Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks2008

Seems not that long ago Oxford was the next big thing at West Ham, what's he up to these days?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No thanks. I want a DM who can slide tackle on both legs. Being able to slide tackle on both legs is quite possibly the most under rated skill in football. It can often be the difference between making a good clean tackle and giving away a free kick, or worse...

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've meant to post on here since we played West Ham, but I'm sold on this guy. He was incredible against us, absolutely everywhere on the pitch and helped West Ham pin us back. I could see him being a benchmark signing for us as he'd bring all the qualities we lack and would become a good leader on the pitch.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Watch us sign him and then him turning into an absolute turd

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Watch us sign him and then him turning into an absolute turd
We run that risk with any young player. He's absolutely the type of player we should be looking at though, without doubt.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We run that risk with any young player. He's absolutely the type of player we should be looking at though, without doubt.
Not any young player. Literally every player

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
No thanks. I want a DM who can slide tackle on both legs. Being able to slide tackle on both legs is quite possibly the most under rated skill in football. It can often be the difference between making a good clean tackle and giving away a free kick, or worse...
If you have to go to ground, you’ve already made a mistake. The best defenders, come off the park, with clean shorts.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If you have to go to ground, you’ve already made a mistake. The best defenders, come off the park, with clean shorts.
Even the best defenders have to go to ground at some point. That doesn't necessarily mean it was your man though. You could be picking up the slack for someone else who was out of position..

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Even the best defenders have to go to ground at some point. That doesn't necessarily mean it was your man though. You could be picking up the slack for someone else who was out of position..
Whilst that may be true, to a certain degree, being able to slide tackle, with both legs, shouldn’t be a prerequisite for a DM. Understanding/Reading of the game and positioning, are far more important. Declan Rice, at a young age, reads the game very well.

Ekeke

Whilst that may be true, to a certain degree, being able to slide tackle, with both legs, shouldn’t be a prerequisite for a DM. Understanding/Reading of the game and positioning, are far more important. Declan Rice, at a young age, reads the game very well.
Agree.

The Irish Connection

He should be a priority for us this summer
Yes! He was excellent against us recently, bit like kante in the way he breaks so many attacks up. He’s also a good passer and can run with the ball, most importantly, he looks to be a strong player mentally and a bit of a leader.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Yes! He was excellent against us recently, bit like kante in the way he breaks so many attacks up. He’s also a good passer and can run with the ball, most importantly, he looks to be a strong player mentally and a bit of a leader.
That's what intrigues me.

Desperate for leadership in this squad.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We are now in a position we have to take risks on young players. Our strategy of trying to buy ready made big names has been nothing short of disastrous.

I'd take Rice but for the fee Westham will want I expect we might pass on him.

Devil may care

I don't want more players in midfield that are average on the ball, Rice is another Henderson/Dier/Milner type, a functional grafter.

Devil may care

Two of them are in the midfield for a team at the top of the league.
I'm aware and I still wouldn't want them here, they are the biggest deficiency in that side, but are carried due to the excellent back 4 and dynamite front 3, neither of which we have. You can bet Klopp's next phase will be to weed them out and get more craft into the midfield, even their mouthpieces on Sky, Carragher and Sourness, have been citing for months that they are the weak link.

eire-red

Clearly has some excellent qualifies, great mentality and looks like a natural leader on the pitch. Just not sold on him at CDM though. Should be playing CB, but West Ham are light in midfield so I assume that's why he's playing there.

He is excelling at CDM for West Ham admittedly, but what would be expected of him here if he was playing midfield is beyond his passing/technical abilities imo

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Can't say if serious or being ironic.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Whenever I see him, he reminds me of Dier. And I always thought Dier would make a good ball playing CB than a midfielder .

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Said it before, 50m would be a steal.

Nowadays, even unknown Fred costed that much.

But then, if we’re waiting and waiting until he’s more well known (getting into England NT), he’d cost more or getting snapped away by ‘bigger’ clubs.

Ekeke

I'm aware and I still wouldn't want them here, they are the biggest deficiency in that side, but are carried due to the excellent back 4 and dynamite front 3, neither of which we have. You can bet Klopp's next phase will be to weed them out and get more craft into the midfield, even their mouthpieces on Sky, Carragher and Sourness, have been citing for months that they are the weak link.
The back 4 can look excellent because they work hard in front of them.

Devil may care

The back 4 can look excellent because they work hard in front of them.
The back 4 look excellent because they are excellent, van Dijk is arguably the best CB in Europe, they have the best RB and LB in the PL, and Gomes was playing very well until his injury, even Matip has improved playing alongside van Dijk, plus Fabinho protects the back 4 while also being good on the ball, unlike Dier and Rice types.

steakpie

£50m for 10 years+ service is good value considering we paid £40m for Matic who will give us around 4 years of service.

Sea-Cow

Against us he was Patrick Viera reborn. I watched a bit this weekend against Leicester and he was slow and average and looked like a passenger.

I think Ndidi would be the safer buy.

