Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He isn't worth all the agitation. If someone acts in a way you don't like, you rarely try to out do that person, you just move on.
There's no agitation involved. It's football - watching teams and players you don't like fail is fun.

cyberman

Gonna be very tiresome if both the De Gea and Henderson fanboys keep harping on about every flaw the other keeper demonstrates. Especially given they both have a lot of flaws.
To be fair this is on Henderson

FrantikChicken

He's put his neck on the line with his comments and he's directly in the firing line. He didn't do himself any favors with that goal, regardless how well it was struck from that angle.

Lack of anticipation, plus poor positioning and feet led to him not even making an attempt.
Exactly.

Ole'sattheWheel

He’s put himself right under the microscope with those comments.
Everything is gonna be hyper scrutinised just like if he was United goalie except he’s playing at Forest

mu4c_20le

I think people will have enough United games to judge DdG, let this thread be about Henderson.
You know what I mean. They'll inevitably be compared and will be treated like the one that got away.

Plenty on both sides waiting to throw out I told you so's.

avgp_1

He has done well, it would've been a worldie if he had saved that

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
First goal was fine. Not sure what he was doing for the second goal though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just seen the goal. Near post, at that angle, should be saving that all day long.

Idxomer

He's just too short and unlike Ter Stegen, you actually feel his lack of height hampering him.

hobbers

It's not just his height, something about the way he holds himself makes him look even smaller.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Gonna be very tiresome if both the De Gea and Henderson fanboys keep harping on about every flaw the other keeper demonstrates. Especially given they both have a lot of flaws.
agreed.

in any case, there’s not a season on god’s green earth where small featured hendo is ever going to win in a comparison against big dick dave.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Everything is gonna be hyper scrutinised just like if he was United goalie except he’s playing at Forest
Yeah, that’s the thing. I wouldn’t usually want to be too critical of United players on loan but, unfortunately, he’s earned all the criticism he’s going to get.

city-puma

watched the last half hour of the game, he seems lack of match fitness and is physically rusty.

mavradal

Had a good match today imo, he wasn't at fault for any of the 2 goals that Forest conceded. I saw people criticising his distribution but with how his teammates looked on the field today I'm not sure even someone like Schmeichel could've done better.

Pickle85

People are allowed to think neither are good enough. It's not the Messi vs Ronaldo thread. You don't have to be a "De Gea fanboy" to think Henderson is bobbins.
Exactly this.

90 + 5min

I think you are on to something. I just really can't understand why he did that. He is average keeper and way behind DeGea in quality.

JB7

You compared the season they split at United, no? Comparing DDG vs Henderson at Sheff Utd is, again, misleading as you'd expect him to be much busier at Sheff Utd, among other things. It's misleading and not a like for like comparison.

DDG made a few errors last season (he often has one in him) but I absolutely disagree he was 'very very poor for various spells'. The reference to Maguire being a scapegoat for ddg's failings makes me wonder if you just like Henderson because he's British.
It’s not misleading at all, post shot expected goals (PSxG) takes into account the quality of opportunities faced rather than the number of shots. Besides De Gea of 21/22 was actually much busier than Henderson of 19/20 in terms of shots faced so that’s nonsense as well. It’s quite literally the same statistic for every goalkeeper. I even repeated it to make it very clear what is being compared and you still misread it. If you want to ignore the data & the teams results and performances then that’s up to you but don’t try and pretend I’ve used misleading information as they are the exact same for both players.

So I’m xenophobic now for suggesting Maguire was scapegoated, Christ alive :lol: Maguire was abysmal last season but he was quite clearly the easy scapegoat and did obviously end up getting blamed on here for things that different defenders or a different goalkeeper should have dealt with. I also don’t understand why you keep suggesting I like Henderson, I’ve never said that. All I’ve done is presented the data, if you can’t understand that that says a lot more about you. He’s overall very average & the statistics showing him to be a better fit than De Gea are all about how poor for the team De Gea than how good Henderson is.

If you can’t get that into your head & automatically think I like one more than the other because he’s English rather looking to the multitude of reasons I’ve given for preferring one to the other, backed up by statistics rather than simply opinions and even stating that I don’t particularly rate either of them then I don’t really know what to say.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Looked like a little kid on both goals. Think De Gea, just by virtue of his reach, would’ve saved both of those. The second one in particular made him look really short because that was very saveable for the majority of PL keepers.

