Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

eire-red

Unless we have a mountain of cash to spend on the basis the takeover is going to get pushed through, I really don't see how this move is feasible?

Casemiro is still at the peak of his powers. I think Rice is the better shield in front of that back 4 as a pure defensive midfielder. But he doesn't have that X-Factor that Casemiro has. That's what makes him different apart from all the other things he's great at.

It is an upgrade on Eriksen that we need to focus on this summer in midfield, apart from signing a striker of course. FDJ made sense last summer and would make even more sense this summer as I think he would partner with Casemiro perfectly for what we need. But we need to move on and find a player similar.

Rice would be an unnecessary splurge, and won't elevate us as much as fixing other pressing positions with top players would.

Hammondo

Just because it’s odd to you doesn’t make it the truth.

All we know is that quality managers want him and you don’t.
That is such a weak argument because I can just say "we all know that quality managers don't want him" because some don't.

Also due to how many flops we see on a yearly basis, just because some clubs want a player doesn't mean anything.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That is such a weak argument because I can just say "we all know that quality managers don't want him" because some don't.

Also due to how many flops we see on a yearly basis, just because some clubs want a player doesn't mean anything.
Well apparently our manager may want him, so that’s more than enough for me and he has had an impressive debut season in my eyes.

And the team that were 2nd best in England this season want him as well.

And Tuchel.

Hammondo

Well apparently our manager may want him, so that’s more than enough for me and he has had an impressive debut season in my eyes.

And the team that were 2nd best in England this season want him as well.

And Tuchel.
I really don't believe rumours, the vast majority never get proven. 2 of those managers have not really won anything yet, but hey, let's see what happens. If we get him, Kane, and Mount there will be some here expecting a really good season.

NZT-One

We are getting Mount and a Rice or Rabiot. So your questions have all been answered and there really isn’t nothing to worry about. Whether you want Neves Le Fee or Lavia. It doesn’t really matter as long as the profiles are met which they will be.

I understand the topic about money but every year we seem to get lied to so I never get why we always worry about our pockets. :lol:

Last year we reportedly had a £100m budget and we all speculated if it was net or the full amount. We spent way over that and then we got the usual, we used next summers budget just like we keep hearing every summer.

We have money and always have and whether we have to dip into ‘next summers’ budget again to get Kane and Rice it won’t matter as by December we will definitely be under some form of new ownership with a new shirt sponsor to calm any FFP rules.
I like your optimism, thats for sure. Both mentioned players are very good, that isn't something, I would want to question. The money aspects are whats buggin me and therefor, I'd be against it. If money is no issue and as long as more players are brought in (for example, I think regardless of the actual need right now, signing a CB of the Quality of KJM for a good price (assuming the assumed prices are correct) present a great opportunity, that every club should go for) I would join the band waggon. Even though I have to admit, that it doesn't feel right to just go out there and splash the cash on British PL heroes - as being said, that reeks of the "old"strategy, that failed so miserably.

Sorry but he definitely is a possession based manager. His Ajax side were a possession based side and ideally he will have us playing in a similar way to dominate games. He can’t do that atm as the standard of players just isn’t there. Rice plays in a counter attacking team and excels but the other favourite option Caicedo plays in a possession based team and excels. I know which one I’m picking. I just can’t picture rice excelling in a team that plays the way ETH wants us to play.
That is a good point as well and I thought about it as well. All we know about Rice is about him playing for a Moyes side that is quite compact and more often then not setup to be "hard to beat". Again, I absolutely agree that Rice looks like a very good player, but one player won't bring the stabilty of one club to another when he switches side. I think, rather that talking about possession or transition based football, I'd think about the level pressing that we can expect from an ideal ETH side and I think, this is something, that would be a new environment for Rice. Not saying it wouldn't work though, just that it seems to be a new environment. I certainly would go for it and take the risk when we'd talk about 50 or 60 million, but a 100?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are getting Mount and a Rice or Rabiot. So your questions have all been answered and there really isn’t nothing to worry about. Whether you want Neves Le Fee or Lavia. It doesn’t really matter as long as the profiles are met which they will be.

I understand the topic about money but every year we seem to get lied to so I never get why we always worry about our pockets. :lol:

Last year we reportedly had a £100m budget and we all speculated if it was net or the full amount. We spent way over that and then we got the usual, we used next summers budget just like we keep hearing every summer.

We have money and always have and whether we have to dip into ‘next summers’ budget again to get Kane and Rice it won’t matter as by December we will definitely be under some form of new ownership with a new shirt sponsor to calm any FFP rules.
I think Rice is Arsenal-bound. We may get Mount and Rabiot though. Makes perfect sense as we already have Casemiro.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We still need another profile of midfielder
I think we should be fine for now.

Assume we are also going to sell Mctominay and VDB this summer:

Casemiro/Rabiot Eriksen/Mount/Fred
Bruno/Mount
DM/CM backup: Mainoo
AM backup: Mejbri

croadyman

I think we should be fine for now.

Assume we are also going to sell Mctominay and VDB this summer:

Casemiro/Rabiot Eriksen/Mount/Fred
Bruno/Mount
DM/CM backup: Mainoo
AM backup: Mejbri
Who is that player to control tempo and make those incisive passes when required

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Who is that player to control tempo and make those incisive passes when required
Eriksen will control tempo and passing around, Bruno will also help making those incisive passes.

Sure if we could also get someone like FDJ, would be ideal. But theres not many similar type of midfielders around.

Just look at how Real trying to replace Casemiro+Modric+Kroos with Tchouameni+Camavinga+Bellingham. None of them could control tempo or pass like Modric or Kroos. But they are the absolutely best deals Real could make in the current market.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we had 300-350million to throw around this summer, then maybe.
But we won't. 80m striker, then maybe one other starter, but not at the same price point.

