Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Talent and ambition should be rewarded, plus he's 23 so he's not too young for at least a small run of PL matches.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Fair enough. We had the same issues with Ben Foster too. On loan he was brilliant, one of the best young keepers but we know what happened when he got the chance at United.

If we manage to sell DDG then Henderson would be great knowing he will make mistakes in the season. He is still young for a keeper and needs to get the confidence of United No. 1

However; selling DDG is almost impossible, would rather see him go out on loan one more season then come back completely ready.
It’s understandable to be unsure if he can make the step up but I have no doubts about him. If you don’t give him the opportunity I can’t see him waiting too long, no matter how much of a fan he is. It’s crazy that de Gea was given a mega new contract when Henderson is ready and waiting to take over.

romufc

It’s understandable to be unsure if he can make the step up but I have no doubts about him. If you don’t give him the opportunity I can’t see him waiting too long, no matter how much of a fan he is. It’s crazy that de Gea was given a mega new contract when Henderson is ready and waiting to take over.
Well that is where we have found ourselves. I would love to give Henderson the chance but not when De Gea is earning 360k a week on the bench.

I am sure alot of PL teams will take him on loan for one more year then we can give him the jersey.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Well that is where we have found ourselves. I would love to give Henderson the chance but not when De Gea is earning 360k a week on the bench.

I am sure alot of PL teams will take him on loan for one more year then we can give him the jersey.
Having England’s number 1 (hopefully) out on loan would be something. It’s just convincing Henderson of that plan when a new contract is suggested, and the problem of getting rid of de Gea.

romufc

Having England’s number 1 (hopefully) out on loan would be something. It’s just convincing Henderson of that plan when a new contract is suggested, and the problem of getting rid of de Gea.
I see what you mean. We have to sort the De Gea issue out asap.

mancan92

So you can criticise DDG for flapping at crosses but when Henderson ends up in no mans land I am being funny?

So like you said earlier, he is on par with Allison, can you show me how you come to this conclusion?

Also he made the same mistakes in the championship. The Liverpool goal was not a one off, he conceded the same type of goal last season too.

The Chelsea one is a mistake. there is no two ways about it.
Because its not the same at all. None of those crosses you would expect a keeper to get to.

I didn't say he was on par ability wise. I said he is on par in terms of making mistakes. Both have mad 1 clear mistake leading to a go. Which is in line with every other top goal keeper.

Delano

De Gea's strengths though are not really suited to an older keeper. Though all keepers are, he is probably more reliant on his reaction speed because of his weaknesses (commanding and corners etc.). It is evident to see that he has lost some of his reaction speed; he is not as fast as he used to be.

The problem with De Gea is that he is neither commanding, great at corners, nor a calming influence. At 29, you would expect him to be better at this stuff, which are major benefits of having a more experienced keeper. I do not see the benefit of keeping him for longer if he is not going to provide these; his reaction time is only going to get worse.
Thing is I think he's talented enough to readjust. He has great shot stopping fundamentals and a proven track record.

Buffon, VDS, Casillas all had blips in their career and readjusted. Although I would agree, my only question is weather his lack of leadership means he may not have the mentality to do it. I certainly think he's talented enough.

meamth

I think people need to respect DDG more, he earned that contract, he played and stayed for the bollocks the club has given to him.

He could've left us, but the fax machine saved us. You lot should be grateful, if not because of DDGs saves over the years, United would have been in worse positions.

Feck his wages, he deserved it. Now, regardless of Henderson's form, we should and give some time and faith that he will become great again.

hmchan

Cutting away hype and the fact he is a United fan, what are the actually reasons people think this guy is good enough and able to cope with being United's number 1?
Cutting away hype and those great saves made 4-5 years ago, what are the actually reasons people think de Gea is now good enough to remain as United's no. 1?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Cutting away hype and the fact he is a United fan, what are the actually reasons people think this guy is good enough and able to cope with being United's number 1?
The reasons are because pro managers and scouts think he is good enough. Ole just the other day said he was a United and England #1 in the making. The Sheffield United manager thinks the same and there's reports that there's a long list of clubs who want to sign him. And you can bet their scouts have recommended him highly.

I don't know alot about him but he's rated highly by people who are actually involved in the game it seems. And that's the reason people are excited. Tom Heaton was a fantastic shot stopper for Burnley in the EPL and their fans credited Heaton with an extra 9 points a season and none of our fans wanted him to be #1 here.

passing-wind

Why are people putting so much emphasis on the pressure ? We are not the United of old we have become a top 6 team which has resembled our situation in recent years. Sheffield have been within touching distance of us all season. Chris Wilder is also seemingly more aggressive as opposed to Ole.

