Decades Chain Draft: Final - Gio vs Beam/Synco

With players at their level during the designated years, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This scheme may be a good illustration of my more general caveats expressed earlier - a false 9 is a #10 a lot of the time, and I guess Zico fits that profile like a glove. When both forwards are wide, stretching the defense - who is actually occupying/threatening the CF space? The CMs will do so at times, but I don't think that's an ideal default solution in terms of positional play.

So that's basically my earlier point: I think another natural final third player would help a lot with the kind of fluidity you describe there. Like Silva combining Iniesta-style with Zico and moving freely between AM/FW positions, or Benzema moving around the last line in typical fashion. That's why I reasoned your wide forwards may have to come inside quite often to provide that kind of presence, they're the only natural options apart from Zico I can see. Hence my impression of a narrow approach (even if unwanted).

Not arguing for sake of it here, it's an honest caveat, and I'll listen to your answer.
Modric is just the ticket for fluidity in attacking areas. He's one of the best of all time at dropping into the attacking half-spaces in crowded midfield areas. He can easily drift wide where he often does a lot of his best work. For example, this chance he creates from the right side of attack:

Or from the other side:

The beauty of Modric is can do that from a position of midfield control. Regularly he'll help to kickstart moves deeper in the park, and as the possession develops, then re-appear in a dangerous pocket further up the pitch. Him and Zico would get on like a house on fire.

Of course we could have thrown another attacker in. But this is a final, and finals are typically won by teams that can control midfield on and off the ball. Which is quite likely with Frank Rijkaard, Roy Keane and Luka Modric. And then get the goal to win the game. We're not playing for a 4-3 win, it's about measured control for a 1-0 win.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
One on Redondo against the ball.

It's more Beam's field of expertise, but I have the impression he may suffer from DLP syndrome a bit - the underrating of the presence of creative CMs. (Generally, not necessarily here.) Redondo was among the few of them who had the physique of a powerful DM, and he knew how to use it. I've watched several late 90s clasico's, and one of the things that raised my attention was the presence, alertness, and physicality of Redondo against the ball. These games were battles, and Redondo was right in the middle of it, to the point of the occasional nastiness.

I still defer to others for a more informed view, but I'd like to underline mine with some visual impressions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

First up a compilation - only snippets, but a good general display of the physicality, anticipation, and tackling style I mean:

(Great channel digging into trademark Redondo skills btw, check it out)

For more of an in-game impression, one of the Clásicos from the aforementioned period:

Finally, a 2003 CL game with Milan against his former side. It's outside our period, but it illustrates the DM presence I see in him well.

Caveat is, I don't know how complete these match comps are. So it's again more of a statement on player type/defensive style in general than a match analysis.

But they show well what I see in Redondo. The combination with Kanté (who I rate as one of the greatest midfield defenders of all time) should make for excellent defensive presence, in front of a backline that's not too shabby either. Fully controlling Zico is impossible, but making it a contest would be alright.

Synco said:
I still defer to others for a more informed view
Maybe @Gio and @Jim Beam (and whoever else) can pick this up a bit more after the game, would interest me.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
But lovely debate, this is why Synco is leading I would make this a circus probably.

We would really like to hear others as well.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Gio Generally agree on Modric, I just personally prefer him as the middle CM in a three. But it's okay to disagree here, I've always maintained it's about margins rather than anything else.
We're not playing for a 4-3 win, it's about measured control for a 1-0 win.
That's fair. In drafts, I generally wonder who'd have the upper hand between these all-time great backlines and absurd offenses. It's an allround ridiculous scenario, in a way :lol:

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Gio Generally agree on Modric, I just personally prefer him as the middle CM in a three. But it's okay to disagree here, I've always maintained it's about margins rather than anything else.

That's fair. In drafts, I generally wonder who'd have the upper hand between these all-time great backlines and absurd offenses. It's an allround ridiculous scenario, in a way :lol:
IIRC correctly @oneniltothearsenal ran an all-time draft style seasons on Football Manager and the games were really high scoring with the all-time attackers against the all time defenders.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yeah, he's always seemed multi-functional to me within a 3 as in he could fulfill different types of 8 roles. Positionally he was the most advanced of the CL-dominating Casemiro-Kroos-Modric trio where he did most of his best work.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
As a final post (probably), the reasons why we're confident we won't end up scoreless.

Our offense has been the same all draft, there was simply no need to upgrade anything. So it's natural it's been less in the focus of the discussions in this final. So it makes sense to summarize once more how good our team is purely in an attacking sense, players I to XI. As a reminder, and to give them a proper send off:
  • van Basten, the flying, super-athletic, dribbling, creative pre-injury version. In addition to being a physically dominant #9 and a lethal scorer as always; the fullest package ever in that position.
  • Laudrup behind him, genius playmaker, combination player, speed dribbler. Can play the others through as well as offer himself up on his pacy runs in scoring positions.
  • Blokhin, one of the fastest players ever, a dribbling menace, scorer, passer, difference maker. Not to forget his ability to go long line for crosses.
  • Chislenko, who during his peak was a perfect mix of dribbling winger and roaming, volume-scoring forward.
  • Redondo pulling the strings behind them, all-time great DLP and attacking passer.
  • Kanté beside him, who beyond his defensive excellence can carry the ball with lightning fast runs.
  • Passarella as the proper DLP from the back, who can also take matters in his own hand driving forward. Massive goal threat both from direct freekicks and corners.
  • Lahm, who beyond his buildup playmaker excellence can seriously dynamise the final third attacking game with his quick passing & movement.
  • Cole and Alisson, who are technically outstanding among their positional peers. They're crucial to the fluidity and quick circulation in buildup, the basis upon which our attacking game rests. Cole will also advance on the left flank, naturally.
Even Bergomi can be a serious threat, should he see an opportunity - my favourite surprise dash of his, cutting all through Sacchi's Milan from the CB position:

