Decades Draft Tournament : Cutch vs Theon

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
PLAYER PROFILES

GORDON BANKS – One of the greatest goalkeepers of all time along with the likes of Yashin, Zoff and Schmeichel. Word Cup winner for England in 1966 and pulled off that save against Pele four years later. A goalkeeping legend he is the perfect man to combat the threat of Messi.

Banks against Pele in from the 1970 World Cup - notice the sole goal of the game from none other than Jairzinho, who also provided the cross for Pele's header

Attributes - Reflexes, Shot-stopping, Consistency

CARLOS ALBERTO – Captain of the best international side in history and arguably the best right back of all time. Carlos Alberto was best associated for his attacking contributions like most Brazilian fullbacks, but was also fantastic in defense and could play as a central defender.

Like Cafu he has great stamina and provides the constant threat of the overlap, whilst being the more technical footballer and a far better passer. A natural leader on the pitch Alberto also scored one of the great World Cup goals in the 1970 World Cup Final. Linking up with Jairzinho again is about as proven a right flank in the entire draft.

Attributes - Passing, Technique, Tackling

DANIEL PASSARELLA – Argentina’s imperious World Cup winning captain and considered by many the all time best defender from South America.

A classic libero with tremendous technical ability and an outstanding scoring record, Passarella combines unquestionable class with a fiery temperament and aggression. His supreme ability in possession is the perfect accompaniment to Xavi as he enables the team to build from the back, whilst possessing the long range passing to expose Stobz narrow team with passes out to the wingers.

Attributes - Heading, Tackling, Leadership

FRANCO BARESI – Defensive rock and leader of the AC Milan side which ruled world football two decades ago. His footballing intelligence was a marvel to behold - a prescient reading of the game, unmatched speed of thought and flawless decision-making. This is combined with a complete authority and leadership in defense which raises the level of those around him.

Also a master of instigating attacks from the back with supreme passing ability, as seen below

Attributes - Complete defensive intelligence, Positioning, Passing

ROBERTO CARLOS – Instrumental player in the Madrid Galatico's and the ultimate attacking fullback, Carlos stretched the pitch and completely owned the left flank for both Real Madrid and Brazil. Famous for his exceptional stamina and lightning quick speed – he will bomb up the left to create a 2 vs 1 against Suurbier.

This is the exact role that Carlos perfected at Real Madrid which led him to numerous awards including twice being named UEFA Defender of the Year and coming second to Ronaldo in the FIFA World Player of the Year in 1997 and runner up in the 2002 Ballon D’Or.

Attributes - Speed, Stamina, Technique

JEAN TIGANA – European Championship winner and voted second in the 1984 Ballon d’Or - Tigana was an instrumental part of the French ‘Magic Square’ and is widely considered the best ever French centre midfielder ahead of the likes of Viera and Makelele.

Box to box colossus with limitless stamina and an inch perfect tackle, he provides defensive solidity whilst fitting perfectly with the possession orientated midfield.

Attributes - Stamina, Tackling, Passing

XAVI HERNANDEZ – Unrivalled passing master and best midfielder since the turn of the century. Instrumental part of arguably the best club side of all time, winning 3 Champions Leagues with Barcelona, as well as the heart of the Spanish national team winning two consecutive European Championships and the 2010 World Cup.

One of the best passers in the history of the game, he will dominate possession with Maradona and Tigana whilst constantly looking for the through ball to Ronaldinho/Ronaldo/Jairzinho.

Attributes - Passing, Control of the game, Creativity

DIEGO MARADONA - The greatest footballer of all time and the hub of the team. Maradona was not only the most creative and scintillating dribbler of all time, but was also arguably the games best ever passer.

However it is not just his phenomenal ability with a ball at his feet, but the charisma and propensity to lift those around him to a higher level that really sets him apart.

Attributes - Dribbling, Passing, Influence

JAIRZINHO – Brazilian wizard and part of the best ever international football team of all time -1970 Brazil in which he achieved the unbelievable record of scoring in every single game including the final.

Quick and explosive with fantastic dribbling ability he can shoot either side of the fullback and either create or score himself.