Again, as others have said, he’s really put himself under the microscope after his comments, and the pressure is going to mount on him very quickly. On the one hand I’d like him to do well so he can be sold at a decent fee, on the other - after his comments - I’d take a fair amount of schadenfraude from his failure.

mu4c_20le

Agreed re: comments about him looking small. I remember one time he got beat by a looping shot over his head. He'll always need crazy reflexes to make up for his stature.

Pickle85

It’s not misleading at all, post shot expected goals (PSxG) takes into account the quality of opportunities faced rather than the number of shots. Besides De Gea of 21/22 was actually much busier than Henderson of 19/20 in terms of shots faced so that’s nonsense as well. It’s quite literally the same statistic for every goalkeeper. I even repeated it to make it very clear what is being compared and you still misread it. If you want to ignore the data & the teams results and performances then that’s up to you but don’t try and pretend I’ve used misleading information as they are the exact same for both players.

So I’m xenophobic now for suggesting Maguire was scapegoated, Christ alive :lol: Maguire was abysmal last season but he was quite clearly the easy scapegoat and did obviously end up getting blamed on here for things that different defenders or a different goalkeeper should have dealt with. I also don’t understand why you keep suggesting I like Henderson, I’ve never said that. All I’ve done is presented the data, if you can’t understand that that says a lot more about you. He’s overall very average & the statistics showing him to be a better fit than De Gea are all about how poor for the team De Gea than how good Henderson is.

If you can’t get that into your head & automatically think I like one more than the other because he’s English rather looking to the multitude of reasons I’ve given for preferring one to the other, backed up by statistics rather than simply opinions and even stating that I don’t particularly rate either of them then I don’t really know what to say.
Ok. So you think that we would be better off with Henderson in nets? Also, I can't be bothered to check but are you saying that Henderson at Sheff utd faced fewer shots than ddg? Surprising if so.

I don't think either of us particularly rate either keeper, but I think you'll be in the minority if you think that Henderson is a better shout for us than ddg. But you're good with stats, that's for sure!

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Agreed re: comments about him looking small. I remember one time he got beat by a looping shot over his head. He'll always need crazy reflexes to make up for his stature.
He's just 4cm smaller than De Gea, who doesn't exactly look imposing himself. Not sure his physic will be that much of an issue

hobbers

He's just 4cm smaller than De Gea, who doesn't exactly look imposing himself. Not sure his physic will be that much of an issue
It’s a big problem when you combine it with his poor positional sense and slow reflexes.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
All the pundits have had more or less the same view regarding those quotes. It made him look an entitled children and it's brought unnecessary pressure on him

edcunited1878

All the pundits have had more or less the same view regarding those quotes. It made him look an entitled children and it's brought unnecessary pressure on him
I hope he has a stronger response in the coming weeks and does his part to help Forest be competitive in the league. But if he can't take the criticism after talking and then playing for Forest, he'll have done himself in even before having the legit chance of United #1, let alone England.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I hope he has a stronger response in the coming weeks and does his part to help Forest be competitive in the league. But if he can't take the criticism after talking and then playing for Forest, he'll have done himself in even before having the legit chance of United #1, let alone England.
I hope he does well. I like when a player wants to play and is frustrated to stay on the bench

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
A bit of schadenfreude for sure with this guy. Average at best

edcunited1878

I hope he does well. I like when a player wants to play and is frustrated to stay on the bench
I am the same way, but he didn't help himself and it was stupid. He deserves the criticism, but I too want him to do well and comeback and seriously try to become United #1, even with some question marks.

JB7

Ok. So you think that we would be better off with Henderson in nets? Also, I can't be bothered to check but are you saying that Henderson at Sheff utd faced fewer shots than ddg? Surprising if so.

I don't think either of us particularly rate either keeper, but I think you'll be in the minority if you think that Henderson is a better shout for us than ddg. But you're good with stats, that's for sure!
I’ve not double checked recently but I’m sure I did a couple of months ago and he had, I think it was quite a lot less too. I agree it’s surprising but Henderson is lot more proactive which helps and they did defend better that year than we last season to be fair.

