Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Their better players.
They don't. They just have a better system and a better manager. Mane is 29 now. When he joined Liverpool he had like 10 goals and 9 goals in first 2 seasons. Rashford already beat it at an younger age, for us.

Diaz has proved feck all. The other Mane replacement is Origi. Do you really think Rashford won't get ahead of him in the bench.

Let's not exaggerate.

Hammondo

I think that's a ridiculous take but we don't have to agree. Not to be pendantic or nazi grammar leaning but it's 'they're better', not 'their'.
" Their better players"

Yes 100%, but I was in a rush and was actually attempting to write "their players are better".

Righteous Steps

They don't. They just have a better system and a better manager. Mane is 29 now. When he joined Liverpool he had like 10 goals and 9 goals in first 2 seasons. Rashford already beat it at an younger age, for us.

Diaz has proved feck all. The other Mane replacement is Origi. Do you really think Rashford won't get ahead of him in the bench.

Let's not exaggerate.
The ‘system’ relies on finding players who fit into that system though which is the point, you scout players who have the right profile and not just because said players has certain stats etc. This is why players like Jota can fit into the system and maybe more lauded players than Jota was at wolves can not.

He definitely would make the bench he wouldn’t start though, all the players you mentioned work far harder score as many goals and play a better team game.

Sancho would start more often but he lacks the dynamism that Klopps likes in his wide forwards it’s not as simple as comparing stats but rather profiles and ho they fit in with the managers philosophy.

Sancho would be the perfect Pep winger though like a less dynamic more naturally talented Sterling.

Last edited:

Righteous Steps

There was a huge difference - we badly needed a central defender and there really wasn't that many out there available who looked quality. With a central midfielder I can easily think of 10 midfielders who would seriously strengthen us - even if Rice would be my first choice. And I can buy the argument that he will be too expensive considering we need to strengthen several areas - but when people say Rice ISN'T pure quality - they know very little about football. The thought of him at Liverpool scares me to death.
Why would it scare you? Only a fool would pay 80m for Rice and not use their vast worldwide scouting system to get a player a third of that price on the continent.

Borussia Teeth

He would be a excellent signing if we got him. The price is definitely a issue and could well see us making concessions in other areas of the pitch, which I believe we shouldn't do. And we should instead look to create a balanced team by bringing in players who will help us achieve that, and it looks like we're gonna require quite a few of those players to create that balance.

Rice is far superior to Mctominay and his ability to pass with both feet and position himself in defensive transitions is telling. And someone like ten Hag would definitely like Declan Rice in his team imo due to Rice being good with both feet and defensively strong.

The only concern I have about Rice is that he's playing for a coach that adopts a low/mid block approach, which means he isn't often exposed to defending large space in 1v1 situations, which will become a reality at Man Utd under a coach who looks to impose his play style on the opposition. So if we do sign him, I hope we don't pair him up with Tielemans or Neves in a compact high block, because Tielemans and Neves would get bypassed comfortably in such a setup and aren't suited to a dynamic front foot approach in defensive transitions. Someone like Caqueret from Lyon might be a better partner for him due to his moblity, industry, as well as technical ability. He's still very young but is coming into the final year of his contract and could be picked up for a very reasonable sum.
I too, would like us to sign Caqueret. I believe a player of his type is more important to our midfield than Rice (especially with Pogba likely to leave). Wouldn't mind both, though.

bond19821982

The ‘system’ relies on finding players who fit into that system though which is the point, you scout players who have the right profile and not just because said players has certain stats etc. This is why players like Jota can fit into the system and maybe more lauded players than Jota was at wolves can not.

He definitely would make the bench he wouldn’t start though, all the players you mentioned work far harder score as many goals and play a better team game.

Sancho would start more often but he lacks the dynamism that Klopps likes in his wide forwards it’s not as simple as comparing stats but rather profiles and ho they fit in with the managers philosophy.

Sancho would be the perfect Pep winger though like a less dynamic more naturally talented Sterling.
What makes you think Rashford can't produce the numbers of Mane ? Infact, he already did that at an younger age. He is going through a bad form .

