Declan Rice | signs for arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Huge pressure on Arteta to win the league now. They’ve spent some huge money over the last few years without anything to show for it.
Is there? I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but I don't don't he'll be under the remotest bit of pressure for his job unless they somehow dive back down to the levels of his first couple of years.

edcunited1878

Look at Arsenal spunking a massive chunk of money, good for them!

A complete overpay, but hey, it happens. Very good player, but there are players who can provide better value and do very well for their club.

We welcome Arsenal's spending because they cannot say they didn't buy players under Lego Pep, nor were there some big time fees.

edcunited1878

Is there? I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but I don't don't he'll be under the remotest bit of pressure for his job unless they somehow dive back down to the levels of his first couple of years.
He'll be protected by most of the English media, but at minimum, Arsenal have to finished 2nd or 3rd and with some of these signings, the team has improved thus the expectation is to improve (go higher) in the table, no?

Just like how there will be pressure with Poch to get Chelsea challenging for a European place, if not Top 4. Chelsea, like Arsenal, is not short of talented players.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He'll be protected by most of the English media, but at minimum, Arsenal have to finished 2nd or 3rd and with some of these signings, the team has improved thus the expectation is to improve (go higher) in the table, no?

Just like how there will be pressure with Poch to get Chelsea challenging for a European place, if not Top 4. Chelsea, like Arsenal, is not short of talented players.
I feel if he still gets top four or even just misses out he will be able to successfully behind "young team". Look at this season, never have I seen a team blow such a title advantage get such an easy ride from both media and fans.

I actually worry we maybe going down the same route (using young team as a get out of jail free card) but then again I'm naturally cynical :lol:

Castia

Gotta admit I’m jealous

Great signing for Arsenal and with Havert and Timber they’ve attacked this summer window whilst we’re dwindling around over 5m for Mason fecking Mount

Romez

Claiming Rice won't improve Arsenal is absurd.

Look how good Arsenal are already, now they're adding Rice who is much better than Xhaka and Partey plus much younger too.

Unfortunately he'll be class for them.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Claiming Rice won't improve Arsenal is absurd.

Look how good Arsenal are already, now they're adding Rice who is much better than Xhaka and Partey plus much younger too.

Unfortunately he'll be class for them.
It is too early to say. Pepe was good in France too. There is always risk on player transfer.

Jacob

Gotta admit I’m jealous

Great signing for Arsenal and with Havert and Timber they’ve attacked this summer window whilst we’re dwindling around over 5m for Mason fecking Mount
They're getting Timber?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Hope he ends up wearing a low shirt number for them. You don't spend 100m on a player only for him to wear something ridiculous like 41.

C'est Moi Cantona

Much as £105 million for Rice is mad, I still don't get how Arsenal are suddenly big hitters with ambition again all of a sudden.

0le

Some of the early cafe views on Rice in 2019 make interesting reading. Started of with some really awful takes but gradually many positive comments took over (at least on the first two pages).

I would rather sign no one than sign declan fecking rice .
Agreed, a Dier clone isn't what we need in midfield.
DM should be our #1 priority, that's for sure, but we need a better placement than bleedin' Declan Rice.
I don’t see it with Rice, if I’m honest. Would have to be a CB than a midfielder at the very top of the PL to make it.
From what I've seen from him he's pretty much a Dier 2.0 without being the cnut on the field part, so that's a no thanks from me. If his surname was Ride he'd be a fecking anagram for Dier and you cannot tell me that's a coincidence.
Don't really rate him much. Would rather put faith in Mctominay and Garner.
This. Massively overrated and not even as good as Dier ffs.
Why would united want him. Its fecking weird, he is like mctominay with pace. Rather keep herrera at 200k and give that blogger hugger mascot a 5 year contract.
That thread is a mess, tbf. It's basically England fans acting like they have pulled off some coup by him declaring for them. He is honestly so overrated at the moment it's hilarious. I would rather let City spunk a load of cash on him.
Yeah, it would be mental to buy Rice if he really wants to give Garner some game time and if McTominay isn't going anywhere, whilst retaining Matic. Money is better spent improving our attack.
Positive posts:
I do think he might actually be a better ball winner than Dier. The question is how good he can get on the ball.

