Decades Draft Tournament : Stobzilla vs Theon

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah fair enough. Tbh this whole draft has felt like it contains a few managerial rivalries. Perhaps a lot of drafts in quick succession has resulted in a Mourinho v guardiola type rivalry. Which influences votes.
Which is why should have stayed in retirement. I much prefer laughing at Theon's random teamsheet-generation abilities on private convos.

It being an opportunity to pick old players was too good to turn down but wound up being a major disappointment with the way some of the oldies have been treated.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Spent ages thinking about this but just couldn't look beyond Theon's near perfect attack. Still have misgivings that I'm not giving Stob's superior grit and ball-winning ability in midfield due weight. I'd decided to vote for Stob an hour ago but got distracted!

antohan

Looks like you've won it though, congrats.

Cutch-Theon will be one hell of a game! Shame I won't be around.

antohan

Spent ages thinking about this but just couldn't look beyond Theon's near perfect attack. Still have misgivings that I'm not giving Stob's superior grit and ball-winning ability in midfield due weight. I'd decided to vote for Stob an hour ago but got distracted!
That would have drawn it! Penos! God, what have you done :(

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The midfield isn't bad either mate!

If you take the 5 CM's the ranking would be - Xavi, Keane, Tigana, Masopust (?), Gerrard

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Horrible game, glad that's over

Nothing to do with Stobz himself who is a cracking lad and my pick to win if he went through, just really didn't like the debate in this one

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
WP to Theon, I really wish I had more time to go through how exactly I would be combatting Theon's width. Depending on his picks I reckon he stands a good chance of winning the whole thing.

Been fun, think this has probably been my strongest draft showing thus far. Look forward to the next one.

antohan

The midfield isn't bad either mate!

If you take the 5 CM's the ranking would be - Xavi, Keane, Tigana, Masopust (?), Gerrard
On what basis? Fame?

On the ball: Xavi, Masopust, Gerrard, Tigana, Keane
Recovering: Keane, Tigana, Masopust, Gerrard, Xavi

Tigana had his work cut out mate, no two ways about it. MotM probably since you won this. You need to sort that out IMO.

antohan

Been fun, think this has probably been my strongest draft showing thus far. Look forward to the next one.
You've done very well indeed. Haven't looked at how you could have best strengthened but that could have been fun. Would you resist Maradona? ;)

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
On what basis? Fame?

On the ball: Xavi, Masopust, Gerrard, Tigana, Keane
Recovering: Keane, Tigana, Masopust, Gerrard, Xavi

Tigana had his work cut out mate, no two ways about it. MotM probably since you won this. You need to sort that out IMO.
:lol: Daft comment. Do you think they were ranked on fame?

I actually had no trouble coming to that ranking, the only debate was whether Masopust was better than Gerrard seeing as there is little footage to go off and I do actually rate Gerrard very highly as a centre mid.

Tigana is comfortably better than Gerrard though.

antohan

:lol: Daft comment. Do you think they were ranked on fame?

I actually had no trouble coming to that ranking, the only debate was whether Masopust was better than Gerrard seeing as there is little footage to go off and I do actually rate Gerrard very highly as a centre mid.

Tigana is comfortably better than Gerrard though.
It's the only criteria that makes that lineup sensible. Saying Xavi is the best midfielder out there is looking only at certain aspects of midfield play, same when ranking Keane second.

Masopust is by all accounts the best all-round midfielder out of that lot and you are questioning whether he is better than Gerrard...

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's the only criteria that makes that lineup sensible. Saying Xavi is the best midfielder out there is looking only at certain aspects of midfield play, same when ranking Keane second.

Masopust is by all accounts the best all-round midfielder out of that lot and you are questioning whether he is better than Gerrard...
There is barely any footage of Masopust, all I know is what I've read online and its slim pickings. To say he's better than either Keane or Xavi is insanity

If you look at the ranking I had him better than Gerrard, the reason a ? is there is because I truly don't know much about him, bar reading some stuff online. In all truth he probably wasn't better than Gerrard but that's another debate that has been done to death.

The ranking was based on just their overall ability as players, the same way you rank any player and say that Nesta is better than Vidic or Ronaldo is better than Drogba etc. Obviously there will be aspects of play in which the worse player is better than the better one, so in those two cases heading for example, or tackling when it comes to Xavi.

Doesn't change Xavi being overall the best of the bunch. He's definitely on the slide right now which isn't great timing for me but once hes retired he will be looked on as one of the games greatest ever midfielders and best ever passer.

antohan

There is barely any footage of Masopust, all I know is what I've read online and its slim pickings. To say he's better than either Keane or Xavi is insanity

If you look at the ranking I had him better than Gerrard, the reason a ? is there is because I truly don't know much about him, bar reading some stuff online. In all truth he probably wasn't better than Gerrard but that's another debate that has been done to death.
You are clearly underrating Masopust. I know the footage is limited to a few World Cup games, and that's why I say "by all accounts" but both on the ball and defensively he was a handful. I agree there will be aspects of the other players' game that would be superior, but none of them would have been held as World Class across AM/CM/DM, no chance.

The ranking was based on just their overall ability as players, the same way you rank any player and say that Nesta is better than Vidic or Ronaldo is better than Drogba etc. Obviously there will be aspects of play in which the worse player is better than the better one, so in those two cases heading for example, or tackling when it comes to Xavi.
It's not the same with midfield players, particularly when you play a midfield two and need them to be all-rounders. You can split hairs on defenders and strikers but ultimately you are looking at defensive or attacking attributes (except with Emile Heskey), with midfielders it is more complex than that.

Doesn't change Xavi being overall the best of the bunch. He's definitely on the slide right now which isn't great timing for me but once hes retired he will be looked on as one of the games greatest ever midfielders and best ever passer.
Not sure about best ever passer but he will be up there as a milestone in midfieldery, no question.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Fair enough I'm not trying to underrate him and the game is finished anyway so were just talking freely, its just hard to judge someone when there is so little to go off. He only really played in the Czech Republic and I mean how good a league was that.

The scrutiny and number of games the likes of Keane and Xavi have played against top quality opposition makes me rate them so much more.

antohan

Fair enough I'm not trying to underrate him and the game is finished anyway so were just talking freely, its just hard to judge someone when there is so little to go off. He only really played in the Czech Republic and I mean how good a league was that.

The scrutiny and number of games the likes of Keane and Xavi have played against top quality opposition makes me rate them so much more.
Which is why I've given up on these drafts, what's the point? Do you really think the 30s World Class tier is limited to Garrincha, Charlton, Edwards, Banks and Charles? It makes no sense, does it? An entire decade produces only five players that could hold their own against the more scrutinised recent ones. Yeah, right.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Calm down man.

Maybe the Czech Republic league was shit hot and Masopust was better than Keane and Xavi..

He probably wasn't though, and your nuts to believe it given the lack of evidence.

I mean its Keane and Xavi for feck sake, you must have seen them shit on opposing midfields a hundred times each.

Also it isn't anything to do with just the decades because the 80's had an even worse pool than the 30's, and the 40's was probably the best of the lot, so it isn't a simple 'more recent = better' scenario