Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The same Ole who offered de Gea a 375k-per-week contract in the first place despite his repeated errors?
I doubt the manager has much (any?) say in what wage the club offers players.

Then again he might. We really don't know how much influence he has on things like that, or whether he simply says 'yeah we want to keep him' and then the finance guys sort it all out.

hmchan

I doubt the manager has much (any?) say in what wage the club offers players.

Then again he might. We really don't know how much influence he has on things like that, or whether he simply says 'yeah we want to keep him' and then the finance guys sort it all out.
I'd give Ole a benefit of the doubt about the contract, but he definitely had the choice to drop de Gea when he kept making howlers. I feel the baby-faced assassin theory is a bit exaggerated and there is no evidence Ole will get rid of de Gea like other players in the foreseeable future.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I thought many criticized Mourinho for offering Alexis the huge contract?
More for chasing a signing of a LW when we already had one performing well. And publicly pressuring the club to make the deal

peridigm

I thought many criticized Mourinho for offering Alexis the huge contract? And Moyes for Rooney's contract?
I'm sure they did but it doesn't mean any of them were responsible for the contracts or wages.

SinNombre

Question for thought - at what price point would you guys be willing to sell Dean Henderson to Chelsea? (assuming all of the money would be reinvested in the squad)

£40m? £50m? £60m?

For me personally, if we can get that last amount, I would sell him in a flash.

He might turn out to be good for them but he is not a ball playing goalkeeper to command crazy premiums nor is he a ridiculous shotstopper like Oblak and DDG (pre 2018).

Also, elite goalkeepers generally show their main competency by his age. Our academy is arguably the best at producing goalkeepers in the world and there are always bargains out there in his position.

English goalkeepers also have a history of not being able to keep at a high level for a long time.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Question for thought - at what price point would you guys be willing to sell Dean Henderson to Chelsea? (assuming all of the money would be reinvested in the squad)

£40m? £50m? £60m?

For me personally, if we can get that last amount, I would sell him in a flash.

He might turn out to be good for them but he is not a ball playing goalkeeper to command crazy premiums nor is he a ridiculous shotstopper like Oblak and DDG (pre 2018).

Also, elite goalkeepers generally show their main competency by his age. Our academy is arguably the best at producing goalkeepers in the world and there are always bargains out there in his position.

English goalkeepers also have a history of not being able to keep at a high level for a long time.
£50-60m and I’d be delighted to sell Henderson.

He’s good but we have De Gea and Romero so the cash we could generate from his sale would be better spent in other areas of the pitch. You don’t need 3 starting GKs but £50-60m can get you a starting XI player.

Holocene

Doesn't look like he's going back to Sheffield United next season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very interesting development, doesn't make sense to loan him to another PL side really that's not Sheffield United so must mean Ole's decided to bring him back

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's on the same "supporters want rid" list as Kepa.
Yeah but they signed him for 30 million and will they sell him for loss?

Apart from Chelsea none of the top teams are looking for GK, even outside traditional top 6, Wolves, Leicester, are not looking for GK.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What about Pickford?
He's gone backwards on his early potential and he's a massive wanker. I honestly do not remember the last Everton player that I disliked but he is up there. Tried to defend him loads around 18/19 but he's just indefensible now. The only problem would be getting rid of him as I doubt many people would take him and he's on a decent contract until 2024 because we spunked our load after his good WC. I'm sure that his stats this season were almost as bad as Kepa for Chelsea and when they are the two most expensive keepers in the league (I think they're both in the top 5 of all time most expensive GKs) it's pretty damning. It's something we do need to have a serious think about though / at least get in some stiff competition for him if we don't replace him.

