Declan Rice | Switches international allegiance to England four years ago

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
England have one of the most talented squads in world football coming up, and just reached a semi final .. sure, zero chance.
Most overhyped cup run of my life time. But yeah, there's a talented group coming up for sure.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
15 year old kid says something stupid, shock horror.

I'm glad i'm just about old enough to have spent most of my youth on MSN, and not facebook/twitter. God knows what would spring up back then :lol:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
You said 'we all know' .. which we don't, because most people probably recognise that the England squad which is coming up has at least some chance of winning a trophy. And regardless, I'd rather actually experience the world cup than not ever even get to go.
Fair. It turns out we don't all know.

Did you not narrowly beat a Colombia side without their best player at the World Cup and go out to the first decent side yous played? You'd be hard pressed to experience such luck again, but Deco can hope for the best.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
As a proud English man, who voted for Brexit, I never want to see Declan Rice in an England shirt ever again. DISGRACE

cyberman

15 year old kid says something stupid, shock horror.

I'm glad i'm just about old enough to have spent most of my youth on MSN, and not facebook/twitter. God knows what would spring up back then :lol:
Kind of puts the spanner in the Ive always considered myself English argument though, doesn't it?

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Seems like a bit of a tosser doesn't he?

Anyway, he's taken a step up clearly but we all know he's gone from a side with a 0% chance of winning a major international tournament, to another side with a 0% of winning a major international tournament. It's grand.

In other news, wouldn't be too upset if he replaced Matic.
England have a very good, young team with what is widely consider in worldfootball as the most promising batch of young footballers coming through in the game.

Do some Googling for quotes by too dogs all over Europe saying so.

Also, check the England youth teams recent trophy haul at various ages.

He is joining the England setup at the best possible time with a very bright fuutre.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Did you not narrowly beat a Colombia side without their best player at the World Cup and go out to the first decent side yous played? You'd be hard pressed to experience such luck again, but Deco can hope for the best.
Croatia were more than decent, there's a reason they reached the final, and it was a close game.

This current England team won't win anything, but there's a shitload of talent coming through and you'd have to be blind to not recognise there's a clear upward trajectory.

Rice will only add to the new golden generation, why commit to a squad going nowhere?

Djemba-Djemba

Without average talents like Rice I'm sure the likes of Glenn Whelan and erm, Wes Hoolahan? will flourish so you don't have to be so annoyed.

Zebs

Declan Rice lines up for West Ham in November 2019.

Zebs

:lol: All these England fans defending him are the same people who would jump down the neck of James McClean if he said anything remotely similar.

*casts rod*

cyberman

Just looks like a young man trying to fit into a crowd that he's a bit of an outsider in.

Ireland fans are very much like Liverpool fans, its uncanny.
What makes you say that?
By all accounts he was welcomed into the Irish set up with open arms, he's certainly not the first Englishman to go down this route. If anything is scouse like then it's adding unnecessary narratives behind excuses for your own players.

It's ok for Rice to say he left for the better team. Its a cancer on international football but it is what it is. There's no need to dismiss damning evidence that he didn't always feel English as he came up the ranks while insulting our intelligence.

Do those tweets scream indecision on nationality to you?

Djemba-Djemba

:lol: All these England fans defending him are the same people who would jump down the neck of James McClean if he said anything remotely similar.

*casts rod*
White text I know.

But who is it digging up these old tweets and facebook posts?

Are Ireland fans really that disgruntled to resort to this sort of shite?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
But Ireland have done this sort of thing themselves for years!
I was joking about Ray Houghton, but he played for Scotland at U-18 level then changed sides. I think it is more that Declan Rice played for the full international side, even though friendlies.
Houghton just never got picked for the full international side amazingly, so ROI jumped in.

Nanook

What makes you say that?
By all accounts he was welcomed into the Irish set up with open arms, he's certainly not the first Englishman to go down this route. If anything is scouse like then it's adding unnecessary narratives behind excuses for your own players.

It's ok for Rice to say he left for the better team. Its a cancer on international football but it is what it is. There's no need to dismiss damning evidence that he didn't always feel English as he came up the ranks while insulting our intelligence.

There’s probably a lot of anti English feeling among young Irish men and Declan himself is English so his teammates probably gave him a bit of stick for it. Do you really think he meant those tweets or he was being an edgy teenager trying to fit in and prove his Irishness?

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
That is serious disrespect to the crown. He should be arrested and deported.

Djemba-Djemba

I was joking about Ray Houghton, but he played for Scotland at U-18 level then changed sides. I think it is more that Declan Rice played for the full international side, even though friendlies.
Aye, I don't like that rule either myself. It should be if you play a full international, friendly or not, then that's it.

Still though, it's not like this is the first ever case of this happening. England have lost players in similar fashion. Just seems hilariously bitter for fans to be trawling through his social media to try and cause trouble :lol:.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Aye, I don't like that rule either myself. It should be if you play a full international, friendly or not, then that's it.

