once he was healthy and fit to play, he should've at least been given a chance to prove himself for 2-3 games, or rotate him with De Gea for 10 games and see who does better, outfield players usually can get chances to play, but it is really tough for a GK to earn a spot, and what about Ralf promising him to play FA Cup game vs Villa, then choosing De Gea!! that's is an appalling treatment of player especially a backup GK, if you do not trust your backup GK, then do not promise him a cup game.
One would assume that the managers are looking at both the keepers in the training and going with whom they think is the better choice. Unless of course we think that the managers were either forced by the management to pick the costlier one or were just biased a**holes.

OmarUnited4ever

One would assume that the managers are looking at both the keepers in the training and going with whom they think is the better choice. Unless of course we think that the managers were either forced by the management to pick the costlier one or were just biased a**holes.
Agreed, training matters, but I believe honesty is key here, as I said earlier, DDG, even though he is probably the highest paid GK in Europe, DDG is not as good as Allison, Ederson or Neuer, so Henderson wanted to compete here, but was never given any chances to do so, if the managers (Ole & Ralf) thought he was not good enough to even compete, then I think that should have been communicated to him clearly and he should have been told that he is here as a backup, Romero for example accepted the backup role when he joined us, but Henderson made it clear he always wanted to be No.1, and Ole promised him that too, so he is at least owed a chance to compete and not be totally ignored.

I must reiterate that my argument is about the club's handling of Henderson, I still think Henderson is stupid to say what he said publicly.

Fridge chutney

I may be completely wrong here but wasn't De Gea (statistically) one of the worst goalkeepers in the Premier League in the second half of the season?

I thought I read a breakdown about how his shot saving % was atrocious for the final couple of months (added to his overall weakness at sweeping / claiming crosses etc) after having an amazing start to 21/22.
Even if true, he was one of the best in the league in the first half of the year, and Henderson has been by and large inferior to him throughout most of their respective careers.

https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/epl-goalie-rankings-2020

It also does neither validates nor justifies Henderson's ridiculous and unprofessional interview. The club need to sell him after his loan deal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I can't believe that Dean Henderson would say that he didn't want ETH to see him play out of fear that he kept him. How can he justify such arrogance? This nobody had only proved himself at shit clubs like Sheffield United and Shrewsbury. He should be honoured to be no 2 to a 4 time Sir Matt Busby award winner who happened to have won an EPL title, a UEFA cup and 2 European Championships (U17 and U21). Instead he was expecting a first team run simply because some failed manager who brought two EPL clubs down had promised it to him. FFS DDG had played some of the best football in a long long time. There's no way Dean Henderson could put him on the bench.

That's what happens when the club, the manager (or whatever Ole was) and the fans overrate players. They start believing in their own hype.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Poor quotes by him but I was also bit disappointed not to see him more last season.

Anyway, looks like this relationship is done so it’s time to be moved on.

Esquire

Poor quotes by him but I was also bit disappointed not to see him more last season.

Anyway, looks like this relationship is done so it’s time to be moved on.
DDG was our player of the season. He single-handedly kept us in a lot of games and saved us points. Henderson has a lot of potential but seems to possess an ego which far outstrips what he has actually done. It’s a good thing we have a long contract as leverage (his contract expires in 2025). He can go to another club and I’m sure he will do his best at Forest this year so his value should increase. We have had too many players thinking they are bigger than the club.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
DDG was our player of the season. He single-handedly kept us in a lot of games and saved us points. Henderson has a lot of potential but seems to possess an ego which far outstrips what he has actually done. It’s a good thing we have a long contract as leverage (his contract expires in 2025). He can go to another club and I’m sure he will do his best at Forest this year so his value should increase. We have had too many players thinking they are bigger than the club.
De Gea makes the defense play a certain way and length so I’m not his biggest fan.

Do I think Henderson should have straight knocked De Gea to the bench once his COVID got better?

No.

But at the same time i can see why he would be pissed off at not even getting a single chance vs Villa in an FA Cup.

We used to let Romero play the whole Europa league for example whilst De Gea was our PL Gk.