Mainoldo

Like someone said, at the level we want there isn’t any around. But Rice is the closest we could get, factoring in our managers ability to improve him.

MyBloodIsRed

How is rice going to feel about playing second fiddle to Casemiro?? he will not get the same kind of game time at United

wolvored

There are plenty of media outlets saying Rice wants Arsenal, as he will be still by his family.
We should really be getting scouting the next Caicedo, to complement and learn from Casemiro, so he can eventually take over.
We need an experienced BTB like De jong. Someone who can drive from the back. Can Rice do that in a possession based team that TH wants us to evolve into? Who knows?

surf

Rice isn't going to sign for us unless he's going to be a starter. He can go to Arsenal and do that. And ETH isn't going to spend 90-100 million on a player unless said player is a starter. So what's the plan here? Where does it leave Casemiro? Unless ETH intends to play them together Rice isn't happening.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The way he becomes a temporary 3rd CB by positioning himself in front of his CB’s, cutting the passing lanes through positioning then anticipates for the right time to make the killer tackle that is absolutely clean as a whistle is beautiful to watch.

He has then added the ability to dribble the ball from that CB positioning all the way to CDM, CM, CAM and even ST positioning before making a pass or scoring a goal. He plays like a dangerous YoYo that invites all the energy then cuts it before starting the attack all by himself.

No other CDM does that.

Ten Hag isn’t a Guardiola like Possesion based manager - he likes his team to have the ability to play with the ball and off the ball and will value a player that can turn the opposition attack in to an own teams attack all by himself.
That's because he is a CB really. He plays in as a midfielder because he's playing for a side that's bottom half of the prem.

There's a reason no one is paying West ham's valuation, it's because he's not worth it in the slightest. I don't agree at all that no CDM does what he does, it's extremely common for CDMs to play as the 3rd CB as Rice does. Dier actually did it to a much higher level than Rice has and the same arguments went around about him at the time we were supposedly interested.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That's because he is a CB really. He plays in as a midfielder because he's playing for a side that's bottom half of the prem.

There's a reason no one is paying West ham's valuation, it's because he's not worth it in the slightest. I don't agree at all that no CDM does what he does, it's extremely common for CDMs to play as the 3rd CB as Rice does. Dier actually did it to a much higher level than Rice has and the same arguments went around about him at the time we were supposedly interested.
I’m saying that no one goes on runs from winning the ball by themselves from CDM. Not that there’s never a CDM that can play CB - even Martinez was one.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I’m saying that no one goes on runs from winning the ball by themselves from CDM. Not that there’s never a CDM that can play CB - even Martinez was one.
Hmm, I'm not sure that's particularly true either, but fair enough. Misunderstood.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
We should get both McAllister and Caicedo and be set for years to come. Instead we are being linked to fancy nothing's like Mount and Rice.

DevilRed

We should get both McAllister and Caicedo and be set for years to come. Instead we are being linked to fancy nothing's like Mount and Rice.
I'd definitely prefer Caicedo over any of the targets we have been linked with so far.

Sadly, there has been nothing at all indicating we are in for him. Zero.

Borninthe80ts

We’ve been linked with a lot of midfielders but I would go with Rice for a few reasons. He has 2 traits similar to Casimero, positioning and aggression which I think have helped the defence no end. He can play in defence so is flexible and knows the league.

Some believe he is a limited passer and I’m not going to argue hard against that but I think he can improve in this area and become more expansive. I think adding to the spine with internationals can only be good and he will be familiar with other members of the team too.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Sorry but he definitely is a possession based manager. His Ajax side were a possession based side and ideally he will have us playing in a similar way to dominate games. He can’t do that atm as the standard of players just isn’t there. Rice plays in a counter attacking team and excels but the other favourite option Caicedo plays in a possession based team and excels. I know which one I’m picking. I just can’t picture rice excelling in a team that plays the way ETH wants us to play.
Maybe Ajax was a possession based team because of the players they had, managers have to adapt to the players they have available and the opposition, an example of that is United, opposition managers realized we're shite at playing out from the back so they changed the way they approached games against us to take advantage of it, and if you look at the teams that have beaten us in recent years they succeeded

C'est Moi Cantona

Only see this as a goer if Maguire going the other way is involved, and lets face it Maguire and Moyes is match made on heaven, so could see this one been more than a lazy rumour.

Gordon S

Nueva Zelanda sub 20 doesn`t look all that but hey ho, his style is somewhere between Busquets and Carrick. Would love that kind of player in our team. Was dreaming about Rodri when he was still in Spain.

M Bison

Supports
York City
fancy nothings? Two seasoned internationals who have played at the highest level, Mount especially. It’s as if EtH doesn’t know what he’s doing…

3KDré

Nueva Zelanda sub 20 doesn`t look all that but hey ho, his style is somewhere between Busquets and Carrick. Would love that kind of player in our team. Was dreaming about Rodri when he was still in Spain.
Absolutely. We turned down Caicedo for 3.5m because of legal issues with the transfer. When Rangnick was here he recommended Alvarez and Fernandez to us and we didn't pursue either. Imagine if we had all three of them now! There seems to always be an excuse when we miss out on South American talent so we wait until they establish themselves in Europe. If he flops, we lose £10-20M, big deal. Rather that then spend £80m on Maguire, Antony, Sancho.

100m is far too much but he would definitely improve us. Solid but without being special in any area, he'd be one of those players that will make us better in the league but do absolutely nothing for us in Europe, which is fine as we need to re-establish ourselves in the PL before we worry about the CL.

Redondo's kid looks mint, but New Zealand U20s is barely professional football, and surely he's Madrid bound if he turns out to be any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.