But, we probably won't worry about this. We've got Matic and Fred, afterall.

Rake

I've meant to post on here since we played West Ham, but I'm sold on this guy. He was incredible against us, absolutely everywhere on the pitch and helped West Ham pin us back. I could see him being a benchmark signing for us as he'd bring all the qualities we lack and would become a good leader on the pitch.
I`m not saying he wouldn't be a good signing, I barely watch football these days, but eveyone looks like a world-beater when playing against us.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He’d make a fantastic central defensive investment - offer Bailly to West Ham in exchange. Midfield-wise, he’s a pure destroyer....of both the opposition and his own teams counter attacks as his passing is primitive.

Pairing him with someone like Alderweireld would be a solid foundation for a few years to come and educational for Rice, with an eye kept on Ben Godfrey’s development in the top flight at Norwich next season.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Can't say if serious or being ironic.
Nothing ironic about it. Slide tackling with both legs is a lost art form. too many When you slide tackle you should always be facing your opponent. When coming in from your left you should slide on your left and tackle with your right. This way you are sliding in front of the player and sweeping in with your laces first. If you slide on the other leg there is no sweeping motion to slide in front and you are often leading with your studs. The other thing players try to do when they can't slide on both legs is they do a heel motion to try and sweep that way...that's when your trailing leg comes through. I tried to find some videos and this was the only one I could find where she explains the proper way to tackle. The other videos all had poor tackles that if not timed perfectly can lead to free kicks and worse...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have seen so many free kicks, penalties and cards given because the player slid on the wrong leg. It drives me crazy when I see it and I swear it's something that not even coaches at the highest level even think about. In my opinion, every player (especially defensive players) should be able to slide on both legs, just like every player should be able to kick and pass with both feet...

Loublaze

ATLien
I would rather give Garner a chance than buy him for 50-60 million. Giving Garner minutes in some of our recent games gives me hope that we will not repeat mistakes.

Anyone remember Schneiderlin?
Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Mkhitaryan, Depaay, Fellaini, Kagawa, and so on, my point is why not promote one of academy's lad instead of experimenting again.
Buying from outside again and again (especially when it is not working) is also experimenting. Expensive and dangerous experimenting as their failure not only costs the club but destroys the atmosphere.
Pure comedy gold :lol::lol::lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Nothing ironic about it. Slide tackling with both legs is a lost art form. too many When you slide tackle you should always be facing your opponent. When coming in from your left you should slide on your left and tackle with your right. This way you are sliding in front of the player and sweeping in with your laces first. If you slide on the other leg there is no sweeping motion to slide in front and you are often leading with your studs. The other thing players try to do when they can't slide on both legs is they do a heel motion to try and sweep that way...that's when your trailing leg comes through. I tried to find some videos and this was the only one I could find where she explains the proper way to tackle. The other videos all had poor tackles that if not timed perfectly can lead to free kicks and worse...

Now I get what you're trying to say. I was thinking in two feet tackle Vinnie Jones style :D

When I played the game at youth level (many years ago) we would train tackling mainly because of getting the timing right. You had to wait until the opponent to make a drible / run, because in that moment the ball gets further away from his control.

But we are also advised that this is to be done in three situation, because committing to a tackle can make you a liability for your team, because if you fail, it's very hard to recover your position:
1 - You are 99% sure the tackle is going to be clean, otherwise the opponent will make a meal out of it and it will be an easier yellow card.
2 - As a last resort effort outside the box, and either you get the ball or commit a foul, which both situations are good for your team.
3 - Testing your opponent's bravery by going in a hard tackle on the ball (without hitting him/her off course :D ).

But as I said, the downside of tackling can be quite damaging for your team as a unit. Since football nowadays is all about stats & science facts, I'm pretty sure the % level of successful tackles is not as good as some people might think, hence the reason is probably being discouraged nowadays.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Now I get what you're trying to say. I was thinking in two feet tackle Vinnie Jones style :D

When I played the game at youth level (many years ago) we would train tackling mainly because of getting the timing right. You had to wait until the opponent to make a drible / run, because in that moment the ball gets further away from his control.

But we are also advised that this is to be done in three situation, because committing to a tackle can make you a liability for your team, because if you fail, it's very hard to recover your position:
1 - You are 99% sure the tackle is going to be clean, otherwise the opponent will make a meal out of it and it will be an easier yellow card.
2 - As a last resort effort outside the box, and either you get the ball or commit a foul, which both situations are good for your team.
3 - Testing your opponent's bravery by going in a hard tackle on the ball (without hitting him/her off course :D ).

But as I said, the downside of tackling can be quite damaging for your team as a unit. Since football nowadays is all about stats & science facts, I'm pretty sure the % level of successful tackles is not as good as some people might think, hence the reason is probably being discouraged nowadays.
Ah yes...I can see how "sliding on both legs" can be confusing. I meant being able to slide on both your left and your right leg (and tackle with either) and not in a "Vinny Jones" style of two footed tackle...:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.