Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapythecat

I've meant to post on here since we played West Ham, but I'm sold on this guy. He was incredible against us, absolutely everywhere on the pitch and helped West Ham pin us back. I could see him being a benchmark signing for us as he'd bring all the qualities we lack and would become a good leader on the pitch.
Playing well against us at the moment is definitely not a good benchmarking option. After watching Everton play through our middle last week like it was non-existent made Morgan Schniderlin look like Pirlo - and we definitely know how shite he was for us.

johanovic

If we would sign Rice and then do what ever it takes to sign De Light we would have 2 leaders in the team. I´m not sure that DM will be Rice position in the future, perhaps CB will be his position but this kid leads by example, gives an effort and is excactly the kind of player we need. Add Bissaka,Ndombele and Sancho to that + starting to give gametime to Greenwood,Chong,Gomes and Garner and we would be on the way to building a strong team again.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we would sign Rice and then do what ever it takes to sign De Light we would have 2 leaders in the team. I´m not sure that DM will be Rice position in the future, perhaps CB will be his position but this kid leads by example, gives an effort and is excactly the kind of player we need. Add Bissaka,Ndombele and Sancho to that + starting to give gametime to Greenwood,Chong,Gomes and Garner and we would be on the way to building a strong team again.
100% this. I highly, highly doubt we’d get De Ligt - but Rice is a captain in the making.

Bwuk

Really hope someone that isn’t us wastes money on him.
He's class. He'd be worth every penny.

Best holding midfielder England have produced since Carrick imo. Rice is going to be a top top player.

Bwuk

Signing him while we in our current situation would be nothing short of crazy.
Why? He's exactly the sort of player we should be after.
  • One of the top youngsters in his position
  • Proven in the Premier League
  • Shows leadership qualities
  • Plays in a position we are very weak in

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rice has been outstanding all season. He does a specific job and does it brilliantly. If he were Kante at West Ham I imagine his ‘passing is too limited’ would be used to dismiss him too. Rice would give us a platform with which to build on, and provide balance for the team. He’s performed against all the top sides.

RooneyLegend

Think about last night, what would he have changed? Getting the ball in those tight situations what positive thing can he do with the ball? His passing is rudimentary, can't really move with the ball. We need to realise that winning the ball back isn't all the game is about.

Johan07

Think about last night, what would he have changed? Getting the ball in those tight situations what positive thing can he do with the ball? His passing is rudimentary, can't really move with the ball. We need to realise that winning the ball back isn't all the game is about.
I agree on that we should be focusing on getting a real No6 in this summer. Who is good on the ball, much better than Rice. If such a player is available.
That said: Since the start of this season we have lost Fellaini and Herrera seems to be gone. Pereira is not good enough and will probably leave and who the feck knows if Pogba wants to stay. We could be looking at having to bring in 3-4 new CMs this summer. Then Rice is a good alternative as one of them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Is he better than McTominay? I mean it's easy to say he is because everyone looks better elsewhere, especially if you don't see every second of every game.
Genuine question as I've not watched him enough.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
While I am all for this signing, he is not what we need now. Still need someone who can come in and do the job right away.

settembrini

Perhaps if Rice had played last night we might not have lost the ball so much because of Fred's errant passing. Or perhaps if he had played the game before we might not have conceded a goal because of Matic's laughable defending against Sigurdsson.

I hope we buy him and a few more of this talented England generation like Sancho and Wan-Bissaka. Players that are already performing to a high level in strong leagues and who, with a bit of luck and good coaching, could form a strong team for years.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Perhaps if Rice had played last night we might not have lost the ball so much because of Fred's errant passing. Or perhaps if he had played the game before we might not have conceded a goal because of Matic's laughable defending against Sigurdsson.

I hope we buy him and a few more of this talented England generation like Sancho and Wan-Bissaka. Players that are already performing to a high level in strong leagues and who, with a bit of luck and good coaching, could form a strong team for years.
I like the cut of your gib!

Been saying that for a while myself. Surely 2 of those are worth negotiations. Ole should go to Woody to test his resolve. If Woody says know, Ole will know exactly where he stands...then he can leave with his head held high

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Is he better than McTominay? I mean it's easy to say he is because everyone looks better elsewhere, especially if you don't see every second of every game.
I think he is. For a start he's a regular, looked good against the PL's best and if we think De Ligt and De Jong are talents despite their age then this kid is too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think he is. For a start he's a regular, looked good against the PL's best and if we think De Ligt and De Jong are talents despite their age then this kid is too.
From what I know I think I'd rather play McTominay there and spend the money on other positions at the mo. Has a bit of flavour of the year whiff to me. Then again it could be another case of us missing out on what will be real quality.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You talk as if he’s some one-legged man. There’s nothing wrong with his passing. That said, our defensive midfielder is not in the team to win us the Manchester derby! It’s not everyone’s primary job to open up the opposition. Rice would have been there to stop us getting beaten, first and foremost. The players ahead of him are there to win it. Otherwise City should also bin Fernandinho and play David Silva instead.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He is.

