Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Alabaster Codify7

hmmm, there is that.

Just don’t think the net gains we get from Dave are really all that, any more.

I don't disagree, but we're a bit screwed. There's no way we can justify paying him 350k a week or whatever to be our #2, and who is going to buy him? Can't even think of someone that could afford him who actually needs a new GK that badly, on such wages. PSG? I don't know. Either way, it's a conundrum, but I can see Henderson leaving.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don't underestimate the pressure difference between starting for Utd and Sheffield though.
Maybe in the past when we are still serious title contenders, the pressure is definitely high. But not anymore in recent years I guess, where we could only managed 6th place finish, and spend most of the time hovering around at 5th to 8th place. I don’t think pressure is really an issue anymore.

Denis' cuff

I don't disagree, but we're a bit screwed. There's no way we can justify paying him 350k a week or whatever to be our #2, and who is going to buy him? Can't even think of someone that could afford him who actually needs a new GK that badly, on such wages. PSG? I don't know. Either way, it's a conundrum, but I can see Henderson leaving.
Well, it definitely is not straightforward. Firstly, I suspect the alleged 350k is a bit strong and in view of us paying a relatively modest amount for him, we’ve probably had our money’s worth. In view of which, if we went easy on the transfer fee we’d be offloading maybe around 12m per annum and still netting a fee. If you look at the merits of two good alternatives that we have, and weigh the net pluses and minuses against Dave’s, I really don’t think there’s much in it. Maybe it hasn’t come to this yet but it is far from knee jerk. The mistakes aside, he is seriously lacking elsewhere and I can’t see that changing. Romero has been very steady and Henderson....... ? We’ll never know unless we give him a go but I don’t think the risks are that great and the financial gains can be pu to good use

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Absolutely this.

He's just signed a new 6-year deal, making him one of the highest-paid players in the world.

There's no way he's leaving us any time soon.

We have to remember Henderson is, in goalkeeper terms, still just a kid. He'll be on loan again next season or our no.2.

He will have signed that new deal last Summer (extension till 2022) with some sort of plan in place.
It will be ok for him to spend next 1-2 seasons loaning out to other club for first team football. But after that, he will be 24 with 3 years of top flight experience. If he has abit of ambition, he wouldnt want to extend his contract without guarantee 1st team football here. I assume he will want to play for big club with good contract.

peridigm

How is Henderson's communication and passing?

Because all De Gea has going for him, and it's all he has ever had, is shot-stopping.
Has always been a critique of mine with him. He does not command his box well. Rarely comes out for balls. When he punches a ball it’s such a nervous situation because you don’t know if he’s going to be successful. Ole stated he wants strikers that are willing to break a nose to score goals. How about a keeper willing to break a nose to stop them?

Amerifan

If there’s any truth in it, maybe bad news for us. Surely Hendersen may want to go elsewhere if we couldn’t guarantee him first team football next season.
Henderson is getting first team football at Sheffield. When his contact has a year left on it a decision needs to be made. There is no benefit in selling him now.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Henderson is getting first team football at Sheffield. When his contact has a year left on it a decision needs to be made. There is no benefit in selling him now.
Not now, but next summer. His contract will be up by 2022

davidmichael

Reality is De Gea has gone from saving us 10-15 points a season to costing us at least 5 points a season since the World Cup and with Henderson having a very good season at a team with far more to do than us I think it makes sense to move De Gea on if we can find a buyer.

I think Real would be interested still if he was available and I think PSG and Juve would both definitely jump at the chance at the right price, I think we’d get £50 million for him which with his wages being off the wage bill too is a massive deal for us.

If we manage to sell Pogba and De Gea as well as Rojo and Pereira then we’re looking at around £200 million brought in through sales which would be neat enough for Sancho, Grealish and a quality defensive midfielder without really going into our set aside transfer budget too much and those three signings transform us from struggling to make top 4 to at least definite top 3 and a great platform to build from.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
It will be ok for him to spend next 1-2 seasons loaning out to other club for first team football. But after that, he will be 24 with 3 years of top flight experience. If he has abit of ambition, he wouldnt want to extend his contract without guarantee 1st team football here. I assume he will want to play for big club with good contract.
Yeah absolutely.

I got De Gea's contract wrong, I thought it was much longer term but it is until 2023 (with the option to extend for a further year).

So Summer 2021 it needs to be sorted - do we sell De Gea or make Henderson our no.1 and offer him a long-term deal.