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I too, would like us to sign Caqueret. I believe a player of his type is more important to our midfield than Rice (especially with Pogba likely to leave). Wouldn't mind both, though.
Tchouameni would be my preferred choice for the DM role. He's better than Rice at defending a large space in a compact high block and can be utilised as both a DM and a box to box #8. He's the perfect profile for a team that wants to to play a proactive brand of football.

I agree about Caqueret, he's young and unlike Neves and Tielemans, he provides the ground coverage and mobility as well as the technical game to play alongside a Tchouameni, which would provide a solid base for the team to build attacks and also provide a defensive balance.

bond19821982

You didn't read anything he wrote.
I hate people being hyperbolic and then finally ending up as the arm chair expert - oh you didn't read anything.

I read every bit of it. If you have any counter arguments, feel free to post it.

Litch

He is absolutely nailed on to be signed for Utd and he seems to be making the right noises.

Hammondo

I hate people being hyperbolic and then finally ending up as the arm chair expert - oh you didn't read anything.

I read every bit of it. If you have any counter arguments, feel free to post it.
He said you cannot judge a player on numbers, so you argue numbers.

Gopher Brown

Let's not exaggerate.
13 and 20. Don't rely on easily disprovable statistics to make a point.

Borussia Teeth

Tchouameni would be my preferred choice for the DM role. He's better than Rice at defending a large space in a compact high block and can be utilised as both a DM and a box to box #8. He's the perfect profile for a team that wants to to play a proactive brand of football.

I agree about Caqueret, he's young and unlike Neves and Tielemans, he provides the ground coverage and mobility as well as the technical game to play alongside a Tchouameni, which would provide a solid base for the team to build attacks and also provide a defensive balance.
I haven't seen enough of Tchouameni to have an opinion but I do agree that if we were to get a technical midfielder like Caqueret, then we'd need a mobile ball winner who can cover ground.

I like Fred/McT as squad players but they shouldn't be starting week in week out. I think Rice would be an improvement over the two of them, but a technical Verratti/DeJong/Caqueret/Jorginho type of midfielder is what's most important.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I haven't seen enough of Tchouameni to have an opinion but I do agree that if we were to get a technical midfielder like Caqueret, then we'd need a mobile ball winner who can cover ground.

I like Fred/McT as squad players but they shouldn't be starting week in week out. I think Rice would be an improvement over the two of them, but a technical Verratti/DeJong/Caqueret/Jorginho type of midfielder is what's most important.
I think it's very important we don't compromise off the ball work by bringing in a midfielder who is weak at applying pressure and defending a large space. Unless the plan is to setup in a low/mid block which suits players like Tielemans/Neves, we should look to sign a conductor next to the DM who not only provides the craft and guile in possession but also is quick and mobile to help thwart counters. It's why I say that the profile of player is more important than experience or being prem proven. There's no point being prem proven or experienced if you're weak defending a large space.

Last edited:

Lentwood

SAF would have signed Declan Rice by now. Have to make our move in the Summer. I have been against blowing too much budget on one player but if we got Rice (and managed to renew Pogba) then what a midfield that would be with Bruno

::sonny::

Cost more than Dier, at same age Spurs wanted 80 million

Last edited:

Jacob

Same vibe as when we signed Carrick. Don't think we'll get him though.

Agent Gary is our only hope.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Anything above 70m is madness and Im sure we find a cheaper player. We dont have endless funds but need several positions to improve

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Anything about £30 million is insanity for this lad. Honestly, I'd love a puff on whatever the person who values him at £120mill is smoking.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Signing Rice will mean no striker, no starting RB and no RW. The team will always be weaker even after blowing £80m on him. We need to learn from our mistakes and build the team wholistically by spreading our investment on several cheaper players that may not be better individually but make for a balanced and hence stronger side.

The prices being touted for Rice will confortably get us two or three players in Portugal. The club has to smarten up ffs!
Objection! Speculation.

croadyman

Yeah there is no doubt we need both a ball winner and someone who has that technical quality as well, however just know those yankee leeches won't have it

croadyman

Anything above 70m is madness and Im sure we find a cheaper player. We dont have endless funds but need several positions to improve
Yeah would be different story IF we only had that one issue in the starting XI, however that isn't the case so need to be looking for shrewd deals

EtH

Just give them Rashford, Maguire and AWB for him. Moyes will be so giddy.