So a wealth of attacking potential throughout the team, countless routes to take, and in our eyes a collective that lifts each other, allowing our offensive players to play at their devastating attacking best.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So, intro. This team was made by luck mostly and me being dumb not to read the rules. I've started to build a team thinking that once you pick a player all clubs that he played for are blocked. That is why I went for Blokhin and then I was on Scirea --> Tigana/Elkjaer route. Luckily, just as I was about to make my 2nd pick someone mentioned that it is only related to an era. Nevermind, once that got into my head I realized that Van Basten and then Laudrup, Redondo route is open. As with all drafts, picking teams are the most fun part, but I genuinely jumped once it got to me I could field Redondo/Laudrup midfield to pair with Van Basten and Blokhin.

Now, we Redondo fanatics are a strange bunch. But, anyone who really witnessed Redondo at his absolute best was in love with a player. He is underrated. There was a @Raees thread about him about 20 days ago and I hold on from replaying at the time.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how-good-was-redondo.473793/

Raees knows football and I love his channels, but saying that Redondo needed to have a defensive partner in midfield and a more creative role upfront is like saying you need a winger in a 4-4-2. It goes beyond question. I mean, which number 6, or number 6/8 hybrid (because he is closest thing to Frenkie de Jong only much better) doesn't need that? There was not a single DM who was judged the way Redondo just because Redondo was such a complete player. The only DM who had such influence on both sides of the pitch. There were maybe some better in defensive sense (not many in my opinion), maybe some in offensive sense or if you have a counter attackinng team you will chose Pirlo for example, but none of them could do it all on such a high level.

Year is 1994 for when Real Madrid bought Redondo and that same team didn't win European Cup for 28 years. The same Real Madrid that is now known as the sure thing to win it. With a Redondo lead midfield they win it finally again in 1997/98 and in 1999/2000. Of course Redondo wasn't the only reason, but his stamp on their midfield was immense. I agree with Raees that he did need a creative presence upfront to really lift the team, but it wasn't Laudrup who was also a bit old at the time or past it Diego who made Redondo better, but the other way around. He brought both of them back to their youth. Feck, he made Maradona look like Maradona again in 1994.

Combination Redondo - Maradona against Greece.

One of my favorites game of Redondo...

https://www.managingmadrid.com/2020...hletic-bilbao-5-0-real-madrid-1996-highlights

This game is known as "La Noche De Michael Laudrup", but it was pretty much all Redondo.

Luis Enrique on left back is probably the most hilarious thing. :lol:

A pretty much classic 4-4-2 because Laudrup really prefered that left side and could pick a dangerous cross at all times. But Redondo was running the game. The point am trying to make is something that @antohan mentioned in our first game and I was a bit baffled with it. What if Laudrup gets shut down, who will be creative hub of the team? First of all, Laudrup thrived in a dynamic, fluid system his whole life. If there is an open game and back to back action which this game should provide he is impossible to be contained because there will be space and options all around. Even if he gets shut down, this version of Van Basten was all action striker who was both provider, scorer and could break any team coming from the deeper areas. If he gets closed down or the other team puts focus on him, Redondo will run the game from him behind. Pretty much, a perfect storm. And that is not even mentioning Blokhin or Chislenko.

One of the most baffling thing in football considering Argentina struggle after Maradona is Passarella (ironically) not calling Redondo for 1998 WC after he broke Madrid European curse.

In my opinion, Redondo was the most complete DM ever.* And Gio even though I absolutely love Zico as false 9, open the field just a bit more for him to dominate.

*have to take in consideration. Am Redondo fanboy, so might be subjective. Am not wrong though, he was immense.
Kante is a perfect Karembeu/Luis Enrique/Simeone type that Redondo thrived on and you’ve got a proven partnership with Laudrup too so no complaints from me.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Kante is a perfect Karembeu/Luis Enrique/Simeone type that Redondo thrived on and you’ve got a proven partnership with Laudrup too so no complaints from me.
Yeah, it is a great midfield combo imo. I saw your instagram post and I agreed with it fully. Just thought he is a bit harshly judged, defensive, offensive, influence in the last third and protecting the defence. Tbf, he did all those things and as I say there were better players in certain aspects, but none had it all on such level imo.

But am also biased as I said and that play it's part too.

Good game @Gio, love how you did mix things in what was a very tough draft. I did like Benzema in the team, but Zico is also great solution as a false 9. And again another match where no one mentioned Simonsen. Congrats to @Synco also for taking the lead. I will claim my 3rd title (with Synco) though just to have more then Bepo.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Oops, came here to vote but too late :(

Well done both, superb first drafting

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good game @Gio, that was a tough oppo team, as every time we meet. You just know it's an all-time draft when guys like Simonsen or Zanetti are barely mentioned. Would especially love to find out more about Simonsen in the future.
Well done both, superb first drafting
Yeah, that draft win was all about Beam's original team, just perfect drafting. Don't even think any of the post-RR versions were actually better than the original one. Just a few stylistic changes in the backline.
I will claim my 3rd title (with Synco) though just to have more then Bepo.
Hm, do I sense friction? :D

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Congrats to both Synco and Jim. May you guys blessed with many babies.

Anywhoo.. With all those restrictions, both teams still come with those all time-greats. Incredible visions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nice clip

-This shows that Messi's dribbling style is closer to Zico's than Maradona's. So smooth and effective.
I generally think that Zico is probably the closest thing we’ve had to Messi before Messi. Their skillset, dribbling style, insane goalscoring numbers & playmaking… none of the other number 10s or forwards came closer to him stylistically.