Decent players from former times who would have been great in modern teams

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I wonder if Giovinco would have had a better career if he was born ten years later. Very talented but so small, I do imagine he was probably overlooked at times because of his stature. Possibly less important these days than it was then
if anything, he’ll struggle even more now as teams are running and pressing more.

didz

A young Aaron Lennon would make for a pretty good wing back at a top side. Theo Walcott probably has a better career if he appears on the scene a little later.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

if anything, he’ll struggle even more now as teams are running and pressing more.
I think that's actually better for small and not particularly strong players, as long as they have a very good engine and are willing to work off the ball. Structured games with strict reffing where a lot of the intensity is in keeping the right positioning on the move and organised pressing is easier for that athletic type than the more unpredictable, individualistic positioning and far great amount of duels/brutal physicality we saw quite often in pre-mid 00s football.

That said, Giovinco played when the physical side of the game was already being phased out, i can't see him being much different today.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
From the German league and from a lazy „of a top of my head“:

Ze Roberto
Bernd Schneider
Lothar Matthäus
Deisler (<3)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly it would have to be the guys who struggled with serious injuries, lacked professionalism, or struggled with a poor metabolysm

Basically players who'd benefit from moderm sports science

Loon

:lol:
Gordon Hill was probably more than decent, but he'd be great to watch now (as he was then).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Honestly it would have to be the guys who struggled with serious injuries, lacked professionalism, or struggled with a poor metabolysm

Basically players who'd benefit from moderm sports science
Yeah, so less about those guys and more about the guys who'd benefit from change in tactics and different appreciation of what they bring to the table.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I wonder if Giovinco would have had a better career if he was born ten years later. Very talented but so small, I do imagine he was probably overlooked at times because of his stature. Possibly less important these days than it was then
He's Messi's age. He's a contemporary of David Silva, Hazard, Sterling, Iniesta, Xavi, Insigne, etc, etc

His stature was never the problem. His lack of elite speed was. If anything he's the opposite of what this thread is asking for

padr81

Supports
Man City
McGrath, Matthaeus, Beckham, Irwin only decent. The feck are you guys smoking...

Ill go for Eyal Berkovic. Distin was a great shout, Phillipe Albert and Le Saux.