Attributes - Dribbling, Acceleration, Shooting

RONALDINHO – Equally talented brazillian on the left wing, Ronaldinho’s peak is as good as any in the history of the game. FIFA World Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year and Ballon d'Or winner, Ronaldinho possesses incredible touch & close control, unstoppable dribbling ability and the penchant for the spectacular.

One of his best moments came in the 2005/06 season when he single handedly dismantled Real Madrid at the Bernebeu - getting a standing ovation from the Madrid fans no less.

Attributes - Dribbling, Technique, Passing

RONALDO - His peak in 1996-1998 is absolutely unmatched. Explosive pace, power, balance, technique and extraordinary dribbling ability. 47 goals in 49 games at Barcelona before moving to Inter Milan and winning the Ballon d'Or as well as the Golden Ball at the 1998 World Cup as Player of the Tournament.

If it were not for the injuries at Inter Milan Ronaldo would quite possibly be regarded as the greatest footballer of all time.

Attributes - Dribbling, Speed, Shooting

SUBSTITUTES
MANUEL AMOROS – The best right back during the 1980’s and member of the fantastic French team of 1982-86. Tenacious, quick and with great stamina Amoros possessed a brilliant long passing game. Voted the best fullback at the World Cup and then voted 4th in the 1986 Ballon D’Or – an absolute rarity for a fullback.

CIRO FERRARA – Captain of the brilliant Zidane/Davids/Ferrara Juventus team of the 1990’s reaching three consecutive Champions League finals. Classy and elegant defender with great positioning.

MAURO RAMOS – Brazilian master who captained the national team to victory at the 1962 World Cup in Chile.

Ramos won the Copa Libertadores, Brazilian National Cup, Sao Paolo state championship and World Cup all within the same year in 1962 making him one of South America's most successful ever defenders. A classy defender and excellent marker who was rarely beaten in the air, like Passarella Ramos was also famous for his mental toughness and ability to inspire players around him - a natural captain and leader.

ANDREA PIRLO - The greatest deeplying playmaker in the history of the game. His long range passing is absolutely perfect for getting the ball behind the defence through to Ronaldinho and Jairzinho. Time and time again Pirlo will ping the ball out wide and let the wingers terrorise the opposition defence.

JIMMY GREAVES – The most prolific striker in the history of English football.

- 44 goals in 57 games for England
- scored 30 goals in a season on nine separate occasions
- 1960-1963 he scored 126 goals in just 137 games.

Greaves' natural movement and finishing ability will be perfect foil for the talented wingers in the side. Brazilian flair and creativity mixed with ruthless killer instinct.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Roberto Carlos is getting hugely underrated here, one thing he had in absolute abundance was electric pace - he was completely lightning, and more than able to get forward and back in time. He did it for Real Madrid for 10 years.

Getting forward and getting back is what his entire game is based around, the idea that him going forward is going to result in endless chances for Cutch to exploit is way off. Antohan was spot on before when he said that its around 30 yards, and in a previous draft Snow brought up the fact that fullbacks get forward all the time in the modern game and it doesnt just leave these huge gaping holes in the defence.

Carlos became the best of his generation in attacking as a fullback, he has a mastery of how to burst forward and his pace/stamina enables him to get back into position.

Winning La Liga, three Champions Leagues and the World Cup, whilst being names Defender of the Year twice, and coming 2nd in the FIFA World Player of the Year and Ballon D’Or European Footballer of the Year - how many fullbacks have done that?

Someone can correct me but I don't think any fullback has ever come as high in the Ballon D'Or or FIFA World Player of the Year - even Maldini didn't.

Basically all I'm saying is that he is not this joke of a defender that some in here are trying to make him out to be.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The weakest defender on the pitch is without a doubt Suurbier - And he is up against Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos

This is the exact type of mismatch that you can't afford at this level.

Suurbier is out of his depth at this level. Hell, he was the weakest on the park for club and country and isn't even playing total football here.
Agree about Suurbier. I did think about picking him, but frankly didn't rate him beyond his energy. On the ball he was pretty poor and is one of these players who were successful by association. In effect if he wasn't part of Holland's great 1970s team, he'd be nowhere near this draft (and probably wouldn't get into a '40s one).
I found Suurbier fo be the most unimpressive of Ajax's back four
[On Suurbier] People really have bugger all idea how average he was, clearly. Classic case of "I don't know the fullback so unless he is facing Ronaldo/Rivaldo/Ronnie/Best -and maybe one or two more- I'll assume he is fine". He isn't. He's getting raped.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Someone can correct me but I don't think any fullback has ever come as high in the Ballon D'Or or FIFA World Player of the Year - even Maldini didn't.