I realise it’s an unpopular opinion that’s why I use the stats to back it up rather than just saying X, Y, Z. I tend to look to my own eye test before stats & then look over stats to see if they back up what I’m thinking which in this case they do - without Henderson necessarily being good enough either. Like I say, letting Maignan move for €10m & Donnarumma for nothing in the same summer without showing any kind of interest was an astonishingly poor oversight in my view.

Gandalf

Had a good match today imo, he wasn't at fault for any of the 2 goals that Forest conceded. I saw people criticising his distribution but with how his teammates looked on the field today I'm not sure even someone like Schmeichel could've done better.
Certainly should have stopped the second. I don't think he had a good game at all, my biggest issue with him has been his positioning and it was a major problem for him again today, he just does not seem to have the awareness of a top keeper and takes himself out of play too much. I also saw very little evidence of the commanding presence he gets credited with, he was frequently back on his heels instead of coming out to control his box but then would come out in kamikaze fashion now and again and need a slice of luck not to give away a goal. It is 1 game but on this evidence he will do well to keep his place in the Forest side and I fear our hopes of selling him for anything more than a nominal fee next summer are rapidly receding.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
It was unfortunate for him that DDG took his kick up the arse and played well enough to justifiably reclaim the #1 spot while Henderson had covid. I'd say neither of them are realistically good enough for a top tier team, they've both got obvious strengths and weaknesses and for me it doesn't really make much difference which one is in net. I'd say both he and DDG are just good enough that it'd be fine to trust either one as #1 while we sort out the 10 in front of them (and relevant depth) before making changes there but DDG earned his spot back through form and goodwill from previous seasons which I'd say is fair enough. Obviously Henderson is burning his bridges now but whether it was him or DDG as keeper now I think they'd be on borrowed time until our more pressing issues are sorted, unless we perform some sort of GK coaching masterclass.

Pickle85

I’ve not double checked recently but I’m sure I did a couple of months ago and he had, I think it was quite a lot less too. I agree it’s surprising but Henderson is lot more proactive which helps and they did defend better that year than we last season to be fair.

I realise it’s an unpopular opinion that’s why I use the stats to back it up rather than just saying X, Y, Z. I tend to look to my own eye test before stats & then look over stats to see if they back up what I’m thinking which in this case they do - without Henderson necessarily being good enough either. Like I say, letting Maignan move for €10m & Donnarumma for nothing in the same summer without showing any kind of interest was an astonishingly poor oversight in my view.
I can't find the stat on fbref either. Where did you find that? I know we were bad that season but would be amazed if ddg did actually face more shots than Henderson at Sheff utd

littlepeasoup

I am the same way, but he didn't help himself and it was stupid. He deserves the criticism, but I too want him to do well and comeback and seriously try to become United #1, even with some question marks.
You don’t call out your parent club when you’re on loan if you expect to ever play for them again. He’s burned his bridges and I honestly don’t think he deserves to play for the club again. Grade-A prick.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He definitely did have moments where he looked rusty, which isn't surprising considering he basically hasn't played for 12 months. I'm not just talking the goals, but just things like being slow to come out and claim balls that he would've been quick to do for us or Sheffield United. Give him a month or so to get back in his groove and we'll see how he goes.

He certainly is going to have a lot of work to do this season. Maybe it was just nerves in their first game, but Forest looked atrocious. I almost felt sorry for Lingard out there being surrounded by such poor players, but then remembered he had the option of West Ham so it was his own choice.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
A year ago or so the majority on the caf wanted him starting ahead of ddg. The mood swings can be epic

Caesar2290

A year ago or so the majority on the caf wanted him starting ahead of ddg. The mood swings can be epic
I still do. That's how bad DDG is.

Doesn't change the fact that Henderson is a belend and not exactly the GK that will take us to the next level like VDS did. Says a lot about DDG really more than anything.

hobbers

I almost felt sorry for Lingard out there being surrounded by such poor players, but then remembered he had the option of West Ham so it was his own choice.
Could have been playing for Newcastle today as well were he less greedy.

One things for sure - neither Henderson nor Lingard are getting in the England team playing in such a nailed on relegation side.

JB7

I can't find the stat on fbref either. Where did you find that? I know we were bad that season but would be amazed if ddg did actually face more shots than Henderson at Sheff utd
It’s in the normal goalkeeping section on fbref rather than advanced goalkeeping. Henderson faced 129 in 19/20 whereas De Gea faced 177 last season.