Esquire

De Gea makes the defense play a certain way and length so I’m not his biggest fan.

Do I think Henderson should have straight knocked De Gea to the bench once his COVID got better?

No.

But at the same time i can see why he would be pissed off at not even getting a single chance vs Villa in an FA Cup.

We used to let Romero play the whole Europa league for example whilst De Gea was our PL Gk.
Don’t disagree with you that he should have been given a chance. And I certainly feel that OGS was just hoarding players and promising opportunities to him and others which he couldn’t keep. My beef with Henderson is that he is clearly an arrogant person who thinks he is better than he really is.

Olecurls99

Yeah amazing how we are criticizing a player for wanting to actually play football rather than sit on the bench and collect a paycheck. I really don't see what is wrong with what he says here. it is pretty clear that he expected to get gametime last season, and only lost the spot he previously won due to injury and illness. He also never was given any sort of chance to win it back. He had random cup games here and there and that was it. Why wouldn't he be incredibly frustrated? He was then denied a loan in January and the proceeded to play one game the rest of the season from there. I would be disappointed in him if he wasn't extremely pissed off on how last season was handled.
Fair enough but don't go blabbing in the press about it. You're still under United's employ. Deeply unprofessional

Olecurls99

matt23

"A source close to the dressing room" will be something Nottingham Forest supporters read a lot more of this season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agreed, training matters, but I believe honesty is key here, as I said earlier, DDG, even though he is probably the highest paid GK in Europe, DDG is not as good as Allison, Ederson or Neuer, so Henderson wanted to compete here, but was never given any chances to do so, if the managers (Ole & Ralf) thought he was not good enough to even compete, then I think that should have been communicated to him clearly and he should have been told that he is here as a backup, Romero for example accepted the backup role when he joined us, but Henderson made it clear he always wanted to be No.1, and Ole promised him that too, so he is at least owed a chance to compete and not be totally ignored.

I must reiterate that my argument is about the club's handling of Henderson, I still think Henderson is stupid to say what he said publicly.
But Henderson started the season with covid which, by all accounts, he took a long time to fully recover from. At which point DDG was playing well enough to not deserve to be dropped. I just think Henderson’s a very very stupid person. He must know that goalkeeper is a special position, where you can’t have two players rotating in and out depending who’s playing best at the time. His fate was sealed by missing the start of last season. Bad luck but there you go.

To somehow fail to grasp this and piss off the new manager by claiming he didn’t want to train in front of him makes that one of the thickest interviews I’ve ever read. The guy’s a half-wit and he’s not particularly good either. We need to get rid.

OmarUnited4ever

But Henderson started the season with covid which, by all accounts, he took a long time to fully recover from. At which point DDG was playing well enough to not deserve to be dropped. I just think Henderson’s a very very stupid person. He must know that goalkeeper is a special position, where you can’t have two players rotating in and out depending who’s playing best at the time. His fate was sealed by missing the start of last season. Bad luck but there you go.

To somehow fail to grasp this and piss off the new manager by claiming he didn’t want to train in front of him makes that one of the thickest interviews I’ve ever read. The guy’s a half-wit and he’s not particularly good either. We need to get rid.

Oh I won't argue his comments, they are really bad and make him look like a silly boy.

But, he was not treated fairly, Ralf also promised him a cup game and then selected DDG, very unfair to Henderson who's dying to get minutes.

and let's be honest, DDG isn't as good as Allison, so, even if he was playing well enough, he can be dropped in cup games for example or in easy PL ties like at home to Norwich, to see if Henderson can show something.

JB7

sense of entitlement
That doesn’t make any sense. You’ve invented him supposedly seeing himself as a “top 3” goalkeeper in the league and then called him entitled because of it. Very odd.
And even with that dismal performance, his deputy could not knock him off to seize the job, because he was busy moaning at the broken gentleman's agreement at the start of the season.
Well in fairness that’s on the manager but if you’re sat on the benching seeing that and not being given an opportunity you’d be fuming, particularly if the club won’t let you go out on loan to play football.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Oh I won't argue his comments, they are really bad and make him look like a silly boy.