Basically all I'm saying is that he is not this joke of a defender that some in here are trying to make him out to be.
Well Facchetti did as well and he's a good barometer because, in an attacking sense, he is the only one who rivals the contributions of Carlos hurtling forward. Facchetti was by some distance a better defender though and it's no coincidence that many of the greatest full-backs move into and excel in central roles later in their career (Facchetti, Maldini, Zanetti, Krol, Bossis), which is something Carlos would never have the nous to do well.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Yeah Facchetti is the only fullback to place that high, along with Roberto Carlos.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You are exaggerating how much Carlos will be upfront. I dunno where Gio got the idea Theon would have the most possession, I don't think that's the case. Most of the time he is soaking pressure and Carlos will storm forward in quick counters.
Theon has a better ball-playing back four, Xavi (the greatest possession midfielder of all), Maradona and Ronaldinho: that's a hell of a lot of passing quality. He'll be far more comfortable spraying the ball around his defence, particularly with attack-minded full-backs joining the midfield, whereas for Cutch the ball will be shifted out wide to Suurbier and it'll end up in the stands. ;)

That scenario is one which may work in Cutch's favour given the huge potential his team has to counter attack.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's so tempting to just vote based on Ronaldo ahead of Maradona. That's just way too perfect.
1) The best number 10 and the best number 9 of all time, Maradona's passing with Ronaldo's pace and movement is just mouth watering!

I had Iniesta in the last draft and I'm a huge fan of his, but Maradona behind Ronaldo is on another level to Iniesta behind Messi.

2) Then you have to consider the defenses as well - Baresi/Passarella is again on another level to Nesta/Ayala.

Baresi and Passarella would be in the Top 5 central defenders of all time, something like Baresi, Beckenbauer, Scirea, Passarella, Figueroa. I would definitely also have Nesta is that top bracket, possibly even at 6th - so no criticism of Nesta here whatsoever.

But Ayala is a couple of levels below that and by far the worst of the four CB's, yet he is facing the better attack with Diego supplying Ronaldo.

3) On the other hand Cutch has a very good defensive midfield and a powerful argument is that Matthaus could look to sit tight on Maradona.

This is definitely true and Matthaus is so good he could definitely help limit Diego somewhat, but it takes Matthaus out the game and he can't be also doing a job on Xavi/Tigana which hands them the incentive, plus offensively it still leaves 1) Ronaldo vs Ayala and 2) Ronaldinho vs Suurbier

But also - Matthaus won't be able to completely stop Maradona either, no slight on Matthaus at all and it would be a close/brilliant contest - but look at this game here to see Maradona dominating the game despite being up against Matthaus

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
The weakest defender on the pitch is without a doubt Suurbier - And he is up against Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos

This is the exact type of mismatch that you can't afford at this level.
I wouldn't be using quotes from Antohan, given that he was in direct opposition against me at the time and was trying anything by that stage.

Suurbier is more than comfortable at this level. Considered Hollands greatest ever right back and only second overall behind Krol. A 3 time European cup winner and solid performer for club and country. He's used to playing alongside world class teammates and he's got that again here. Playing in the Total Football sides he was very comfortable on the ball and a powerful runner goin forward. He wouldn't be a standout performer but he's more than competent.

Edit: Just seen the 'against Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos' bit and as i said in the OP and explained later this simply won't be the case. This 2v1 should not materialise with the defensive plan i have in place. Going the other way now, against Roberto Carlos, now that's another story.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I wouldn't be using quotes from Antohan, given that he was in direct opposition against me at the time and was trying anything by that stage.
Nahh that's not true, Suurbier was slated in the first game against Gio and Antohan had the exact same opinion then, but he wasn't playing you.

Suurbier is definitely the weakest on the pitch and Ronaldinho could really exploit that, especially with Roberto Carlos doubling up.

Suurbier will be a deer in headlights against those two!