We've got next season to assess the situation. A lot can change in 18 months.

norm87cro

Ddg best days are not behind him. He is only 29. That's still 7 to 8 seasons in keeper years. But he is clearly not happy and a potential move to Madrid, PSG or even Italy would do him (and us) a world of good. I said it earlier that I don't know if Henderson is the solution but he deserves a shot. And we could surley buy a player or two with the Ddg money

Phil Osophy

We're going to be in a pickle this summer because Henderson seems to have the arrogance (not meaning this as an insult) to demand a permanent move unless he's guaranteed a starting spot. Especially because he'll view DDG as having cost us a fair few games, as backing his cause. I can see us selling him in the summer, whether we regret that, who knows.
You could be right, but Henderson always says he's mad to make it at United. Maybe a more careless keeper in that sense would press to get a starting role or move elsewhere with no regrets, but he seems determined to succeed here and that could mean taking the routes you're being offered.

Accepting that challenge would be the first step and a sign of determination to make it here actually, because if he demands the role for free after one season in the PL then he's starting badly for me. But I think the guy has balls to come here and fight with De Gea for his place, and if he doesn't make it then he can always move elsewhere, but giving it a chance before.

I don't know what the club and the staff are thinking about this, if they prefer him to play another full season at Sheff Utd or something, but if they want Henderson back next season I think the man will be here.

ROFLUTION

People need to watch Henderson more, he has mistakes in him too. He's protected by a very defensive back 3 at Sheffield.

We have problems in our team but DDG is not one of them. We need to back him, not bin him after one off season. If someone offers £40m for him then yeah sure, elsewise there's no point to it.
I really agree. Henderson has the advantage of being the jar that everyone puts their new hope in, without having seen him that much. He has mistakes in him too, and is not as good a shot-stopper.

An example was at last summer's U21 tournament. Before the tournament, he claimed he was ready to take over from De Gea. The next game for England he dropped miserably.

One have to ask if Henderson's top-level will ever reach De Gea's top level. Who's to say if Henderson is even better than Romero? (Best backup goalie in the PL)

Extend + Loan for a year more, and let's see if he reaches the very high level that De Gea can perform at.

Classical Mechanic

I think the most suitable course of action is to let him and DDG legitimately fight for the spot next year, DDG needs the kick up the backside and Henderson deserves a real shot.

ifightdragons

How is Henderson's communication and passing?

Because all De Gea has going for him, and it's all he has ever had, is shot-stopping.
Henderson's communication is top-notch. He's already a leader.
His passing is better than de Geas.

iHicksy

That is why United have lost their way, having a better team is what it is all about. Not having more sponsorship deals, being on top of forbes rich list etc. Once the team ceases to being your number one priority then you are no longer a football club and just a business.
I think the most suitable course of action is to let him and DDG legitimately fight for the spot next year, DDG needs the kick up the backside and Henderson deserves a real shot.

Yup.

This is our only option. It's a great place to be in too.

So, we can't just ship De Gea out and let Hendo have a shot because there's a big chance he might not be able to handle the pressure despite having all the talent in the world. This is a very real situation at this club, it's even harder when you're a GK because the pressure is magnified. One mistake and you've cost your team the game potentially. (e.g Foster).

So what we absolutely must do next season is bring him back and let him play in all of the cup games and Europa (or some CL games if we make it). Then we start De Gea for the prem games and if Hendo looks better in training then he gets eased in against some of the minor opposition at home games only, to begin with. If he handles the pressure and continues to look better than De Gea in training then he stays in goal. Likewise, if De Gea makes a mistake like today then he comes in.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I never thought this was going to work, but with De Gea's form I think this would be for the best. I'm sure both would accept that situation right now.

Alabaster Codify7

Also, as good as DDG has been - it is far from kneejerk to complain about the GK that has cost his team the most goals directly, since the beginning of last season. That is not an acceptable statistic for a GK. DDGs superhuman performances are dwindling now, he's been incredible in previous seasons but nowadays he's levelling out to just being 'good' while costing us games too often.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Let me get the usual accusations out of the way by making clear that this is not a personal vendetta against the player, he seems like a good professional and a decent person, this is purely about about the game of football.
It's not his fault that he's been massively overhyped by our fans and the mainstream media alike.

This mess with De Gea pretty much sums up the club at the moment, anyone with even an ounce of footballing knowledge could see this coming a mile off.
Unfortunately, the most important people in this instance, our board, clearly don't possess that ounce of knowledge.
People are comparing the decision to give De Gea a new contract to the Sanchez saga, in my opinion, this is worse, because nobody could have predicted Sanchez's sudden decline whereas De Gea's decline was far from sudden.
An entire year and a half of horrendous form is not a 'blip'.

I personally have never ever got the hype about the player.
It was a bizarre signing in the first place I thought, it's not as if he was playing really well in Spain, he'd just come off the back of conceding over 53 goals in the league for Atletico Madrid.
"He's not cut out for the physicality of the premier league, no matter how good a shot stopper he is" I thought when I first watched him, hoping I was wrong because I'm no expert.
Based on his first season, I was not wrong unfortunately.