AneRu

Yeah there is no doubt we need both a ball winner and someone who has that technical quality as well, however just know those yankee leeches won't have it
We need a DM and a technical midfielder to replace Pogba but we also need a striker, a winger and a RB. In as much as he has proved himself to not be total garbage I am not convinced by Dalot and we know the story with AWB.

In light of the above, we can't go for Rice and do the other stuff too but I think we are fortunate that the Garner loan seems to be working so why not just take the plunge and give him his short so that we just sign the DM in midfield? We'd still have Fred and McT for the no. 8 role if he struggles.

For the RW we Sancho, though he looks better on the left but I think we can get away without signing a RW because we have Elanga, Rashford can continue to struggle in and out of the team and we were all impressed with what Pellistri showed at the WC qualifiers for Uruguay. I think we can get away with a bit more rotation for that side to see who cents his name on the team sheet along Sancho.

That leaves us needing to sign a striker, a DM and a RB. The Portuguese market is more reliable for this and I am sure that £100m could get us Palhinha and Darwin Nunez. We could use the remainder to scour the free agent market for a RB or just supplement with sales/wage savings to bring in a quality RB that can contribute at both ends of the pitch.

croadyman

We need a DM and a technical midfielder to replace Pogba but we also need a striker, a winger and a RB. In as much as he has proved himself to not be total garbage I am not convinced by Dalot and we know the story with AWB.

In light of the above, we can't go for Rice and do the other stuff too but I think we are fortunate that the Garner loan seems to be working so why not just take the plunge and give him his short so that we just sign the DM in midfield? We'd still have Fred and McT for the no. 8 role if he struggles.

For the RW we Sancho, though he looks better on the left but I think we can get away without signing a RW because we have Elanga, Rashford can continue to struggle in and out of the team and we were all impressed with what Pellistri showed at the WC qualifiers for Uruguay. I think we can get away with a bit more rotation for that side to see who cents his name on the team sheet along Sancho.

That leaves us needing to sign a striker, a DM and a RB. The Portuguese market is more reliable for this and I am sure that £100m could get us Palhinha and Darwin Nunez. We could use the remainder to scour the free agent market for a RB or just supplement with sales/wage savings to bring in a quality RB that can contribute at both ends of the pitch.
Should definitely be working alongside Ralf in the consultancy role with thinking like that

MiracleInMadrid

Blowing even close to that amount of money on him would seriuously hampen the chances of us spending serious money on a striker.

There much be cheaper options out there, which would leave a bigger budget for a starting striker.

lysglimt

Scout
Why would it scare you? Only a fool would pay 80m for Rice and not use their vast worldwide scouting system to get a player a third of that price on the continent.
Good luck finding a better player than Rice at £26 million. Esp if you take into consideration his age - and that he will get better with more experience.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think Rice can be got for £80m. I think he’ll hand in a transfer request too, been talk of him wanting out for a while now. For £80m I’d do the deal. He’s the right player I think.

A Pogba replacement (if he even leaves) and a striker are the next biggest priorities. Greenwood’s situation has really caused problems. We’ve unexpectedly lost a £100m forward. I don’t think RB is as critical as some, I think the options we have plus Laird can do the job.

We will also be shipping out far more players than usual which will bring in money.

croadyman

Think Rice can be got for £80m. I think he’ll hand in a transfer request too, been talk of him wanting out for a while now. For £80m I’d do the deal. He’s the right player I think.

A Pogba replacement (if he even leaves) and a striker are the next biggest priorities. Greenwood’s situation has really caused problems. We’ve unexpectedly lost a £100m forward. I don’t think RB is as critical as some, I think the options we have plus Laird can do the job.

We will also be shipping out far more players than usual which will bring in money.
Which striker do you think we should sign, obviously I know it's tricky to answer when we don't know who the manager will be

Status
Not open for further replies.