Dean Henderson signed new contract | Loaned out to Sheffield United

TrustInOle

Excellent decision. Depending on whether DDG regains some form next season and how well Sheffield deal with the pressure's of European football, I'd have him and a long term loan deal like Chelsea had with Courtois and Athletico. Sheffield has been instrumental in his development so far, and Wilder seems to be on point with his attractive style of play that Dean is growing into.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Loved Sky's clickbait headline on Ole's latest comments: 'Ole Gunnar Solksjaer says Dean Henderson will be Manchester United's first-choice goalkeeper', as if he packed De Gea's bags and got straight on the fax machine to Madrid.

I'm excited about Henderson and hope we can manage the transition from De Gea well.

Irrational.

I think he's outgrown Sheffield United despite them having had an excellent season. I wouldn't be averse to him being the #1 at a bigger club on loan, though with our past failures with the loan system (I still have nightmares about Rossi) maybe it's worth keeping him there. A bird in the hand and all that...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he's outgrown Sheffield United despite them having had an excellent season. I wouldn't be averse to him being the #1 at a bigger club on loan, though with our past failures with the loan system (I still have nightmares about Rossi) maybe it's worth keeping him there. A bird in the hand and all that...
Doesn't really work like that for goalkeepers. IF anything you're better at a club where you're actually busy and having to save shots, catch crosses etc.

While it might be a different mental skillset playing for a bigger club and you have less to do, I think let him play first team football and will be in Europe next season you'd expect.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I also think it's just bang on impossible to get a 'bigger club' to take a goalkeeper on loan. I think Courtois to Atletico is the only one I can think of, and that was like a 3 year deal.

DWelbz19

We'll take him. Obviously not a bigger club than Man United but a step up from the Blades.
Interesting proposition, that!

It makes an awful lot of sense in theory but fan stigma would probably never see it happening. “Why would we want to develop our top 4 rivals next future no.1?” Etc etc.

Heck, when was the last time a top 4/6 team loaned a player to the other?

Nickelodeon

It makes an awful lot of sense in theory but fan stigma would probably never see it happening. “Why would we want to develop our top 4 rivals next future no.1?” Etc etc.

I remember Yossi Benayoun being tossed around between Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Moses to Liverpool from Chelsea is another one.

CM

We also aren't likely to help a top 4 rival improve their team.

I think a third season at Sheffield United makes most sense, they've shown they're a capable team and Wilder is a good manager to continue Henderson's development (assuming we don't bring him back).

Nikelesh Reddy

I think the Club have done the right thing in letting him stay at Sheffield until the end of the season...It would have been incredibly petty to cut short his loan...

romufc

Wilder has spoken out this season in respects to Henderson, he still has mistakes in him. He is a huge talent, but he still needs to cut the mistakes out of his game. He needs another season on loan to develop further and improve on various things including his passing.

RkkMan

I hope Sheffield qualify for the EL so that he can get some experience in a major European competition. I feel that`s the last step he needs to take to prove he is good enough to be Utd`s no1. He`s already one of the PL`s best GKs and was the best GK in the Championship. After that though he needs to come back and challenge DDG. IMO he has no other reason to stay at Sheffield beyond next season, he`s outgrowing them and needs a bigger challenge to take his game to the next level or he`ll stagnate.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

cyberman

He's ready.
Nah not yet. He had a fantastic year in championship last year and shit the bed from the pressure of the EPL until he settled down. The step up to United is even bigger than that so he would need time to adjust

izec

Nah not yet. He had a fantastic year in championship last year and shit the bed from the pressure of the EPL until he settled down. The step up to United is even bigger than that so he would need time to adjust
He made one or two mistakes. Don't make it sound like he had 10 howlers. He performed form the start, people are focusing too much on his Liverpool mistake.

cyberman

He made one or two mistakes. Don't make it sound like he had 10 howlers. He performed form the start, people are focusing too much on his Liverpool mistake.
He did flap at a few, lets be honest. Basic errors were made

izec

He did flap at a few, lets be honest. Basic errors were made
He is one of the best keepers in the league this season, based on performances, not reputation. Only Alisson is obviously better. Every GK made mistakes this season.

edcunited1878

He's ready.
Not quite. Need another full season at Sheffield in the Europa, if they qualify, and need to see him with expectations for a second Premier League season. Teams will understand better how to play against Sheffield and Henderson.

He's not going to come back to United next year unless DDG completely falls off a cliff between now and the end of season. Henderson can continue to improve and solidify his place for England at the #1 going into Euros without any unnecessary pressure or drama.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not quite. Need another full season at Sheffield in the Europa, if they qualify, and need to see him with expectations for a second Premier League season. Teams will understand better how to play against Sheffield and Henderson.

He's not going to come back to United next year unless DDG completely falls off a cliff between now and the end of season. Henderson can continue to improve and solidify his place for England at the #1 going into Euros without any unnecessary pressure or drama.
It’s not like he has far to fall.