Still though, it's not like this is the first ever case of this happening. England have lost players in similar fashion. Just seems hilariously bitter for fans to be trawling through his social media to try and cause trouble :lol:.
It is silly. If you did it with most professional sportsmen you would find something, somebody will find offensive. People just seem to enjoy going off on one.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Game of opinions.
Not really an opinion that the U17s and U20s fairly recently won their World Cup and the U19s won the Euros, the future's looking very bright for English football.

cyberman

There’s probably a lot of anti English feeling among young Irish men and Declan himself is English so his teammates probably gave him a bit of stick for it. Do you really think he meant those tweets or he was being an edgy teenager trying to fit in and prove his Irishness?
I think it's a man caught up in being Irish and what he thinks it means.
Don't forget, he was playing and living in England when he tweeted that v an international side that he would see 4/5 times a year. If he was worried about fitting in it would be with his West Ham teammates.
The only thing I take out of this is his always feeling English speech was bullshit. You don't post that as a proud Englishman in my opinion.
May as well call it for what it is.
He was trying to fit in then and he's trying to fit in now.

Djemba-Djemba

It is silly. If you did it with most professional sportsmen you would find something, somebody will find offensive. People just seem to enjoy going off on one.
I would imagine most England fans will see those posts and shrug their shoulders anyway.

Nothing to get worked up about.

Classical Mechanic

What makes you say that?

Mining tweets to discredit a player is something that Liverpool fans like to do.

I've seen plenty of self pitying social media postings from Ireland fans over this whole affair which just seem so Scouse. There is no grounds to feel hard done by here, you tried to play a system and it came back to bite you.

He was 15 years old here and trying to fit into a situation where he was an outsider. He's of mixed nationality regardless and you or I trying to deduce if he felt Irish or English now or then is a pointless endeavour. He might feel one or the other, both or neither. I don't think it proves anything meaningful but if it makes you feel better then hold on to it.

cyberman

Mining tweets to discredit a player is something that Liverpool fans like to do.

I've seen plenty of self pitying social media postings from Ireland fans over this whole affair which just seem so Scouse. There is no grounds to feel hard done by here, you tried to play a system and it came back to bite you.

He was 15 years old here and trying to fit into a situation where he was an outsider. He's of mixed nationality regardless and you or I trying to deduce if he felt Irish or English now or then is a pointless endeavour. He might feel one or the other, both or neither. I don't think it proves anything meaningful but if it makes you feel better then hold on to it.
I'm not holding on to anything nor am I trying to extract some deep meaning over it.
The English man who always felt English was tweeting pro IRA messages four years ago. Thats all it is.
I'd feel the same way if Rashford was to have posted You'll never walk alone, 5 times la in his youth, You're simply caught bang to rights so hopefully the I was always English grand tour can stop insulting our intelligence now.

Classical Mechanic

I'm not holding on to anything nor am I trying to extract some deep meaning over it.
The English man who always felt English was tweeting pro IRA messages four years ago. Thats all it is.
I'd feel the same way if Rashford was to have posted You'll never walk alone, 5 times la in his youth, You're simply caught bang to rights so hopefully the I was always English grand tour can stop insulting our intelligence now.
He's of mixed heritage. He always was English and Irish. Its as simple as that.

Djemba-Djemba

I imagine he came out with all the "I've always felt English" schtick because it's easier to say that than the more likely truth of England are a much better side than Ireland and I'd rather play with Sterling and Rashford than with Walters and Whelan.

Trawling years back through his social media is very Scouse too I think.Wouldn't shock me if it was an Irish Liverpool fan that did it.

Brophs

The One and Only
The only way he can save this situation is if he claims he was trying to tweet “Up the Rangers” but pressed send too soon. We booed some Danish lad we mistook for Peter Lovenkrands. Imagine what this would do to us.

cyberman

He's of mixed heritage. He always was English and Irish. Its as simple as that.
I'm not arguing that? So I agree I guess?
Michael Keane straight out said this week he was using Ireland as a stepping stone for England so sorry if I don't take Declan Rice at face value. If Keane was higher profile I guarantee we would be sat here having the same discussion about mixed feelings etc.
Good point well made I suppose.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I imagine he came out with all the "I've always felt English" schtick because it's easier to say that than the more likely truth of England are a much better side than Ireland and I'd rather play with Sterling and Rashford than with Walters and Whelan.

Trawling years back through his social media is very Scouse too I think.Wouldn't shock me if it was an Irish Liverpool fan that did it.

Did it to Andre Gray after he scored two against them didn't they?

So stupid. Pulling people up for something they said years ago on social media is ridiculous, people can completely change in that time.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Cannot believe people are taking this seriously.:lol:

"Up the RA" is basically a meme these days. It's meaningless.

Djemba-Djemba

Cannot believe people are taking this seriously.:lol:

"Up the RA" is basically a meme these days. It's meaningless.
Who is taking it seriously?

You'd have to be a total Brexit voting marching with Farage type to be remotely upset about any of this.

I think the bigger story is how badly Irish fans have taken all this :lol: