Dean Saunders

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
This puts his story about Brian Clough in a whole new light. BC called to his house to sign Saunders back in 1991 when he was at Derby. In recalling the story Saunders mocked, by mimicking Clough, the fact that Clough had a drink problem for entertainment purposes. Me thinks karma has caught up with Saunders with today’s sentence and the judges comments. It was a horrible, much embellished story he told on Talksport. Clough’s assistant at the time has confirmed that Saunders recall of the meeting had more fiction than fact in its telling.

I hope this ends his after dinner work. Talksport/BT should sack him to send out a message. Drink driving is an odious thing to do. Credit to the judge he pulled no punches. Saunders is probably too arrogant to be ashamed.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I hope this ends his after dinner work. Talksport/BT should sack him to send out a message. Drink driving is an odious thing to do. Credit to the judge he pulled no punches. Saunders is probably too arrogant to be ashamed.
They should should him because he clearly knows feck all about football. The drink shouldn't come into it.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Passing sentence, Nicholas Sanders, the district judge, told him: “Throughout these proceedings you have shown yourself to be arrogant, thinking you are someone whose previous and current role in the public eye entitles you to be above the law.

“In fact the opposite is true – someone in the public eye should expect a deterrent sentence when they flout the law.”

Sanders continued: “Your driving came to the attention of police officers. You very nearly caused a serious accident.

“They were seriously concerned you may cause an accident. You were stopped and failed to provide a breath specimen and continued with this obstructive and evasive conduct at the police station.

“I do not accept you were confused. You consistently refused to cooperate.”

He also told Saunders, a father-of-three, that, despite police body-cam footage and “overwhelming evidence”, it was only on Tuesday that he had decided to admit his guilt and he had shown “no real remorse”.
He should be banned for life. In 3 years he will have another chance to kill people.

Needham

Little bit of karma. Saunders has long been dining out on an embellished story about Brian Clough's drinking.

Needham

Everywhere I've read and heard on the news they've all had to say "the ex Liverpool striker.." feck off he played for us for one fecking season. No mention of the 11 other clubs he played for.
It's a story associated with criminality, hence the media association. I'm not saying that's right. I am not saying that's right.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This puts his story about Brian Clough in a whole new light. BC called to his house to sign Saunders back in 1991 when he was at Derby. In recalling the story Saunders mocked, by mimicking Clough, the fact that Clough had a drink problem for entertainment purposes. Me thinks karma has caught up with Saunders with today’s sentence and the judges comments. It was a horrible, much embellished story he told on Talksport. Clough’s assistant at the time has confirmed that Saunders recall of the meeting had more fiction than fact in its telling.

A PR company boss I met told me story about a meeting he had with Clough.
It was first thing in the morning in Nottingham. Clough has a Perrier bottle filled with either gin or vodka. He said Clough was polite and charming. Even offered him a drink!
The feeling the PR boss had was one of sadness at his illness. He didn’t try and exploit it in the same way Saunders has.

Shame on him for basically mocking someone with genuine problems. Clough was a one off,a genius in club management and a genuinely nice man.

Saunders is a vile embodiment of a man.

Member 39557

Talksport employ Trevor Sinclair after his drink driving into a pedestrian and being racist towards a police officer, so I doubt they'll sack Saunders.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So he's out within 1 day :lol: what a joke

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Of course, Talkshite will play it down and come out in full support of the 'criminal' and he'll be back on the air in no time. Doubt whether they'll even report it. No sign of it on their website.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The former Derby County, Oxford United and Aston Villa forward, of The Paddocks in Whitegate, Cheshire, told the court he had been at Chester Races and had drunk two pints.
They only mention Liverpool though, right?

Giuliano Maiorana

How has he been released on bail after a day?

A shambles.

If you or I were as drunk as he was and thought we were "above the law" we would be taught a lesson with serving an actual sentence.

He has got away with it because he was once famous

SparkedIntoLife

TalkSport also glorify Alan Brazil's drinking so they won't do shit. It's turned into a bit of a joke that Brazil goes on benders and misses work. He's been sacked and rehired a ridiculous number of times. They need to send the dude to rehab rather than weaving his drinking into jingles. It's pretty shoddy IMHO. It's 2019 FFS.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Talksport employ Trevor Sinclair after his drink driving into a pedestrian and being racist towards a police officer, so I doubt they'll sack Saunders.
Alan Brazil works there too and he also got done for drink driving. It's not just them though, the BBC also employed Sinclair afterwards after steering clear of him for about a year. Then non-footballers we have Kirsty Gallagher on Sky, Ant out of Ant and Dec on ITV, Nick Knowles is another at BBC. The media industry as a whole don't give a crap.

In an attempt to be fair to Saunders as far as the jail term he got and the appeal against the sentence, which was worse, his offence or Sinclair's? From a layman's point of view I couldn't say Saunders' was from my perspective. I'd have them as equal or say Sinclair's was. I know things might be different legally speaking. Sinclair didn't get any jail time so if comparing the two I could see how Saunders might have a case. That said, I'd have been perfectly happy if they both got locked up for what they did, then we still have a nice symmetry between the two cases.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How has he been released on bail after a day?

A shambles.

If you or I were as drunk as he was and thought we were "above the law" we would be taught a lesson with serving an actual sentence.