Cutch

Nahh that's not true, Suurbier was slated in the first game against Gio and Antohan had the exact same opinion then, but he wasn't playing you.

Suurbier is definitely the weakest on the pitch
I think you will get some joy down that side in truth. It does seem like your best outlet. Having said that I think I'm also going to get a lot of joy on that side. I think I've got decent cover to mitigate the damage, As per the OP Iniesta will help out, Matthaus is box to box and then Suurbier + Ayala is a pretty decent unit. You've got Carlos, Passarella and maybe Xavi to stop Best and Suurbier. I think I've got the slight advantage in that battle

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think you will get some joy down that side in truth. It does seem like your best outlet. Having said that I think I'm also going to get a lot of joy on that side. I think I've got decent cover to mitigate the damage, As per the OP Iniesta will help out, Matthaus is box to box and then Suurbier + Ayala is a pretty decent unit. You've got Carlos, Passarella and maybe Xavi to stop Best and Suurbier. I think I've got the slight advantage in that battle
I don't think it would ever play out with Iniesta and Matthaus dropping in at right back to help deal with Ronaldinho, particularly in a game like this. There is so much quality on the pitch that players won't/can't keep getting dragged out to help out other team mates. They have there own battles going on which is the main thing - All the players do!

I mean I thought Matthaus is on Maradona? If he leaves him to bail out Suurbier its just leaving Diego to cause damage, and he doesn't need to be given that chance. Like I said all players have their own battles going on, because the quality is so high across the pitch.

If Iniesta is helping out at attacking midfield then of course Xavi is, not that either would be doing much which is why I wouldn't mention it for either of us. Of the two Xavi will offer much more though, he's actually sitting as a deep centre mid and Iniesta is up as a number 10.

It comes down mostly to Ayala/Suurbier and Passarella/Roberto Carlos - I have a huge advantage there.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Theon.

Better attack, better defence. And in my opinion has the number 1 + 2 centre backs of all time accompanied by one of the best goalkeepers ever. With the best player of all time orchestrating his attack.

Thisistheone

Theon.

Better attack, better defence. And in my opinion has the number 1 + 2 centre backs of all time accompanied by one of the best goalkeepers ever. With the best player of all time orchestrating his attack.
Agree with this.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Theon has a better ball-playing back four, Xavi (the greatest possession midfielder of all), Maradona and Ronaldinho: that's a hell of a lot of passing quality. He'll be far more comfortable spraying the ball around his defence, particularly with attack-minded full-backs joining the midfield, whereas for Cutch the ball will be shifted out wide to Suurbier and it'll end up in the stands. ;)
I agree about the marked difference in passing ability between the teams. Not sure it translates into more possession though given how dominant I expect Matthaus-Breitner to be. I think what it indicates is -as I pointed out elsewhere- is how much Cutch would struggle to build up in his own half, but once the ball is up there I can see him retaining it quite well.

Truth is though, I don't know. As I pointed out, Iniesta-Messi played in a very different style to Matthaus-Breitner-Rummenigge, now add Best... I have no problem admitting I have no idea how it could pan out, looks broken to me.

That scenario is one which may work in Cutch's favour given the huge potential his team has to counter attack.
But he can't get the ball out quick or well enough. I pretty much see Suurbier and Ayala aimlessly blasting it forward, Nesta probably as well seeing as he is meant to be on Ronaldo and if he leaves Ronaldo behind him it would be Maradona ahead. Trying to find Matthaus/Breitner centrally could be dangerous. feck it, long punt here we go. Maldini is the best outlet really, but the danger is actually coming largely from the opposite flank so he is a couple of passes away... across the box...

Nah, punt forward, and Passarella will intercept those for fun. His head will hurt by the end of the game, but Cutch has no one who can challenge him aerially.

antohan

I stand by everything I said. He is far and away the worst fullback on the pitch, out of his depth post first round and the only reason you get away with it is people have a tendency not to vote against what they don't know. That's how the likes of Gary Kelly have won a draft, or how you almost got away with Eyzaguirre until I dug out a clip showing him in his fabled FIFA All-Star game.

He was rubbish, so is Suurbier.

