Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Henderson certainly isn’t short on confidence.

I have a feeling he’ll fight it out here next season and not get enough football and end up going back out on loan again the following season. If that’s the case we should just sell him for big money this summer while his stock is highest. He should really be playing a lot of first team football at this stage in career whatever he does.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If we do sell him surely he is worth over £100 mil going off what Chelsea payed for Kepa.

Dante

Average bang
Would Villa take him on loan for the season? They seem to play from the back quite a bit. And with Heaton still injured and Reina's loan move ended, they could do with someone in goal.

It might also help to grease the wheels of any potential the Grealish transfer.

Rolaholic

Sheffield spending near 20m pounds on a keeper points towards Deano being in the squad picture this coming season.

I'd be all for it, just wonder what would happen to Romero. Winning the EL with him in net would be a nice sendoff

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's gone backwards on his early potential and he's a massive wanker. I honestly do not remember the last Everton player that I disliked but he is up there. Tried to defend him loads around 18/19 but he's just indefensible now. The only problem would be getting rid of him as I doubt many people would take him and he's on a decent contract until 2024 because we spunked our load after his good WC. I'm sure that his stats this season were almost as bad as Kepa for Chelsea and when they are the two most expensive keepers in the league (I think they're both in the top 5 of all time most expensive GKs) it's pretty damning. It's something we do need to have a serious think about though / at least get in some stiff competition for him if we don't replace him.

Probably not due to the other improvements we need to make this summer but it depends on what United want to do. I think if you let him go out on loan again this summer then it's probably likely he will be your no. 1 the season after so we'd get him for one year and then be in the same boat. That's why I'd quite like us to have a bid for Romero - solid keeper that could probably give us 2 years and time to find a keeper that we thought Pickford would be.
What's Pickford done to make himself disliked?

davidmichael

So if Henderson is staying next season to battle it out with De Gea then surely Romero would be off ? I don’t see him sticking around if he’s not getting cup games like he currently is, how much do people reckon we’d get for Romero ? £10 million ?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What's Pickford done to make himself disliked?
He's been pictured laughing multiple times after he's made an error during games that we are losing by 2 or 3 goals, he makes an error almost every game nowadays, having fights outside pubs (don't blame him too much for that one as apparently they were calling his missus a fat cnut but I suppose the professionalism isn't there). Just a lot of things that have added up and he hasn't learnt from.

Leonzo1

Fair play to him for wanting to fight for his place in the team. Sell Romero, play Henderson in the cup games at the beginning and if/when De Gea starts messing up to much bench him for Henderson and see how he fares in the league. My money is on Dean being our #1 by the end of the season.

criticalanalysis

I think we should be selling Romero and letting Henderson and De Gea duke it out this season.
If Henderson returns, it'll be an embarassment of riches but we should never willingly sell Romero unless he kicks up a fuss or has some gentlemen's agreement with Ole.

We're a big club and we should have the best players available.

Personally I'm not that 100% sold on Henderson as he has shown some poor fundanmental positioning for goals conceded this season but he is ambitious and has a lot of confidence. With his shot stopping, command of the area (where let's be honest 9/10 of keepers in the league are better than De Gea), willingness to come off his line and play with the ball, he's working with a good base.

Is that good enough to be Utd's no.1? At this moment, I doubt it but more importantly I think him coming in as a genuine contender for the first team spot and providing competition to De Gea is the best thing that can happen for both.

If Henderson returns, it'll be an embarassment of riches but we should never willingly sell Romero unless he kicks up a fuss or has some gentlemen's agreement with Ole.

We're a big club and we should have the best players available.

Personally I'm not that 100% sold on Henderson as he has shown some poor fundanmental positioning for goals conceded this season but he is ambitious and has a lot of confidence. With his shot stopping, command of the area (where let's be honest 9/10 of keepers in the league are better than De Gea), willingness to come off his line and play with the ball, he's working with a good base.

