Decades Draft Tournament : VP vs Isotope

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VP

Cheers lads, busy day at work so been following this on and off. Intuitively always felt my team was comfortably more balanced than isotope's but then I'm in the 'football is a simple game' camp.

Special thanks to Theon for being the Queiroz to my Fergie and providing solid tactical justification for me selection, I feel like Mike Phelan.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
VPs recruitment drive... continues (read like how The Apprentice closes each show)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Christ...this game really did divide the neutrals! I'm actually a little bit deflated that Iso lost as I liked his team that much! Well played Vp though, and there wasn't much between them in any case. Baggio seems to be a dismayingly hard sell in his rare appearances in these drafts, unfortunately for me as he was my favourite player as a kid.

antohan

Christ...this game really did divide the neutrals! I'm actually a little bit deflated that Iso lost as I liked his team that much! Well played Vp though, and there wasn't much between them in any case. Baggio seems to be a dismayingly hard sell in his rare appearances in these drafts, unfortunately for me as he was my favourite player as a kid.
Problem with Baggio is you want him as the more creative and technically gifted one in a front two. No one plays front twos in these things except in diamonds, which get blasted for lacking width, and in the favoured 4-2-3-1s he competes with better players for the role behind the striker and, even when better, gets blasted for not contributing to the midfield battle.

Lots of great players get stuffed for this. Among my countrymen: Francescoli, Schiaffino and even Forlán, who had a pretty remarkable peak. They were all better players than some "draft legends" who only conceivably get in ahead of them because they were wide players and quite handy when scraping the barrel for that missing second winger.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yup. You have to put Baggio up top or right behind the striker. Moving him slightly off AMC make him a hindrance to others, and a bit useless in the team play, apparently ;) .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Problem with Baggio is you want him as the more creative and technically gifted one in a front two. No one plays front twos in these things except in diamonds, which get blasted for lacking width, and in the favoured 4-2-3-1s he competes with better players for the role behind the striker and, even when better, gets blasted for not contributing to the midfield battle.

Lots of great players get stuffed for this. Among my countrymen: Francescoli, Schiaffino and even Forlán, who had a pretty remarkable peak. They were all better players than some "draft legends" who only conceivably get in ahead of them because they were wide players and quite handy when scraping the barrel for that missing second winger.
Yup. You have to put Baggio up top or right behind the striker. Moving him slightly off AMC make him a hindrance to others, and a bit useless in the team play, apparently ;) .
Damn shame. There's not many in the modern era that combined that all-time great level of creativity with a consistently very good and occasionally outstanding goal scoring record.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Baggio is definitely highly rated, clearly the problem here was that the team wasnt getting the best out of him.

Fergus' son

He got lambasted in Cutch's side in the All-Time draft.
I don't remember that, for what reason?

I tried to pick him first in the cl draft and picked him 3rd or 4th in another all time draft we did, he's one of my favourite number tens of all time, just don't put him in the same team as Maradona or any of the few ther better number tens than him!

antohan

Seen as out of his depth to pull the strings and not contributing anything to midfield recovery. It may just have been Brwned chucking dirt at Cutch when he had Di Stefano, but I distinctly remember Cutch having a torrid time trying to keep him in the side. In fairness, in that draft you could only pick one player from each nation and picking Baggio meant giving up on tonnes of great Italian defenders. I wouldn't be surprised if most managers had decided Baggio wasn't worth blowing the Italian slot... then that sort of thinking carrying to his assessment during games.

Fergus' son

Was a popular pick early on but this tracking back obsession everyone had meant I had to ditch him as others were packing their midfield
I see, he's a great number ten but is a lot more of an attacker than many of his counterparts so you probably do need to surround him with the right players. I think the comments about him were not far wrong but don't think that means people don't rate him once you're getting the best out of him.

antohan

IIRC he had Robson and Tigana behind a front four of Best-Baggio-Figo and van Basten upfront. It was not far off Jayvin in this draft: swap Figo for Giggs, van Basten for Law, Baggio for Kopa and Tigana for Zito. Cutch probably had better individuals as a whole but Jayvin a strong United theme, both seemed to lack distribution in the centre of the park though, largely because Kopa/Baggio were seen as uninvolved in it and more as forwards than midfielders.

A better known Tigana probably helped Cutch survive and eventually make the final with a strong side, while Zito probably didn't help Jayvin at all.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The only reason I picked on Baggio was because Keane previously marked him out of the game when Baggio was at his peak and Keane was still on the up. He's a quality player if used in the right system but his club career does tell you that unless you use him properly then you're in a bit of bother and there's a mountain of top class #10s. I do think Baggio up top as the Bergkamp-esque support striker and Maradona in behind might've won Isotope more votes though.

antohan

I assumed that was what he was doing all along. Maybe Iso should have been clearer, or maybe he even said something contradictory, but it was confusing enough to safely assume the players would wind up doing what was more effective and suited them better.

In any case, he is out now and rather than taking with him the notion that a less active manager still beat him maybe what he should take away is that the other manager didn't need to be that active because Iso wasn't clear about what he was doing himself in the first place.