Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

KjaAnd

We're going to regret not signing him. He's criminally underrated by some on here. I really think he will take Arsenal to next level.

rajds89

A lot of money for a player who still doesn’t bridge the gap between them and City. Good player but as I said, it’s a crazy amount of money and as such I’m glad we’re not the ones who have paid it for a change.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We're going to regret not signing him. He's criminally underrated by some on here. I really think he will take Arsenal to next level.
It's like some of you live in different universe where footballing world revolves around ManUtd and other clubs sign players only when ManUtd reject them, also that for every player we are first choice and us alone make the decisions.

We won't regret it as the timing was awful for us and he didn't want to leave London. Also we had other priorities to spend money on.

Ofcourse he is very good player but we can't sign every player.

Irrational.

They’ve overpaid by about £50 million.

Alongside the signing of Havertz and Timber, they’ve really strengthened their spine - even if it has come at a substantial cost.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Good player. Not a great player.

Would probably improve most/any side but think the money he's cost is crazy.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Superb player, who slots into our midfield three immediately.

Along with Odegaard and Partey, Rice allows us a chance to pick up the high level performances we've seen last season.

Welcome to Arsenal, Declan Rice.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Timber - Rice - Havertz is a pretty decent window of improvements, you have to give Arteta that. Spine of their side transformed, albeit for large money.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Where the feck has the £120M fee come from? All the reports, including Ornstein, have said it’s £105M everything included.

JB7

Where the feck has the £120M fee come from? All the reports, including Ornstein, have said it’s £105M everything included.

Journalists don’t understand how currency works so he’s put £ instead of € basically.

Nero

Plettenberg is a clown so it's not surprising he's fecked up.

Mmm-Qatarian

This wall almost certainly end up on one of those "name one of your stupid predictions that turned out to be laughably wrong" threads but here goes.

I think Declan Rice is probably going to be regarded as quite disappointing given the money Arsenal have spent on him. My reasoning here is not that Rice is good insofar as I am still unsure as to how he will translate to playing at a bigger club where the playing style is different and the expectations are much higher.

From a mentality perspective, nothing about Rice's career so far suggests that he'll struggle with the higher expectations. He's handled every step up of his career in his stride, from breaking into the West Ham side as a teenager to becoming their club captain and star man to establishing himself as a national team regular. He's also a really good defensive player, with fantastic athleticism and great positional awareness to go with it.

The main reason I would question the fee Arsenal have spent on Rice, though, is that I'm still uncertain that he is technically on the level to dictate games to the extent that you would expect when spending a nine-figure sum of money. Especially in Arsenal's team right now, what I'd have said was missing was a deep-lying midfielder who on top of shielding the back line is capable of acting as a pivot in the build-up and almost conducting the team with his passing, slowing the tempo when necessary and playing that incisive pass that breaks the opponent's lines when the opportunity arises. I just don't think I've yet seen enough from Rice to make me think that he will do that at a truly elite level.

Ultimately, Rice is still young for a defensive midfielder so he has time to further develop that side of his game. Further, you could make the argument that Rice hasn't been able to demonstrate those qualities simply because the teams he's played in aren't set up in a way that would allow him to do so, and that'd be fair. I don't doubt that Rice is still a very technically proficient player. I just think I'd want to have seen more of that side of his game before spending a British record sum on him, and to be honest if I was going to pay that amount of money for a midfielder as a top team this summer, Caicedo rather than Rice would have been my pick.

zaafi

Plettenberg is such an annoying feck. He is actually clueless and I have no idea how he's not banned on here

mikeyt

Timber - Rice - Havertz is a pretty decent window of improvements, you have to give Arteta that. Spine of their side transformed, albeit for large money.
Tend to agree, three very good signings. That being said if Rice wasn't British, he'd have cost half the price.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
It feels great to make a real statement signing, as it's not something we are used to.

He's a leader, a quality presence around the squad, is one of the best DM's in the league, plays the position in the way the Manager likes, is extremely experienced and is only 24 years old.

I'm not too fussed about prices when players like Antony, Nunez, etc, who had proven much less at the time of their transfer compared to Rice, go for mega fees. If you're going to try and sign the Captain and best player from another EPL side then you're going to pay through the nose. Never mind if they're 24 and English too.

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
If Rice is a great player for us and plays into his 30's, then literally no one will be questioning the transfer fee. It will have been a bargain.

We haven't just paid for potential, we have paid for proven ability. He's already established as a quality EPL midfielder. There should not be any adjustment period.

Golden Nugget

i rate Rice highly and felt he would do well here. However we don’t have unlimited budget and we have Casemiro. As good as he is, he’s not an upgrade on Casemiro and we have many other areas to improve on before going for another DM

TheLord

He is young, will command a handsome resale value even if Arsenal want to sell him in 3-4 years time. If not, he can be the world-class spine of that midfield for another 6 years, easily! I don't understand why people are adamant that he shouldn't have cost what he did.

Half decent players with half decent resale value are going for at least half that sum.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This wall almost certainly end up on one of those "name one of your stupid predictions that turned out to be laughably wrong" threads but here goes.

I think Declan Rice is probably going to be regarded as quite disappointing given the money Arsenal have spent on him. My reasoning here is not that Rice is good insofar as I am still unsure as to how he will translate to playing at a bigger club where the playing style is different and the expectations are much higher.

From a mentality perspective, nothing about Rice's career so far suggests that he'll struggle with the higher expectations. He's handled every step up of his career in his stride, from breaking into the West Ham side as a teenager to becoming their club captain and star man to establishing himself as a national team regular. He's also a really good defensive player, with fantastic athleticism and great positional awareness to go with it.