I'd imagine that Henderson is sustaining a decent amount of pressure at Sheffield, I don't see how the conversation would differ between him and someone like Greenwood when it comes to expectation. Mason has more hype if anything given the level of his status in the youth ranks etc he's acclimatized well and doesn't seem phased.

We are in no position as a club competitively to have to worry about pressure because as it stands we are contending for the most basic honours going. If this is prime 2008/09 campaign then the rationale is completely justified.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Why are people putting so much emphasis on the pressure ? We are not the United of old we have become a top 6 team which has resembled our situation in recent years. Sheffield have been within touching distance of us all season. Chris Wilder is also seemingly more aggressive as opposed to Ole.

I'd imagine that Henderson is sustaining a decent amount of pressure at Sheffield, I don't see how the conversation would differ between him and someone like Greenwood when it comes to expectation. Mason has more hype if anything given the level of his status in the youth ranks etc he's acclimatized well and doesn't seem phased.

We are in no position as a club competitively to have to worry about pressure because as it stands we are contending for the most basic honours going. If this is prime 2008/09 campaign then the rationale is completely justified.
I think there is a lot of pressure on Henderson, or at least there has been. Yes he’s not performed on the biggest stage for Man Utd but we were in a race for automatic promotion last season and he wasn’t fazed by it, a lot of young keepers could’ve folded under pressure when it’s promotion on the line. The championship is a very difficult league too, a lot of people disregard it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
square root of feck all then.
You're the one that is adding the square root of feck all here. Mourinho worked with him and has his own independent scouts that work with him in the EPL which is well documented.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A number of concerns with Henderson.

He has similarities with De Gea. Great reflexes, prefers to stay on his line. Not very commanding of his box. This is very likely due to sharing goalkeeping coaches. His distribution is that of a typically coached goalkeeper we have seen over the years. He prefers to kick out randomly rather than look for the pass to keep possession the likes we have witnessed with Alison and Ederson. If we're looking at playing from the back, the passing ability is a must-have quality in any top goalkeeper.

Cutting away hype and those great saves made 4-5 years ago, what are the actually reasons people think de Gea is now good enough to remain as United's no. 1?
I asked what makes people think Henderson is good enough to be United's no. 1?

Even if De Gea is deemed no longer good enough - is Henderson the best keeper out there to replace him?

The reasons are because pro managers and scouts think he is good enough. Ole just the other day said he was a United and England #1 in the making. The Sheffield United manager thinks the same and there's reports that there's a long list of clubs who want to sign him. And you can bet their scouts have recommended him highly.

I don't know alot about him but he's rated highly by people who are actually involved in the game it seems. And that's the reason people are excited. Tom Heaton was a fantastic shot stopper for Burnley in the EPL and their fans credited Heaton with an extra 9 points a season and none of our fans wanted him to be #1 here.
He might go on and be a United and England no. 1 - which would be great. But I will remain very cautious until I see it happen.

I remember Fergie saying that Ben Foster would be United and England no. 1 - he bottled it when he got his opportunity at United (also after very successful loans and big reputation).

Players can't always handle the pressure at United, despite having all the talent (we've seen it so many times). So I don't see it as something people should talk about with any certainty.

I think De Gea deserves some loyalty too.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m still not convinced. You’re gonna flame me for this but I’m getting Ben Foster Watford vibes. I’d loan him out to Sheffield or another PL team for one more year & evaluate then. If DDG continues to underperform I have full confidence in Sergio stepping up.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think people need to respect DDG more, he earned that contract, he played and stayed for the bollocks the club has given to him.

He could've left us, but the fax machine saved us. You lot should be grateful, if not because of DDGs saves over the years, United would have been in worse positions.

Feck his wages, he deserved it. Now, regardless of Henderson's form, we should and give some time and faith that he will become great again.
This really.

He carried us for long periods and deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt. People calling for his head need to show him some respect. I keep seeing people talk about the points he's cost us but what about the countless saves he's made to win us points that nobody talks about. We have one of the best defensive records in the league and he's absolutely part of that.

Djemba-Djemba

This really.

He carried us for long periods and deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt. People calling for his head need to show him some respect. I keep seeing people talk about the points he's cost us but what about the countless saves he's made to win us points that nobody talks about. We have one of the best defensive records in the league and he's absolutely part of that.
I honestly can't remember many games this season where at the end of the game I've looked back and thought De Gea made saves to win us a point or points there.

The last time I can remember him putting in a classic De Gea performance was away to Spurs last season, since then he's made some very good saves of course as most top flight keepers do but I would bet he's made a lot more terrible mistakes than incredible saves in the last 18 months.

Can you name any?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He might go on and be a United and England no. 1 - which would be great. But I will remain very cautious until I see it happen.

I remember Fergie saying that Ben Foster would be United and England no. 1 - he bottled it when he got his opportunity at United (also after very successful loans and big reputation).