Is that good enough to be Utd's no.1? At this moment, I doubt it but more importantly I think him coming in as a genuine contender for the first team spot and providing competition to De Gea is the best thing that can happen for both.
We don’t need Romero, Henderson and DDG, that’s just going to cause problems as there’s not enough games for the two keepers who are not no1.

Romero is not good enough to be No1. I don’t know whether Henderson is?

This will take some careful management, and frankly I don’t know the answer. What we don’t know is Ole’s plans for Henderson and DDG for the upcoming season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Maybe it can work but I just don't see Henderson or DDG being happy being the cup keeper like Romero is.

criticalanalysis

We don’t need Romero, Henderson and DDG, that’s just going to cause problems as there’s not enough games for the two keepers who are not no1.

Romero is not good enough to be No1. I don’t know whether Henderson is?

This will take some careful management, and frankly I don’t know the answer. What we don’t know is Ole’s plans for Henderson and DDG for the upcoming season.
Which is why if Henderson does come in then having Romero as a quality 2/3 spot will be in Utd's best interest.

If after a year, it's clear Henderson has the chops to be a contender or a challenging/rotating no 2 (and he's happy with that 'position' a bit like Ter Stergen was at Barca) then we may have to move Romero on..again only if he wants to go.

Maybe it can work but I just don't see Henderson or DDG being happy being the cup keeper like Romero is.
Nor do I. Which is what makes this difficult. Romero can be our no 2 for the next 3-5 years. He’s happy with the role, and clearly has no ambition to be a no 1.

Whilst is sounds strange to want to keep a no 2 happy, what we don’t want is for Romero to go as he’s not going to want to be third choice, DDG and Henderson fight it out next season, one of them inevitably leaves for the 2021/2
Season and then we only have one good keeper on the books.

Which is why if Henderson does come in then having Romero as a quality 2/3 spot will be in Utd's best interest.

If after a year, it's clear Henderson has the chops to be a contender or a challenging/rotating no 2 (and he's happy with that 'position' a bit like Ter Stergen was at Barca) then we may have to move Romero on..again only if he wants to go.
I’m just not sure Romero will take being 3rd choice, that’s usually reserved for someone right at the end of their career.

-Supreme-

If we do sell him surely he is worth over £100 mil going off what Chelsea payed for Kepa.
Does it also mean any half decent attacking midfielders should cost over 100m considering how much Arsenal paid for Pepe?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Why would we in the Henderson thread?
In terms of the criticism of De Gea which lead to the discussion as to should he be replaced by Henderson.

All world class GKs make high profile errors eventually. Why is it De Gea is lambasted, but Henderson is let off? So too was Ederson?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Any goalkeeping error is now used to support de Gea. How convenient.
Not convenient but a big part of goalkeeping is that mistakes happen. Yet you lot seem only ready to lambast De Gea for it ignoring relevant context that all GKs no matter how brilliant they seem have howlers on occasion.

Jibbs

As easy as that eh?

Shadow of his former self, constant mistakes and £375K a week.

Real easy to get 'just get rid' of DDG
We will be lucky if some club chooses to take him for free at these wages. Just like Sanchez.

Acole9

Outstanding
Sounds like he's staying here possibly, interesting. Ramsdale is an alright keeper, he wouldn't be content with sitting on the bench.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I wonder if we could loan Romero out for a season and let the other two battle it out for #1. Then the following season Romero can come back and be the #2 to whichever one wins out.

Unlikely, and he'd be 34 by the time that following season starts, but if we're confident he'll stay at a good level for years to come it might be the way to navigate the potential change-over.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Rumours are that we offered Romero to Aston Villa in exchange for Grealish ( plus money from our side)

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Rumours are that we offered Romero to Aston Villa in exchange for Grealish ( plus money from our side)
Looks to me like that could be further down the line than it seems. Henderson has publicly said his time has ended with us officially at the same time as those rumours.