Surely you guys couldn’t afford the former?
Probably not due to the other improvements we need to make this summer but it depends on what United want to do. I think if you let him go out on loan again this summer then it's probably likely he will be your no. 1 the season after so we'd get him for one year and then be in the same boat. That's why I'd quite like us to have a bid for Romero - solid keeper that could probably give us 2 years and time to find a keeper that we thought Pickford would be.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's gone backwards on his early potential and he's a massive wanker. I honestly do not remember the last Everton player that I disliked but he is up there. Tried to defend him loads around 18/19 but he's just indefensible now. The only problem would be getting rid of him as I doubt many people would take him and he's on a decent contract until 2024 because we spunked our load after his good WC. I'm sure that his stats this season were almost as bad as Kepa for Chelsea and when they are the two most expensive keepers in the league (I think they're both in the top 5 of all time most expensive GKs) it's pretty damning. It's something we do need to have a serious think about though / at least get in some stiff competition for him if we don't replace him.
Yeah, getting rid of him will be a problem. I said in other post, among top 6 teams only Chelsea are looking for GKs, below that clubs have Leicester, Wolves have good keepers. Problem is finding club that makes decent offer and then convincing Pickford to take a step down in his career. Maybe club like West Ham.

dev1l

Probably not due to the other improvements we need to make this summer but it depends on what United want to do. I think if you let him go out on loan again this summer then it's probably likely he will be your no. 1 the season after so we'd get him for one year and then be in the same boat. That's why I'd quite like us to have a bid for Romero - solid keeper that could probably give us 2 years and time to find a keeper that we thought Pickford would be.
His career path is following that of Joe Hart. From what I ve heard, one of the problems he has is that he s not what you call a model professional - at least off the pitch

charlenefan

I think we should be selling Romero and letting Henderson and De Gea duke it out this season.
Romero's a proven number 2 though, neither Henderson nor De Gea are going to play 2nd fiddle to either so while for a season we may have all 3 I'd expect next summer we'll know the state of things long term and we'll still need Romero then

As said before I'd love to sack off both De Gea and Henderson and just buy Oblak

Blood Mage

Henderson back to United then it would seem. At least with him breathing down his neck De Gea might wake up a bit.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Bring Henderson back and this might light a huge fire under De Gea’ ass. Maybe even Henderson can displace De Gea. See this as a win-win.

saivet

Romero's a proven number 2 though, neither Henderson nor De Gea are going to play 2nd fiddle to either so while for a season we may have all 3 I'd expect next summer we'll know the state of things long term and we'll still need Romero then

As said before I'd love to sack off both De Gea and Henderson and just buy Oblak
De Gea doesn't really have much of a choice with the wages he's on. If Henderson starts the season as no.2, I think De Gea can be dropped if he drops a stinker, which has never been the case with Romero. I also could envisage a scenario where, we play Henderson in the CL.

charlenefan

De Gea doesn't really have much of a choice with the wages he's on. If Henderson starts the season as no.2, I think De Gea can be dropped if he drops a stinker, which has never been the case with Romero. I also could envisage a scenario where, we play Henderson in the CL.
Depends doesn't it, not many players of De Gea's potential WC ability take the Bale stance of pissing their career away just because of the money they're on

I would hope for the sake of his International career De Gea would kick up and almighty fuss to leave the club if it became apparent he was second choice

Ed9

I don't actually think you've done anything wrong with Pickford. When you bought him he seemed like a big talent and when you renewed his contract he was still good. No idea why he declined so much.
I agree Romero would be ideal for you. He wants to play so would be willing to join you, wouldn't cost much and is very good.

saivet

Depends doesn't it, not many players of De Gea's potential WC ability take the Bale stance of pissing their career away just because of the money they're on

I would hope for the sake of his International career De Gea would kick up and almighty fuss to leave the club if it became apparent he was second choice
I think if we don't completely freeze him out from the start, he would be able to accept it for one season and then look to leave, but like you say, he'd have to forget about the money and be willing to take a significant wage cut as I don't think we should subsidise his wages if he goes on loan or leaves.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If I'm Henderson, I would want assurances from Ole that it's a fair fight for the number 1 spot.

He's not going to want to be a number 2 like Romero (the odd cup game until it gets to a semi, then you're dropped for De Gea).

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah, I will certainly look forward Dean cleaning the mess our defence make
Where is this big mess? Our defence is one of the best in Europe statistically. I don’t see much wrong with it to be honest. I can only assume that you’re taking the piss?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Would Henderson be willing to be the number 2 when he would be nailed on for the England squad for the Euro's if he's playing first team football in the Prem?