Edit: Just seen the 'against Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos' bit and as i said in the OP and explained later this simply won't be the case. This 2v1 should not materialise with the defensive plan i have in place. Going the other way now, against Roberto Carlos, now that's another story.
Iniesta tracking back Carlos, yeah, and magically appearing at the other end leading the counterattacking 1-2s with Messi... Carlos can't get back in time to deal with Best but Iniesta teleports himself across the pitch...This is the sot of nonsense I ranted on about, and I don't give a shit if these have turned into popularity contests to exchange pleasantries, I was right.

So Iniesta has Carlos, Matthaus has Maradona, Rummenigge has Carlos Alberto...

That leaves Breitner on Xavi and Tigana, right?

The fact is Iniesta will get nowhere near tracking Carlos because he will be needed in midfield, makes more sense for him to be there counter-wise, and he will be there full stop. It's a 2v1 of Ronnie and Carlos on Suurbier with Ayala covering and Matthaus committed to Maradona, and a 2v1 of Best and Suurbier on Carlos with Passarella's cover and Xavi able to help here and there. I fancy the Ronnie-Carlos flank over the Suurbier-Best flank by a couple of clear goals.

Again, it should have always been Rummenigge and Bretiner on that flank affording your weakest fullback greater protection. You've moved them to their less familiar side, where their workrate and defensive contribution aren't needed much, just to exploit the "Best will tie Carlos up in knots" angle.

Nonsense, just marketing nonsense, there's no way in hell Breitnigge would be shifted to the left by any sensible manager in real life. I alluded to this in our game and the answer was "Breitner is man of the match". You are thoroughly misusing the assets you have there.

Moby

Dick
Yeah Suurbier's clearly the weakest of the lot, he's got his work cut out.

Don't quite agree that Cutch team will play route 1 football for 90 minutes just because they don't have a renowned sniper at the back. They're no Baresi or Scirea or Kaiser but they're no mugs either. With Best and Iniesta dropping deep I can see the buildup quite smooth actually. Pace of it is something that is a bit too precise IMO and cannot really be imagined easily. As Gio rightly pointed out, Cutch can really be deadly on the counter.

I also see Theon having more possession.

antohan

Don't quite agree that Cutch team will play route 1 football for 90 minutes just because they don't have a renowned sniper at the back. They're no Baresi or Scirea or Kaiser but they're no mugs either. With Best and Iniesta dropping deep I can see the buildup quite smooth actually. Pace of it is something that is a bit too precise IMO and cannot really be imagined easily. As Gio rightly pointed out, Cutch can really be deadly on the counter.
I didn't say he will play route 1 all game, how would I be thinking that when I think Theon may get less possession?

What I'm saying is that, while the people upfront are great for the counter, there's no credible outball to exploit that. I'm not saying they can't slowly build up with square balls, but "quick outball" would be "unprecise forward punt" with that backline.

They either won't do it or it will be fruitless, i.e. your stated 9/10 probability of constant 1v1s for Messi-Baresi and Best-Passarella will never materialise.

Moby

Dick
But you can have quick counters without long range passing no? For example the Rooney goal against Arsenal in 2010 where he won it in front of defense, gave it to Nani who ran with it in space pretty much like Bestie can do and what he did a lot and at the end just gave it back to Rooney who slotted it home. There were zero long range passes involved and the goal happened in 9 seconds end to end. Ronaldo against Arsenal in 2009 was not much different.

antohan

But you can have quick counters without long range passing no? For example the Rooney goal against Arsenal in 2010 where he won it in front of defense, gave it to Nani who ran with it in space pretty much like Bestie can do and what he did a lot and at the end just gave it back to Rooney who slotted it home. There were zero long range passes involved and the goal happened in 9 seconds end to end. Ronaldo against Arsenal in 2009 was not much different.
Sure, but then Carlos recovering isn't an issue, is it?

That's my point, you can't have your cake and eat it. You can't make it sound like Carlos has to get to the other end of the pitch to deal with Best and then explain you won't be punting it because he is coming and starting the move from in front of the defence.

Point is, Carlos will be fine and all that losing shape and various 1v1s constantly materialising is complete nonsense. It will happen once or twice, no more.

Moby

Dick
As I said it really is a matter of real preciseness and one can't foresee that, all depends on how soon Best gets the ball. Would there be scenarios where he gets it soon enough to get a head start? surely.