Yes, he improved slightly the second year, but those that think we won the league because of a solid defence that year need to go back and check the stats, because we conceded over 40 league goals.
Luckily we had world class forwards to compensate back then, we don't now, but that weakness is still there and still needs fixing.
To be clear, it's pretty obvious De Gea is not the only problem, we have many others, but we need to stop skipping over the goalkeeping position like it's all sorted because of a new contract, it's not, far from it.

For me, despite being a world class shot stopper (at times) he has always been so under par at the other equally important aspects of goalkeeping to be considered anywhere near the best in the world.
It's actually baffled me for years how many people, including those paid fortunes to analyse the game, constantly overlook these other flaws and proclaim De Gea as one of the greatest ever.
My only conclusion is that we are now living in the 'YouTube clips' generation where most people don't actually sit and watch full games as much.
In these situations, it's easier for a highlight reel of good saves to mask over more technical sides of the game.
Fair enough, people have less time, I don't watch as many games as I used to either, apart from Utd matches, which I always make an effort to watch (as painful as it is right now).
As I said, anyone who knows even a little about the game and regularly watched Utd over the years will surely have noted the amount of goals we have conceded as a direct result of De Gea's inability to come out off his line and command HIS box.
It's not as if the recent goals conceded against Everton and Man City are one offs, this has been happening week in week out since the day he signed for the club, he may as well not be there when a cross comes in.
Another problem for us when it comes to stats etc., is that goals like the ones conceded against City/Everton don't necessarily get recorded as a direct goalkeeping error because you have to look a bit deeper than the clearly obvious recent blunder against Watford, to notice it.
My point being, there has been literally dozens of goals over the years we've conceded like that but yet they don't get recorded as goalkeeping errors.
As I said, when this is factored in, it really is truly baffling to me how De Gea is put up on a pedestal as one of the greatest keepers ever, and our saviour the past decade.

On that note of him being our 'saviour', what did we/he actually achieve in this time?
Is anyone really that bothered about finishing 6th instead of 10th?
So these 4/5 seasons when he was our talisman, our player of the year and saviour (apparantley)
What exactly did we achieve apart from mediocrity?
Is that his level then?
The biggest thing we did do in this era was win the Europa lg (and more importantly claim a champions league place because of it) and he had no part in that at all, Romero played.
Even during the David Moyes era, he let us down at the most crucial moment with a horrific mistake against Sunderland in the league Cup semi final, we were seconds away from the final and he gifted Phil Bardsley an equaliser with an absolute howler.
I personally don't care that much about the league Cup and I'm not for one second suggesting that this was the sole reason David Moyes failed, but still, we would have played Man City in the final and who knows what could have happened.
It certainly would have been a huge moment for David Moyes, having never won a trophy, but De Gea denied him that by bottling it when it mattered.
You can throw in pretty much his entire Spain career as another elite level failure (difference being they had the brains to address the situation).

The last year, under Solskjaer, was the first time in a long time that we were gathering any momentum and doing it by playing good attacking football, but both in the last two games, and last year when our unbeaten run ended at Arsenal, that momentum has been killed as a direct result of poor goalkeeping by De Gea.
Those mistakes were a massive reason we didn't qualify for the champions league last year and are a massive reason we are not just two points behind 4th place Chelsea right now (all momentum to put pressure on them after their blip is completely gone now).
We can't afford another five years of this.

It's now or never for me, if we want to give ourselves the best chance of getting back to where we should be then I'm sorry but De Gea needs to be replaced now.
Obviously realising this in the summer (as many of us did) would have been much better and we would have saved ourselves quite a few quid, but what's done is done, it can't be changed now, we'll just have to take the financial hit, in many ways we deserve it for being so shortsighted.

In reality, I know this isn't going to happen, I can see what's actually going to happen coming a mile off.
We'll stick with him and then the next time he makes even a half decent save, that save will be replayed all over the media as if it's some sort of proof that the doubters/haters were wrong.
Fast forward a few weeks and when it really matters again, hell make another 'uncharacteristic' blunder that 'you just don't see from top keepers like De Gea'.

It's the same cycle that's been happening for ten years.
If indeed, this situation continues and we continue to not even attempt to fix it, then we deserve all the mid-table mediocrity we get.

Happy Christmas fellow Red Devils.
Rinse and repeat, I called this exact scenario back in December, and many more times before that (because it's so grimley predictable).

I think it's an absolute no brainer that we should at least experiment with another first choice keeper but it's not going to happen so long as (a) so many of our fans remain in complete denial about this blindingly obvious issue and (b) more importantly, our manager is constantly failing to see what's right in front of him.