The main reason I would question the fee Arsenal have spent on Rice, though, is that I'm still uncertain that he is technically on the level to dictate games to the extent that you would expect when spending a nine-figure sum of money. Especially in Arsenal's team right now, what I'd have said was missing was a deep-lying midfielder who on top of shielding the back line is capable of acting as a pivot in the build-up and almost conducting the team with his passing, slowing the tempo when necessary and playing that incisive pass that breaks the opponent's lines when the opportunity arises. I just don't think I've yet seen enough from Rice to make me think that he will do that at a truly elite level.

Ultimately, Rice is still young for a defensive midfielder so he has time to further develop that side of his game. Further, you could make the argument that Rice hasn't been able to demonstrate those qualities simply because the teams he's played in aren't set up in a way that would allow him to do so, and that'd be fair. I don't doubt that Rice is still a very technically proficient player. I just think I'd want to have seen more of that side of his game before spending a British record sum on him, and to be honest if I was going to pay that amount of money for a midfielder as a top team this summer, Caicedo rather than Rice would have been my pick.
Well I think that’s why fans wanted Caicedo more than Rice but Football Managers wanted Rice more than Caicedo.

Rice does something that very few CDM does - Casemiro is the best at it.

It’s the ability to stop an attack before the attack reaches the most clinically dangerous position - the positioning of the central area is completely blocked by Rice’s positioning.

Caicedo can’t do that - Caicedo only can defend by running and terrorizing someone’s attack by trying to intercept their attack before it happens.

Caicedos defending is easier to see on the eye to an average football fan and this is why it’s loved by fans more than Managers - whilst the managers can see that Rice has stopped the attack without even having to make an interception - because he has ultimately positioned himself perfectly to stop the attack progressing, something Caicedo has to do by chasing and sniffing the oppositions back of the neck perfume and match produced bio to do so.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If Rice is a great player for us and plays into his 30's, then literally no one will be questioning the transfer fee. It will have been a bargain.

We haven't just paid for potential, we have paid for proven ability. He's already established as a quality EPL midfielder. There should not be any adjustment period.
If he works out and plays great for Arsenal for the next decade, then yeah his transfer fee will be irrelevant. Same with Enzo.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Shame he was a player I loved watching and wanted to see improve, but IMO he will be regarded as a flop for ultimately going to a club that has limited to no success. Would have loved him to improve bit by bit, be a captain that leads an European dominating English club to 1 or 2 Cls whilst improving England nt at the same time too.

I just don’t think Arteta is that great. Ten Hag looked just as good as Artetas 3 year built team in less than a year.

Arsenal seem like a regular top 4 club now buying flops of the succesful clubs like Zinchenko, Jesus, Havertz, Odegaard and maybe even Partey, looking more like a rebuilt good team than a great one like Klopps Liverpool or Peps City.

I do wonder what will happen to Arteta if he misses out in the CL next year,
seems unlikely but not impossible too (possible improvements of Liverpool, United, Newscastle, Chelsea, Tottenham, Aston Villa - with new players or managers) and Rice chose such a move when Arsenal didnt achieve anything of notice this year except just a notice of impr0vement.

Ten hag got 3rd, 2 cup finals & a semi final in less than a year & just 1 transfer window. Madness the different in quality.

It was ultimately not the right fee, not the right time or the right position because we ultimately have Casemiro - something/someone I see as the best and most experienced version of Rice himself.

Last edited:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Tend to agree, three very good signings. That being said if Rice wasn't British, he'd have cost half the price.
Yeah I'm not going to shit on you as multiple others have already proven you wrong.

Even though they aren't fancy signings, at the end of the day quality DM's can be hard to find. So established ones are expensive. The best ones are the lynchpins of their sides and arguably their most important players. Especially when the side is set up the way Pep and Arteta like to play.

miked99

"It's really tough for me to leave West Ham. However, I'm totally doing that. Bye!"

TheLord

Shame he was a player I loved watching and wanted to see improve, but IMO he will be regarded as a flop for ultimately going to a club that has limited to no success. Would have loved him to improve bit by bit, be a captain that leads an European dominating English club to 1 or 2 Cls whilst improving England nt at the same time too.

I just don’t think Arteta is that great. Ten Hag looked just as good as Artetas 3 year built team in less than a year.

Arsenal seem like a regular top 4 club now buying flops of the succesful clubs like Zinchenko, Jesus, Havertz, Odegaard and maybe even Partey, looking more like a rebuilt good team than a great one like Klopps Liverpool or Peps City.

I do wonder what will happen to Arteta if he misses out in the CL next year,
seems unlikely but not impossible too (possible improvements of Liverpool, United, Newscastle, Chelsea, Tottenham, Aston Villa - with new players or managers) and Rice chose such a move when Arsenal didnt achieve anything of notice this year except just a notice of impr0vement.

Ten hag got 3rd, 2 cup finals & a semi final in less than a year & just 1 transfer window. Madness the different in quality.

It was ultimately not the right fee, not the right time or the right position because we ultimately have Casemiro - something/someone I see as the best and most experienced version of Rice himself.
With the way things are shaping up in the Premier League, barring City, the other top-four clubs in England - United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal - probably have an equal chance of missing out on the CL in the next five years. Subtle things like one good or bad transfer can make all the difference. I don't know why you highlighted Rice as a flop transfer.

Makes no sense to me. Are you trying to imply that Arteta's performance was subpar relative to ten Hag's?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

I think the reason Rice was Arsenal's first pick over Caceido was the leadership and character that Rice brings.

He's someone that comes into that dressing room and becomes a leader, and Arsenal were said to lack that, especially with Xhaka leaving.

Immensely popular at West Ham, and within the dressing room at England, he carries himself and has the stature of a captain both on and off the pitch. You just don't see that with Caceido just now. I think that's a big part of the 'overpay'.