Shark

@NotShark
One thing’s for sure, Henderson was absolutely streets ahead of De Gea last season, who looked like one of the Prem’s ropiest keepers. And he was no great shakes the season before last.
How ropy is De Gea really though? Yeah by his standards he hasn't been making as many of those Godly saves so his mistakes are more glaring, but I think his ropiness is overblown.

DWelbz19

He’s easily the second best goalkeeper in the league this season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
One thing’s for sure, Henderson was absolutely streets ahead of De Gea last season, who looked like one of the Prem’s ropiest keepers. And he was no great shakes the season before last.
Season before last? As in 17/18? He was world class that season

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s not ready. He’s made 3/4 mistakes this season and if he did them at United he’d have been crucified in the media, on forums and everywhere really. Ben Foster looks like one of the best in the league but he couldn’t cope at United so let’s just see how he develops rather than putting all our eggs in one basket. We’re essentially trying to fix something that’s not broken.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I mean Henderson looks fine but that's it, don't get the hype personally

If he wasn't on loan from us he'd get the same coverage as someone like Pope

Paxi

How ropy is De Gea really though? Yeah by his standards he hasn't been making as many of those Godly saves so his mistakes are more glaring, but I think his ropiness is overblown.
No he’s not ropey. Ropey would be like him in his debut season etc where he looked out of place in the league. I’m still confident with De Gea in goal — he’s completely fine. People are obsessed with new shiny things.

Season before last De Gea had one of the best goalkeeping seasons I've ever witnessed so not sure what you mean there

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
He’s not ready. He’s made 3/4 mistakes this season and if he did them at United he’d have been crucified in the media, on forums and everywhere really.
Name them. I’m struggling to think of that many.

TrustInOle

No he’s not ropey. Ropey would be like him in his debut season etc where he looked out of place in the league. I’m still confident with De Gea in goal — he’s completely fine. People are obsessed with new shiny things.
Agreed. A loan back to Sheffield with, hopefully, EL for more experiece. Yes the last 2 seasons DDG has made some uncharacteristic mistakes, but the hyperbole from fans is just a consequence of his form beforehand where he single handedly kept United amongst the top 4 during our most dire times. Unless we see a completely different DDG in the remaining games, making mistakes, allowing goals he would normally save, then he is still one of the best around and possibly the best shot stopper in the league.

edcunited1878

I mean Henderson looks fine but that's it, don't get the hype personally

If he wasn't on loan from us he'd get the same coverage as someone like Pope
Henderson has been with United since he was a kid and the fact that United haven't had a #1 from their academy in many, many decades contributes to the desire of him eventually ascending to the #1 for United and probably England. Everyone knows this will be the case and wants it to be.

Not sure what is his ceiling, but right now it's comparable to kasper schmeichel. Very solid, assertive keeper in the box, big frame, and play a little bit on the deck. Good voice and presence at the back as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, no...I think you're really excited about Henderson which is completely fine because if DDG has really been that bad this year, he'd been benched.
I honestly haven’t watched Henderson much this season. So I’ve no strong opinions on him. De Gea has been rubbish though. Woeful distribution, slow off his line and more howlers than most keepers in the top half of the table.

I was being harsh when I said he was crap last season but the rot started at the world cup IMO. Has been a level below his best ever since and plumbed new depths so far this season. If he’s no better over the rest of the campaign I would happily drop him for the next one.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He’s easily the second best goalkeeper in the league this season.
Yeah, if Pickford carries on flapping then he is a doubt to be the keeper at the Euros so the shift in that tournament has helped Henderson quite nicely.

izec

He had 2 that i remember. One vs Pool and one vs Watford, where he could have done better. De Gea had probably double that, not to mention the couple of times where he was planted on the line and we get goals by him not being aggressive enough.

The thing he needs to improve is his catching and handling, otherwise he is as good or better than De Gea in most things for a GK this and last season. Stats back it up as well.

If he translates it to United, he will be better than the De Gea we saw for the past 2 seasons, easily. And he would still have plenty of room for improvement and consistency, while question marks remain for Dave if he will or won't get back to his past form.

edcunited1878

I honestly haven’t watched Henderson much this season. So I’ve no strong opinions on him. De Gea has been rubbish though. Woeful distribution, slow off his line and more howlers than most keepers in the top half of the table.

I was being harsh when I said he was crap last season but the rot started at the world cup IMO. Has been a level below his best ever since and plumbed new depths so far this season. If he’s no better over the rest of the campaign I would happily drop him for the next one.
I think you're still being a little harsh. He's made a few mistakes this year and isn't at a super human level, but he's still a top quality keeper and one of the best in the PL (top 4 at least).

His distribution has been average to good for his entire career and it's not like he's thrown the ball out for distribution and threw it right to the opposition player who then first timed it for a goal. His mistakes seem more mental and disengaged and that's similar to what happened to him in the WC.

His mistake against Everton was crap and unlucky, but he made amends for it after that and saved United a point. Either way, shouldn't be too concerned about DDG, more like disappointed.

Henderson will get this opportunity and hope he gets a clean one in that DDG is sold or not resigned or he accepts being #2, but probably not.

Paxi

He made a horrible howler vs Liverpool and I’m sure there’s a couple of more there. I don’t watch Sheffield often to be fair.