Declan Rice | Switches international allegiance to England four years ago

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Who is taking it seriously?

You'd have to be a total Brexit voting marching with Farage type to be remotely upset about any of this.

I think the bigger story is how badly Irish fans have taken all this :lol:
I'm talking about the use of the phrase having any implication on whether he though he was Irish/English.

cyberman

Did it to Andre Gray after he scored two against them didn't they?

So stupid. Pulling people up for something they said years ago on social media is ridiculous, people can completely change in that time.
This logic doesn't really apply when it contradicts what he claimed he as feeling during those specific years though?

Why shouldn't certain Ireland fans take offence when it looks as if he blatantly insulted our intelligence? Look at how your lot treated Campbell after he jumped ship to Arsenal after claiming to be Spurs through and through. Now imagine you found anti Arsenal tweets in his history.
This forum gets jumpy because Pogba called Madrid a big club ffs! Never mind having our best young player literally abandon us to play for someone else.
It seems it's different for some fans because they benefited form this so are condescendingly telling others to get on with it.
I'm not even that riled up about it. I hope we turn away from players such as Rice so we can properly rebuild on solid foundations. Our squad needs a lot more than Rice so his loss won't even be that hard to replace.

It's simply funny that he got caught out this way. Although I do worry about the fan who trawled this out

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
This logic doesn't really apply when it contradicts what he claimed he as feeling during those specific years though?

Why shouldn't certain Ireland fans take offence when it looks as if he blatantly insulted our intelligence? Look at how your lot treated Campbell after he jumped ship to Arsenal after claiming to be Spurs through and through. Now imagine you found anti Arsenal tweets in his history.
This forum gets jumpy because Pogba called Madrid a big club ffs! Never mind having our best young player literally abandon us to play for someone else.
It seems it's different for some fans because they benefited form this so are condescendingly telling others to get on with it.
I'm not even that riled up about it. I hope we turn away from players such as Rice so we can properly rebuild on solid foundations. Our squad needs a lot more than Rice so his loss won't even be that hard to replace.

It's simply funny that he got caught out this way. Although I do worry about the fan who trawled this out
It will be the same people who got insulted about Irish fans rooting for Croatia in the world cup too :lol:

jeff_goldblum

The stage is perfectly set for Sajid Javid to swoop in and rescind his British citizenship

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My Irish mate regularly says "up the RA" as a joke when she's pissed. As someone else said, it's basically a meme

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I fully expect him to appear on the couch with Alan Partridge next week.

Eire Red United

I imagine he came out with all the "I've always felt English" schtick because it's easier to say that than the more likely truth of England are a much better side than Ireland and I'd rather play with Sterling and Rashford than with Walters and Whelan.

Trawling years back through his social media is very Scouse too I think.Wouldn't shock me if it was an Irish Liverpool fan that did it.
I know the fella and yes it was :lol:.

deadrevelz

Watched the Alan Partridge This Time episode last night with the Irish lookalike who starts singing the Black and Tan song... Perfect timing. :lol:

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
There’s probably a lot of anti English feeling among young Irish men and Declan himself is English so his teammates probably gave him a bit of stick for it. Do you really think he meant those tweets or he was being an edgy teenager trying to fit in and prove his Irishness?
I think it's a man caught up in being Irish and what he thinks it means.
Don't forget, he was playing and living in England when he tweeted that v an international side that he would see 4/5 times a year. If he was worried about fitting in it would be with his West Ham teammates.
The only thing I take out of this is his always feeling English speech was bullshit. You don't post that as a proud Englishman in my opinion.
May as well call it for what it is.
He was trying to fit in then and he's trying to fit in now.
Don't think any of us really know what he was thinking. I live in the US at the moment, and he reminds me of proud Irish-Americans over here that constantly spout the same Up the RA sentiment but couldn't point to Ireland on a map. Always seems to me that they're trying too hard to prove their Irish credentials, which comes from an insecurity about the fact that they weren't born in Ireland. I'm guessing Rice's old tweets might come from the same type of insecurity.

Don't think the old tweets really mean much. I'm sure Rice then, and Rice now, probably feels both English and Irish.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Croatia were more than decent, there's a reason they reached the final, and it was a close game.

This current England team won't win anything, but there's a shitload of talent coming through and you'd have to be blind to not recognise there's a clear upward trajectory.