Moby

Dick
I don't see as a long ball counter and I don't think I've said that, I said earlier too that bigger chance is Bestie coming deeper, he wasn't someone like CR who would wait in the final third standing doing nothing, he'd be always available for a pass long or short, and if he gets it quickly enough which I can see happening a lot, he's off. Against him you need time more than anything to get a hang on his movement, a player who is at full burst from the other corner flag will at best be putting a crunching tackle to stop him, instead of reading his pass or forcing him wide when he wants to cut in etc.

A fullback known far better for his defending than Carlos and also a bronze winner of the Ballon D'or that is Schnellinger got absolutely toasted when all he tried was to sit back and defend. Now you have someone who is okay not great in defensive astuteness, reading the play, tactical nous etc making a sprint from the other side before he can even think what he's gonna do. Ball's in Bestie court.

Cutch

feck. Not lookin good here. However with players like Lionel and George on the pitch and big game players like Breitner Matthaus and Iniesta we won't be throwin the towel in.

feck it, I'm goin on the rip with George after the game win or lose

Moby

Dick
Ooh just checked the voting, the gap is a surprise considering how close other (cough cough) games have gone on to be much closer.

Tough luck Cutch if you lose it, thought you were good to go all the way.

No love for Don Andres. :(

Cutch

Aye that Theon cnut with all his nice pictures and videos at the start of the 2nd page hasn't helped, that's an Antohan trick that one :lol:

Right, i'm away on the rest of my journey here. Literally posting from a layby at the side of the road. Hoping on a few of the regulars to show up that seemed to like my team throughout. Surely I'll get a certain Germans vote!

Later guys

antohan

I don't see as a long ball counter and I don't think I've said that, I said earlier too that bigger chance is Bestie coming deeper, he wasn't someone like CR who would wait in the final third standing doing nothing, he'd be always available for a pass long or short, and if he gets it quickly enough which I can see happening a lot, he's off. Against him you need time more than anything to get a hang on his movement, a player who is at full burst from the other corner flag will at best be putting a crunching tackle to stop him, instead of reading his pass or forcing him wide when he wants to cut in etc.

A fullback known far better for his defending than Carlos and also a bronze winner of the Ballon D'or that is Schnellinger got absolutely toasted when all he tried was to sit back and defend. Now you have someone who is okay not great in defensive astuteness, reading the play, tactical nous etc making a sprint from the other side before he can even think what he's gonna do. Ball's in Bestie court.
That's a more fair assessment than saying "if Carlos attacks Best is left 1v1 versus Passarella 9 out of 10 times", which was your initial assessment. Carlos will attack, that's what he is there to do, there will be occasions whereby that is an issue but it won't be a continuous pattern all game long.

I'm not arguing Best is nullified anyway, what I'm arguing is Best, allegedly "supported" by Suurbier (far less likely to recover in time) against Carlos, with Passarella the cover and Xavi rather free to try pick/delay him when he starts his run is a far less worrying prospect than Suurbier facing Carlos and Ronaldinho, with Ayala covering and the midfielder on that side too busy leeching onto Maradona.

Cutch is far far more exposed than Theon on that flank, that's the point. The point also is that it is all his own doing, play Breitnigge (or even just Breitner) on the right and he would be in a far less precarious situation.

antohan

Aye that Theon cnut with all his nice pictures and videos at the start of the 2nd page hasn't helped, that's an Antohan trick that one :lol:
I was well impressed, I have to say. I checked in last night and saw theon posting several short posts and thought "hehe, he has something up his sleeve for post #41". BOOM. :lol:

They learn so fast... :D

Moby

Dick
Yeah agreed that's a weird thing to do. Would have been okay if Lothar was free to help that side which he isn't.

As for being exposed, Best on the counter in space is the least ideal scenario IMO, you cannot really get away with it. I do see lightning quick counters with Iniesta and Best both dropping deep and in no time they are playing it within themselves, one touch and the ball is gone out of sight, and Messi would also be deeper when his team is defending so that's a load of pacy one touch counter which is devastating. I think it is a lot more dangerous than a long range sniper picking Bestie out with one pass as this one's got more movement and option going forward and the pace is still there to make Carlos chasing it all the way back.

antohan

Yeah agreed that's a weird thing to do. Would have been okay if Lothar was free to help that side which he isn't.