But, he was not treated fairly, Ralf also promised him a cup game and then selected DDG, very unfair to Henderson who's dying to get minutes.

and let's be honest, DDG isn't as good as Allison, so, even if he was playing well enough, he can be dropped in cup games for example or in easy PL ties like at home to Norwich, to see if Henderson can show something.
Yes, DDG isn’t as good as Allison. But the United goalkeeping coaches seem to think Henderson isn’t as good as DDG. An opinion I can’t disagree with based on what they’ve both produced in a United shirt. And I say this as someone who thinks we badly need a better keeper than DDG.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

It's not like there were a lot of cup games though. In the FA Cup we played Villa and Middlesbrough, in the league cup we played West Ham in September when Henderson was still recovering from Covid. That's it. How much of a difference was that going to make for him really?

We also don't know to what extent his discontent, rumoured leaking to the press or anything else factored into the two managers not being inclined to play him. All we know is that they didn't want to.

OmarUnited4ever

Yes, DDG isn’t as good as Allison. But the United goalkeeping coaches seem to think Henderson isn’t as good as DDG. An opinion I can’t disagree with based on what they’ve both produced in a United shirt. And I say this as someone who thinks we badly need a better keeper than DDG.
No one knows what is the opinion of the GK coaches regarding Henderson or DDG, but we know Ole and Ralf persisted with DDG, and I do not think they were wrong in doing so, my point is that Henderson was told something and something else was done, my expectations are that Managers must be honest, especially when it comes to GK spot, and tell the players if there is an established and undisputed No.1 or tell that the position is up for grabs, that is all I am saying.

OmarUnited4ever

It's not like there were a lot of cup games though. In the FA Cup we played Villa and Middlesbrough, in the league cup we played West Ham in September when Henderson was still recovering from Covid. That's it. How much of a difference was that going to make for him really?

We also don't know to what extent his discontent, rumoured leaking to the press or anything else factored into the two managers not being inclined to play him. All we know is that they didn't want to.
Fair enough on the fact that not much of cup games to play, but still, it is the principle for me at least, and I do not care what reasons they had not to play him, what I care about is that they weren't honest with and Henderson expected a manager to be honest with him, and I think that is a fair expectation.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On top of that Henderson's team mates voted De Gea as their player of the season as well. So there can't have been that much sentiment from within the squad for him to start ahead of De Gea either.

At which point Henderson might have reflected that he simply needs to improve as a goalkeeper rather than feeling sorry for himself.

Oranges038

He expects to just be handed the number one jersey when DDG is still there? Which clown gave him that promise anyway?
Ole....because of that whole season where DDG was utter shit and Henderson came in and the defense improved immediately. Less goals conceded, more clean sheets more wins etc.. Had he not been sick at the start of last season he would have started as no.1. That was common knowledge at the time.

But then again Ole promised a lot of players a lot of things seemingly.

I think the problem came when he was struggling to hang onto his job, results and performances were in the shitter but he was afraid to change it up, he kept relying on the same few players to try and bail him out every game. Where as the guys he supposedly promised game time to were just left on the bench, they weren't to be trusted. In the end it all failed and he ended up pissing all them lads he left on the bench off.

Renegade

Of course he won’t hand in a transfer request and lose his “loyalty” bonus.

instead he rather avoid the new manager coming in and not be involved in Pre season.

Of course he would expect us to contribute towards his loan move.

romufc

Of course he won’t hand in a transfer request and lose his “loyalty” bonus.

instead he rather avoid the new manager coming in and not be involved in Pre season.

Of course he would expect us to contribute towards his loan move.
Its fine criticising players, Dean Henderson clearly was a toxic personality last season.

However; get the information correct, Forrest are paying all his wages.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I think we all know the source of the leaks now!

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He should have been sold for 40 mil few years ago. Any competent club would have done it. But noooooo, he is academy lad, future United and England no1 etc...

And when you think how we treated Romero because of this clown....