Rice will only add to the new golden generation, why commit to a squad going nowhere?
Words that still conjure a feeling disappointment in context of the England team.

They are cursed and should never, ever be used.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
The only way he can save this situation is if he claims he was trying to tweet “Up the Rangers” but pressed send too soon. We booed some Danish lad we mistook for Peter Lovenkrands. Imagine what this would do to us.
Oh christ the Peter Rubberpants booing. That was very smalltime.............

Robbie Boy

The only way he can save this situation is if he claims he was trying to tweet “Up the Rangers” but pressed send too soon. We booed some Danish lad we mistook for Peter Lovenkrands. Imagine what this would do to us.
That was hilarious.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Digging up old tweets is pointless for me. We get no context and it was likely he thought he was have a conversation with friends who know him and not inadvertently posting a comment for the world to see.

St Red

KRAP
Next Scott Parker.
He'll sign for a big club, warm the bench for a couple of seasons, missing the Euros or WC as a consequence, then end up playing for Palace

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Digging up old tweets is pointless for me. We get no context and it was likely he thought he was have a conversation with friends who know him and not inadvertently posting a comment for the world to see.
Needs to wake up like a lot of others. In this day and age there is nothing private where social media is concerned, and there have been incidents like this going back years;it's hardly recent so there is no excuse for stupid posts.

People need to
Next Scott Parker.
He'll sign for a big club, warm the bench for a couple of seasons, missing the Euros or WC as a consequence, then end up playing for Palace
If you think he's the next Scott Parker, you have no idea

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I find it interesting that so many are willing to give him a free pass, when if this was a British Asian supporting the Tailiban or Al-Qaeda, the reaction would be very, very different. White privilege, I guess, and JST BANTA.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
As much as my McClean comment was fishing, I genuinely do think if messages of his came out with him saying "Up the RA", and he used the same excuse as Rice has, that he'd be battered in the press and by fans.

Oh well, he's "one of your own", innit.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As much as my McClean comment was fishing, I genuinely do think if messages of his came out with him saying "Up the RA", and he used the same excuse as Rice has, that he'd be battered in the press and by fans.

He was a child when he made those Tweets and as far as I know has never commented on the subject since.

McLean has very strong views on the subject and is a grown man, I can't imagine him making jokey Tweets about the IRA.

Classical Mechanic

Its not really analogous is it. McClean already had a 'twitter storm' stating a Wolftones Irish rebel song as one of his favourites. His detractors already perceive him as anti-English and pro IRA headbanger so they'd probably take that as confirmation. Rice has no such history.

Looking at some of the English comments on Twitter and Rice has fallen foul of that crowd anyway.

Zebs

He was a child when he made those Tweets and as far as I know has never commented on the subject since.

McLean has very strong views on the subject and is a grown man, I can't imagine him making jokey Tweets about the IRA.
I meant old tweets or FB posts or whatever from when he was the same age.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I meant old tweets or FB posts or whatever from when he was the same age.
There's still a big difference though, Rice has not said a single thing about the subject since whereas Mclean is more known for his views on this subject than he is for which club he plays for or how good he is.

Cabin Clown

He probably will get booed by the knuckle draggers and headbangers unfortunately.
Next Scott Parker.
I agree with all of this.

Also, I see no more talent in this kid than say, McTominay. The thing that's going for him is he starts for West Ham at 19. If he was 23 would anyone be talking about him? His technique is average, not as if we'll see some massive improvement. As someone said another Eric Dier. Really hope we aren't looking at him in the next transfer window.

soapythecat

I find it interesting that so many are willing to give him a free pass, when if this was a British Asian supporting the Tailiban or Al-Qaeda, the reaction would be very, very different. White privilege, I guess, and JST BANTA.
Exactly this. The amount of people on Twitter who are sticking up for him and saying he made an error at 15, at the same clowns who have a club crest as their picture and 'Trump and Brexit' somewhere in their bio. Ask them their thoughts on the ISIS bride being allowed back in the UK having made 'an error' at 15 and they will be up in arms!
Both of them can do one - if you can't be held accountable for something you did at 15, then when do we actually become accountable for our actions?

Zebs

Also, what's this nonsense about him saying it to try fit in? As if we're all going around saying "Up The Ra" in Ireland and pointing out the lads who don't :lol: ffs.