As for being exposed, Best on the counter in space is the least ideal scenario IMO, you cannot really get away with it. I do see lightning quick counters with Iniesta and Best both dropping deep and in no time they are playing it within themselves, one touch and the ball is gone out of sight, and Messi would also be deeper when his team is defending so that's a load of pacy one touch counter which is devastating. I think it is a lot more dangerous than a long range sniper picking Bestie out with one pass as this one's got more movement and option going forward and the pace is still there to make Carlos chasing it all the way back.
Absolutely, the only point with the "sniper shots" was he can't execute them and thus it isn't an option and therefore Carlos doesn't have the entire pitch to track back but about 30mts, which he would cover most of before Best has even received the ball.

As you said re: my counters with Eusebio (a counter specialist), Joya (a counter specialist), Facchetti (a counter specialist) and Garrincha (a defender's nightmare)... there's clearly one goal there. :smirk:

BTW, you are doing the same you did in my game, which is why I'm sticking up for Theon here. According to Cutch, Iniesta is tracking Carlos, but in you come and say he is starting counters from deep with Best (something which makes far more sense to me). Theon would be entitled to complain people are making up various conflicting instructions to suit the argument. He would get blasted of course, and people would bemoan his complaints and cheap shots, etc. So yeah, I'm here to keep you honest and spare Theon the aggravation ;)

Moby

Dick
Absolutely, the only point with the "sniper shots" was he can't execute them and thus it isn't an option and therefore Carlos doesn't have the entire pitch to track back but about 30mts, which he would cover most of before Best has even received the ball.

As you said re: my counters with Eusebio (a counter specialist), Joya (a counter specialist), Facchetti (a counter specialist) and Garrincha (a defender's nightmare)... there's clearly one goal there. :smirk:

BTW, you are doing the same you did in my game, which is why I'm sticking up for Theon here. According to Cutch, Iniesta is tracking Carlos, but in you come and say he is starting counters from deep with Best (something which makes far more sense to me). Theon would be entitled to complain people are making up various conflicting instructions to suit the argument. He would get blasted of course, and people would bemoan his complaints and cheap shots, etc. So yeah, I'm here to keep you honest ;)
Yeah saw that earlier and it's fair really. Keeps the thread up and active, no harm done.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

Right, i'm away on the rest of my journey here. Literally posting from a layby at the side of the road. Hoping on a few of the regulars to show up that seemed to like my team throughout. Surely I'll get a certain Germans vote!

Later guys
Hope you're not counting on me. As much as it hurts to vote against Breitnigge (it doesn't really hurt to vote against Matthäus), I think Theon deserves to go through. Sorry mate, enjoy your trip.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Went for Cutch. The biggest mismatch on the pitch is already Best v Carlos and if Carlos is pushing forward as instructed, it'll be Best v nobody at times. Obviously cover will arrive, but the midfield cover is weak at this level while the defence will inevitably be stretched, creating space for Best, Messi, Rummenige and Iniesta, never mind which of Breitner or Matthaus joins the party. I also reckon that once Matthaus gets going on one of his legendary carry-the-ball-and-thump-it-home runs, there won't be serious opposition to overcome until he reaches Baresi or Passarella, by which point it may well be too late.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Think I mentioned before that I would've gone with Breitner at RB and Rivera into the midfield if I was in cutch's position, probably won't have won it for him though, Theons team though light in the midfield battle is amazing in all other areas.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Went for Cutch. The biggest mismatch on the pitch is already Best v Carlos and if Carlos is pushing forward as instructed, it'll be Best v nobody at times.
Cheers for giving your reasons.

I really rate you as a poster but can't agree with this at all. There is a far bigger mismatch on that flank let alone the rest of the pitch.

Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos vs Suurbier who you yourself said this about,

Agree about Suurbier. I did think about picking him, but frankly didn't rate him beyond his energy. On the ball he was pretty poor and is one of these players who were successful by association. In effect if he wasn't part of Holland's great 1970s team, he'd be nowhere near this draft (and probably wouldn't get into a '40s one).
Yet he's against probably the strongest left flank attacking wise in the game.