For instance, how can Ole come out and say after the game yesterday that he can only remember De Gea making two mistakes all season, is he even analysing our games then?

I can understand the Fans getting their analysis badly wrong as we all have other things we have to do, but Ole's full time job is to analyse our games and if he genuinely thinks De Gea has only made two mistakes all season then he should be fired for negligence because, as I said, he's clearly not re-watching/analysing our games.

Hughie77

Can't see it happening just yet, DDG has just signed new money bags deal, he's not going to be number 2, Henderson is probably the right Keeper to take over, can see him staying on loan next season then he be number 1 at OT. Surely DDG cannot make any more major cock ups.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
He's a keeper and his best years are ahead of him. Clearly not the case with Rooney.
Rooney declined early, in his late twenties, and people wondered if it was due to playing at a high level at a younger age. De Gea also played at a high level rather young, so there are many similarities (even both getting silly contracts while showing signs of decline).

This dip in his form has continued way longer than it should, so it's understandable to worry whether it's a 'blip' or a decline.

izec

Rinse and repeat, I called this exact scenario back in December, and many more times before that (because it's so grimley predictable).

I think it's an absolute no brainer that we should at least experiment with another first choice keeper but it's not going to happen so long as (a) so many of our fans remain in complete denial about this blindingly obvious issue and (b) more importantly, our manager is constantly failing to see what's right in front of him.

For instance, how can Ole come out and say after the game yesterday that he can only remember De Gea making two mistakes all season, is he even analysing our games then?

I can understand the Fans getting their analysis badly wrong as we all have other things we have to do, but Ole's full time job is to analyse our games and if he genuinely thinks De Gea has only made two mistakes all season then he should be fired for negligence because, as I said, he's clearly not re-watching/analysing our games.
Our manager is talking crap to the media all the time. Sometimes on purpose and sometimes he is clueless.

The issue is that he is so far up De Gea's ass (sorry for the expression, but it fits) that i fear he doesn't want to give others a chance there. I really hope we see Dean given a proper chance, not only in pre season and cup games. I just don't think Ole has it in him to make it happen. De Gea is the undisputed number one, no matter what happens. He is biased by his good years that he will always believe he will come back to his world class reflexes without mistakes again. Him not playing Romero at the end of last season while De Gea was giving away goals to everyone was everything you need to know

tomaldinho1

Why not just let them fight for the jersey. Henderson should be our No2 now, which should mean all domestic cup comps and then pushing DDG for the starting spot. If DDG needs to be dropped, which I think he doesn't really fear currently, Henderson comes in as a PL proven GK. We do tend to overrate our young players probably more at United than anywhere but in this case, Henderson is proven now and has a legitimate argument given DDG's form to be arguing his case to start for us next season. Competition for places is what we need - you can see it's effect on Shaw - when a young guy comes in it lights a fire under the senior player who has become too comfortable in their position, they either get displaced or push on.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If our new media guy is worth his salt he’d have some collaboration between Sheffield United. Even some casually entertaining stuff like “Can we keep him?” that’s promoted by both clubs.

Whether he stays or goes, Some level of cross pollination would add value.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A link to a Blades forum discussing Dean Henderson below.

One fan says Hendo saves at least one goal a game. Another credits Hendo with at least a extra 12 points a season. Another one says Solskjaer must be on drugs if he doesn't make Henderson #1 next season. One of their fans also wants Henderson to make a few mistakes so their chances of keeping him increase.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/dean-henderson.77753/

Last edited:

Mainoldo

For where we currently are we don’t need DeGea. However we cannot shift him now without taking a big loss in transfer fee.
A lot of us said it wasn’t smart business to give him this contract at the time.

SirMattBugsby

So many of our fans are financial analysts.. Get my taxes done, will ya? ;)

DdG is going nowhere. Step 1: kick up the a**e. Step 2: drop for Romero. That's 2020-21 sorted.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Ive seen the DDG mistake clip like 40 times now. I can not comprehend what happened. Its like no one was home for a second.

Ive seen the DDG mistake clip like 40 times now. I can not comprehend what happened. Its like no one was home for a second.
Im beginning to wonder if hes dealing with personal issues that we dont know about.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It's crazy. I don't know if it's the camera angle but their attacker covered space so well, however, DDG angles that and it's not a goal. I do think he genuinely switched off for a second as he took way too much time on the ball.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Im beginning to wonder if hes dealing with personal issues that we dont know about.
Didn't his girlfriend move away recently. I'm struggling to save its his reflexes dying our, as some have said, because he has even shown he has very good reflexes. It's mind boggling.