Players can't always handle the pressure at United, despite having all the talent (we've seen it so many times). So I don't see it as something people should talk about with any certainty.

I think De Gea deserves some loyalty too.
I agree with you on Henderson but I'm of the opinion we need to upgrade on De Gea regardless. And I've given my reasons on numerous occasions.

alexthelion

YOu are missing the point. If a 350k player is just sittling around collecting money, how do you think the other players will feel? How do you think he will behave after a few months of sitting around?

Its just not an easy solution as just benching him or even just ridding him.
Hopefully it would make them realise that, no matter how much they're paid, they are not automatically going to make it into the team.

alexthelion

This really.

How long do you wait to see (hope) he can regain his form? It's been 18 months and counting, he's not got better, if anything, he's got worse during that time.

SecondFig

This really.

Totally agree - De Gea hasn't been at his best, but he's far from a busted flush. Plus he's been our best and most consistent player during the post-Ferguson years - we owe him at least some loyalty.

Personally I'd like to see Henderson given another season on loan at Sheffield Utd, and then a season (21/22) with Henderson competing with De Gea for the no.1 shirt.

romufc

YOu are missing the point. If a 350k player is just sittling around collecting money, how do you think the other players will feel? How do you think he will behave after a few months of sitting around?

Its just not an easy solution as just benching him or even just ridding him.
Unfortunately, alot of fans do not understand this. It is not an easy drop De Gea situation this.

hmchan

I asked what makes people think Henderson is good enough to be United's no. 1?

Even if De Gea is deemed no longer good enough - is Henderson the best keeper out there to replace him?
No, no one is saying Henderson is the best option out there, many just think he is a feasible option. The best keepers may be Oblak, Alisson, Handanovic, Neuer, but they are not easily gettable and they cost a lot, while Henderson is already one of us and we can upgrade without extra cost.

Even an error-prone, average de Gea is capable to be United's no. 1, how come a Henderson with more clean sheets, more saves, fewer goals conceded than expected, fewer errors, less protection from the defence not good enough to be one?

romufc

Let's not over look the feck up against Leicester. And you asked a question without adding any conditions so the feck up against Lyon was a mistake.
Yes, fine he made a mistake. Dean Henderson has made more mistakes than the Liverpool one.

You have shown me a mistake Allison made in 2018. I can go back and show you Henderson's mistakes in the championship too.

Let me ask you, has Alisson made the same mistake again?

Henderson has, the Liverpool goal he conceded, he done the exact same in the championship V Leeds.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes, fine he made a mistake. Dean Henderson has made more mistakes than the Liverpool one.

You have shown me a mistake Allison made in 2018. I can go back and show you Henderson's mistakes in the championship too.

Let me ask you, has Alisson made the same mistake again?

Henderson has, the Liverpool goal he conceded, he done the exact same in the championship V Leeds.
I rate Allison higher than both of our keepers and he's also 4 years older than Henderson. Allison has even made mistakes at Roma.

Me showing you if Alisson made the same mistake again isn't the point. The point is he's a far better keeper due to his all round skillset in comparison to both our keepers. Henderson is 4 years younger though so he still has time on his side. With Alisson, Klopp can play the high line knowing he has a keeper who is fast off his line and can play sweeper keeper to a very good level. He's authoratative and commanding at dealing with high balls into the box and is a huge help to his team for those reasons and not only due to shot stopping. Whether Henderson is good enough isn't the point, the point is De Gea just isn't good enough and needs to be moved on regardless imo.

Manchester United shouldn't have a keeper who is limited and stays rooted to his spot and the quicker we move on from the timid one the better. We need a proactive keeper not a reactive one.

romufc

Whether Henderson is good enough isn't the point, the point is De Gea just isn't good enough and needs to be moved on regardless imo.
My point is how does everyone think Henderson is better? He might turn out to be a brilliant goal keeper, but at the moment he makes mistakes.

Secondly, if it was easy as you have put it then I have no problem in giving Henderson the chance. However, unlike majority of those on here, I am not living in a fantasy.

How do you propose to move DDG on? please provide realistic options.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My point is how does everyone think Henderson is better? He might turn out to be a brilliant goal keeper, but at the moment he makes mistakes.

Secondly, if it was easy as you have put it then I have no problem in giving Henderson the chance. However, unlike majority of those on here, I am not living in a fantasy.

De Gea will have to take a pay cut because I don't see anyone giving him parity. He could dig his heels in and carry on picking his pay cheque from the bench (if such a scenario arose) but I'm hoping he'll have pride and look to move on for first team opportunities.

Andy_Cole

DDG has made the most mistakes in the league since 2018, plus he’s on £400k.
Even if Hendo is the same level, we’d cut £350k of wages.