Robbie Boy

I’m going to hazard a guess that fans on rival forums don’t have a 15 page long Declan Rice transfer thread. The whack of mediocrity around this place is frightening. He really isn’t all that and if anyone has watched him regularly they would see that. I can bet if we signed him - god I hope we don’t - plenty praising him now, will absolutely crucify him when it becomes apparent how utterly limited he is.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I’m going to hazard a guess that fans on rival forums don’t have a 15 page long Declan Rice transfer thread. The whack of mediocrity around this place is frightening. He really isn’t all that and if anyone has watched him regularly they would see that. I can bet if we signed him - god I hope we don’t - plenty praising him now, will absolutely crucify him when it becomes apparent how utterly limited he is.
BlueMoon is 20 pages for what it's worth.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This is the time for us to be rebuilding a new young team pretty much from scratch. Rice would be a good building block in that process. As has been said on here earlier, he looks like future captain material

Pughnichi

Total agreement. Good teams around us are building squads buying the better players from lesser teams. They’re then adding the star quality. Look at Robertson, Maguire, Chillwell, Wijnaldum, Mane, Alderweireld. All very effective players that would have been great signings. Even Trippier and Davies who were POTY at their respective clubs before going to spurs. We don’t have to spend big to build a good team. Declan Rice would be a great start

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm with ya pal. I honestly don't see why this place want him in our midfield so badly, when our real issue is we create feck all. In our defence, I could get on board with, but he is no where near what we need in our midfield.

JoaquinJoaquin

Twice the player McTominay is, and I say that as someone who has liked how well McTominay has progressed the last few months.

Dozer

Rice, Alderweireld, AWB/Meunier and a top notch right winger are the bare minimum requirements this summer

johanovic

His passing is atrocious.
Rice has 86,3 % of his passes completed according to https://www.whoscored.com/Players/332325/Show/Declan-Rice and if you look at the best DM in the league in Fernandhino at City he´s at 87,5% while Rice outperforms him in tackles, interceptions and various other stats.
Rice is a 20 year old boy and Fernandhino is a 33 year old player that has seen it all and play´s in a vastly better side than Rice. Rice also has one very important factor in that he´s a leader and a player that gives his all. You could then wonder if DM og CB will be his position in the future but he´s excactly the kind of player we need to buy along with De Light as both are leaders. It´s no use having a team without leaders as we have seen clearly because every flair player needs somebody pushing them on and Rice would be that kind of player.

Ekeke

As a DM yes. He has more defensive instincts. McTominay might have more technical skill

DarkRed

Roy Keane: What Fred has done is cheating by letting a man run off him for one of the goals.

I guess that would change.

lewwoo

Rice has 86,3 % of his passes completed according to https://www.whoscored.com/Players/332325/Show/Declan-Rice and if you look at the best DM in the league in Fernandhino at City he´s at 87,5% while Rice outperforms him in tackles, interceptions and various other stats.
Rice is a 20 year old boy and Fernandhino is a 33 year old player that has seen it all and play´s in a vastly better side than Rice. Rice also has one very important factor in that he´s a leader and a player that gives his all. You could then wonder if DM og CB will be his position in the future but he´s excactly the kind of player we need to buy along with De Light as both are leaders. It´s no use having a team without leaders as we have seen clearly because every flair player needs somebody pushing them on and Rice would be that kind of player.
Facts dont matter. Some on here will never forgive him for switching to England whatever he does.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I bet Scott Parker had a good passing success rate too. How incisive is his passing? Does he have a good range? How is he in tight spaces, technically very limited or could be as good as Carrick?

haram

Fernandinho’s passes are far more risky.

Jezpeza

Good stats for a DM. People forget the players like Makelele, Kante etc they just go on goals scored and assists. If we do sign Rice it leaves us with a holding midfielder in him and a box to box in Pogba- so would need a creator and passer alongside which means signing Bruno Fernandes or similar

Robbie Boy

I bet Scott Parker had a good passing success rate too. How incisive is his passing? Does he have a good range? How is he in tight spaces, technically very limited or could be as good as Carrick?
His passing is terrible. His short passing is grand that’s about it. Jesus people think stats are the be all and end all. Anyone with eyes can see that Fernandinho is a far superior player that plays far more incisive passes. Rice, for me, is nothing more than a media hype machine.

Sanchez7

His passing is terrible. His short passing is grand that’s about it. Jesus people think stats are the be all and end all. Anyone with eyes can see that Fernandinho is a far superior player that plays far more incisive passes. Rice, for me, is nothing more than a media hype machine.
Agree with this. i hope this idea of having a "British core" isn't being seriously considered by the board - It is mostly over hyped British players that make up half of our squad.

Ekeke

Yes 33 year old Fernandinho is better than 20 year old Declan Rice. Thats very surprising given Fernandinho is probably the best CM in the league.

Which midfielder at 20 was better than Fernandinho is now?

So its an obvious and pointless comparison. Fernandinho was playing for Fred's former club in the Ukraine until he was like 27 years old. You'd never heard of him at 20 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.