He has got away with it because he was once famous
One day or ten does not really make a difference in my eyes, the real punishment is that he'll always be known as someone who went to prison for this.

He (and all drunk drivers) should never, ever get their licence back.

SparkedIntoLife

Steady on. Don't you believe anyone can be rehabilitated? I'd wager that the majority of drivers on this forum have driven over the limit at some point. The limits are a lot stricter than people think.

Also, I've worked with a lot of ex offenders. Some have drunk drove due to self-medicating after severe trauma and getting lost in the mental health system or being prescribed incorrect medication. It's no excuse and drink driving is always a terrible offence that could cause fatal consequences to themselves and others. It's not acceptable, but it's not always as black and white as just someone going up the pub, getting leathered irresponsibly and trying to chance it home out of cockiness. I also know many people who have been totally rehabilitated and I'd trust them to drive me somewhere now more than I'd trust the average person because they aren't casual and are actually better informed on road safety and best practice through drink driving programmes and regrettable personal experience.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Steady on. Don't you believe anyone can be rehabilitated? I'd wager that the majority of drivers on this forum have driven over the limit at some point. The limits are a lot stricter than people think.

Also, I've worked with a lot of ex offenders. Some have drunk drove due to self-medicating after severe trauma and getting lost in the mental health system or being prescribed incorrect medication. It's no excuse and drink driving is always a terrible offence that could cause fatal consequences to themselves and others. It's not acceptable, but it's not always as black and white as just someone going up the pub, getting leathered irresponsibly and trying to chance it home out of cockiness. I also know many people who have been totally rehabilitated and I'd trust them to drive me somewhere now more than I'd trust the average person because they aren't casual and are actually better informed on road safety and best practice through drink driving programmes and regrettable personal experience.
Nice try, but this Forum only works in black and white, there is no middle ground here.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

People can be rehabilitated of course. A life ban for a first time offender is harsh. Maybe a life ban for a 2nd offence.

I do think the penalty for driving offences in general (not just drink driving) are far, far too lenient.

Needham

What, Sinclair didn't have to cooperate in a BBC documentary exploring the roots of his racism?

SparkedIntoLife

People can be rehabilitated of course. A life ban for a first time offender is harsh. Maybe a life ban for a 2nd offence.

I do think the penalty for driving offences in general (not just drink driving) are far, far too lenient.
You might be right there. There's a chance I might be undergoing a career change into probation next year so I'm sure I'll learn more about the rationale behind sentencing. Obviously the ideal is to have punitive and rehabilitative elements, though the ratio differs based on attitude, circumstances, previous offences and so on. It's not easy and mental health is certainly more factored in more these days.

I'm thankful to have seen so many people genuinely rehabilitated through my work and personal circles but I was much more sceptical about the possibility several years ago.

Full bodied red

Talksport also shamelessly employ Fatboy Quinn - someone else who's enjoyed time at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Maybe it's compulsory if you want a job there....

fergieisold

One day or ten does not really make a difference in my eyes, the real punishment is that he'll always be known as someone who went to prison for this.

I dunno, maybe at a certain level of blood alcohol they shouldn't get it back. But if you are just over the limit your reaction time is reduced by a little over a 10th of a second...if you're driving safely it's not going to end up in a serious accident!

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Stupid appealing the decision, he goes in now does his time he's out well before Xmas. He drags this out then he will probably spend time in over Xmas. Hope it does happen to him, if it was a normal member of the public they would be hit even harder. He surprised if it gets reduced, hope they increase the time.

El Zoido

Is this offence likely to become obsolete with the coming of AI auto driving vehicles?
Yeah probably, but we won’t be at a point where AI cars are driving us around on their own for another 25+ years I reckon. The tech is good and it’s getting better, but we’re still a long way from having 100% AI cars legal on the roads.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He shouldn't have even gone to Prison. It's pointless and a waste of money. Suspended sentence and the loss of his licence for a period of time .
Prison is pointless eh? I'm sure you looked at the facts of the case closely before spewing your silly opinion. This is a lying alcoholic who did his best to avoid conviction.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Prison is pointless eh? I'm sure you looked at the facts of the case closely before spewing your silly opinion. This is a lying alcoholic who did his best to avoid conviction.
Giving my opinion is hardly spewing it. And yes, I know what he did. I am against short term prison sentences as I don't think they work.

If I'm not mistaken I think they do something similar in Spain for sentences under 2 years, in that they are suspended and the perpetrator isn't jailed.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Giving my opinion is hardly spewing it. And yes, I know what he did. I am against short term prison sentences as I don't think they work.

If I'm not mistaken I think they do something similar in Spain for sentences under 2 years, in that they are suspended and the perpetrator isn't jailed.
What are they supposed to be working? It's a punishment. You do summat cnuty, you lose your freedom for a while.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What are they supposed to be working? It's a punishment. You do summat cnuty, you lose your freedom for a while.
They're not very effective at reducing reoffending rates, and studies show community sentences are much more effective.

Jailing somebody for a day is utterly pointless, and serves zero purpose

Copa Mundial

People can be rehabilitated of course. A life ban for a first time offender is harsh. Maybe a life ban for a 2nd offence./QUOTE]
Is it really? I respect your view @duffer but surely a life ban for a first time offender is the ultimate deterrent required to reduce drink driving.

There is simply no need for anyone to drink drive and those that do are either completely selfish, stupid or more likely both.