Rice is up there with the best ball winners in the league imo.
As I said before - Declan Rice being the choice of Ole & a clone of Dier isn't some randomised mistake.

Rice allows us to play with a line of 3 CB's that consists of 2 ball playing defenders shielded by a 'false cb'
Could be good for us, especially as he's very likely to improve a lot with Matic in the squad and Carrick on the coaching staff. Not for a ridiculous fee though.
Mental some of the comments seen so far. For me he would be an excellent signing. He’s different gravy to likes of Hendo and Dier who he’s being compared to. Would be a strong British backbone to the midfield and play here for years to come.

All those names being chased are super exciting - can’t fault a single one of those signings tbh.
If he was called Declano Ricinho we'd have people salivating on here now. Sad but true.

I think he looks a really top young player in the making. He's exactly the type of signing I'd imagine we'd have made under Fergie too. We should be building a young exciting team that can can compete for years and years rather than spunking £120m on an aging player to try and win the title asap. We've been trying that approach for last 6 years and failed miserably. It's time to change tactics.

Rice, Sancho, De Ligt, Wan Bissaka, Bergwijn, Pepe etc.......these are the type of players that I can see us going for under Ole. The 'Galactico' era at United is hopefully over. We're not very good at it so I don't know why we bother.
This reminds me of the Michael Carrick thread, in which everyone said he was a waste of money etc.
Rice's defensive reading of the game and positioning is impressive and comes naturally to him. Carrick had that too. He does look to play forward but the question is whether his passing is expansive enough. I like him a lot and he's already better then Eric Dier who is just a lump in midfield.
yeah i think the general consensus in this thread is incredibly harsh on the player. i think he looks a really good prospect. i don't think he's a priority area by any means, but not going to turn my nose up at him if we do somehow get him. he'll cost a bit, though.
He's excellent. I'd be all for it.
This gem of referring to someone's prediction:
Surprising replies compared to the other Rice thread. Remember someone said he is 100 million player in today's market.

Anyways I agree with most of the posts on this thread. He is decent player but we need better players.
He is decent player but yeah for some reason he is rated way too highly. Remember reading posts that he is 100 million player.
Funny how unpredictable football can be!

Jeffthered

West Ham will be laughing into the new season. They will probably be better next season anyway. These players aren't 'game-changers'. They are just decent players, who do a job.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
West Ham will be laughing into the new season. They will probably be better next season anyway. These players aren't 'game-changers'. They are just decent players, who do a job.
Well, we have game changers, so you're describing what we need, someone who does a specific job. He's obviously more than decent.

Jeffthered

Well, we have game changers, so you're describing what we need, someone who does a specific job. He's obviously more than decent.
Declan Rice is a decent player and he is not worth £100m. No way. He'll be the most expensive British player, ever. He's not even the best England player! It's nuts, nuts...

Ronaldo's Love Child

People saying that £ 100 million + for Rice is obscene.......maybe so but it's like buying a house. If you want a 3 bed semi detached you have to pay the market rate.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Declan Rice is a decent player and he is not worth £100m. No way. He'll be the most expensive British player, ever. He's not even the best England player! It's nuts, nuts...
The market today is fecked, saying a player is worth x means very little. And c'mon, he's clearly more than decent.

cyberman

Well to be fair I don't think even the most biased of Arsenal fan would compare Declan Rice to Casemiro. In their position that would be like comparing Mason Mount to De Bruyne.
A lot of fans on here were questioning his form for the second half of the season!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Saw it mentioned in a few threads in recent days, preference seems to be far more than just personal. Weird thing to be bothered about but this is the Caf.
I hate weird squad numbers to be fair. Just look at city’s team, such weird squad numbers. It just feels abit tinpot to me. Utd actually have weight and history attached to their numbers.

