Gaming Deathloop

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
No I didn’t - I don’t think it was perfect but I was always driving towards a goal and given the choice of how to get there. I loved the setting and atmosphere too. I think Prey is massively better than Deathloop…well so far. I’m only about 3/4 hours or so but the cracks are appearing and frankly, it’s all just a bit boring.
Yep totally agree that setting was Prey's strong point - the claustrophobic horror element worked really well.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've been reading this thread for some feedback, as I've just downloaded this through game pass. Saw your post saying you would wait for it to be on GP, so I'm bumping this thread to let you know in case you didn't ;)
Thanks for the heads up. I have seen it's on GP. I don't have much time at the moment but will hopefully get to give it a go at some point.

Ainu

I haven't played this game myself, so I can't judge its quality, but just from observing the reactions from the gaming community since it released, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a divide between the reception from critics and gamers.

Have to admit, based on all the trailers and footage I saw before release, this screamed "meh" at me, so I was pretty shocked at the near universal perfect scores from critics. I don't buy the whole developer/publisher bribe stuff, so I wonder why this happened.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I haven't played this game myself, so I can't judge its quality, but just from observing the reactions from the gaming community since it released, I'm not sure I've ever seen such a divide between the reception from critics and gamers.

Have to admit, based on all the trailers and footage I saw before release, this screamed "meh" at me, so I was pretty shocked at the near universal perfect scores from critics. I don't buy the whole developer/publisher bribe stuff, so I wonder why this happened.
Yeah despite the incredible review scores the critics I tend to trust think it's massively overrated and the gaming community also don't see it as any sort of masterpiece. Personally I find Arcane in general to be a really overrated studio. So I'm not expecting big things when I play this. Hopefully better than Dishonored 2 at least.

Ainu

Yeah despite the incredible review scores the critics I tend to trust think it's massively overrated and the gaming community also don't see it as any sort of masterpiece. Personally I find Arcane in general to be a really overrated studio. So I'm not expecting big things when I play this. Hopefully better than Dishonored 2 at least.
I'm in a weird place with Arkane Studios as well. I love the original Dishonored but was seriously underwhelmed by its successor. Felt like an uninspired retread. Prey, I could respect what they were going for and I played it for quite a bit until ultimately giving up because I wasn't really enjoying myself.

So yeah I guess the last game from them I truly liked was 10 years ago already.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm in a weird place with Arkane Studios as well. I love the original Dishonored but was seriously underwhelmed by its successor. Felt like an uninspired retread. Prey, I could respect what they were going for and I played it for quite a bit until ultimately giving up because I wasn't really enjoying myself.

So yeah I guess the last game from them I truly liked was 10 years ago already.
Tbf I forgot about Prey. Really really liked that until the last leg which dragged on. Never been big on the dishonored series. 2 was really mediocre.

Siorac

I enjoyed this one, though I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything. But it was satisfying enough to figure out the puzzle, put the pieces together.

I love stealth games though so I'm always biased. Sneaking in and overriding a turret to mow down everyone is just lovely.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I very much enjoyed it at the beginning but it has got a bit boring lately. Once your character is developed and you have all the slabs, trinkets etc., it becomes quite easy (especially with Havoc and Aether equipped). I also expected this to be more puzzle based but it is actually pretty linear where you don't have to solve the puzzles yourself but go from point A to point B so that your character can figure things out (that you don't even have to follow).

It's a solid game, the design is good and it's an enjoyable, would probably rate it a strong 7+ or even an 8, and I have definitely enjoyed my time with the game, I also appreciate the concept as it is not your typical stealth game but I think they could have done more with it. I felt Dishonored was better, and having played this actually encouraged me to download all 3 Dishonored games which I'm going to play next (I only finished the first one back in PS3 era).

GBBQ

I bought this last year and ditched it after a week or two cos I just wasn’t getting into it. I had a similar reaction with dishonoured.

Went back to it recently and completed the loop yesterday. It definitely has a tipping point where you get a slab or weapon that suits your play style or a particular mission and the game becomes a lot more fluid.

Definitely not a 10/10 game but better than I initially thought.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I actually had to go and uninstall it. Not going to go and divert the power for the 10th fecking time doing the same thing over and over again. It's a painfully average game. The graphics are last gen, combat is average and unsatisfying and the overall story thinks it's far more clever than it is. 10/10 my hole.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm actually really enjoying this more than it seems a lot of you guys did. It's funny, the gameplay is solid enough and the story is original, but my God are the UI and Menu screens cluttered as hell. There's too much going on and it throws it all at you at once it seems.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'm actually really enjoying this more than it seems a lot of you guys did. It's funny, the gameplay is solid enough and the story is original, but my God are the UI and Menu screens cluttered as hell. There's too much going on and it throws it all at you at once it seems.
thats what got me the most when I first started. I had no idea what was going on and found it impossible to follow quests. But eventually got the hang of it and enjoyed the game. Completed it last week. A solid 7 or 8 outta 10 from me

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
thats what got me the most when I first started. I had no idea what was going on and found it impossible to follow quests. But eventually got the hang of it and enjoyed the game. Completed it last week. A solid 7 or 8 outta 10 from me
Yeah same. I get the concept of certain missions only being available at certain times of the day and the main goal is to kill everyone in the same day cycle, but it really is a clusterfeck of presentation. I'm just doing some runs at the moment to get slabs/powers and weapons infused before even attempting that. Is that how you did it?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yeah same. I get the concept of certain missions only being available at certain times of the day and the main goal is to kill everyone in the same day cycle, but it really is a clusterfeck of presentation. I'm just doing some runs at the moment to get slabs/powers and weapons infused before even attempting that. Is that how you did it?
exactly that. Just concentrating on collecting stuff powering up and infusing. And the more you do the more easy it becomes. Then I found just concentrating on one quest at a time and keep going until thats finished. So you can skip time etc... to move onto next bit

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Finished it today. Thought it was brilliant. On a par with the first Dishonored for me. Glad I stuck with it after the first few hours. When you get the better weapons and powers/upgrades it's a hell of a lot of fun.