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
"A source close to the dressing room" will be something Nottingham Forest supporters read a lot more of this season.
Unlikely, Steve Cooper works very hard on club and dressing room unity. We had a very tight dressing room last season which will be enforced by the likes of Joe Worrall and Ryan Yates this season. If he messes about he will be gone.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't understand the arguement about De Gea. Yes De Gea will need replacing sooner or later that's a fact.

However Henderson is not the answer now or anytime from what he had shown on the pitch and now of it.

He has not shown he is better than De Gea and there cannot be an arguement he should start over him.

To be honest Heaton is probably better than Henderson

Litch

Exactly. Goes to show how badly the club is being run with false promises to players.
Agree. I think Ole really exposed his inexperience as a manager and resorted to tactics that ended up backfiring on him. The unity off the pitch, is as important to it on it. The point of training is beyond fitness and it’s about proving that either you deserve to retain the shirt or someone proving they deserve to wear it. If that’s not the case, what’s the point even being at the club? I’m not surprised the dressing room turned into a shit show….

This isn’t about who is better or worse in general, it’s about honesty at that time. Can you imagine how the fan base will react if Frenkie goes to Chelsea because it was a better offer despite assurances to ETH? It’s no difference really….

Last edited:

JB7

I don't understand the arguement about De Gea. Yes De Gea will need replacing sooner or later that's a fact.

However Henderson is not the answer now or anytime from what he had shown on the pitch and now of it.

He has not shown he is better than De Gea and there cannot be an arguement he should start over him.

To be honest Heaton is probably better than Henderson
The argument for him starting over De Gea was incredibly simple. With him in goal the team conceded less goals and won more games. It was one of the few periods over the past few years where our defenders looked competent and they almost immediately forgot how to defend again as soon as De Gea was reintroduced to the team (Roma anyone?). It was no coincidence that the defenders looked more assured with him behind them given he was more than twice as likely to deal with crosses into the box and four times more likely to deal with balls in behind the defence. Even his shot stopping stats were better in the 20/21 season where they both played, both in terms of saves % and PSxG.

You don't have to rate Henderson, or think he's good enough to be the long term number 1, to acknowledge the arguments for him starting last season at first choice. Every performance metric with him in the team was better. People go ape shit over De Gea making these top saves when it is quite literally the one aspect of goalkeeping that he's good at, well last season, when he was supposedly "back to his best" he was +6.7 PSxG and in Henderson's full season at Sheffield United he was +5.2 PSxG. Both are very very high. So it's not even as though he was far off De Gea at the only thing De Gea is good at.

And I don't even rate Henderson that highly for goodness sake. The numbers show that a goalkeeper who is relatively average across the board is better for the team than a goalkeeper who excels at one thing but is useless at others - kind of like what we're seeing with Dalot and Wan Bissaka at right back.

Gums

There’s something horribly off about keepers that have been called up for England in the past years. Arrogance and cockiness reaching heights way beyond their capabilities. I know goalies are a different breed, but they almost all rub me the wrong way. I’m a bit disappointed that Henderson is taking the same route. Even if promises were made, he didn’t convince anybody that he was better than de Gea. I’d hate us playing weaker players based upon promises made.

NotQuiteManc

The more he opens his mouth, the more his behavior resembles someone like Pickford or Ramsdale more than, let's say Schmeichel or Buffon.

Jev

If that's what he was told by the manager, it's not unreasonable that he's annoyed.

No benefit to airing this dirty laundry in public though.
I'd say someone like Lingard probably has more reason to be angry at Ole's unkept promises than Henderson.

Even if Ole promised him he'd be no. 1, things changed when he got a bad bout of COVID. De Gea played, played well, and throughout the season there was never any reason to consider changing goalies. That's just what happens in football. It's quite possible that Ole did intend to start the season with Henderson as first-choice, in fact I believe there were press stories about that.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Henderson is a cnut, always has been. So glad him, Lingard and Pogba are gone

Not too many spoilt brats left, hope they also leave if they disappoint again this season. Looking at Maguire, Rashford etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.