90 + 5min

If true, West Ham did amazing business here. They can laugh every step to the bank. What are Arsenal doing? If this is a normal value of this quality of player then players like Fred and McTomniay are worth over £150m

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Casa has and always will be a better player than Rice but to be fair I think he’s a great signing even at that fee. He’s still young and is one of the best in his position the world football. Casa is probably the best in his position though, so that’s the bar.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal have spent a lot under Arteta, especially in the last few years. Now with this summer’s spending and a relatively low amount of sales (?) your net spend may be only 2nd to United’s in the last few years I assume. And all you have to show for is a FA Cup and 1 CL qualification. That’s a poor return. Arteta will be under a lot of pressure now. At the end we will only find out in a few years. If the best he will do in the upcoming seasons is a couple of top 4 finishes and that’s it then it would be really underwhelming.
I agree that he has to win a trophy soon. But if he can keep us in CL for a few years, that would be a HUGE improvement on where we've been for almost the last decade. No CL for 7 years has really hurt our bottom line, which is why the Kroenkes had to spend to overhaul our squad. I imagine the spending (at least to this current degree) will have to slow down at some point.
And yes we've spent similar amounts in the last 3-4 years. Out of curiosity which team do you think has improved for all the money spent? Arteta has bought a whole new team with his half billion quid, we're unrecognisable from the team he inherited. I think most fans would be delighted with what he's done. Most of my Utd supporting friends don't feel your team has improved much considering all the spending.

OverratedOpinion

I agree that he has to win a trophy soon. But if he can keep us in CL for a few years, that would be a HUGE improvement on where we've been for almost the last decade. No CL for 7 years has really hurt our bottom line, which is why the Kroenkes had to spend to overhaul our squad. I imagine the spending (at least to this current degree) will have to slow down at some point.
And yes we've spent similar amounts in the last 3-4 years. Out of curiosity which team do you think has improved for all the money spent? Arteta has bought a whole new team with his half billion quid, we're unrecognisable from the team he inherited. I think most fans would be delighted with what he's done. Most of my Utd supporting friends don't feel your team has improved much considering all the spending.
We've spent like shit since Sir Alex retired. Why would that even be a question?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Casemiro has been a very good buy for Man Utd. £60m + add on assumed he can stay at top level for 3 years given his age, 20m a season is good. Whether Rice represents good value for Arsenal, we shall see.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I feel if he still gets top four or even just misses out he will be able to successfully behind "young team". Look at this season, never have I seen a team blow such a title advantage get such an easy ride from both media and fans.

I actually worry we maybe going down the same route (using young team as a get out of jail free card) but then again I'm naturally cynical :lol:
I agree don't think Arteta's job is in danger in the immediate term unless something drastic happens. And IMO the reason we got an "easy ride" for choking is because everyone expected City to mow us down. We were overachieving and we knew it. It pretty much panned out the way everyone said - our squad is too young, too thin and City are too good.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
We've spent like shit since Sir Alex retired. Why would that even be a question?
Yeh, I was making the point that we've bought a whole new (and much improved) squad since Arteta arrived, while you've still got no striker and deadwood like Van de Beek in your team.

OverratedOpinion

Yeh, I was making the point that we've bought a whole new (and much improved) squad since Arteta arrived, while you've still got no striker and deadwood like Van de Beek in your team.
That point makes no sense. Our coach is in his first season and has made a drastically better start than Arteta did. If you are comparing him against Ole, Ragnick and Mourinho that is just a hugely sad yardstick to try and measure success after your best season in ages.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
That point makes no sense. Our coach is in his first season and has made a drastically better start than Arteta did. If you are comparing him against Ole, Rangnick and Mourinho that is just a hugely sad yardstick to try and measure success after your best season in ages.
I agree with you. But the initial conversation was about money spent, of which we've spent similarly in the last few years. I was making the point that we've done better with our half billion and actually overhauled our team.
It's obvious the biggest issue at United is your owners, which hopefully for you will find some conclusion soon (with Glazers leaving).

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I understand you can split the costs over several years, but how are Arsenal all of a sudden buying Rice for a £100m and Havertz for £65m.

Are they selling or only buying those two players? Didn't think they had it in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.